Anyone with YLOD experience ?

This is a discussion on Anyone with YLOD experience ? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I got the YLOD on Saturday 15th. It got so bad it would not turn on at all. I did ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Anyone with YLOD experience ?

I got the YLOD on Saturday 15th. It got so bad it would not turn on at all. I did that temp fix with a hairdryer on the 17th and it worked no problem. The only problem i have is its still working. Everyone i talked to said that temp fix would work for a few hours or a day. Im sortta scared because it might shut down for good and i wont be able to deactivate my name from that system. My question is - How long has any YLOD fix worked for you ? and if i called Sony can they deactivate my name from my system ?

Thanks

Death is Awaiting....

Go ahead and deactivate it now before it does die again. I've had experience with YLOD, and didn't get to deactivate mine. So i would go ahead and do that. Oh, if you called Sony they might be able to, not sure tho.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

Change is mediocre

What do you mean, deactivate? Also, i have had 3, last one was 15 days ago.

Everyone Loves Candy

Question: How long has any YLOD fix worked for you?
    Answer: If you mean how many times have I got YLOD and fixed it. Everytime. like 5+
    Question: Can Sony deactivate my name from my system?
    Answer: Not sure. I'd say it's a 50/50

When I got YLOD I wanted to see the different ways of fixing it. Came down to sending it to Sony for, I think it was, $150. Or fix it myself for less then $50. Yeah I fixed it myself. When I knew I was able to have it run for so long I turned it off. Didn't turn it back on. Went out bought a new one. Transferred data and deactivated old system.
    Hi Mom!

Death is Awaiting....

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    What do you mean, deactivate? Also, i have had 3, last one was 15 days ago.
    When you download something on your account, you activate it. So say your PS3 is about to die. You go to Account Management > System Activation > PS3 System > Game > Deactivate. So then you have a free slot to download things again. You can only download things on your account 5 times, so once that limit is reached, if your PS3 dies, you can't download anything on your account with the new one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

Huge Gaming Backlog

Never had the YLOD but the fan inside my ps3 seems to be blowing way to high sometimes. That might be the beginnings of the YLOD.
    What do you mean deactivate your name from your system, is it a problem if you don't.

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by WeApOnS- View Post
    When you download something on your account, you activate it. So say your PS3 is about to die. You got to Account Management > System Activation > PS3 System > Game > Deactivate. So then you have a free slot to download things again. You can only download things on your account 5 times, so once that limit is reached, if your PS3 dies, you can't download anything on your account with the new one.
    Ok, cuz im gonna be taking it in to a shop, so they can move all my data onto a new ps3. If im not over the 5 download limit, this wouldnt affect me?

Death is Awaiting....

[QUOTE=dsluckay;48088]Ok, cuz im gonna be taking it in to a shop, so they can move all my data onto a new ps3. If im not over the 5 download limit, this wouldnt affect me?[/QUOTE

No sir, it wouldn't
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

Huge Gaming Backlog

Great. I will remember that. I'd say my ps3 is on the way out.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Yes....Deactivate it in account management. When I did the hairdryer fix to my YLOD'd PS3, I backed up my data, deactivated my system & traded it in for the slim. It's just my experience & recommend you do the same.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by VANDRO View Post
    I got the YLOD on Saturday 15th. It got so bad it would not turn on at all. I did that temp fix with a hairdryer on the 17th and it worked no problem. The only problem i have is its still working. Everyone i talked to said that temp fix would work for a few hours or a day. Im sortta scared because it might shut down for good and i wont be able to deactivate my name from that system. My question is - How long has any YLOD fix worked for you ? and if i called Sony can they deactivate my name from my system ?

Thanks
    Weird, I've never heard of the hairdryer trick ever working. Maybe your ps3 just needed to cool down for a few hours.

But anyways, If you infact do have YLOD, there are many ways to approach it. Fix it yourself, get someone else to fix it, or deactivate your accounts and throw your ps3 away. Bottom line is, you will always be able to fix a YLOD if it's a overheating issue and you can deactivate your account from your system by fixing it. Also, Sony will deactivate the name on your system as well.

Lastly, as far as how long my YLOD fix worked for me, permanently. I'm running on over a year and a half now on a YLOD with 0 problems. But that's because I modified my ps3 with a custom case and extra cooling power. The Fat ps3's look awesome, but are a disaster for overheating. Unless you want a YLOD every week-year, the only fix it to constantly reball/reflow your board or build a better case for your ps3.

Enjoy

Lvl 5 - Silver

Whats Deactivating do?

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

he means deactivating his account so he wont lose a slot

listen buddy deactiavte and constantly backup game saves on anything your playing
    ps plus cloud storage is your friend if you have it

just becuz it didnt die yet wont mean it wont..be safe then sorry
    and invest in a new ps3 slim

im speaking off YLOD 2X Experience
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 1 - Bronze

aight thanks for everyone's reply. I will just leave it alone with all my accounts deactivated. A new Uncharted 3: 320 gig for $300 on sale soon. I'll pick that up.

Its gonna be so hard to keep my hands off the PS3 in the meantime. Once ya get that itch to play its hard to ignore.

Thanks

Lvl 3 - Bronze

My PS3 is still going strong!

member since Oct 2009

My 40 gb phat kicked the bucket over a year ago. I have yet to try to fix it. I want to get it fixed because there are somethings on there that I want. Need to deactivate it also as I can't get anything video wise from the store.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by fillabong View Post
    My 40 gb phat kicked the bucket over a year ago. I have yet to try to fix it. I want to get it fixed because there are somethings on there that I want. Need to deactivate it also as I can't get anything video wise from the store.
    Well the majority of folks that send it in get a refurbished one back. I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket.

member since Oct 2009

Quote Originally Posted by VANDRO View Post
    Well the majority of folks that send it in get a refurbished one back. I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket.
    No I wouldn't send it to Sony to fix it. I would try one of the methods on you tube with the heat gun and thermal paste. I would also get PS Plus for the Cloud feature to get the locked saves I want off there. Just need to get off my ass and try.