Aftershocks: Sony Settles For PSN Hack, 15 Million USD Payout

This is a discussion on Aftershocks: Sony Settles For PSN Hack, 15 Million USD Payout within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Sony tries to make PlayStation Network hack row go away with $15m in cash and games € The Register Sony ...

INTJ

Aftershocks: Sony Settles For PSN Hack, 15 Million USD Payout

Sony tries to make PlayStation Network hack row go away with $15m in cash and games € The Register

Sony has offered a $15m settlement to gamers after its PlayStation Network (PSN) was comprehensively pwned, but it refuses to admit that it was at fault.

In April 2011 the Japanese giant was forced to shut down PSN after hackers got into its system and pillaged user accounts for information. While credit card information was protected, the personal account information of 77 million users was compromised and it was nearly two months before all PSN services were turned back on.

Gamers were understandably miffed at the company and many of them filed lawsuits, which were later combined into one massive class-action suit. In a bid to make the suit go away Sony has proposed a settlement which includes free games, subscriptions and cash payouts to anyone who can prove their identify was stolen as a result of the hack.

Sony is willing to offer all PSN members who were knocked offline either one free game for the PSP or PS3 from a selection of 14 titles, three PS3 themes from a choice of six, or a three-month subscription to the PlayStation Plus service.

These goodies will be handed out on a first-come first-served basis and when the value of the handouts reaches $6m then Sony will just offer a month's free PlayStation Plus membership.

Users of Sony's Qriocity music streaming service (now called Music Unlimited) who were unable to listen to their favorite tunes during the outage will get a month's free access to the service. Customers who can prove that their identity was stolen and financial harm ensued can get up to $2,500 in expenses, according to Sony's offer, and those who lost in-game currency can also claim limited compensation.

Before you rush off to register, bear in mind that this is only a provisional offer – a judge has to examine it and see if it's fair. A final settlement isn't expected until next year at the earliest.

another free vidya game or 3 Months of PS Plus if the Judge Accepts the settlement for people who prove their identity was stolen.

ADMlNlSTRATOR

So, what are these 14 games?

ToQ6

thought when they gave us 2 free games before hand plus if you had the then psp and ps3 you got basically 4 free games albet from the $20 or under list lol, and 1 month free ps+ which they then offered nothing good for that entire month everyone was getting free was the end all want, but with this there going to give us 1 more free game????? hope if that's the case that they dig from there $40 to $50 titles and that theres better selections other then lbp and infamous and don't get me wrong cause those were good games but it was silly to get the welcome back package and not get much to chose from

Plat Bar By Knucklesmash (finally stable)

Lvl 7 - Gold

i bought my PS3 in 2012. i think its funny that i want to be part of this free game stuff, yet it would've been at the cost of all my personal information

MUCH THANX TO BLADIA FOR THE KICKASS SIG!!!

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Can't really see the problem with that offer, the alternative is what exactly? Give everyone a share of the lawsuit in cash? I suppose you could just about buy an avatar out of the winnings. Also, worth straightening out, it would be free games or Plus months for anyone affected and cash comp for people who can prove they suffered financially as a result of the hack.

I'm all for proper cash compensation for someone who has actually suffered a grievous harm to their bank account as a result of the hack, but it's laughable in this day and age to think some people will scream and whine about their details being leaked from the PSN hack, whilst telling the world every aspect of their life on social media and/or pirate movies, games and music because they think it's their God-given right to have everything for free.

I was beggining to worry we'd lost our chief bear-poker after a few days of inactivity, but nevermind, here you be. Welcome back Ps360.
    Credit to the awesome ERICVOLTAGE for that. ^

Lvl 7 - Gold

hmmm all seems interestingly like a flash in the pan stuff, hardly worth even registering probably....

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaws-ate View Post
    i bought my PS3 in 2012. i think its funny that i want to be part of this free game stuff, yet it would've been at the cost of all my personal information
    Keep in mind that this lawsuit was for PSN, SOE, and whatever the Sony media service is called (Qricity I think?). Right now there has yet to be a verified case of identify theft from the PSN hack. Seeing as a civil suit like this is not "beyond a reasonable doubt," I would lean towards that actually being the case.

This makes sense because, atleast on the PSN side, the billing/CC data was encrypted and passwords were hashed (i.e. the only thing verified as plain text is name/address/phone-number). I wish I could say that is not common, but I do agree with the judge in this case with respect to Sony's liability.

This goes doubly-so as they were using a linux version that was already in EOL in 2011.

Side note: As I discussed in the thread shortly after the hack, hashing and encryption are different. At the time people were harping over and over about it being hashed and the fact Sony didn't. You only hash passwords (hashing is 1-way); you don't need to know them as the authenticating body, only need to know its correct. Encryption is the 2-way process, so data that needs to be retrieved in its true form is encrypted not hashed.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by supersonicjc View Post
    thought when they gave us 2 free games before hand plus if you had the then psp and ps3 you got basically 4 free games albet from the $20 or under list lol, and 1 month free ps+ which they then offered nothing good for that entire month everyone was getting free was the end all want, but with this there going to give us 1 more free game????? hope if that's the case that they dig from there $40 to $50 titles and that theres better selections other then lbp and infamous and don't get me wrong cause those were good games but it was silly to get the welcome back package and not get much to chose from
    You got games at no cost to you and now you are getting more free games. What exactly is your problem?

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Platmate Editor in Chief