Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

What killed this site?

This is a discussion on What killed this site? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I've been a member of this site for years. I was here long before that 'great crash' from 3 (roughly) ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

What killed this site?

I've been a member of this site for years. I was here long before that 'great crash' from 3 (roughly) years ago and although I've frequently gone through period of not using it, I've always loved this site.

Nowadays I come on every, say, 4 months or so and see a wasteland.

I've just been on the 'General Chit-Chat' section. Back in the day, there would always be like 45 people viewing it. Now there's 4. Once upon a time, every thread on the first page would have had a reply form that day. Now the last reply in the entire section is over a week ago.

This makes me sad. I spent a lot of (fantastic) time on this site in my past, and really got to love the community (even if I'm an unknown). Chambers35, DrMayus, NeroRadec (PS I stole that and turned it into NitoRadec for my Steam account), Timeless-Enigma, Bodigard, Bounce, Feral.....just some of the many great people who I used to love seeing on this site. I go on some of their profiles now and they haven't been on in months, if not years. I even miss the guys who used to annoy me (some guy called 'spoons' or something. OH and we can't forget about....I've forgotten his name....the Nintendo fanboy...'don't Google trypophobia' was once his bio..? PS360!!)

So what happened? Lack of funding? Another crash? Or, much like with me, people just started placing this site low down on their priorities list, and over time this gradually snowballed?

I miss the good ol' days, and unfortunately can't see them ever returning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BSm...eature=mh_lolz

THE LINK ABOVE IS A PILE OF SHIT, PLEASE DON'T CLICK ON IT. THANKYOU VERY MUCH.

Needs More Rum

I couldn't place exactly why it's gone downhill as it has. Think a lot of people just lost interest and went to other sites. It is really sad to see this place in the state it's in but unless anyone can pin-point the problem it'll stay a ghost town.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Kiwi Defender

As Feral said, it's hard to pin-point what exactly happened, but one of the main issues is the lack of new features or mayor overhauls. The site looks the same as it did years ago, and it's rather outdated on that department. There's also the increasing lack of interest in the forums. Most people who check the site seem to do so just for the trphy guides, and even those are getting less views than they used to.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Stop looking at me swan!

Well, I think there are a few things it came down to which led to it's state right now. People becoming disinterested, real life took over, or were involved in site drama and chose to leave to another website. However the other nail in the coffin was when we no longer could be independent and had to rely on our sister sites to get all of our information. I'm sure many people found it redundant to go through a few websites to do what one website could offer alone. Then to top off with everything Nag has said above.

PRO Member

It is very sad as this is still a great site for trophy guides, probably one of the best to be honest. I check the news feeds everyday still but there is less and less being reported each week. I think the final nail in the coffin was when the site stopped showing users trophy lists. Now if I want to view my trophy lists, trophies I need to work on, percentage rates etc, I use, excuse me for being naughty, ***********.

The Grand Ray Legend

I agree with everything that was said here, I still love this site with all my heart and I will never stop coming here since I came in 2010, but it has lost some steam...with real life to drama, I don't know what to do to fix it..but I hope one day it gets back to order
    Sig made by Beam / Avy made by DaRe_xLw

You Know You Love Me

Quote Originally Posted by MrFudge View Post
    What killed this site?
    It was Colonel Mustard, in the Billiards Room, with the Candlestick.

PRO Member

Bring back platmate of the month.

illegal in 9 countries

Post-crash apathy.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Lvl 4 - Silver

I came to this site for the trophy guides and as long as there will be guides for new game here I'll visit this site regularly. A second feature that kept me here rather than on another trophy site was the possibility to update your trophies. That was a feature no other trophy guide site could give me and they look much nicer here than on the XMB menu.

Unfortunately this feature is no longer available and now this site is loosely coupled with psntl.com. I really wouldn't mind if these sites are going to be merged but as of now I always have to leave this site to check on my new and recent trophies. Along with this come certain technical weaknesses I noticed after a while. Why are there games that either don't have a forum at all or are lacking substantial threads like the "official difficulty rating" or the link to the trophy list? Probably this is due to a lot of manual work necessary but a modern site would just create this infrastructure automatically, at least for the trophy lists there appears to be some external data source so why not in the same step create a forum automatically? Another inconvenience is the linking between trophy guide and forum, namely that there is none. If I am in a trophy guide I want to jump to the forum in one click and not by clicking on Forums, then on platform & letter and then scroll down to the respective game and have again to click to see a list of available threads.

All these hindrances might contribute to the lack of activity and when I then look over at another certain trophy site, and see there in a forum dedicated to a newly released indie game 20 different threads while here for an AAA title that has been out for years only one unanswered thread (apart from the standard threads for boosting, difficulty etc.) it's no surprise that people tend to move to other sites.

In addition I wouldn't be surprised if some people move away due to the posting/communication policies here. I once asked here about a certain other trophy site if there was any relation between it and this site. As a response half an hour later my thread got deleted by an administrator and he wrote me on my profile that "we don't like to talk about this site here".

On another occasion I asked if anybody knew a source with trophy information regarding one game because it didn't even have a forum here back then. I got a reply by a moderator telling me they wouldn't want to refer to any external content since this a trophy site as well.

Another time I posted some information in a "work in progress" trophy guide. However the trophy guide wasn't labeled work in progress and there was no info either that it's not appreciated to add information to a work in progress guide. So in the most polite way possible I suggested some information I'd add to the guide and also left a question about how to obtain a (very grindy) trophy the most efficient way in the discussion tab. Another user replied to my post and gave me an answer to the question about the grindy trophy. Some time later a moderator decided this information shouldn't exist in the discussion tab since it's a work in progress guide so both our posts got removed.

Those three examples aren't exactly a reason to contribute to site that is getting more and more inactive. And while I get into situations like the three mentioned above on this site I've found a topic on another trophy site where this and their trophy site were openly compared without any bitching, rude comments or an admin feeling the need to censor any parts because they could potentially let their site look bad. Additionally on many other sites I see people posting links to other sites if they provide additional information for trophy guides without any negative consequences. "Get the information here or don't get it at all" seems to be the slogan on this site. Then on this same site I see a very active discussion at the trophy guides reaching over 100 pages for some games and while browsing through it it often gives me additional information that is helpful but wasn't included in the guide itself. Here this extra information gets removed and about this particular situation I mentioned above I even notified the guide owner about the post (after I posted it and before it got removed). The sad result is that none of my info provided is currently in the guide which was finished few weeks ago and I never received a feedback.

If I was to decide now to become a new (and active) member on a trophy guide site I'd probably opt for another rather than this.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I think most of the active members here now can all think of one or more reasons why this site lost so many members.

Real question is : what can we do to bring it back alive?

I'm a hardcore fan of this site and i don't have a problem with keeping PSNTL.com on the site for the trophies, but it might be true it should merge or something, it might be a good thing if someone gave this site a make-over and/or pimp it up a little.

Crocodile Hunter

I have also been around a long time before the crash and i was gone over a year from here and only recently started looking at the site again.
    Although i have had my own personal life to deal with, getting older, finishing college and getting qualifications etc that is not really a excuse not to game and use this site.

I come back from over a year absent and it looks exactly the same... it feel exactly the same, as if its a room left untouched over the generations. a lot of older prominent members of the community have left, I was once a big name on here myself for those of you left who remember, i was a staff member and i helped start the free PRO for members and the monthly give aways with nero before we both left and GDT stepped up to take our place.

I think there are a few reasons for the fall of PS3T.

1. Old members who were well liked and very active, Each have left for their own reasons but i know a lot left because of altercations with the current staff at the time.

2. Activity, the forums are dead.The is no comps or giveaways too keep people here. nothing more to say on this really.

3. This reason i think is a big one and I know i will get a lot of bitching about it or even ban or deleted post buuut..... the staff. I see 90% are still here from the olden days, this poses 2 problems, 1 there is no staff rotation, there is no incentive to be a active community member and try to help out the staff if we all know we wont have any chance of recognition, this was before the time of our free giveaways. no reason to try.
    Reason 2. The current staff (remember i was staff at one point and saw for myself) have no fear of losing their title, they are in their own little worlds and only care about themselves and only help out their friends to become staff on rare occasions. they say there is a unanimous vote but no. it came down to a couple of people and whether they liked you or not.
    The few staff were powerhungry and egotistical and it was their way or the highway, and i recall losing a lot of good members because of it. I personally had a few fights with some members about power and unfairness and with this and other reasons i lost my title. I also remember members who had some of the best guides around and didnt get any recognition for it because they also had altercations with staff. More could be said but i dont really see the point, the owners non-existence of this site is also a huge blow, for if they dont care about improving the site and only care about the money then why should anyone else?

I am not innocent in this, When i was staff i was young and i thought i was awesome and i fought with certain members just because they were dicks, but maturity comes with age and life lessons.A lot more could be said but i have made my point. I think staff need to be thrown out and a overhaul on the sites looks, design and how it works and start fresh. this is the only way PS3T will be reborn.

If my post gets deleted or i get banned so be it, i dont come here anymore anyway. If by chance some staff decide to answer this post try not to make excuses and lie in fear of what will happen. I spoke to most of you at one time or another and you all know what i say is truth.

I wish you all the best PS3T

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 7 - Gold

Well this thread is really getting somewhere. It seems like a focus group of existing members, which is what this site could use. It could also use a flexible staff who are willing to listen and adapt their strategy to a changing environment and let the pride come before the fall. I have had a couple mild skirmishes with the staff here and they were most unpleasant with me and it left a terrible taste in my mouth because it seemed more like a dictatorship rather than a community with open discussion and mutual respect. I don't mean to badmouth the staff, as I know none of you personally, so I think the focus should be on policy.

Hiding the names of other sites doesn't make people comfortable. It doesn't prevent anyone from finding them since we can google anything we want so hiding them really seems childish to me and has a really micromanaged feel to it. Nobody in 2014 wants to hear that they can't do or see something on the internet. Nobody enjoys feeling controlled like that and I'm sure the staff here doesn't like that feeling either.

Not having a way to view trophy lists without having to do several extra steps is hurting this site for sure. I don't know much about running a site but I think that you folks should do whatever it takes to accomplish that. You are falling behind other sites in that regard. Maybe merging is the way to go, maybe implementing some new structure is the way to go. I don't know but I'm sure you guys have some ideas on how to do it and they need to be further explored.

I have been a member for a long time now, including the pre-crash era. I like the site and will continue to visit so don't think I am just here to bash it. Something that nobody has mentioned yet is the 2 huge fails in the last year that drove some people out. I'm talking about the Trophy Kawmp and GDT's giveaway fails. I like GDT a lot and he is on my personal friends list but that was a doozy. He seemingly disappeared right when the competition was coming to a head and that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way when people didn't get their prizes or got them late. It felt like a promise unfulfilled. The trophy Kawmp was a debacle to be sure. Banishments, cheating, threats, etc...And who won? Staff. The whole thing seemed rigged or at least set up disproportionately in favor of the site royalty. I have a few friends that either can't or won't return to the site ever again because of it and that is a shame because they were good community members.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I may not be one of the prominent members here, but I visited daily for trophy hunting purposes. What drove me away was losing the functionality of the dashboard and trophy list. I know that wasn't this site's fault, so it's a shame they're paying for it.

I liked when I could just hit the button here to update the list and not have to make sure I update on another site first, and that it would keep a complete log of my games in the dashboard to easily select a game I was working on since I often play a few at a time. It takes more clicks than it used to, not to mention going through an alphabetical list, to find games if my last trophy in that game came before the last 10 trophies I got. It's a turn off.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Negator

I think it all boils down to the village raising the child. Without input from the community, this site generally has no function. If the members don't contribute, we're left with a staff of about 20 individuals...and we can't do it all on our own.

As for "staff rotations" and issues with previous staff...shit happens. We can't just go rotating out staff members on a whim. Somebody's gotta run the back-end of the site, even if the community itself doesn't contribute nearly as much as it has in the past.

I personally think a major factor in the decline in active members has to do with people jumping ship for a new fad, much like the new smartphone craze each year. Without a community to support it, any site will fall prey to inactivity and look desolate. The rise and fall of an internet domain is something the majority of all sites have to be mindful of...this site is no exception.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

well as a member who has been here for 4-5 years, this is my only reason for being distant in the forums
    i would find trophy guides faster elsewhere especially japanese games since im a big import consumer
    i drop by here every so often to see news update but now i find out by faster means
    met kool ppl here before and even they have vanished so i just come here out of habit lol

also personally, i have lost interest in many games except the franchises i love like AC, uncharted, resident evil.
    so i dont search as much as i used to
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 7 - Gold

Just go to the humor picture thread. You'll notice it's about 20% funny pictures and 80% people arguing about what's funny and what isn't. That's the kind of thing that has turned me off personally. The site has become more of a soapbox war zone than a community.

PRO Member

Been a member for a while! and at some point i ended up becoming a pro member. This was because the people here was friendly and cool! and the best guides are in this place and i have used them alot. I felt that i needed to give something back. I'm proboly not the most active member on this site, but i used the site alot.

Not sure when the site turned, but people was starting to get wery agressive and just throwing comment's for no reason at all. People used to talk more around here before. And i think they were not AFRAID of putting questions out no matter what it was. People would just explain or give them a link to the problem rather then throwing commet's to them. I think this is mainly the problem that the activiti went down.

I don't meen that people can't dissagre, but there is no reason to throw crap for nothing. Maybe there should be some restrictions for this?

The site was awsome and i hope it get's back to it's glory days. I love the trophie guides and the people taking time to do them for free. Thanks again.

*insert Latin phrase*

Not one specific thing, more like a plethora.

1. The site crash wasn't as big a deciding factor as might be expected, but it only left the members who were dedicated enough to reregister and whatnot.

2. The trophy issues with this site are still rampant. Part of the fun was checking out other peoples' profiles and seeing their progression in games, but now you can only see their five most recent trophies. It was also beneficial for checking your own stats.

3. The site layout is painstakingly similar to the original layout(s). There's no visible progression, just implied stagnation.

Among a few things, but I do hate seeing this site being so much more barren than my early years. I do hope this site is able to recuperate though, I love this place and the community to calls it home the same way.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Elpoko View Post
    This site is pretty dead alright.
    What we need is something to stimulate activity, something to get people interested.
    I would be more than happy to contribute something like a 20 euro PSN voucher every month if anyone has any ideas.
    I tried Make a Member Pro a couple of months back but it went nowhere, simply donating money to the Site doesn't seem to do anything.
    The best we could hope for are site competitions. Davey offered a $20 PSN card to whoever wins the NFL Fantasy League this season, which I'm sure helped us get a few more people in (for we were hurting in that department lol).

The main issue is organizing the competitions, as well as getting enough people to join them, which seem to be the two bigger problems we're facing if we engage in such activities.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast