Headset Recommendations Please

This is a discussion on Headset Recommendations Please within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I bought the MW3 Turtle beach headset and mic just over a year ago, and it wasn't long before it ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Headset Recommendations Please

I bought the MW3 Turtle beach headset and mic just over a year ago, and it wasn't long before it started to break and go wrong.
    So only a fool makes the same mistake twice..i bought a new set.
    Once again this headset has failed me, the wires inside have discconected and in the bin it goes.
    The bad thing is, I didn't even use it that much.

So, can anyone recommend a set that may last me longer?
    I need decent quality as I will be using it to watch Nowtv and Netflix when the rest of the family are asleep.
    No silly prices though as i can't afford very expensive just yet.

Thanks

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Warmdrift View Post
    I bought the MW3 Turtle beach headset and mic just over a year ago, and it wasn't long before it started to break and go wrong.
    So only a fool makes the same mistake twice..i bought a new set.
    Once again this headset has failed me, the wires inside have discconected and in the bin it goes.
    The bad thing is, I didn't even use it that much.

So, can anyone recommend a set that may last me longer?
    I need decent quality as I will be using it to watch Nowtv and Netflix when the rest of the family are asleep.
    No silly prices though as i can't afford very expensive just yet.

Thanks
    I've had my PS Silver headset for a year or so and haven't had any issues yet. It works between PS3 and PS4 and only costs about $60. That's really the only headset I've had that was worth it.

illegal in 9 countries

Turtle Beach make low-grade crap. Go with Astro A40s or A50s. They're top quality and will last for years and years and work on all consoles (PS3, PS4, XB1, 360).

Aside from a decent low input-lag screen (Sony Bravia is the best HDTV in that regard), a good set of cans is the best gaming investment you'll make.

You can either save your bucks for good gear, or continue the cycle of burning through shitty headsets. You'll end up paying more in the long run by buying shit gear.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Sine Labore Nihil

I use this one, works great with PS3, PS4 &

(Gold Wireless shown)

Battery life is not great but heck that is an issue with most electronics!

Toggle Spoiler

Choose GOLD Wireless or SILVER Wireless Headset like mike posted, or other recommendations, the choice is yours.

Check it here: Sony Wireless
    Lastest :

Currently Playing: PS3:LBP+MOH
    Vita: KZ: Mercenary
    PS4:Destiny + Guacamelee! STCE

Rockstar | Bungie
    xEl_Cidx's La Conquista checklist

Unete al grupo: Jugadores Espaņol

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Thanks guys

Lvl 6 - Silver

I use the sony headset that came out about a year before the one that xel_cidx suggests and have had them for over year with no problems and they have great sound quality I got mine for about 75 bucks

The One and Only

I've only used Turtle Beach headsets (P11, which lasted two years before the input died, I'm currently using the PLa), so from my experiences, they're pretty good if you need something that's not too expensive and need something before you start saving up for a more expensive/better quality headset. The ones I mentioned are wired, which are actually a real pain, so I wouldn't recommend those. I've heard many great things about the Astro headsets, so from what I heard, I say go for those for the long term.

I also heard the Sony headsets are good too!

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 1
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 3 - Bronze

looking at the sony headsets, im confused now, whats the difference between 2.0 and 7.1 etc etc?

illegal in 9 countries

7.1 is full surround sound.

.1 = subwoofer
    1 = centre-front
    2 = left-front
    3 = right-front
    4 = left
    5 = right
    6 = left-rear
    7 = right-rear
    -----------------
    TOTAL = 7.1 channels.

5.1 is surround sound, with no rear channels.
    .1 = subwoofer
    1 = centre-front
    2 = left-front
    3 = right-front
    4 = left
    5 = right
    -----------------
    TOTAL = 5.1 channels.

2.0 = stereo, or left and right channels only.

The purpose of surround sound is to assist with positioning. For example,

• With 7.1 surround sound, you can clearly hear gunshots or footsteps to the front, sides and behind you and you'll pinpoint exactly where it came from. Not every game is 7.1, so not every game supports channels to the rear. In this case, 7.1 simply degrades to 5.1.
    • With 5.1, you can hear to the front and sides, but can't really pinpoint sounds behind you. All FPS games are 5.1 or above.
    • With 2.0, it's only to the sides. Both l & r at the same volume functions as front or back, but you can't pinpoint the sound as either front or back.

7.1 is the way to go. Keep in mind, headphones all function on a stereo signal. The 5.1 and 7.1 comes from software manipulating the signal into a fake virtual surround sound environment. It does work - if I'm playing with 7.1 headphones, there is a noticeable improvement over 5.1 for noises behind you and it's easy to tell if it's right-rear, left-rear, or directly behind.

Coming down the pipe is 9.1 surround sound, which adds up and down to the soundscape. Currently, all formats provide only 2D sound with no up or down. 9.1 is 3D and fills in the gaps for a full 360 degree soundscape in any direction and you'll be able to hear if a noise has come from the front, side or back and higher or lower ground. Think of it as VR for your ears.

Another option is to buy a MixAmp Pro from Astro Gaming and use whatever headphones you want. The MixAmp converts the stereo output from a console TOSlink (optical) port and converts it into Dolby Surround 7.1, giving virtual surround sound output to any stereo headset. If you want chat, you'll obviously need a mic, either on the headset, or an external device. The PS camera on PS4 / PS3, or Kinect on XB1 / 360 can be used as a mic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another far more expensive option is to ditch gaming headsets altogether (in audiophile terms, they're all shit) and use a HDMI receiver connected to your console/s and your TV to output the raw high-def HDMI audio signal direct to a headphone jack on the receiver. This can be a full-blown home theatre receiver, or a small headphone AMP, like the Creative X7. When combined with high-end headphones from Audio-Technica, Sennheiser, AKG or Beyerdynamic, it (apparently) puts every gaming headset to shame.

There's a great summary at Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (2/17/2015: X2 -partial-, Evshrug's X7 Review added) - absolutely worth a read if you want to soundwhore in FPS games, or to simply make a comparison between gaming headsets. All headphones in the review are connected via the Wireless MixAmp 5.8 which outputs 7.1 surround sound, except the A50s, which have their own wireless MixAmp 7.1 transmitter.

I've opted to go the home theatre receiver route myself (I wanted to setup a 5.1 home theatre anyway) to see if it really is that much better than a gaming headset. I've bought a Yamaha RX-S600 receiver for the (apparently) excellent Silent Cinema virtual surround sound and Philips Fidelio X2 headphones which (apparently) excels at virtual surround sound. The problem is because the S600 is only 5.1, I'll lose the two rear channels of 7.1, so I'm not 100% confident in this setup for gaming.

I own the original wired MixAmp (5.1), Wireless MixAmp 5.8 (7.1), wireless Astro A50 headset (7.1) and Logitech Z5500 (5.1) speakers, which are connected to the A50's MixAmp via optical throughput. So I'll have all the tools at my disposal to make an attempt at an objective review. I suspect I'll probably end up using the MixAmp 5.8 with the X2 headphones for the best result.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 03-13-2015 at 11:35 PM.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Finally my Sony 2.0 have arrived.
    There is a usb port in the back of my tv, thought they would work in there, but not so for some reason.
    Can anyone ellaborate?

Lord of all Goat-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Warmdrift View Post
    Finally my Sony 2.0 have arrived.
    There is a usb port in the back of my tv, thought they would work in there, but not so for some reason.
    Can anyone ellaborate?
    They only work with consoles and PCs. Read the box.