Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

What killed this site?

This is a discussion on What killed this site? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I've been here since 09 and it's sad to see the shape the site is in now. We have lost ...

PRO Member

I've been here since 09 and it's sad to see the shape the site is in now. We have lost a lot of great members in that time for different reasons. Some elected not to come back after the crash, others had problems with staff, and others just because of real life stuff. All sites have to deal with members moving on though and don't become this dead.

I see the problem here as ps3t.com not being able to compete with the other trophy sites in bringing in new members. Try and look at it from a new trophy hunters point of view or a first time playstation owner.

1. The name ps3trophies.com makes the site look old and lacking information with the ps4 being out almost a year now.

2.The look of the site is dated compared to other trophy sites (not even close to one in particular).

3.The leaderboards and trophy stats on a sister site is to much of a hassle. Even if they were to get it working like it used to another site does it better anyway.

4.Much easier to find boosting partners and get your game related questions answered on other sites due to more active members.

So why would you choose here over the others?

The only thing i can think of is some of the guides are written better here but the guides other places are usually good enough to get the job done.

Numbers 1, 2, and 3 can only be fixed by the owners with a site overhaul and as they say "if you build it, they will come" taking care of #4 in the process.

I'd like to the staff who seem to be trying there damnedest to keep the site going and a to those still hanging around after all these years. It really feels like we are all on a sinking ship at this point though.

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist

Lvl 9 - Gold

Another reason, the biggest reason for me, and it's been brought up before, is that a lot of other people on this site are just on here to take potshots at others and criticize them or make fun of them or bash them, often for no apparent reason. I myself have been on this site less and less because I'm tired of posting a question about a game that I am genuinely confused about, and people calling me an idiot for not knowing it, like every single person on earth, even those who haven't played the game, know how to do it. i make a thread about something just to get people talking, usually in the general chit-chat area, get peoples opinions and ideas, and stimulate conversation, and all i get are hate responses or people being rude or swearing at one another. It's gotten so bad lately that this place has started to become a ghetto, or a run-down neighborhood that everyone rolls up their windows and locks their doors before going through.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

You can blame a myriad of factors, but clearly, the major one is down to the oft-promised overhaul never happening. Only one person can truly answer that one, but it seems more and more likely the first we'll know of it will be the day the site just vanishes.

There are so many people on here, staff or otherwise, who keep this site alive despite little backing from the very top. You can create all the content you like, but if nobody gets to know about it then you're pissing in the wind.
    I'll add that I find it rather odious for anyone to stroll back here, without having participated to any reasonable degree in recent months, and shrug their shoulders as they quip ''Jeez what happened to this site?'' Sure, you can't disagree with what's in front of you, it's fucking bleak, but a bit of a douchey statement nonetheless.

As for the 'staff rudeness' debate. I've had petty arguements with newcomers, old hands and staff members alike over the years. Not many, as I'm not generally that way inclined, but the level of power involved never changed how stubborn or twattish a person comes across, it just seems like it does. Often, the divide comes down to opinionated users clashing with opinionated staff, which is pretty much the way of the internet forums across the board.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Actually, I am still here, just lurking much more than actual posting, since I have both real life and games to juggle in between lately, and also that I have a lot of friends on PSN that I frequently exchange messages with, thus giving me no time to actually post on these forums. That, and the commitment to a clan (in Destiny, for example) helping other people get the Flawless Raider trophy too (I got it last time).

In retrospect, this forum is not really dead. We are still around, but I just do not post as often as before now.
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Get bent...

I've been a member on this site since before the 'crash'. I recently went through a forum name change though (formerly known as Tyrion619).

The main reason I don't post that much anymore is because I only own an XB1 right now. Had to decide whether or not to sell my PS4 or XB1 when some unexpected bills came up a couple months ago. Since the kids play on the XB1 (PS4 was off-limits), I decided to get rid of the PS4.

I still lurk around and post occasionally though.

I noticed the site dying in the forum games section. Some of the threads there would have new posts sometimes every few minutes. Hours at the most. Now there's weeks in between posts sometimes (Male vs Female thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Zeiharu View Post
    However the other nail in the coffin was when we no longer could be independent and had to rely on our sister sites to get all of our information.
    We have a sister site? What is this?
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

illegal in 9 countries

If we're going to be candid here, without fear of retribution, I'll elaborate on my comment. The problem starts at the top with the site management, not at the bottom with the members.

1. Database crash and site reset at the site's peak. Boo. Bad form. Really bad. That drove off more than half the members in one fell swoop. How the fuck did it happen? Information Technology 101 - back shit up!

2. Sly leaving, forming his own site and doing a better job of it there. He disagreed with the direction of the advertising here and left the owners in a hole without a lead developer. Most of the good shit here was originally done by Sly. Now it's outsourced to some site that none of us use nor care about.

3. Apathy. Site owners don't care. Bottom line. They had their fun in the early days and built a great community. They've done nothing in the 3 years post-apocalypse to resurrect, renew or refresh the site. Old dog, no new tricks.

4. Dictatorship and nepotism. Certain staff members who are rarely seen carry very big sticks and aren't afraid to wield them when challenged. I found the result of a couple of the end of year awards particularly unpleasant and ultimately rigged to stroke egos. Respect can't be taken, it has to earned. This place is nothing without its members. Have fun leading a ghost town.

In the end, I don't come here for the guides, the trophy card or the automatic updates - they're clearly done better elsewhere. I come here for the conversation - most of my PSN friends list comes from these forums. From that perspective, there's no better PS trophy forum on the web.

This forum is about the people, so give the people what they want...simples. A $20 PSN card isn't going to cut the mustard, a site rebuild and rebrand to playstationtrophies.com will.

This is not a personal attack on any staff members, most of whom I consider as good friends. Nor is it a peasant revolt - I'm not hanging my balls out in the wind to get an undeserved ban because you don't like what has to be said to save this community. It would only go to show that the perception we have of management is pretty close to the mark.

If you want this site to come back from the brink, FFS listen to us and prove us wrong! Or give the site to someone who will do what's needed - trust me, in its current state, the site is worth nothing.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 11-10-2014 at 01:11 AM.

Stop looking at me swan!

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    We have a sister site? What is this?
    Yes, it also referred to as the partner site as well. If you aren't aware, all of the trophy information on this site is pulled from PSNTL. You'll see this notification on the dashboard because you'll need to first be listed there to update your information here.

Get bent...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeiharu View Post
    Yes, it also referred to as the partner site as well. If you aren't aware, all of the trophy information on this site is pulled from PSNTL. You'll see this notification on the dashboard because you'll need to first be listed there to update your information here.
    Oh, THAT one. Yeah. I forgot about them.

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by juliuspleezer View Post
    I have been a member for a long time now, including the pre-crash era. I like the site and will continue to visit so don't think I am just here to bash it. Something that nobody has mentioned yet is the 2 huge fails in the last year that drove some people out. I'm talking about the Trophy Kawmp and GDT's giveaway fails. I like GDT a lot and he is on my personal friends list but that was a doozy. He seemingly disappeared right when the competition was coming to a head and that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way when people didn't get their prizes or got them late. It felt like a promise unfulfilled. The trophy Kawmp was a debacle to be sure. Banishments, cheating, threats, etc...And who won? Staff. The whole thing seemed rigged or at least set up disproportionately in favor of the site royalty. I have a few friends that either can't or won't return to the site ever again because of it and that is a shame because they were good community members.
    Ahem...I would like to point out here, that the winning team of the Trophy Kawmp had ONE staff member on it and 3 non staff members, which I might point out was similar to OTHER teams in the kawmpetition that had one or more staff members on the team. The team that won did so because a non-staff member of the team worked their ass off for 18 platinum trophies during the kawmpetition. The teams that were kicked from the kawmp were kicked for not properly following the rules which were clearly pointed out and they received a warning before being removed.

There were also awards for 1st-3rd place for each team member in the kawmp, so there was PLENTY of opportunity to win prizes.

I won't say anything about the GDT kawmpetitions, BUT a lot of time and effort was put into the Trophy Kawmp and it's these type of complaints that make the organizers of these events not even want to bother doing them. Everyone WANTS more events, but no matter how fair you try and make them, and no matter how good the rewards, there are still going to be members that find something to complain about.

The only sane person here

And of course we have these stupid bot things that somehow manage to make an account for the sole purpose of advertising us to death.

Jamm the Man...Nuff Said

Stuff and things, those things are all based on your experiences, same with the stuff.

Get bent...

Quote Originally Posted by jamm6512 View Post
    Stuff and things, those things are all based on your experiences, same with the stuff.
    What you did there. I see it.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    I think it all boils down to the village raising the child. Without input from the community, this site generally has no function. If the members don't contribute, we're left with a staff of about 20 individuals...and we can't do it all on our own.

As for "staff rotations" and issues with previous staff...shit happens. We can't just go rotating out staff members on a whim. Somebody's gotta run the back-end of the site, even if the community itself doesn't contribute nearly as much as it has in the past.

I personally think a major factor in the decline in active members has to do with people jumping ship for a new fad, much like the new smartphone craze each year. Without a community to support it, any site will fall prey to inactivity and look desolate. The rise and fall of an internet domain is something the majority of all sites have to be mindful of...this site is no exception.
    this and also the lack of ppl active on this site hell there isn't anyone even talking about NBA this year its like im talking to myself. I like the ppl here and the manner its in (mostly) but yes the lack of personal trophy stats does kinda kill a TROPHY SITE!!!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Alot of sites got there own trophy site, why use ps3trophy if i can get it in Danish.

And then there is the chat box, some gamers have left after fights in there

Crocodile Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post

3. Apathy. Site owners don't care. Bottom line. They had their fun in the early days and built a great community. They've done nothing in the 3 years post-apocalypse to resurrect, renew or refresh the site. Old dog, no new tricks.

If you want this site to come back from the brink, FFS listen to us and prove us wrong! Or give the site to someone who will do what's needed - trust me, in its current state, the site is worth nothing.

I once spoke to submerge a year or 2 ago and offered to buy this site from him, he wanted $25,000 USD.... i lol'd and walked away

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Well this thread has been a depressing read. It sounds like some kind of eulogy. I hope that is not the case. While not very talkative I like to read the threads and of course use the guides all the time. We need this place and it would be a true loss if it went away.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by upallnighter View Post
    Well this thread has been a depressing read. It sounds like some kind of eulogy. I hope that is not the case. While not very talkative I like to read the threads and of course use the guides all the time. We need this place and it would be a true loss if it went away.
    True dat.

Hopefully it injects some enthusiasm into the powers that be. We wouldn't post if we didn't care.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Unlike a lot of users here, I have not been a member for a long while.

When I did join though, I found it hard to discuss games I was playing because there was no one playing them at the time. Granted I play older games that arne't the new and exciting stuff at the time. I felt like there was a lack of activity to really discuss on that level. Of course there's always news, forum games, and random fun forums to read and comment on, but no heavy discussion really. I still stayed active and commented frequently. Over a short time though, I got bored with lack of discussion.

I haven't been back to even look except now and of course I see this thread.

Flesh is heretic /
    My body is a witch /
    I am burning it

Hello

Get bent...

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    True dat.

Hopefully it injects some enthusiasm into the powers that be. We wouldn't post if we didn't care.
    Hopefully it doesn't backfire and the site owners just say "fuck you all" and shut it down.

I don't see that happening though.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Hopefully it doesn't backfire and the site owners just say "fuck you all" and shut it down.

I don't see that happening though.
    sadly, i can. i've really seen this site gone downhill with so many things, and its sad cuz there are some amazingly great people on this site, like Helyx, Yoo_Hoo_Sniper, ant1th3s1s, Larrydavidsavatar and daftprophet, just to name a few. It'd really suck to see these people and all the rest of us get thrown away like that if the site closed

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast