Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

What killed this site?

This is a discussion on What killed this site? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; My life has changed a lot and i have less time to use this forum. However this forum went downhill ...

Game on....

My life has changed a lot and i have less time to use this forum. However this forum went downhill after the site went down. To add insult to injury, updating trophies on here requires the PSN trophy leaders site and after updating there and then here, you just get a list of your last 10 recent trophies on this site when looking at your psn trophy profile. Not great to be honest......

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    .......To add insult to injury, updating trophies on here requires the PSN trophy leaders site and after updating there and then here, you just get a list of your last 10 recent trophies on this site when looking at your psn trophy profile. Not great to be honest......
    While using PSNTL.com to sync doesn't bother me too much and I like the sections and layout of that for my trophy log, it would be better for the site to have that all integrated on either PSNTL wholly or here wholly. It seems to bug the crap out of most users here.

Flesh is heretic /
    My body is a witch /
    I am burning it

Hello

Beast Incarnate

I've been here since 2009. I came for the Trophy Guide's and stayed for the atmosphere, so to speak. I made quite a few friends here, most of which have now left. The sites decline is some what baffling to me. I've never been into the politics of the site, I've never had a cross word with anyone, let alone staff, so as people have said politics could well have a lot to do with it....but I wouldn't know first hand.

Two big things stand out for me, the crash in 2011 and site progression. A lot of people never bothered coming back after the site crashed and numbers have been getting lower and lower since. As for site progression, like others have said, its dated. Other sites provide much more in terms of guides, (although I still think we have some of the best guide writers around) forums and general help. True, a lot of it comes with the number of members a website has.

I love this site and will continue to visit and use it until its no longer possible. Hopefully that will never happen.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyMirror View Post
    Unlike a lot of users here, I have not been a member for a long while.

When I did join though, I found it hard to discuss games I was playing because there was no one playing them at the time. Granted I play older games that arne't the new and exciting stuff at the time. I felt like there was a lack of activity to really discuss on that level. Of course there's always news, forum games, and random fun forums to read and comment on, but no heavy discussion really. I still stayed active and commented frequently. Over a short time though, I got bored with lack of discussion.

I haven't been back to even look except now and of course I see this thread.

Which is a shame as you were one of the most active new members on the site with genuine enthusiasm about gaming. When someone like you cannot find an avenue, it shows how bad things have got.

Lvl 5 - Silver

I've been a member since 2010 and I love this site. Sure this site has its ups and downs it's okay. Then some people on here are willing to help and some are snobs but the one thing that people forget is that we're a community and we must be and stay strong to keep this site alive one way or another.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I joined before the crash, and I have fully enjoyed my time here. Over the years (mostly post-crash), I slowly stopped commenting on most threads due to lack of interest in them. Now? I post in the WWE Discussion Thread, which has also fallen off the map slowly, but surely.

One of the biggest problems that hasn't been mentioned too much is those spam threads. One person posting all those stupid threads with dumb titles drove me nuts... if anyone knows what i'm referring to.
    > LIKE my Facebook page, where I post Gaming News!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evere...22814831104589 <

Add me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/The1TheBob?ref=tn_tnmn

Follow me - https://twitter.com/The1TheBob

My FAVE FIVE:

WWE: Goldust, Zack Ryder, Bray Wyatt, Cody Rhodes, Big E Langston

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    Which is a shame as you were one of the most active new members on the site with genuine enthusiasm about gaming. When someone like you cannot find an avenue, it shows how bad things have got.
    Aw thanks man. I appreciate that. If found some things to get into like general discussion, specific game discussion, playing forum games, and even started writing some guides here to pitch in. Granted they were older games and challenges but I was still doing something here. It just seemed like no one was here some times and I broke away.

Quote Originally Posted by ReginaldX View Post
    I've been a member since 2010 and I love this site. Sure this site has its ups and downs it's okay. Then some people on here are willing to help and some are snobs but the one thing that people forget is that we're a community and we must be and stay strong to keep this site alive one way or another.
    I agree ReginaldX. I'm not a longtime member but I really loved it here. Even if I get bored or feel the site is dead, I should stick around and stay active to do my part.

Another issue on the site's current state and possible updates/upgrades would maybe be donations. I don't see why people would invest in this place right now though. I was thinking about it when I became active but never actually did. What would be the payoff other than lack of some ads, a bigger avatar, and some other heres and theres.

Flesh is heretic /
    My body is a witch /
    I am burning it

Hello

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by i667090375202107 View Post
    Unfortunately this feature is no longer available and now this site is loosely coupled with psntl.com. I really wouldn't mind if these sites are going to be merged but as of now I always have to leave this site to check on my new and recent trophies. Along with this come certain technical weaknesses I noticed after a while. Why are there games that either don't have a forum at all or are lacking substantial threads like the "official difficulty rating" or the link to the trophy list? Probably this is due to a lot of manual work necessary but a modern site would just create this infrastructure automatically, at least for the trophy lists there appears to be some external data source so why not in the same step create a forum automatically? Another inconvenience is the linking between trophy guide and forum, namely that there is none. If I am in a trophy guide I want to jump to the forum in one click and not by clicking on Forums, then on platform & letter and then scroll down to the respective game and have again to click to see a list of available threads.

All these hindrances might contribute to the lack of activity and when I then look over at another certain trophy site, and see there in a forum dedicated to a newly released indie game 20 different threads while here for an AAA title that has been out for years only one unanswered thread (apart from the standard threads for boosting, difficulty etc.) it's no surprise that people tend to move to other sites
    What's up with the whole 'previous features being removed' thing?? Seems absurd

I did venture to an opposing site just once (for boosting) and found the community brimming with activity. Maybe I shouldn't ask this, but what's the go-to trophy site nowadays (if there is a single one)?

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalman123 View Post
    3. The site layout is painstakingly similar to the original layout(s). There's no visible progression, just implied stagnation.
    I agree with this, although the layout has stayed so similar that it reminds me of the good times, which is kinda nice

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    It was Colonel Mustard, in the Billiards Room, with the Candlestick.
    Decent, decent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BSm...eature=mh_lolz

THE LINK ABOVE IS A PILE OF SHIT, PLEASE DON'T CLICK ON IT. THANKYOU VERY MUCH.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    I'll add that I find it rather odious for anyone to stroll back here, without having participated to any reasonable degree in recent months, and shrug their shoulders as they quip ''Jeez what happened to this site?'' Sure, you can't disagree with what's in front of you, it's fucking bleak, but a bit of a douchey statement nonetheless.
    Found this a little odd. A genuine, concerned question about the wellbeing of a site I love, and have loved for a long time, is odious and douchey? Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    If we're going to be candid here, without fear of retribution, I'll elaborate on my comment. The problem starts at the top with the site management, not at the bottom with the members.

1. Database crash and site reset at the site's peak. Boo. Bad form. Really bad. That drove off more than half the members in one fell swoop. How the fuck did it happen? Information Technology 101 - back shit up!

2. Sly leaving, forming his own site and doing a better job of it there. He disagreed with the direction of the advertising here and left the owners in a hole without a lead developer. Most of the good shit here was originally done by Sly. Now it's outsourced to some site that none of us use nor care about.

3. Apathy. Site owners don't care. Bottom line. They had their fun in the early days and built a great community. They've done nothing in the 3 years post-apocalypse to resurrect, renew or refresh the site. Old dog, no new tricks.

4. Dictatorship and nepotism. Certain staff members who are rarely seen carry very big sticks and aren't afraid to wield them when challenged. I found the result of a couple of the end of year awards particularly unpleasant and ultimately rigged to stroke egos. Respect can't be taken, it has to earned. This place is nothing without its members. Have fun leading a ghost town.

In the end, I don't come here for the guides, the trophy card or the automatic updates - they're clearly done better elsewhere. I come here for the conversation - most of my PSN friends list comes from these forums. From that perspective, there's no better PS trophy forum on the web.

This forum is about the people, so give the people what they want...simples. A $20 PSN card isn't going to cut the mustard, a site rebuild and rebrand to playstationtrophies.com will.

This is not a personal attack on any staff members, most of whom I consider as good friends. Nor is it a peasant revolt - I'm not hanging my balls out in the wind to get an undeserved ban because you don't like what has to be said to save this community. It would only go to show that the perception we have of management is pretty close to the mark.

If you want this site to come back from the brink, FFS listen to us and prove us wrong! Or give the site to someone who will do what's needed - trust me, in its current state, the site is worth nothing.
    Found this comment in particular very 'helpful'. I really like the idea of this thread turning into something that could band people together into at least trying to get the site back on track. Whether that be by new ownership (I'm willing to throw in a quid or two) or current ownership amping it up

I'm kind of like you in that I don't use this site for the actual 'trophy' aspect anymore (gave up on collecting years ago), so surely that says something about how great the community is/can be.

Also, what was the full username of this Sly guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3stralian View Post
    I once spoke to submerge a year or 2 ago and offered to buy this site from him, he wanted $25,000 USD.... i lol'd and walked away
    Is Submerge still around? Wasn't there another user who was basically like a twin to him??

P.S. Does anyone here remember an old member of this site, before the crash, who was a PRO member and had some sort of cool rhino picture set as his avi? He once started a thread asking for suggestions regarding a username change. Random I know but it's bothered me for years. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BSm...eature=mh_lolz

THE LINK ABOVE IS A PILE OF SHIT, PLEASE DON'T CLICK ON IT. THANKYOU VERY MUCH.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by MrFudge View Post
    I did venture to an opposing site just once (for boosting) and found the community brimming with activity. Maybe I shouldn't ask this, but what's the go-to trophy site nowadays (if there is a single one)?
    .com for general chit-chat with intelligent, mature gamers...for the most part. And Checklists - they're done better here.
    .org for game-specific topics. Their game forums are the most active.
    Sly for profiles, cards, stats, (partially) clean leaderboards.
    All of the above for guides.
    PSNTL for silly alternative leaderboards and feeding trophy data back here.

If I had to choose one, Sly wins, hands down, based on the profiles. My only gripe is he removed the Trophy Tips and the community lacks leadership from the members, so it's a bit on the dull side. But this is the interwebs, we don't need to choose just one.

PRO Member

Obviously is not the same with all the above problems mentioned but good thing is there r still people using this site so hopefully it gets better cheers all.

Negator

Here for general chit-chat with intelligent, mature gamers...for the most part. And Checklists - they're done better here.
    I agree with everything stated above, with the small exception that I like PSNTL's layout more than Profiles...plus, it works as it's intended to on Playstation browser.

Of all the sites I could visit, this is the only one where I feel like being an active member. If anyone thinks there are smart-asses and power-hungry staff on this site, then they clearly haven't spent any time on the other sites mentioned above.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

.com for general chit-chat with intelligent, mature gamers...for the most part. And Checklists - they're done better here.

If I had to choose one, Sly wins, hands down, based on the profiles. My only gripe is he removed the Trophy Tips and the community lacks leadership from the members, so it's a bit on the dull side. But this is the interwebs, we don't need to choose just one.
    Yes, this is actually what I am doing as well. Lurking on .com and reading up on interesting conversations, posting on .org and sharing trophy tips on the forums, updating my trophy card via PSNTL and Sly's website, and using both .com and .org for trophy guides of course. Micromanaging everything is all good and dandy.
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by MrFudge View Post
    What's up with the whole 'previous features being removed' thing?? Seems absurd
    As far as I know Sony changed some technical requirements how third parties could access trophy information. For a while the trophy sync function on this page returned an error and then later they switched the mechanism to gather information from psntl.com instead of Playstation directly.
    Of course this affects all sites that gather trophy information but the ones that I know like psntl.com adjusted their access logics and continued to work while this site now relies on another site with some annoying side effects like you have to update your trophy information on psntl.com first in order to get up to date details displayed here which actually makes the function kind of worthless to me since I will just update it on psntl.com and watch it there.

The other points are features this site never had but in current times I think they can just be expected from a modern site. It's a bit like a game with bad camera angles and clunky controls which was very common in the 90s on PS1 but is not acceptable on PS3/PS4. ;-)

PRO Member

I agree with the first posts. First the dependent thing, I still visit this site, but I dislike that I had to go through other websites...Also, I guess life is also part of the answer for some. In my case, I haven't played much to make me visit this website. My last platinum was gotten 5 months ago...

I also noticed that when the site was not independent anymore, that there less donations which is kind of sad...
    [This signature was deleted at the request of the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo.]

VII

*Stands up*

*Clears throat*

I just want to say I've been here since 09 when there was only about 30 members. Those were the good ol days.

Now that that is out of the way, I'm gonna share my thoughts (which have never been deemed correct) about what is going on. I searched on google for a way to obtain a trophy for Resistance 2 and I found this nice guide written by Breakpoint and then I joined because the few people here seemed cool and friendly and they were. I was welcomed, talked to, and people just seem interested in your presence. And that just isn't the case anymore and that is what I think has brought inactivity to the site

1. IMO trophies are becoming this thing that people just innately seem to know how to get now and they don't need help anymore. But when trophy patches were first released it was a state of "Wtf, how do I get this trophy? Better google a how to." and this site would pop up which brought a lot of activity. More and more people just know how to obtain these trophies now so they aren't googling and finding this site. Also, on a side note, I feel like no one is referring their psn friends that aren't on the site.

2. No one cares about the new members that do come here and could possibly breathe new life into the site. Whenever a new user comes in the chatbox, they are usually flamed or trolled and that just isn't a good look. The people here use to be so friendly and now it's just cliques and if you aren't in one prepare to get made fun of, ignored, and/or looked over. I just think some people, myself included could be nicer and welcoming to a new generation of users. You never know what ideas they are capable of that could help around here.

Again, that is just my view on this and it is late right now and this whole post probably doesn't make a lick of sense, but there it is.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by KILLER_ View Post
    1. IMO trophies are becoming this thing that people just innately seem to know how to get now and they don't need help anymore. But when trophy patches were first released it was a state of "Wtf, how do I get this trophy? Better google a how to." and this site would pop up which brought a lot of activity. More and more people just know how to obtain these trophies now so they aren't googling and finding this site. Also, on a side note, I feel like no one is referring their psn friends that aren't on the site.
    I don't think this is true. There will always be games with missable or glitchy trophies and people who don't plan to play through the game half a dozen times will check in advance what they need to take care of. Besides for me reading trophy guides for new games is like reading the news. I tend to read trophy guides (or at least the road maps) just to find out if a game will be fun to plat (I usually look out for games with no multiplayer trophies and a moderately challenging "highest difficulty" trophy).

2. No one cares about the new members that do come here and could possibly breathe new life into the site. Whenever a new user comes in the chatbox, they are usually flamed or trolled and that just isn't a good look. The people here use to be so friendly and now it's just cliques and if you aren't in one prepare to get ignored or looked over. I just think some people, myself included could be nicer and welcoming to a new generation of users. You never know what ideas they are capable of that could help around here.
    I have never used the chatbox but from your description I'd say this is just a usual phenomenon of anonymity in the world wide web. Just reading through the comments on some ign or .org articles makes me think that half the commentators are IQ 80 street criminals. I'd bet 90% of them half never been half so rude in real life. Anyway the behavior in comments on articles is usually different to those in user created threads and I haven' t experienced much rudeness in the forums of this site so it wouldn't be a reason for me to move to another community.

Again, that is just my view on this and it is late right now and this whole post probably doesn't make a lick of sense, but there it is.
    No need to justify your opinion, really. ;-)

Game on....

I myself have changed attitudes towards trophy hunting / collecting. I now no longer worry about having loads of unfinished games without a 100% completion rate or platinum trophy. I used to be in the perfect platinum streak group but i found i couldnt enjoy gaming while i was part of that. Also not being able to play more than five games without earning the platinum first got annoying for me personally. So for me i think this could be another reason i don't use this forum as much as i used to.

Winter Is Coming

I've been here a fairly long time (before the crash) and I'm nowhere near as active as I used to be, the main reason being I just don't get so much time to game anymore. That along with the annoyance of having to go via another site to see my trophies and the lack of activity in the threads, which I am also to blame for as I rarely post here anymore.
    I've met some awesome people here and would hate to see the site disappear

Awesome sig & avy by the Awesome Timeless-Enigma

PRO Member

To be honest, the past year or so, I just got tired of seeing a lot of topics just being created to stir up shit and bitch about things. The gaming community as a whole has enough of that.

I think this is my first post in maybe 2 months or so, during which I didn't even visit the site. I guess I just got bored of reading the same mind-numbing slant from the same people over and over again. Life's too short for that shit.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast