MY reflections and some questions for you :)

This is a discussion on MY reflections and some questions for you :) within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Well, this morning finally, after nearly a month, I made myself out of the hospital! (I had dengue), and first ...

Oh!, pretty flowers!

MY reflections and some questions for you :)

Well, this morning finally, after nearly a month, I made myself out of the hospital! (I had dengue), and first at all, I want to say thanks to some guys from this communitty that supported me a lot, and special thanks to Jaws for all the help he gave me on Borderlands plat&100%!, and thanks to Dare too for him patience lol

First at all, I just found, that mostly of the ps3/4/vita communities around are mostly like "How you will get x trophies", or people asking for help, etc... and I'm wondering... what happened to the "let's talk about how this game is, or the funny things we found"?, they appear to be mostly on Raptr and Steam, but it's hard to find this kind of things on sony's consoles forums.

Second thing, I started this PSN account when I was on the hospital, just to have like a "finish line" for all my games, getting the platinum, there were some games that I couldn't get it, so I just hide that trophies :$, they helped me a lot to get something to do, because being nearly a month on a bed, with medicines, analysis etc... well, it's not funny at all :/, thanks to a good friend, I got the most time consuming trophies of Agarest generations of war 0 and Trinity Universe (and by thanks to her I mean she got them for me :$), and I found that maybe, the most important thing about trophies, is find someone who enjoys to get them, work together, have fun, and make new friends, because some of the best friends I have, I met them playing online

1-Do the trophies kill the "let's have just fun" thing on a game, and they become the most important thing through mostly gamers?
    2-Why do you get trophies?
    3-When was the last time you sit side by side with a friend, and you keep playing a game just for fun?

Sig & avy by Dare!!

illegal in 9 countries

To me, trophies are a double-edged sword. They provide goals to achieve and a sense of accomplishment, but they also create performance pressure and suck the fun out a game.

I like to play games for the fun of it, but I also like to feel like I've completed them so I can move on to the next, so I use trophies as a way to track progress and as a log of my activities. But focusing too heavily on trophies devalues the fun to the point where I just don't enjoy playing some of the games I've started, but push on regardless to improve my trophy card and completion percentage. Not to mention the overwhelming temptation to cheat to get trophies, be it walkthroughs, trophy guides, boosting sessions, glitches & exploits, game save or trophy hacking, and we're all guilty of at least a couple.

This came to a head recently when I spent the whole of May playing shit games like FUEL for the online trophies before the servers close. I realised that I wasn't having fun doing it, so why the fuck am I doing it? Some contrived pretend pissing contest I really shouldn't have time to care about?

There are times when I want to play a new game just for the hell of it, but feel paralysed about the decision because of the trophy list and the time it'll take to get the Platinum. What the fuck is that? All I want to do is relax for a couple of hours and have some fun before the weight of real life comes crashing down on me again tomorrow.

Lately I'd much prefer to bang out a level or two of Skylanders or Invizimals or The Wonderful 101 with my son than hunt for PNGs and I find it infinitely more satisfying. So I've deleted most of my Friend list (boosters I've never played with again, nor talk to on forums or the PSN), stopped updating my checklist and hidden my trophies for all but my "Friends" to see. I'll keep playing on my account, but in the end, no-one gives a shit about your profile but you, so play what you want, however you want and forget about everyone else.

Negator

Trophies are always part of the fun, as I've been a completionist long before any type of digital trinkets were introduced. I regularly play couch coop with a close friend of mine at least 2 nights a week...every week...for the last decade.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 9 - Gold

always happy to help!!!

i will try for trophies, i will go to great lengths to get them. but if they require in incredible amount of anger (scream at the tv, lol), a lot of complicated boosting, or if I've tried numerous numerous numerous times to get a trophy, i won't bother any more. thats why i haven't platinumed Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard, Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel, Dead Island: Riptide and one other game i can't think of.

for like 95% of games I'll play, i'll do my first play through as a fun run, getting acquainted with the game, its story and controls, and then if i want to I'll continue playing for my trophy play through.

and actually the last time i played locally with friends was at my friend's birthday party. we were playing Family Guy: Back To the Multiverse... at least we were trying to... so much Jäger, beer and tequila, kinda makes it hard to shoot enemies lol

i think with trophies people now care about bragging rights and comparisons, myself included, however i haven't lost sight of the fact the video games are a form of entertainment, and are meant to be enjoyed and to have fun being playing them. thats the missing link these days, it seems

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Firstly, congrats on getting out of the Hospital.

Secondly, to answer your questions...

1- They can If you let them, I personally, will abandon a game if its making me slog through something unimportant just to get a trophy, stuff like Level 50 on MP, collect the 400 cryptic cookies of knowledge, that sort of thing. If i'm not enjoying it then I'm wasting time I could be spending on something I do/will enjoy playing. Gaming first, trophies second. I bloody love trophies though.

2. Trophies are shiny, virtual time stamps of you Playstation adventure, the good, the bad and the mediocre, that's why I collect them.

3. Couple of weeks ago, had a big pre-World Cup FIFA tourney, I finished second. Also played some Injustice, co-op Streets Of Rage II and Golden Axe. Great fun. Miss the days of frequent PES, Mario Kart, Timesplitters sessions of a decade ago. My son is nearly three now and he 'played' as Tails during my recent run on Sonic 2, he didn't do too bad either.

PRO Member

The pursuit of trophies certainly forces me into playing more of a game than I otherwise would. Watch Dogs is a classic example; I was so determined to get the Platinum, I spent a good few hours working on the bloody drinking games, which I would never have done if the trophies didn't exist.

Having said that though, I would never buy a game purely for easy trophies, I just aim to get as much out of the games that I really want to own as possible.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I get more out of games by going for the trophies. Without trophies I would probably never bother playing the game on Hard or going for all the collectibles. Makes me get my moneys worth. Still I never buy games for trophies on its own, has to be a game I think I will enjoy first

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Unhorned Unicorn View Post
    1-Do the trophies kill the "let's have just fun" thing on a game, and they become the most important thing through mostly gamers?
    Yes it does. They literally do nothing but people want them to the point where they make a huge deal out of it.

not to mention Trophies ruin/spoil the mood of a game when done incorrectly

the only time the achivement/trophy stuff is cool is when there's a massive landmark, like that Guy On XBL who was the first to 1 mil gamerscore.

If they offer a in-game reward i do it. otherwise who cares (I have more PNG trophy images than you do!)

3-When was the last time you sit side by side with a friend, and you keep playing a game just for fun?
    On a nintendo console or my PC because those two platforms actually give a shit about proper couch MP

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Yes it does. They literally do nothing but people want them to the point where they make a huge deal out of it.

the only time the achivement/trophy stuff is cool is when there's a massive landmark, like that Guy On XBL who was the first to 1 mil gamerscore.

If they offer a in-game reward i do it. otherwise who cares (I have more PNG trophy images than you do!)

On a nintendo console or my PC because those two platforms actually give a shit about proper couch MP

Once again, you start your opinion oh so well, and then proceed to smack it with a shitty stick of 'my choices are superior to yours' bollocks. It's like hanging out with the person who makes every topic about themselves.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

Again I wonder why you are on a site called PS3 Trophies.com if you hate them so much

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by parkerdip View Post
    Again I wonder why you are on a site called PS3 Trophies.com if you hate them so much
    i dont hate trophies

i hate people when people do them wrong, which is 99% of the time

at least Xbox tries to fix it by giving me a incentive to get gamerscore

Nintendo even is doing a achievement system called stamps (they don't call it a achivement system but we all know it is), I get a stamp for doing something and then i can use it in a miiverse drawing for that game (Example: I got a Stamp of a Mii Racer and Rosalina on a motorcycle from Mario Kart 8, i can stamp both down and draw on top of it to make this miiverse post.) it's more rewarding then getting a little png image you cant do anything with.

If i make a game, i promise that every "achivement" will do something in-game rewarding.

Lvl 4 - Silver

This topic seems like a good one to discuss but it got lost 3 weeks ago. I see that posters had differences and maybe that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhorned Unicorn View Post
    Sorry you were ill and in the hospital. It's awesome that you and other members here were playing together to achieve trophies. I'm sure that was good to have that while chilling in bed for so long.

If you let them, trophies and the hunt can consume you and suck the fun out of playing all together. If you start worrying more about how many of this trophy or that trophy you have, your trophy card, and completion rate, you may start playing games for their trophies. You may even play games you wouldn't just because of trophies. I don't think I let trophies get in the way of why I play video games and I play video games for an escape from reality, for fun, a challenge and yes, a little achievement here and there.

I like collecting trophies a lot. I love the little art on them usually designed within the theme of the game. I love completing a game and having all the trophies as milestones of my game play. I don't care for your trophies vs. mine but I do enjoy leveling up my trophy level. Also, I love looking at my trophy list and all my games percentages. Trophies for me are just extra fun added to gaming.

Unfortunately, I don't really have any friends that play video games. It sucks because I can't really share cool experiences or discuss games I like to anyone. I sometimes just have to tell somebody and my wife will listen, but she doesn't understand really. She'll get an itch to sit down and play a game with me sometimes, but shes no gamer. I did though over the last year started playing Minecraft with her little brother. It's actually pretty fun building in that game with someone. I don't even think he knows about trophies though, and we just have fun.

Flesh is heretic /
    My body is a witch /
    I am burning it

Hello