Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

What killed this site?

This is a discussion on What killed this site? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by AlecDawesome People might read the reviews if there actually were any People didn't pay them any attention ...

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    People might read the reviews if there actually were any
    People didn't pay them any attention when we were doing them, plus Sub changed the team to "The Editorial Team" because he thought they were useless and needless and that editorials and articles would bring in people to the site, so now we don't do them. Me and Faust decided to indulge him on that regard, and Chris and Larry wrote some sporadically until a few months ago, so yeah.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I still think this is a great site! It's always active, just maybe as much as it used to be. I've been here forever and still think it's great!

-i- love myself.

New look and bringing back the trophy updates would take us back to how this site was before, maybe even more superior, just needs an update. Been here since the start and love every moment I've spent here , would be upset for it to come to an end.

Administrator

Erm, lack of funding I guess is the culprit. Site wasn't profitable enough to keep a full-time focus and I had focus my energies on redeveloping my knowledge in web development for a move to silicon valley. Which is a mighty time consumer but worth it, for me individually. Now as for the site, it's time to start something new. we are still on a PS3 domain yikes lol. Anyways, we have some partnerships with other trophy websites to bring a new social trophy site, and I just finally bought a PS4 so it's coming along.

I'm positive that we can get something even better going. But lack of funding was definitely a cause, for better or for worse was simply because of the size of the site and the unwillingness to litter it even further with ads. But we have in plans something that is much better to come, with shared partnerships to drive innovation from talented people in the PS community.

Certainly have no plans to end. The site's been around for 6-7 years, which is an eternity for most websites, it's been a learning experience and a fun one. And we hope to keep it going for another 6-7.

I'd like to apologize for my absence, life has certainly gotten the better of me. Should it be from lack of time, burn out, who knows but I am humbly appreciative of everyone who ever came and still comes and want to bring back the site to a community of awesomeness and co-operative gaming/trophy hunting.
    I had a threesome last night, there were a couple of no shows but I still had a good time!

Kid, not loser

I haven't been active on the site at all lately... it's been awhile actually.

The thing I believe though is this site is community focused, and it should stay that way. Everyone is wanting admins and mods to step up, but maybe they're at a point where stepping up can only be driven by those that truly run the site... the community.
    We all wish and hope for the site to have this, or to redo that. And yes, you may have suggested "improvements" before, but it can take 1 or 2 people to start something, yet it takes the whole community to accomplish that something.

This site has driven people away by everything all the other sites before it have had. Mean community members, old design, competition, mods, admins, more popular social media etc. Whatever you want to blame it on, it is a part of the many reasons.

But how can you really fix this? Gather together. Yes, I know you've tried and have had disagreements with some or just be shot down by others. But if something really is deserving of a change to happen, the community must come together to make it so. Not just the admins, not just the mods. Everyone that is still in this community must gather together to make the site as great as it used to be.

The issue with everything I've just said, is that people give up. People don't want to stick around to make the change that is needed. People don't want to listen to others and just keep basing their "facts" on their own opinions that they think will help the site. There's ignorance in every voice that is heard over another.

Maybe change won't happen on the site, or maybe it will someday. But it's up to the community that holds it together to make it happen. I know Sub just made a post about how the site will not go down, and will always keep improving. But think about it this way. If all of you left, if everyone stopped making trophy guides and posts, don't you think the site wouldn't be at all what it was meant to be? Don't you think there would be a strong chance it would be shut down? So if that's the case, don't you think it needs to have more community focus than what already is? Not just from staff members, but from the community that truly made this site what it was and what it is no matter how far down you have to look at it?

I will always view this site as the community that brought me closer to my love for video games. I love it because the community. And no matter how long I'm away from it, it will always be my favorite community. No matter who comes or goes.

Maybe it will be this thread that will start the change. Maybe it will be another thread 6 months from now. Either way, just stick around and enjoy it for what it is. I know I've been gone, but popping in every so often still gives me the joy I need from everything else in my life. So I hope you all are still here next time I visit. Because I still love this community.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Local Drunk

Good to see this thread get the responses it's gotten. Seems there's a bit of fight still left in people on here, which is excellent to see.

The staff and the members need to band together to help this place get back on it's feet. Can't just single out the staff or the members to bring the site back. We all have to do it, obviously the staff are needed to do the behind the scenes stuff. The members need to make this place feel welcoming and friendly so people want to stick around. Any changes that occur need to be stuck with and can't be given up on when they don't get the immediate responses or traffic.

Hopefully this thread will get the changes happening and this place will be back to it's best. I'd hate for this place to totally become a ghost town. Tumbleweeds won't drink with me lol.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

The Last of my Kind

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    I'd hate for this place to totally become a ghost town. Tumbleweeds won't drink with me lol.
    probably cause all the Rums gone mate

Thanks to LuckayCanadianShulckayMooseackey for this Signature & Elite Guild Bar. Thanks to RaveNScythE18 & Smashguy for the PPS userbar.

Local Drunk

Quote Originally Posted by Ultradog177 View Post
    probably cause all the Rums gone mate
    Well fuck, that explains a lot

You gotta do a supply run for me and the tumbleweeds then mate

The Last of my Kind

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Well fuck, that explains a lot

You gotta do a supply run for me and the tumbleweeds then mate
    Sure thing they might be upside down tho.

Thanks to LuckayCanadianShulckayMooseackey for this Signature & Elite Guild Bar. Thanks to RaveNScythE18 & Smashguy for the PPS userbar.

Local Drunk

Quote Originally Posted by Ultradog177 View Post
    Sure thing they might be upside down tho.
    Team player Upside down hey, well that's ok if they're unopened lol.

Lvl 6 - Silver

well I know that video killed the radio star. So maybe Youtube killed the vidoe game blogger?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

by the way, why is the issue with profile-trophy updating not solved yet? (just a question, just don't know why)

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    Gather together. Yes, I know you've tried and have had disagreements with some or just be shot down by others. But if something really is deserving of a change to happen, the community must come together to make it so. Not just the admins, not just the mods. Everyone that is still in this community must gather together to make the site as great as it used to be.
    In case anyone was curious, this is the answer to the dilemma. It's gonna take a village to raise the child.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    If we're going to be candid here, without fear of retribution, I'll elaborate on my comment. The problem starts at the top with the site management, not at the bottom with the members.

1. Database crash and site reset at the site's peak. Boo. Bad form. Really bad. That drove off more than half the members in one fell swoop. How the fuck did it happen? Information Technology 101 - back shit up!

I really can't say it any better then he did. I purchased my PS3 in 2008 and after a couple searches it led me here. I loved this site. I absolutely adored t
    2. Sly leaving, forming his own site and doing a better job of it there. He disagreed with the direction of the advertising here and left the owners in a hole without a lead developer. Most of the good shit here was originally done by Sly. Now it's outsourced to some site that none of us use nor care about.

3. Apathy. Site owners don't care. Bottom line. They had their fun in the early days and built a great community. They've done nothing in the 3 years post-apocalypse to resurrect, renew or refresh the site. Old dog, no new tricks.

4. Dictatorship and nepotism. Certain staff members who are rarely seen carry very big sticks and aren't afraid to wield them when challenged. I found the result of a couple of the end of year awards particularly unpleasant and ultimately rigged to stroke egos. Respect can't be taken, it has to earned. This place is nothing without its members. Have fun leading a ghost town.

In the end, I don't come here for the guides, the trophy card or the automatic updates - they're clearly done better elsewhere. I come here for the conversation - most of my PSN friends list comes from these forums. From that perspective, there's no better PS trophy forum on the web.

This forum is about the people, so give the people what they want...simples. A $20 PSN card isn't going to cut the mustard, a site rebuild and rebrand to playstationtrophies.com will.

This is not a personal attack on any staff members, most of whom I consider as good friends. Nor is it a peasant revolt - I'm not hanging my balls out in the wind to get an undeserved ban because you don't like what has to be said to save this community. It would only go to show that the perception we have of management is pretty close to the mark.

If you want this site to come back from the brink, FFS listen to us and prove us wrong! Or give the site to someone who will do what's needed - trust me, in its current state, the site is worth nothing.
    I can't say it any better myself. This was the site that when I typed in "PS3 trophies"... ....I became a "+" member. I hung out an and completely fell in love with the community. It was fun, a diversion from daily bullshit. The only threads I was sick of was the "rep" bullshit...day after day. But damn the community was strong. Then the crash, then Sly leaving. Did either of those effect me coming here? No.... not one bit. It was the apathy of the owner and the bullshit I saw from the mods towards new and not cool members. Guess what, the "elite" ran this site into the proverbial ground. Has anyone been rude to me? Hell no, but I watched as the cliques overwhelmed this great site. Submerge, Thank You so much for replying, I truly wish the best of luck to you. Sell the site, and pursue your dreams. If not, take the $350 bar off the top of the screen, and believe in this site. It will pay for your move.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    In case anyone was curious, this is the answer to the dilemma. It's gonna take a village to raise the child.
    It's a little bit hard when that child is sitting in the corner in a dirty nappy with their hands over their ears screaming "I'm not listening! I'm not listening!" The villagers are here to help, but it doesn't take much to arm them with pitchforks when it falls on deaf ears.

I'm glad Sub chimed in with a positive response. Let's hope it comes to fruition this time. Build it and they will return. Start small and sort out the trophy syncing issue to appease the vets and attract the noobs.

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

Please dear lord fix the damn trophy issue... If it's going to take any longer than 2 months for the new site to come.

Also, we're now getting issues with trophy lists showing up black...
    Avy by DaRe_xLw

Judgement by Blaster

I've been a part of this forum since 2013, to be honest I wasn't much of a forum participant was only here for the trophy guides. But after a while I became more involved with the community. In my opinion I have seen the site slowed done at times but Now i see more and more new players joining the site to join the variety of forum topics or sharing trophies and those like myself who help others boost hose really tough to get trophies. People still participate in the new trophy, game or plat forums many times each day. So in my opinion, I don't find that the site is dead or killed, it has just slowed down but I do see it slowly coming back into its own.
    Last edited by indian_spirit_22; 12-06-2014 at 08:12 PM.
    Thanks to DaRe_xLw for the awesome Sig.

Harvester of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by MrFudge View Post
    I've been a member of this site for years. I was here long before that 'great crash' from 3 (roughly) years ago and although I've frequently gone through period of not using it, I've always loved this site.

Nowadays I come on every, say, 4 months or so and see a wasteland.

I've just been on the 'General Chit-Chat' section. Back in the day, there would always be like 45 people viewing it. Now there's 4. Once upon a time, every thread on the first page would have had a reply form that day. Now the last reply in the entire section is over a week ago.

This makes me sad. I spent a lot of (fantastic) time on this site in my past, and really got to love the community (even if I'm an unknown). Chambers35, DrMayus, NeroRadec (PS I stole that and turned it into NitoRadec for my Steam account), Timeless-Enigma, Bodigard, Bounce, Feral.....just some of the many great people who I used to love seeing on this site. I go on some of their profiles now and they haven't been on in months, if not years. I even miss the guys who used to annoy me (some guy called 'spoons' or something. OH and we can't forget about....I've forgotten his name....the Nintendo fanboy...'don't Google trypophobia' was once his bio..? PS360!!)

So what happened? Lack of funding? Another crash? Or, much like with me, people just started placing this site low down on their priorities list, and over time this gradually snowballed?

I miss the good ol' days, and unfortunately can't see them ever returning
    I myself took a break for this past year, and honestly I remember you and I missed the place. I've finally started coming back on more and regaining my original habits here. I noticed a great decline since the last time and like you wondering what happened exactly. I think some more funding and advertisement might help regain a bit, but it needs more support from the admins seems to be the general consensus I hear.

NitoRadec. I like that . *steals for random other account* J/k .

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Harvester of Souls

Just read all the comments and wow .

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 4 - Silver

Many, many replies that I agree with here. Definitely gonna start posting much more, starting today, in the hope of revitalisation. I've had this site on my favourites bar ever since I started this thread, so it's time to finally make use of it.

Being in Uni makes this difficult, but part of a post I made earlier* made me remember the good days, so I'm also gonna try and reboot my trophy hunting (whenever I'm home). This in turn should hopefully lead to more posting on here. Might consider volunteering to do some work for this site too e.g. reviews.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]*"Playing games I wasn't enjoying was a chore and it's a damn shame because trophy hunting on good games was amazing fun, but I have 0 desire for it anymore"[/FONT]

Also, I haven't seen many mention Social Media. I think this could be very beneficial. I know we have a Twitter account (@PS3_Trophies) that absolutely sucks, it's just an endless stream of links with no life behind it. It's still the first result when you type in 'ps3t' on Twitter, which is good. A reboot of this and any other social media this site has would be positive steps forward.

https://twitter.com/PS3_Trophies

YouTube. As far as I'm aware, we don't have a YT channel. We all know how popular YT gaming is. Why not set up a channel for everything Playstation? Trophy and non-trophy related. Reviews, playthroughs, competitions, top 10's, comedy videos. Videos for specific games (e.g. how to get the hardest trophies from it). Give individual videos to single community members. The channel already has a guaranteed fanbase, us, which is something that almost every other successful YT gaming channel never had, so advantage us. This fanbase could contribute towards videos with ease in the form of co-op and versus videos. 85% of games offer these features nowadays. Have members play eachother on FIFA, duel with one another on Dark Souls 2 or co-op ____ together, etcetera. Games like FIFA/things like DS2 duelling have infinite re-playability. Build from there, advertise the site in the videos and increase traffic. Anybody here with game-recording devices, e.g. Elgato, could be very helpful.

Not just more content, but more forms of content. Just go on IGN for 10 seconds and see their insane variety. They're known as a gaming site first, everything else second.

This one's a bit random, but it just came to me. I know we don't want to dilute this site, but films/TV are also one of the Internet's most popular discussion topics. I'd be extremely interested if this feature (e.g. reviews, trailers, forums etc) was properly added to this site. I'd be a regular contributor.

Btw I wouldn't mind if more ads appeared on this site (if you have any offers). More funding is needed. The only ad I ever see is that small bar at the top.

Just some thoughts, let me know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BSm...eature=mh_lolz

THE LINK ABOVE IS A PILE OF SHIT, PLEASE DON'T CLICK ON IT. THANKYOU VERY MUCH.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast