Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sony Announces PS3 3D Display Release Date & Features

This is a discussion on Sony Announces PS3 3D Display Release Date & Features within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Sony Announces PS3 3D Display Release Date & Features | Game Rant PS3 owners were ripe with excitement and full ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

Sony Announces PS3 3D Display Release Date & Features

Sony Announces PS3 3D Display Release Date & Features | Game Rant

PS3 owners were ripe with excitement and full of questions at E3 earlier this year, when Sonyís 3D display for the PlayStation was unveiled. The big question was the release date, which has now been made official by Sony: November 13th

When gamers purchase the display for $499.99, they will receive the 3D display, one pair of 3D glasses, the MotorStorm Apocalypse Blu-ray game, and an HDMI cable. Obviously, one must have a PS3 already at home.

The 3D display, which supports any resolution up to and including 1080p (1920 x 1080), also works just fine as a 2D display, allowing gamers to watch their favorite movies in high-definition or play games in HD.

The display supports both active 3D technology and passive 3D technology, though differentiating between the two can be confusing. The main difference is the 3D resolution: active 3D also supports full HD playback and requires active 3D glasses. Passive 3D only supports half the resolution of active and requires the use of polarized passive 3D glasses.

One of the unique features of the display is SimulView. The SimulView enables multiple players to each enjoy their own display on the same television. Traditionally, the screen is split in half when two players sit down to battle it out. However, with SimulView, each player receives their own full 2D HD screen while wearing the 3D glasses. Basically, youíre getting two screens in one.

Currently, SimulView is only available on this 3D display and is not a function of other Sony 3D televisions. All thatís required to use this very unique feature is two sets of 3D glasses and a PS3 game that supports this feature (and obviously an opponent). On launch day, players will be able to use this feature with MotorStorm Apocalypse, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 3, and Super Stardust HD.

Sony is promising 3D support for older games, though information on specific titles is not known at this point. There are currently 35 games available to play in full 3D, with eight more titles in the works. The PlayStation Video Store supports stereoscopic 3D films, and currently has 18 titles to choose from. And of course, any 3D Blu-ray will play on the display as well.

Home 3D systems are becoming more common, though the price might make it a novelty for most gamers. The biggest drawback that this display (or any 3D system) faces is its use is limited to the number of 3D glasses the owner has. Coming in at $69.99, Sonyís glasses might be more affordable than the typical 3D glasses on the market, but that is still $69.99 per pair. Itís a hard sell to invest more capital into additional pairs of glasses Ė heck, it almost makes you want to charge guests for playing games or watching movies at your house. Good luck with those friends coming back over.

All that said, get this display and you are almost guaranteed to have the best setup on the block. Maybe even for two blocks.

Will you be picking up the PlayStation 3D Display this November? Do you think home 3D systems are worth the investment?

The Sony PlayStation 3D Display launches on November 13, 2011.

Crocodile Hunter

Sig by Apokolypz

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

that 3D technolgy is only meant for to experience once in a while for a short period of time
    not watching TV, movies and playing games for hours
    that will mess you up
    no thanks pass
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 3 - Bronze

The tv is small as hell too! I play on a 52", I definitely will not downgrade to a small ass 24"! Sorry, not this guy!

Lvl 7 - Gold

still to expensive to buy

Lvl 9 - Gold

One of the unique features of the display is SimulView. The SimulView enables multiple players to each enjoy their own display on the same television. Traditionally, the screen is split in half when two players sit down to battle it out. However, with SimulView, each player receives their own full 2D HD screen while wearing the 3D glasses. Basically, you’re getting two screens in one.
    Seems to be the only thing I want from that deal. It's a cheap deal if you want a small but decent 3d tv, but when I'm used to 50-3D 65inch, I'm not going to cut my size by over half the display. I will look forward to future Sony tv's supporting this feature though because that is a immediate sale to me for a 50+inch tv. I love playing splitscreen with friends so that is beyond badass. I just hope they can set it up to rock 4 players like that. 4 player splitscreen all seeing a 50-65in without the shrinking of their screen.... Awesome. Makes for a better FPS experience too since people can't cheat and see where you are.

PRO Member

ok ill admit the the co-op part sounds AMAZING
    But still i don't think ill be buying this just yet because of the same reasons mentioned above and because i've never been a very big 3D fan anyways

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

Threat

I pre-ordered this when it was first announced. Good to know it's coming out earlier then I expected.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

PRO Member

I have a Sony XBR46HX929 3D tv and I must say I was impressed with it, However I don't use the 3D feature for more than 1-2 hours at a time as its good to give your eyes a rest from it.

I love playing Nazi Zombies in 3D!!!

PRO Member

Yeah I agree experiencing 3d for prolonged periods does seem to mess me up.... although that might just be lol

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

i love 3d.i watched transformers 3 at the cinemas in 3d,but there is only so much 3d i can take so i couldnt warrant buying anything like that.im more than happy with blu ray.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

It sounds great except I play on a 42 inch screen which is perfect for me,I don't think I could got to a tv that small

Sig by dsluckay

PRO Member

samsung are releasing something similar soon,well similar as in simulveiw but in 40" tvs.
    I got sammy 40" 750 series and thought home 3d was overrated until recently 3d is the future.also though you can only play it for short periods but English p.l. is awesome in 3d but not on such a small screen.I =t wouldn't be worth it

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by dividsmythe View Post
    samsung are releasing something similar soon,well similar as in simulveiw but in 40" tvs.
    I got sammy 40" 750 series and thought home 3d was overrated until recently 3d is the future.also though you can only play it for short periods but English p.l. is awesome in 3d but not on such a small screen.I =t wouldn't be worth it
    When it comes to 3d, the bigger the tv the better... Smaller tv's won't do it any justice, but ya. That Simulview sounds bad ass... I can't wait for that to be released into bigger tv's.

PRO Member

Already own a Sony Bravia 3D TV

Me & Ming @ The Stash

I already wear prescription glasses so putting 3D one's in front of those or just wearing the 3D glasses gives me a headache. So I'll pass. The SimulView does seem cool though.

Awesomeness thanks to:Thunder for platbar | Bladia for sig | Sigs & Beyond

Death is Awaiting....

Yeah the SimulView looks interesting, but not enough for me to buy it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Um...no thanks?

The One and Only

That's secondary for me. Fancy things that are expensive to me I can live without, so I'll pass

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

The only sane person here

I don't know about you guys but this is ideal for the Small room/Dorm places which is pretty good for me plus I could use a new monitor as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast