How can i make my new PS3 controller work?

This is a discussion on How can i make my new PS3 controller work? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I just purchased a new PS3 and it came with a controller. I pluged everything in and the the controller ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

How can i make my new PS3 controller work?

I just purchased a new PS3 and it came with a controller. I pluged everything in and the the controller doesnt work. When i plug it in the red lights flash for a long time, so i left it plugged in for a while to sync and charge. None of the buttons on the controller work, not even the PS button. I have attempted to reset the controller, when i do the screen acts as though i am attempting to connect to wifi (?) and the controller quits flashing 1-4 and stays solid on 1. Any advice?
    Why do you care what other people think?

Lvl 9 - Gold

what kind is it

Lvl 6 - Silver

how did you reset controller

Everyone Loves Candy

Try plugging it into your PS3 with the usb cord and when it's connected press the PS button on the controller. That's how it's supposed to work. That's what I did when I bought my new PS3.
    Hi Mom!

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

i had no problem with my controller, just a simple plug in and it worked

no way for you to check which port its set to?
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redslayer76 View Post
    Try plugging it into your PS3 with the usb cord and when it's connected press the PS button on the controller. That's how it's supposed to work. That's what I did when I bought my new PS3.
    ^^Pretty much this. If that doesn't work, then let the lights go off, hit the reset button, plug the controller w/USB cord into the PS3, let the lights flash for 30 seconds, then press the PS button. Should work by then. If not, then you need a new controller.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

What they said, pretty much
    I plug in and set up my controller this way every time i need to bring my controller somewhere else, and it seems to work then so...if it still doesn't work, last resort..talk to support, but i hope you figure it out by then =]
    -----
    posted this forgetting i was on this page for a few minutes, yeh now that i read it you could get a new controller but...blah..whatever works
    Add me if you want (soulless94), as long as you don't randomly delete me for no reason
    If I randomly add you, it's because you're awesome...wanted an answer? There it is. =]
    -----
    Cops don't protect against mugging, abuse, or grand theft. I thought you should know how great your "protectors" are.
    -----
    Myanimelist - Ryxia6392

Lvl 10 - Platinum

try this, if still not working bring it back to the store and get replacement

Lvl 6 - Silver

some times mine act up and i have to use the reset button on the back then plug in the cable when I press the ps button. But sounds like you covered that.
    Batman Arkham Asylum l Batman Arkham City l Bioshock l Borderlands l GoW: Chains of Olympus l God of War
    GoW: Ghost of Sparta l God of War II l God of War III l InFamous l Killzone l Killzone 3 l LEGO Batman 2 l LEGO LotR
    LittleBigPlanet l LittleBigPlanet Vita l Plants Vs. Zombies Vita l PS All-Stars Vita l R&C: Going Commando
    R&C: Up Your Arsenal l R&C: A Crack in Time l R&C: All4One l R&C: Full Frontal Assault l Resistance: Burning Skies
    The Walking Dead l Trine 2 l Uncharted: Golden Abyss

ILoveU4Life

Try resetting, I read somewhere to reset it you have to put a little pencil or something in one of the holes on the back of the controller, when I had this problem I tried this and hey presto, it worked.

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by lowrencese View Post
    and the controller quits flashing 1-4 and stays solid on 1. Any advice?
    It should be synced and working if it stays solid on 1.... When you get a ps3 now adays, you have to charge the controller before you can really use it unless you prefer to have it plugged in for awhile.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    It should be synced and working if it stays solid on 1.... When you get a ps3 now adays, you have to charge the controller before you can really use it unless you prefer to have it plugged in for awhile.
    strange i didnt have to charge my controller when i got it a month ago

if your controller still isnt working try dimming the lights, lighting some incense
    throw on that kenny g saxophone music and just whisper to your controller
    that should do it
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    strange i didnt have to charge my controller when i got it a month ago

if your controller still isnt working try dimming the lights, lighting some incense
    throw on that kenny g saxophone music and just whisper to your controller
    that should do it
    Then maybe you got a brand new ps3 that wasn't sitting around for awhile. I've purchased 6 ps3's all together, 1 used 5 new. I think the only one I didn't have to charge was my original 80gb BC ps3's controller. The rest were completely dead when I opened it up to use them.