Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Consoles won't live to see 2020

This is a discussion on Consoles won't live to see 2020 within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; This article is about "gadgets" that will be phased out by at least 2020. Here's the section about game consoles: ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Consoles won't live to see 2020

This article is about "gadgets" that will be phased out by at least 2020. Here's the section about game consoles:
    Popular video game systems such as the Wii, PlayStation and Xbox may still be in homes next decade, but they will look much different. Rather than buy a separate console, Enderle expects that consumers will instead buy smart televisions with a gaming system built into it, not to mention tablets and smartphones that will continue to ramp up their gaming options.

“It looks like analog game systems won’t make it until the end of the decade,” Enderle says. “You are already seeing the Wii have a tough time holding on to the market and PlayStation has been struggling for a while.”

The gaming systems that will succeed in the future will be those that manage to move away from being focused solely on video games and more on other entertainment options such as movies, evolving from a traditional game console into more of a set-top box.
    Source: 7 Gadgets That Won't Be Around In 2020 - Yahoo! Shopping

Do you agree or is this prediction far fetched?

Lvl 7 - Gold

Doom has to agree only because the world is supposed to end next year anyway so I doubt 2020 will be the date to phase out consoles.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

this is just as real to happen as the last day of the world being may 21st 2011
    ohhhhh wait a minu...yup
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    ohhhhh wait a minu...yup
    Actually it was the end of the world...at least for my little brother. I have proof.

Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

The gaming systems that will succeed in the future will be those that manage to move away from being focused solely on video games and more on other entertainment options such as movies, evolving from a traditional game console into more of a set-top box.
    I'm sorry but, don't PlayStation 3 and X-Box 360 consoles already do this?

Do I think that tablets and smart phones will ever take the place of consoles? Hell no. People like the feel of a controller in their hands, people enjoy the aspect of being able to sit there in their own home - with their gigantic TVs, their surround sound systems, their favorite little gaming spot, and relaxing while taking part of an interactive experience.

"Experts" have been trying to predict the death of consoles for about a decade now, and each time they have come up short. Amazingly with the way technology has worked out, it isn't the cable box that delivered us the games, it was the game consoles that delivered the cable functions, and replaced the rental store that was commonplace for 25 years up until about 6 years ago.

Want my take on what the future is? Consoles taking over even more functions, including the cable box, and offer more options for things like iTunes, Amazon, and other popular features. I see the next generation of hand helds adding ebook functions, full on application features, and even the tools to create your own applications included. I see mail-in rental services (like Gamefly, and Blockbuster) being completely replaced with streaming services that are handled by Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo respectively, at cheaper prices and with constant availability.

If anything, I'd look out if I were the telephone, or the cable box, or the satellite dish, because it's much more likely the consoles in 2020 take over their spots, than vice-versa.

As for handheld gaming being replaced by tablets and smartphones? I somewhat doubt that, because I think it is more likely that their functions will be built into handheld's sooner than later. I think that it starts with coming up with a user friendly, and speedy browser on your handhelds, as a first step. We'll see how the Vita works out in the coming year, because that might speak for what side comes out as the "way of the future." But for the first time, the hand held market should definitely start to feel at least somewhat threatened.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

illegal in 9 countries

I won't be buying a TV with a built-in game console. Integrating the two means more things can go wrong. Would you buy a new TV every two years or send it back to the manufacturer if you got the RRoD or YLoD?

I buy a TV with a 20 year lifespan in mind. I buy a console for a good 5-10 years of entertainment before getting the next iteration. Based on that simple logic, the two should never be combined.

This is yet another quasi-tech article written by an inept non-gaming n00b. Consoles are already media servers with support for audio, movies, photos and TV. Tablets won't replace consoles due to piss-poor touch controls, and smart phones are casual gaming devices for when you have a few minutes to kill.

If anything, consoles will continue to dominate as gamers move away from computers as the power gap between the two platforms continues to decline. Why spend thousands on the latest & greatest gaming rig every few years when a few hundred bucks on a console will play the same games with less hassle?

As for portable / mobile gaming - the Vita is on the right path as an adjunct to your home console, not a replacement. Taking your games with you via cloud-synced saves is far more realistic than replacing a home entertainment system with a handheld.

IMHO we're also more likely to move away from enormous, expensive auto-stereoscopic TV's with integrated consoles (which no doubt, will exist) to personal headsets like Sony's upcoming whackamawidget thingamajig, which will offer full visual and audio immersion with no peripheral pollution to distract us from our gaming / music / movies / ebooks / web surfing.

PS3 News: Sony: 3D headset will 'revolutionise games, movies forever' - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

This is just the gimmicky prototype for a new way to interface with our home entertainment, but if you're going to spitball about gaming in the 2020's, go deep. Bang a compass, gyroscope, eye-tracking and voice recognition into a wireless autostereoscopic 3D / 7.1 surround sound headset and sell it at a relatively cheap price compared to a TV and why wouldn't they take off as the go-to home gaming interface of the future? Afterall, how we entertain ourselves is a personal thing, so it makes sense to embrace that within the home rather than forcing everyone to participate in the same activity.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 10-20-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Resident PHD

Oh Sega channel how I miss you

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 9 - Gold

ohhhhh wait a minu...yup
    no the world ends december 21st 2012 duh

Lvl 9 - Gold

From Yahoo shopping... No wonder they are clueless. This is easily the dumbest thing I've read all week. Thx for the post.

PRO Member

Nobody know the future LOL

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Rob Enderle, the guy who is quoted in the console section, is a well known Micro$oft Shill, who couldn't give an honest opinion if you paid him. Well, I suppose being a shill he'll give you whatever opinion you want when you pay him.

He's mainly an anti-apple guy, at least historically, as well as anti FOSS (Free and Open Software) I wouldn't believe the guy if he said I was on fire and I could smell my hair burning, feel my skin burning and see myself in a mirror.

With regard to what he said, like Anti said, I can see the consoles becoming more like pc's/media centers, which for the PS3 isn't too much of a step, but for M$/Nintendo is more work for them to do. Although I'm not sure M$ will necessarily make the move, probably releasing a cheaper console compared to the future iterarations of the PS but with more limited functionality so as not to stamp all over the cash they make on their PC software. I suppose we'll see their direction with the next x-box.
    I was thinking about boasting about my :plat:'s and 100%'s, but then I thought why bother, not like they're anything amazing.

YLOD: 9/10/11. RIP

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I won't be buying a TV with a built-in game console. Integrating the two means more things can go wrong. Would you buy a new TV every two years or send it back to the manufacturer if you got the RRoD or YLoD?

I buy a TV with a 20 year lifespan in mind. I buy a console for a good 5-10 years of entertainment before getting the next iteration. Based on that simple logic, the two should never be combined.

This is yet another quasi-tech article written by an inept non-gaming n00b. Consoles are already media servers with support for audio, movies, photos and TV. Tablets won't replace consoles due to piss-poor touch controls, and smart phones are casual gaming devices for when you have a few minutes to kill.

If anything, consoles will continue to dominate as gamers move away from computers as the power gap between the two platforms continues to decline. Why spend thousands on the latest & greatest gaming rig every few years when a few hundred bucks on a console will play the same games with less hassle?

As for portable / mobile gaming - the Vita is on the right path as an adjunct to your home console, not a replacement. Taking your games with you via cloud-synced saves is far more realistic than replacing a home entertainment system with a handheld.

IMHO we're also more likely to move away from enormous, expensive auto-stereoscopic TV's with integrated consoles (which no doubt, will exist) to personal headsets like Sony's upcoming whackamawidget thingamajig, which will offer full visual and audio immersion with no peripheral pollution to distract us from our gaming / music / movies / ebooks / web surfing.

PS3 News: Sony: 3D headset will 'revolutionise games, movies forever' - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

This is just the gimmicky prototype for a new way to interface with our home entertainment, but if you're going to spitball about gaming in the 2020's, go deep. Bang a compass, gyroscope, eye-tracking and voice recognition into a wireless autostereoscopic 3D / 7.1 surround sound headset and sell it at a relatively cheap price compared to a TV and why wouldn't they take off as the go-to home gaming interface of the future? Afterall, how we entertain ourselves is a personal thing, so it makes sense to embrace that within the home rather than forcing everyone to participate in the same activity.
    Yeah i agree, if one breaks then you need to buy another TV?? which is just annoying as I assume this will raise the price of consoles, if not it may be okay but then you have also have to buy a new tv if a new console comes out annoying, It's kinda like the all in one pc if the monitor breaks, I'm assuming you need a new PC.

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

INTJ

consoles will basically become Gagged PC's Eventually.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsoldier36 View Post
    no the world ends december 21st 2012 duh
    actually people believe the world is supposed to end tomorrow look it up
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

illegal in 9 countries

actually people believe the world is supposed to end tomorrow look it up
    It's 11:10pm here in Oz. If I don't post in an hour, assume the world has ended.

Lvl 5 - Silver

If this will be the reality in the future I wont accept it HELL NO
    Quote of the week:
    "For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories." - Plato

Lvl 2 - Bronze

If people keep using it and spend money on it then I'm pretty sure it won't die.
    I rather have the new method as another option for gaming instead of replacing others.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I think there will be a next generation of console gaming. After that who knows but I wouldn't like the idea of built in consoles within tv's. Are you telling me I have to port my whole tv to my friends house? Or wait till thanksgiving dinner is over to take over the front room? jkk either way i SAY that just sounds a little to much.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

The only sane person here

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Doom View Post
    Actually it was the end of the world...at least for my little brother. I have proof.

LOL that's funny

Platinum Dohvakiin

A) this guy is an idiot.
    B) I wonder how much M$ paid him
    C) Why does this entire thing. Sounds like the ground work. For an Ad Campaign for the 360 becoming a cable box?

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast