Remember the PSN hack back in 2011?

This is a discussion on Remember the PSN hack back in 2011? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Well, apparently, Sony has agreed to give away free games, PS+ memberships and MONEY!!! (to those who qualified) Here's a ...

Plats-O'-War!!

Remember the PSN hack back in 2011?

Well, apparently, Sony has agreed to give away free games, PS+ memberships and MONEY!!! (to those who qualified) Here's a snippet of the article

Anyway, based on Sony's settlement offer as it stands, here are the highlights:

• Claimants in the case who didn't get anything from the Welcome Back campaign Sony ran back in 2011 (but who were active PSN account holders at the time) are able to choose two of the following three freebies: a free PS3 or PSP game (from an as-yet unseen list), some PS3 themes or three free months of PlayStation Plus.

• These claims are only on a first-come, first-served basis. Once Sony has given out $6,000,000 of games/themes/subs to those folks, the deal is off, and anyone still after something will get one month's free PS Plus.

• If you did get a free game from the Welcome Back campaign, you can choose one of the above options (game, themes or 3 months of PS Plus) instead of two. That offer is also capped, this time at $4,000,000, with the same one-month PS Plus deal available to anyone who misses out.

• Anyone with an active account who lost unused PlayStation Store credits will, if their balance was above $2, get that money back.

• If you were a Netflix or Hulu Plus subscriber who couldn't access their account, you're eligible for three free months of PlayStation Plus.

• Anyone able to prove they had their identity stolen as a result of the hacks that caused the downtime is eligible for up to $2500.
    As said above, since this isn't final, you can't actually sign up and make your claims yet. There will also be a toll-free phone number and mailing address available. Once you can (and who knows, that might take a while), we'll let you know.
    Sony Agrees To Give Away Games, Money After 2011 PSN Hack

Thoughts?

Negator

My thoughts on free stuff? I totally support it.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Forget I Was Ever Here

Just when is the actual date if it's first come first serve!!!!

It is time for me to go underground

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoo_Hoo_Sniper View Post
    Just when is the actual date if it's first come first serve!!!!
    Not sure, but I'm positive it'll be soon!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    Not sure, but I'm positive it'll be soon!

Considering this is the result of the class suit filed against Sony it may actually be a while before this is implemented. Court settlements aren't exactly know for their speeding responses, plus this is just Sony's offer- they have yet to put together anything or even have the deal approved yet so it may not come along for a while.
    "I do not agree with a word you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."- Voltaire

The First Wrestling Platinum Grand Slam Winner on PS3Trophies.com

Trophy Checklist: http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/tr...-doghouse.html

Lvl 7 - Gold

I'm definitely happy to see this, but the real winners are the lawyers. We get access to downloads which will cost Sony next to nothing. The settlement has Sony paying all court costs, and then an additional $2.75m to the lawyers involved.

If anyone ever thought of filing suit in the future over that breach, perhaps if their banking information is compromised and they suspect it originally came from hacked information, they'll be crap out of luck, because the fine print in accepting these offers from Sony will have you waive your right to further claim(s) in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalunderdog View Post
    Considering this is the result of the class suit filed against Sony it may actually be a while before this is implemented. Court settlements aren't exactly know for their speeding responses, plus this is just Sony's offer- they have yet to put together anything or even have the deal approved yet so it may not come along for a while.
    The settlement was already approved by a U.S. District Court in California. A little more on the subject courtesy Game Informer :

Court Approves Sony Settlement In 2011 PSN Data Breach Case - News - www.GameInformer.com

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

The only sane person here

Always nice to receive free stuff.

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by KingLazy View Post
    Always nice to receive free stuff.
    It is, just hope its something most haven't played. One of my friends said they should give us free reign in the store to pick what we want. We all know that's not gonna happen Would be interesting if it did happen.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Everybody loves free stuff, now if someone tells you they do not like free stuff they are lying

Lvl 9 - Gold

I'm getting sick and tired of US always getting these things and neglecting UK or other countries. We were affected as well!

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by parkerdip View Post
    I'm getting sick and tired of US always getting these things and neglecting UK or other countries. We were affected as well!
    Why don't you just make a US account so you're taken care of in case something happens again…I have a European account as well as my American one just in case Europe ever gets something free that I want that I don't need a Plus account for.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedkinpark View Post
    Why don't you just make a US account so you're taken care of in case something happens again…I have a European account as well as my American one just in case Europe ever gets something free that I want that I don't need a Plus account for.
    I shouldn't have to make another account. They should just cover us over here. I am a loyal customer and deserves the same as people in US.

Plats-O'-War!!

I shouldn't have to make another account. They should just cover us over here. I am a loyal customer and deserves the same as people in US.
    Well, maybe you should start a online petition for the UK? I'm more than sure you'll get hella signatures for this.

member since Oct 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedkinpark View Post
    My understanding is you have to sign for the suit and you have to reside in the US. Having a NA account living elsewhere doesn't cut it.

Lvl 7 - Gold

They should give everyone a copy of Watch_Dogs, just for the irony of it.

Lvl 7 - Gold

They're not doing this to be nice. They're doing this because there was a class action lawsuit in the U.S., and giving free games was a clever way to avoid paying out cash. They're not really neglecting UK, users in the UK just never asked in the proper way to get a corporation to give in to the common man.

I don't know the legal system and laws of UK (or anywhere outside the US for that matter), so I don't know if you have the ability to take a large corporation to court seeking damages for the incident. If you do, you'll get the same treatment as US users are receiving - a cheap settlement via free downloads.

Besides...your PS+ blows ours out of the water, so you still come out ahead even without the offer of a few extra downloads :lol:.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE