Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The Tortuous Life of an American Teenage Gamer

This is a discussion on The Tortuous Life of an American Teenage Gamer within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Wow. Grounded for a B-. That sucks. If I was grounded every time I got bad grades I wouldn't even ...

Huge Gaming Backlog

Wow. Grounded for a B-. That sucks. If I was grounded every time I got bad grades I wouldn't even know what a Playstation was.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

My sister threw a knife at me when I was a kid so I punched her in the mouth and my mom took all my stuff from my room even my Lego, I had to go without FFVII for the entire summer

Jay
    ಠ_ಠ

Quote Originally Posted by TeenageMutantNun View Post
    My sister threw a knife at me when I was a kid so I punched her in the mouth and my mom took all my stuff from my room even my Lego, I had to go without FFVII for the entire summer
    Wait, did you explain that story to your mum...?

Huge Gaming Backlog

Quote Originally Posted by TeenageMutantNun View Post

Lol lol lol lol lol. Have seen the same thing happen at a mates place when I was younger.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Lvl 1 - Bronze

there is a lesson to be learned here..... never let your parents see you grades. But in all seriousness that is pretty harsh. I remember AP Calc.... a B- is not that bad

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by DrHorrible123 View Post
    I've been looking forward to Arkham City since the day they announced it. So, I saved up enough money to buy the game, and picked it up at Best Buy last saturday. I get home and popped the disc into my PS3. I grabbed some snacks, preparing for an intense gaming maraton, then I picked up the anticipation. Just as the game got to the title screen my mother came downstairs and shut off the PS3 because I did not have satisfactory grades in APcalculus (i have a B-), and was then grounded. Now I can't B:AC until Thanksgiving. FML.

I hope I'm not the only one with insanely melodramatic stories about being a teenage gamer. Share yours!
    I hate it when parents always try to make sure you get an A on every fucking class (my parents are like that too), so I feel your pain. I honestly don't see what's wrong with a B, regardless of the sign, even if it's not as good as an A since not everyone can do that well in Calculus or any math course.

Hope you can manage the time without the game

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

PRO Member

Lol im sorry but getting a B- in a tough class and getting grounded. I think that I would only get grounded for like a C- or lower.

Sig by Bladia

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    Woah, yeah...that really sucks. Plus I've heard that censorship is tough over there.
    We don't have any 18+ rating for games in Australia...ya think?

Lvl 4 - Silver

I just read the OP and laughed. I took AP Euro History and ended up with a B and my parents were the exact same way. Then my teacher talked to them that if it was none AP my mark would be 15% higher. That got them to lighten up.

But back to the point, I'm graduated now and started working and its hard to make time to play. I took high school for granted
    Avatar by cmgravekeeper | Signature by Wadefan1

BZA
    Lvl 2 - Bronze

I live in America (South America) so I think I will share my experience nonetheless.

Well, I've been a gamer since I have memory, and here in my country games usually cost more than over there in The States. Right now, new games are around $70-75, and collector's editions (for example Infamous 2's Hero Edition or Catherine's Love is Over) are around $150. Games take around 6 months after release to cost $10 less and about two years to be $30.

So, basically, the main issue I have is money. It sucks. Games aren't that much more expensive BUT we do make less money here than in the States. I'm studying so I don't have a lot of time to work anyway. I've been told many times that I chose the wrong hobby, that I should have chosen sports or something else istead of gaming, butthe problem is that I love gaming so much that I can't just give it up.
    Videogames taught me 90% of the English I know, taught me values that tv and books barely explained. They give me that thrill and excitement that a few other things provide. I love gaming, I love it. I owe games so much.
    One of the best things in the world is unboxing a brand new game and smelling the game manual.

But of course I'm kinda used to it, I just feel that I was born in the wrong country, you know. Anyway, games have taken a lot of my time, like an addiction, so I guess it's a drawback, I could have higher grades or be a little bit more athletic, spend more time outside with Mother Nature...but I guess all gamers have those problems.

As I said, things could be better, and I don't have everything I love, but I love everything I have.
    i think exactly what you said, and have the same problem, im from chile and the games cost like $70 and it sucks, less money in southamerica and all is more expensive >.<
    [Platinums: Infamous, Infamous 2, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Batman Arkham Asylum, Batman Arkham City, Rage, Catherine.]

]

Lvl 1 - Bronze

The only problems I have as a teenage gamer is just lack of cash, sucks to have to scrap up cash just to go out and buy a video game. My parent's would never say anything to me about a B- in any class.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Well, that sucks but I won't blame your mom for this either. Remember, real life comes before video games and when you'll get to play the game eventually, you're going to think that the anticipation was worth waiting to play this game.
    PS3Trophies - Member Since January 2010

Currently Playing: CoD 5 - World at War & Uncharted 2

Lvl 4 - Silver

I feel you I was grounded pretty much from the age of 12-18 because of grades etc graduated with a 3.5gpa and still managed to be grounded 90% of the time. In the end it was no big deal made playing games better. when I could play them. Now I'm graduated and poor and can't afford new games hooray our economy and being laid off. Basically you will live and eventually get to play the game so i wouldn't feel to bad.

Breakfast and Chill

if i was the parent i would give you a choice
    1) ground you for a month til you pick up your grades
    or
    2) let you play the game as much as you want but for everytime you play you get an ass whooping right after
    until you pick up on your grades

your call......
    I am NEVER moving in to your home.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Well, I've been a gamer since I have memory, ******. I've been told many times that I chose the wrong hobby, that I should have chosen sports or something else istead of gaming, butthe problem is that I love gaming so much that I can't just give it up.
    Videogames taught me 90% of the English I know, taught me values that tv and books barely explained. They give me that thrill and excitement that a few other things provide. I love gaming, I love it. I owe games so much.
    One of the best things in the world is unboxing a brand new game and smelling the game manual.

Anyway, games have taken a lot of my time, like an addiction, so I guess it's a drawback, I could have higher grades or be a little bit more athletic, spend more time outside with Mother Nature...but I guess all gamers have those problems.

As I said, things could be better, and I don't have everything I love, but I love everything I have.
    WOW! ( i don't mean the game, world of warcraft, i really mean wow)
    that piece was perfectly written. I feel the same as the words / lines i quoted from you.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by V-_ELITE_-V View Post
    Well, that sucks but I won't blame your mom for this either. Remember, real life comes before video games and when you'll get to play the game eventually, you're going to think that the anticipation was worth waiting to play this game.
    This is the truth, take that from a teenager with 20 years of experience....

Lvl 2 - Bronze

This just made me realize how lucky I am, my parents have never grounded me of interfered with my gaming.

Sig by dsluckay

Local Drunk

That sucks, I would only do something like that to my kids if they were getting f's. Only time my mum stopped me from playing games was when my brother's mate gave us a gameboy colour and she reckoned he shouldn't have and made us give it back. The other time I wasn't allowed to play games was when I got in trouble for wagging school and my brother took the power cord for PS2 with him to work so I couldn't play when I got home from school and didn't let me play it for a week or more.

Player Hater

When I read 'torturous life' in the title of this thread and then read the first post, I had to laugh. If this is as bad as your life gets, you're very lucky, my friend.
    My advice to any school-going gamer is to give up gaming til you finish. It is too good a hobby and far too addictive to have a good affect on how you tackle your schoolwork. I'm all for gaming responsibly if you can afford it, but I don't think gaming seriously and concentrating on your schoolwork goes hand in hand. I was a straight A student all the way up until Year 11, which coincidentally was the same time I started to game seriously. I barely passed Year 11 and didn't even make it a quarter of the way through year 12.
    I'm an intelligent individual. I have a great, well-playing job and have a great social life. Fucking up schooling due to my focus on gaming rather than homework has been a great regret I've had. I gave up a chance to attempt to forge a career in an industry I really cared about through study by playing every game I could get my hands on. That type of shit does have a big effect, so every job I've had to earn from scratch with nothing to my name, and that does prevent opportunities. Heed my advice, younguns. If you can game responsibility and get them grades, good on you. But don't ever forsake your education for a game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast