Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

What killed this site?

This is a discussion on What killed this site? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; One thing that always bothered me about this site, and call me petty, but there's something bothersome for me when ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

One thing that always bothered me about this site, and call me petty, but there's something bothersome for me when a site called PS3Trophies tries to encompass more than the PS3. If you're adding the PS4, Vita and any other future consoles into the mix... maybe it's time to come up with a new name. Something that represents the site as a whole, and what it's become/has set out to accomplish.

I'm also not a huge fan of that chat bar at the bottom. So many better things they could've been doing instead of making the site more like Facebook.

A few years ago I loved this site. Nowadays there are just better sites out there that are growing, with more stuff going on. It wouldn't take much to get me to come back, to be honest, like I said, I practically lived here not too long ago... just some sign that the people running the place are in it for the long haul (and maybe a name change lol). Something it seems isn't really happening, and hasn't for a while.

Fight the Future

Quote Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
    One thing that always bothered me about this site, and call me petty, but there's something bothersome for me when a site called PS3Trophies tries to encompass more than the PS3. If you're adding the PS4, Vita and any other future consoles into the mix... maybe it's time to come up with a new name. Something that represents the site as a whole, and what it's become/has set out to accomplish.

That being said, a few years ago I loved this site. Nowadays there are just better sites out there with more stuff going on. It wouldn't take much to get me to come back, to be honest... just some sign that the people running the place are in it for the long haul (and maybe a name change lol).
    The site's name is supposed to be changed to PlayStationTrophies.com, I have no idea when or if that is still going to happen though.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    The site's name is supposed to be changed to PlayStationTrophies.com, I have no idea when or if that is still going to happen though.
    I could get on board with that. Just another sign of the "power's that be" not really expressing any interest in moving the site forward though, and a good enough reason for me to not really bother coming back.

EDIT: Though, the more I'm thumbing through the site... the more I remember of how good it was. If only my time and vested interest would actually lead to people giving a damn about the site again. Might even consider donating. XD

Lvl 6 - Silver

people blame the forums and lack of action on them - is that a bad thing? do we need more "what is the weather like near you?" or "what's your favorite color?" or "do you drink mountain dew?" posts that add nothing?

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by nullzero00 View Post
    people blame the forums and lack of action on them - is that a bad thing? do we need more "what is the weather like near you?" or "what's your favorite color?" or "do you drink mountain dew?" posts that add nothing?
    Obviously not, but there's hardly any threads that spark up conversation or discussion (let alone game-related ones), which doesn't help activity at all.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I think the "lack of action" is generally referencing the lack of new website functionality or features (or anything that would indicate the people behind the site are still doing anything with it) that would keep the site interesting for old-timers... or encourage new folks to join up. Not inane posts about people's favorite beverages.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
    I think the "lack of action" is generally referencing the lack of new website functionality or features (or anything that would indicate the people behind the site are still doing anything with it) that would keep the site interesting for old-timers... or encourage new folks to join up. Not inane posts about people's favorite beverages.
    Out of curiosity, what is your favorite beverage?

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is your favorite beverage?
    Dr. Pepper, but I don't think that's appropriate to discuss here. Let me start a few other threads about it.

Resident PHD

The review team not putting out reviews

No seriously, it has a lot to do with the awesome members slowly leaving. I used to blame it on the MOTM contests where every time someone won the contest they seem to leave right after. Gauss, Chambers, In2, TG09 etc.

Most of the sig shops closed up, competitions got ruined by bitching and the cliques got really bad.

I know I left because I had my altercations with a certain Mod and his group of friends. I remember telling one of them (he knows who he is) that he might be glad to see me go but is he going to pick up where I left off. Is he and his friends going to help get interest going in threads, write guides, create contests etc. It turns out I was correct in my thinking. I know myself and a lot of the the people I talked to were very frustrated that we put so much time and effort into this site and got no recognition for it. After awhile you get annoyed and leave. I have been back for a couple of months now and have maybe made a dozen or so posts because it really isn't the same as when I left.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Get bent...

Wonder why the admin/site owners haven't responded to this thread yet...

I figure it's for one of three reasons:

1) Really busy (real life things) and can't get to it at the moment.

2) Busy formulating a proper response that encompasses all the issues brought up in this thread so far.

3) As some users have eluded to, they just don't give a fuck and they're just ignoring it because they don't care to answer/deal with the issues at hand and really don't care enough about this site to do anything about it.

I really hope it's not #3....
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

member since Oct 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Wonder why the admin/site owners haven't responded to this thread yet...

I figure it's for one of three reasons:

1) Really busy (real life things) and can't get to it at the moment.

2) Busy formulating a proper response that encompasses all the issues brought up in this thread so far.

3) As some users have eluded to, they just don't give a fuck and they're just ignoring it because they don't care to answer/deal with the issues at hand and really don't care enough about this site to do anything about it.

I really hope it's not #3....
    After three years its sad to say its #3.

Everyone posting before me sums up my beliefs about this once, great site. Its a shame for what it has become.

I joined up in Oct 2009 after using Google to see what the hidden trophies in RB2 were. I have been here since. I have seen big name members come and go and a piece of the site leaves with them each time. Sometimes I wonder why I still come here with nothing really left to offer to me. I don't use the sites trophy guides anymore, haven't since the wiki format was implemented. The chasing links to update your trophies is a joke. The new post board is a ghost town of forum games threads with occasional trophy news mixed in there.

One thing I didn't see mention was the site's archive. Many times I would get good trophy tips from threads that were not in the guides. Getting info about an older game from this site is not happening, the information is gone...

Why I still come here? Two reasons: PS store updates and PS360's threads.

PRO Member

I agree with 90% of what's been said and I really can't see anything changing. Unless someone decides to buy the site and give it a much needed makeover.
    If I was looking for a PS4 trophy guide, the last thing I'd do is look on a PS3 trophy site, which is exactly what this site looks like. By the time PS6 comes out, we'll still be called PS3trophies.com... and I highly doubt that's going to get any new members.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Would you reduce the forums to the off-topic section?

The parts interesting me most in the forums are the game specific threads and there is clearly a lack of activity. Take for instance Diablo 3 (PS3). There are about 20 threads (not including the sticky ones) and they have in average two replies. Five of them, all sort of questions, don't even have a reply. On the official difficulty rating thread there are exactly seven replies for this long anticipated and very popular game. Take any game that is not that popular and you will usually only find one to three threads. If I take a look at another certain trophy guide site and go in the Diablo 3 section (for PS3) I see 242 threads and 3745 posts in these threads - quite a difference isn't it?
    The lack of activity is just the consequence of other problems though and to improve it the other problems should be addressed first.

PRO Member

I am so happy that this thread was made. It has been an elephant in the room that needs to be talked about. I was here well before the crash just like a lot of you and I don't believe that it was the crash either. Here's what I think the problem is....

The MODs think they are the only things that matter on the site and our opinions mean nothing. I had a really bad experience with one of them that I won't get into towards the beginning of summer, but I won't get into it. Basically I left the conversation feeling as though they only care about themselves and didn't give a damn what I had to say.

But whatever its over now. That led me to become a lot less active on the site because I just didn't feel comfortable here anymore. This is my first post in quite a few months actually which is a shame because I used to love these forums.

Basically my two cents is that something about this staff needs to change. I don't if we need new people or what, but the old ways just are not working anymore.

It is sad for me to say this, but this is officially my goodbye. I have spent so much time on this site and loved every second of it. Even though I don't know most of you now, I wish you all the best. I may return one day if this site ever gets an overall, but until then so long friends

Sig by Bladia

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by i667090375202107 View Post
    Would you reduce the forums to the off-topic section?

The parts interesting me most in the forums are the game specific threads and there is clearly a lack of activity. Take for instance Diablo 3 (PS3). There are about 20 threads (not including the sticky ones) and they have in average two replies. Five of them, all sort of questions, don't even have a reply. On the official difficulty rating thread there are exactly seven replies for this long anticipated and very popular game. Take any game that is not that popular and you will usually only find one to three threads. If I take a look at another certain trophy guide site and go in the Diablo 3 section (for PS3) I see 242 threads and 3745 posts in these threads - quite a difference isn't it?
    The lack of activity is just the consequence of other problems though and to improve it the other problems should be addressed first.
    i would get rid of most of these "adds nothing" posts, as well as all the crap for non-Sony systems. If you want to read about Super Mario, go to a nintendo site. Yeah, there used to be a ton of people posting, but they must have realized that a lot of it was posts about drivel. It's tough to cull the wheat from the chaff when the site is diluted with utter shite. I guarantee a lot of the members left because they weren't getting useful info.

Deathless Destroyer

Well, for one this site lacks any real constant improvements but that's beside the point, despite looking exactly the same as when I first joined. When I first joined this site was fairly active but honestly I don't really get much from here anymore. There is no proper discussion that goes on here and the bots that infected this site really brings on how much this site fell down.

Most of my points have already been discussed, but honestly in the state it's in and with the stuff I have to deal with in my life I really have no incentive to be here anymore. I've gotten to know a few awesome people here and they've moved on because of all the reasons stated here.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    and the bots that infected this site really brings on how much this site fell down.
    OI! Leave the bots alone! They bring in half to the topics

Lvl 5 - Silver

i would get rid of most of these "adds nothing" posts, as well as all the crap for non-Sony systems. If you want to read about Super Mario, go to a nintendo site. Yeah, there used to be a ton of people posting, but they must have realized that a lot of it was posts about drivel. It's tough to cull the wheat from the chaff when the site is diluted with utter shite. I guarantee a lot of the members left because they weren't getting useful info.
    I think the forums are well structured, it should be very clear which topic should be created in which forum and I see no harm in a forums for Nintendo and for Microsoft. Don't think it's keeping anyone from writing in the Playstation related forums. I also can't imagine why the activity should rise in the Playstation platform related forums if the others are shut down.

Perhaps though it might not be bad to further split the Playstation forums to separate the "What's your latest platinum" etc. threads from discussion threads.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I don't care how the site looks. I'm here for light discussion, and trophy guides.

Is the site dead? No.
    Is it down on activity? Probably.

It'll only matter when there is no new content of worth to me.
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Well I really can't comment on how things were a while ago and I know nothing about the crash that was talked about, but I think this site is great. The trophy guides are what brought me here and this is only my second post but I will say it again the trophy guides are very well done. I would like to see some more people here to talk to I think that would be cool. One of the things I don't like about it is the trophy update thing, it just doesn't work very well.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast