Recommend A PS3 Cooling Fan?

This is a discussion on Recommend A PS3 Cooling Fan? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So my system (320GB slim) is gonna be 3 years old in january (from purchase date), and recently its been ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

Recommend A PS3 Cooling Fan?

So my system (320GB slim) is gonna be 3 years old in january (from purchase date), and recently its been heating up a bit faster and a bit hotter than usual. I play it every single day (except for a few extremely rare occasions), most of the time for between 2-10 hours (total throughout the day).

I've been looking at some cooling fans from Best Buy, as I have a $25 gift card there, but the options they have don't seem too appealing, especially after reading the customer reviews. I was looking at these here:

Nyko Technologies, Inc Slim 83070 - Best Buy

CTA Digital, Inc SPS3HCPS - Best Buy

Right now I'm just using my regular room fan that is plugged into an outlet and have it pointed towards my system. Would anyone recommend that i do get a cooling fan designed for the PS3, and if so which would you recommend and where can I find it?

Thanx

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Personally Speaking i wouldn't recommend it cause i do see it's purpose What your currently doing is probably the best action to do ....but again it is my point of view you do as you feel the best

子連れ狼

How about the egg cartons that you suggested on another thread? Does that not work? just wondering.

Read it here PS3 fan noise

Unete al grupo: Jugadores Espaņol| xEl_Cidx's La Conquista | xEl_Cidx's recent Gaming Activities+ Boosting
    xEl_Cidx's Battle of the Sexes - Round 44 just started

ADMlNlSTRATOR

I support the use of cooling fans as long as they don't draw from the PS3 power supply. They need their own independent power source for me to back the decision. Personally, I use a PC fan that I had extra laying around. It sits directly beneath the unit, blowing air up and towards the back. I have 4 PS3 game cases holding up each side of the console to allow quality air flow beneath the unit.

Random Access Memories

Personally I just use 4 glass votive candle holders to lift my PS3 about 3/4 inch off the surface to improve air flow and let the internal fan do the work. Best advice is what Helyx said about not using the PS3's power source when using a fan though.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |Sig by Smashguy | GDT bar by
    djunglist|
    |Avy - Daft Punk returns|

Thanks to GDT for hosting awesome competitions!

Lvl 6 - Silver

I have a cooling fan. I've had mine for two years now. For the first two years it was amazing, it kept my ps3 really cool and it never overheated but after two years of use mine makes a whoover noice whenever it's turned on. The good thing about it is that when you plug it into the PS3's usb slot to power the fan, it has an extra USB port on the back of the USB so you basically don't use up a USB port to power it.

For two years of good use, it was definitely worth the small amount of money I paid for it.

[EDIT] I own this one: USB PS2 PS3 & Slim Cooler Cooling Pad 3 FAN Blue Light | eBay

Toggle Spoiler

Oh!, pretty flowers!

I had the same question some time ago, and, as far as I know, if you have AA on your room, you don't need anything, cause I read that using any kind of fan, makes the internal fan work more :c, as julius posted I have a wood table just for my PS3, and now it's working perfectly

Sig & avy by Dare!!

illegal in 9 countries

PS3 fans can have the opposite than intended effect. You can end up overheating your system rather than cooling it. Do not buy.

Clean the dust out of it and give it plenty of breathing room. Maybe consider placing it on its side. Anything beyond that is pure wank value. If the thing needed more cooling, it'd be built into the design.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Game Forum Managers

I wouldn't to be honest.

I tried a cooling fan when my PS3 was starting to heat up more. It was an externally powered fan but did not help.

If anything it made the PS3's cooling system louder. The PS3 died shortly thereafter but probably would have gone longer had I done something different.

With my next console I did just that. Instead I recommend cleaning the piss out of the system. Every spec of dust vacuum out. Don't push it back into the system. Wipe it with a semi-damp rag if you feel the need. But make sure you get all the dust off of it and you should be good. Also make sure the system has room to breathe by making sure it isn't cluttered with other things.

And I don't know if the later models came with it but when I bought my 80 Gig RC PS3 it came with a giant tag that warned about dust caussing a problem and warning the buyer to take care of the dust frequently to avoid cooling problems.

PRO Trophy Hunter

I used that cooling fan for my main PS3 but it didn't go well because it was too hot from that cooling fan. When my PS3 got overheat, I turned it off, and then I used my tower fan to cool my PS3 down, it worked for me. I done that before. I don't trust any cooling fans attach PS3.

My Checklist - Trophy Hunting Missions [CLICK THIS BANNER] Checklist Updated:
    Posted Weekly Report
    8/23/14

Posted Mission Failed
    8/24/14

Posted New Mission
    and Weeky Report
    8/31/14

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by xEl_Cidx View Post
    How about the egg cartons that you suggested on another thread? Does that not work? just wondering.

Read it here PS3 fan noise
    xEl_Cidx, it does work, but i hardly ever buy eggs, so i don't have access to egg cartons. while you dont need the 24 count egg carton, thats the one that works best. the only eggs in stores near me are the 12 count.

Lvl 7 - Gold

and it sounds like i really shouldn't get a fan at all. gonna hafta move things around in my room to get the PS3 in a more direct-line to the fan... laziness..........

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    I support the use of cooling fans as long as they don't draw from the PS3 power supply. They need their own independent power source for me to back the decision. Personally, I use a PC fan that I had extra laying around. It sits directly beneath the unit, blowing air up and towards the back. I have 4 PS3 game cases holding up each side of the console to allow quality air flow beneath the unit.
    This is exactly what a friend of mine has. He says it works great

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I have one, but it can get rather noisy !!!

Aes Dana

I have a stand that has three fans on the bottom which the ps3 sits on. It is powered by USB and has a cool looking neon blue light effect. I am not sure exactly how much it helps cool the ps3 but i never hear the ps3 fan get louder.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    I have a stand that has three fans on the bottom which the ps3 sits on. It is powered by USB and has a cool looking neon blue light effect. I am not sure exactly how much it helps cool the ps3 but i never hear the ps3 fan get louder.
    thats the same one i have