Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

What killed this site?

This is a discussion on What killed this site? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; i used to spend loads of time here and then everything reset and i lost interest in it all, actually ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

i used to spend loads of time here and then everything reset and i lost interest in it all, actually this is the first night ive looked through the forums in probably 2 or 3 years.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by nullzero00 View Post
    I guarantee a lot of the members left because they weren't getting useful info.
    I guarantee that's not why. The members here that have knowledge about a specific game share it with the community.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Get bent...

Quote Originally Posted by fillabong View Post
    After three years its sad to say its #3.

Everyone posting before me sums up my beliefs about this once, great site. Its a shame for what it has become.

I joined up in Oct 2009 after using Google to see what the hidden trophies in RB2 were. I have been here since. I have seen big name members come and go and a piece of the site leaves with them each time. Sometimes I wonder why I still come here with nothing really left to offer to me. I don't use the sites trophy guides anymore, haven't since the wiki format was implemented. The chasing links to update your trophies is a joke. The new post board is a ghost town of forum games threads with occasional trophy news mixed in there.

One thing I didn't see mention was the site's archive. Many times I would get good trophy tips from threads that were not in the guides. Getting info about an older game from this site is not happening, the information is gone...

Why I still come here? Two reasons: PS store updates and PS360's threads.
    It seems as though you may be right. This thread is weeks old, yet not a peep from site owners.

Maybe the others are right. They don't really give a shit.
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    It seems as though you may be right. This thread is weeks old, yet not a peep from site owners.

Maybe the others are right. They don't really give a shit.
    At the risk of losing my "Staff" status... this, probably. If the site was updated, the rest of us would put a lot more effort into keeping the site awesome, instead of keeping the Titanic up with arm bands...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

i agree with you on that cause frankly its the same way with ps3 now. cause honestly the most people i see online now is just about 6 people and with the next gen games taking over it makes it even worse

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    I guarantee that's not why. The members here that have knowledge about a specific game share it with the community.
    I've been on other trophy-hunting sites, and they usually have a wider range of topics and tips for each game. When the main reason to come here (info on beating a game and earning trophies) dries up, then why would people stay?

Gone

3 reasons why his site sucks now

1 - The site reset

2 - The Admins not giving a flying fuck anymore

3 - DaveyHasselhoff (Did you you notice how his only post was to defend his competition and sidestep around the real issue)

Enough said, now I'll just wait for this post to most likely get deleted

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Simpo64 View Post
    3 reasons why his site sucks now

3 - DaveyHasselhoff (Did you you notice how his only post was to defend his competition and sidestep around the real issue)
    So mean

Trophy Guide Kitten

There just isnt much traffic anymore. It's that simple. Guides aint being called, people aint coming, and it is partially due to the reset. It also has to do with not being able to update your trophies.

If we could do something to bring more traffic in, it may improve. But as of right now, I don't know what else can happen.
    K? Thanks

PRO Member

I'm going to chime in here because I remember this was the site where I celebrated getting the inFamous plat because a forum member helped me out bigtime with the last blast shards. After awhile I found a pseudo home here thanks to guys like Nag, ant1, Empire, Tommy, etc.

I can deal with a lot of things, I don't mind the site's look and feel, and I don't necessarily blame the crash (as flat out embarassing as that was... And that is the right word btw, EMBARASSING).

For me, it stems from a problem that started even a little before the crash: The fact that the staff and the community didn't seem to mesh into one cohesive entity. We can blame it on some overzealousness and ignorance on the staff coupled with a couple bad apples in the community with the wrong type of support behind them, but the truth is I felt like as this site became more popular, the staff and community almost started resenting eachother. Staff seemed to play favorites, to the point where it became difficult and discouraging to contribute at all to the site, and the community did not respond well. Staff antangonized the community response more and more overtime, until eventually we hit the collapse we see now...

I think it all boils down to the fact that there seems to be no pride in ownership on either side for this site anymore. Staff and owners seem apathetic and unmotivated, and the community just kinda bops in for an update from time to time to make sure the site is still dead.

I don't really know how you fix that at this point. Considering this site is largely driven by the forums (you have no content without the forums), one would assume the community is the thing that needs the most help. Problem is something won't grow without food (content) and water (support staff).
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I don't profess to have a deep understanding of the inner politics of the site, so I will stay well away from any of those issues.

I do think that the crash DID have an impact, but not in the way you would think. In that time, people had to go to another site for their info. When it came back up, some just never came back because they had adjusted to a new site that provided the same thing (Probably because of a certain SlyRipper character who launched something newer).

I find that there is so much aggression on these forums, not from everyone, but from enough to make me want to go somewhere else. This is a shame because some of the people on here are great.

The trophy lists moving to psntl.com was the nail in the coffin for me. Others might think differently, but I used the lists very regularly. I understand that it is difficult to maintain, but this suggests to me that the care factor from the developer has gone down a lot.

I do check back here occasionally, but I'm not always sure why. I guess it's just because this was once my go-to site, and I'm hopeful it can be again. The content is still good here when it comes, and the trophy guides are handy, but there are too many missing or messy/incomplete guides that have not been updated.

One final note: While it seems petty, ps3trophies.com as a domain no longer reflects the full coverage of content (IE PSVita, PS4). I see this as something that will need to change, as it adds to the outdated look, and really affects peoples perception of the site. The very fact that it is still the same suggests to me that the site owner does not have as much interest is the site as they once did.

Stacking - Machinarium - Hell Yeah - Cuboid - Critter Crunch - Thomas Was Alone - Contrast

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Compalicious View Post
    There just isnt much traffic anymore. It's that simple. Guides aint being called, people aint coming, and it is partially due to the reset. It also has to do with not being able to update your trophies.

If we could do something to bring more traffic in, it may improve. But as of right now, I don't know what else can happen.
    Three things could go a long way to setting the ship right -

1. Rebrand to playstationtrophies.com. It's already registered. Delegate it to the site as the primary domain and bang up a quick logo update. That *might* get new folks to stick around for more than a minute.

2. Bring trophy updates back in-house, or merge with PSNTL. Telling members to go to another site is not the way to build a community. This site's functionality sucks. PSNTL's forums suck. Maybe the middle-ground would improve both.

3. A roadmap for the PS3T site from the owners. An indication that they still have an interest in the site, let alone in developing it, would be helpful.

If they have to kill the site, so be it. We'll just migrate to another site. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened already, but the forums on other sites just don't feel the same. That alone should be an indicator that those of us left want to be here and want to see the site get back on-track.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    the forums on other sites just don't feel the same. That alone should be an indicator that those of us left want to be here and want to see the site get back on-track.
    Agreed. I haven't posted on here in a while, but i always look at the site at least once a day. I love reading the different topics on here. It's a lot of fun. Losing this place would suck. This place has helped a lot of us, so we need to help it now.

Death is Awaiting....

For me personally it's because the site is just stale. Nothing new has happened on it.. nothing to light up that spark that once was. I've tried and tried to stay active on here, but I just log off after a few minutes. This place used to really be fun. Members were cool, threads, guides, news, reviews, everything. Now it's just pointless. No one reads the reviews or news. People have moved other places for guides. So what is the point? I won't migrate to another site, but this place just went downhill fast really does blow..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Schism View Post
    Nothing new has happened on it.. nothing to light up that spark that once was. This place used to really be fun. Members were cool, threads, guides, news, reviews, everything. Now it's just pointless.
    Another thing is that whenever I or someone else tries to create a thread in hopes of starting a really good conversation, thread, etc, it always either gets no responses or hateful responses. So if creating new topics and threads is out, then its posting in existing ones, but like you said, they've become stale.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    2. Bring trophy updates back in-house, or merge with PSNTL. Telling members to go to another site is not the way to build a community. This site's functionality sucks. PSNTL's forums suck. Maybe the middle-ground would improve both.
    Agreed. I signed up on PSNTL's site when we started to piggyback trophy stats off of them. That was a year ago (?) and I still can't post on the forums there because they still haven't sent me an email to confirm my account, nor responded to my many inquiries regarding that situation.

With that said, I have gotten quite a bit of help from the community on certain things here, whereas other sites I first started off visiting gave me little to no help. I'll admit to not being too active these past couple months, but only because of my job requiring most of my time; even so, I've noticed the past 6 months or so how dead the forums have seemed to be. I really hope that this site doesn't die, as it has significantly helped me in games and I've enjoyed my time here.

The Last of my Kind

What I'm glad to see is people here uniting to make a post, make a statement. I'm not going to lie it's been a pretty awful year for the site in terms of moving forward, and I'm hoping that this thread will make a statement forward to the owners of the site. That there is still a community that cares, because a lot of the time an admin might lose interest or motivation in the site because he fears that their members are losing interest on where he is trying to go. If we show that we are trusting this site and that we want improvements, that we need changes we will get a response. I think the addition of Comp and Davey to moderate the site and add little stuff or change things with the forum itself is great, and what we need ontop of that is more development behind the scenes which will shape the site for the future.

----------------

I guess I should add a backstory like message:

I joined pre crash but I wasn't much of a user back then, I just wanted to get trophies and only used the guides and posted a couple times. Then I really wanted to get into guide writing, so I got to do a guide and then co-oped a major. Boom site dead.

After it's return I found the site a really interesting and welcoming place where I spent a lot of time, mainly to get away but also to help me trophy hunt. It was a good atmosphere with it's ups and downs and I really enjoyed the place. I wanted to write great guides like I always saw people did and I wanted to be a bigger part in this community. The time I felt the decline was beginning of last year, where many fallout occurred between members as well as we had to source our trophies from PSNTL. These two things combined really shut down the community, a lot of people developed hate for people on this site for no apparent reason. I don't blame our crash as the main cause because those things happen. It's the fact that some people just didn't return, which really isn't a bad thing as those people didn't deserve to be part of our community anyway, if they did not find it good enough to return to it.

another thing is the Chatbox, it was a great feature at first but then with the loss of so many people there has been a bad tendency in the CB for a lot of banter and sarcastic/negative comments towards eachother, trollish behavior per say. I think if newer members were allowed a better more friendlier environment they would stick around in CB more often. I got used to it but a lot of newer people don't.

I'm gonna stay here and contribute for as long as it is needed. It's because people here are like family and guides here are my effort that I put here.

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    Well, for one this site lacks any real constant improvements but that's beside the point, despite looking exactly the same as when I first joined. When I first joined this site was fairly active but honestly I don't really get much from here anymore. There is no proper discussion that goes on here and the bots that infected this site really brings on how much this site fell down.

Most of my points have already been discussed, but honestly in the state it's in and with the stuff I have to deal with in my life I really have no incentive to be here anymore. I've gotten to know a few awesome people here and they've moved on because of all the reasons stated here.
    We need more Encorp checklists
    Last edited by Ultradog177; 12-01-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Thanks to LuckayCanadianShulckayMooseackey for this Signature & Elite Guild Bar. Thanks to RaveNScythE18 & Smashguy for the PPS userbar.

Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by jaws-ate View Post
    Another thing is that whenever I or someone else tries to create a thread in hopes of starting a really good conversation, thread, etc, it always either gets no responses or hateful responses. So if creating new topics and threads is out, then its posting in existing ones, but like you said, they've become stale.
    you sir have earned a kudo point. nuff said. a couple of months ago a proposed an idea to an individual on this site but was never giving a response. but the person continues to post on the website. it also took me 2 months after i donated to receive my pro status.

Lvl 5 - Silver

I love this site, and hope it returns to its greatness eventually. Long live PS3trophies.COM! ;P

Threat

Quote Originally Posted by Schism View Post
    No one reads the reviews or news.
    People might read the reviews if there actually were any
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast