My 160GB PS3 Won't Play Games

This is a discussion on My 160GB PS3 Won't Play Games within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; My used 160GB PS3 is refusing to play any of my physical retail game bluray discs. I think it's the ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

My 160GB PS3 Won't Play Games

My used 160GB PS3 is refusing to play any of my physical retail game bluray discs.

I think it's the bluray drive/laser, but not 100% sure. Anyways, I was hoping someone here could help me solve the issue please?

Preferably without having to spend any money, I'll be broke until July 26th.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Will it play dvd's or cd's? If it will then yeah its the laser. Mine did the same thing about 2 yrs ago and it cost me about $25 dollars to get a new laser for it. Fixed it myself with the help of a video on youtube. Took about half an hour. Got the laser lens off of Amazon.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by MadMardigan_88 View Post
    Will it play dvd's or cd's? If it will then yeah its the laser. Mine did the same thing about 2 yrs ago and it cost me about $25 dollars to get a new laser for it. Fixed it myself with the help of a video on youtube. Took about half an hour. Got the laser lens off of Amazon.
    Do you remember the name of the $25 PS3 laser you bought from Amazon? I'd gladly appreciate it, money is on a tight budget for me. I don't have a job or social security, so I have to rely on my family and friends for money.

Negator

There are no 'lens cleaners' that will ever work. You'll need to replace the hardware inside the console.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    There are no 'lens cleaners' that will ever work. You'll need to replace the hardware inside the console.
    Sorry about that, I meant to say PS3 laser, not lens cleaner.

Hopefully it's still $25 now though...with the PS4 out it could be more expensive.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Update: I had my friend look at my 160GB Slim PS3 again, and apparently it's either the Blu-Ray drive itself that's malfunctioning, which will cost me $80 New on eBay, or it's the HDD, in which case I'm hoping just formatting it and re-installing the PS3 OS will fix the problem.

If it is the HDD and formatting/reinstalling doesn't work, I have my eyes set on a 500GB Western Digital for only $50 New on Amazon.

I just hope they're not both malfunctioning, I can't afford to spend $130 all at once.