Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Valve: Piracy Is A Service issue

This is a discussion on Valve: Piracy Is A Service issue within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; https://torrentfreak.com/valve-pirac...-issue-111025/ Valve co-founder and managing director Gabe Newell has spoken out once again on the issue of piracy. Newell reiterates ...

INTJ

Valve: Piracy Is A Service issue

https://torrentfreak.com/valve-pirac...-issue-111025/

Valve co-founder and managing director Gabe Newell has spoken out once again on the issue of piracy.

Newell reiterates what he’s said on previous occasions. DRM doesn’t work and pirates are not per se after free stuff.

“One thing that we have learned is that piracy is not a pricing issue. It’s a service issue,” he says.

“The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates.”

“For example, Russia. You say, oh, we’re going to enter Russia, people say, you’re doomed, they’ll pirate everything in Russia. Russia now outside of Germany is our largest continental European market.”

Newell argues that instead of hurting legitimate customers with DRM, you have to give them something that’s superior to the pirated counterpart.

‘It doesn’t take much in terms of providing a better service to make pirates a non-issue,” Newell says.

TL;DR Give People a reason to buy it instead of pirate it. Don't do stupid shit like DRM or anything like that. it doesn't work.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    TL;DR Give People a reason to buy it instead of pirate it. Don't do stupid shit like DRM or anything like that. it doesn't work.
    Pirates are going to pirate, nothing is going to persuade them otherwise. DRM is in place because of piracy becoming such a huge issue. So of course it's going to hurt the real customer. We have pirating to blame for it. It's only going to get worse and worse.

Identity Overload

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Pirates are going to pirate, nothing is going to persuade them otherwise. DRM is in place because of piracy becoming such a huge issue. So of course it's going to hurt the real customer. We have pirating to blame for it. It's only going to get worse and worse.
    Pretty much, you can't stop piracy. However, this might sway some of those that pirate to not do it anymore.

Sig by Prosthetic | Platbar by In2 | Avatar by Alison

INTJ

Valve's Russia Story says otherwise.

Ghost Assassin

Really, can you elaborate? I haven't heard of this before.

The One and Only

Pirates gonna pirate

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 4 - Silver

Inb4 raeg.
    Last edited by AndroidFox; 10-29-2011 at 06:42 AM.

Lvl 5 - Silver

hm, intresting point of view
    PERFECT PLATINUM STREAK

Korean Girl Group Groupie

So piracy, which is just a nice buzz word for theft, or stealing, something that has existed forever. Something that you could argue is natural (animals do it to one another all the time with food, mates, and shelters) since everybody pretty much does it, is essentially going to be stopped if everybody does as Gabe Newell says and "providing a better service so pirates are a non-issue."

Yeah, I am not exactly going to go with your hero worship of Mr. Newell on this one. He's also starting to beat this "We succeeded in Russia when nobody else has, so we're beating piracy!" thing to the ground. People are going to steal, because they can - regardless of how awesome his service is and what he states, people are still stealing games in Russia, US, and every corner of this damn world, regardless of what "service" you throw in.

The technological pirate cat has been let out of the bag, and it isn't going to disappear any time soon. People are too well connected at this point via the internet, on a global scale that the forms of distribution are available to anybody with a few clicks. And it isn't exactly something that you're going to get exact figures of how many people actually have stolen games - since a lot of people know how to cover their tracks, and it's not exactly as if you're going to have figures on how many times a game has been illegally obtained across the board, not unless everybody who sits there and steals stands up and admits it to the world.

Gabe Newell should say instead of stopping piracy, that he has found ways to be profitable in various markets where piracy has been an issue by delivering a higher quality service, because that's what he is doing - not stopping piracy all together or turning it into a non-issue, because to everybody it will always be an issue.
    Last edited by Rubicant81; 10-26-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Piracy is pathetic but like many such pursuits it has people who believe they are fighting the system instead of being y'know, complete theiving bastards.

Say i own a cake shop, for example, and you come to my cake shop and look around,you shout and slobber about how i'm trying to screw you on the price of Eccles cake and storm off.
    Then, when i'm busy drawing trousers on Gingerbread Men with icing later that day, you swipe Some Eccles Cake! Then you tell others that you shouldn't pay for cake, just wait till that guy ain't looking and 'liberate' some,soon, i'm either out of buisness or in jail for killing a thief with a stale iced bun, all because you felt it was your right to get free cake.

Anyhow, enough cake talk, it's bad to steal, even if you hate what you are stealing (that's a whole other pot of stupid)
    And if you actually bother to correct or argue anything i just wrote, remember this, i used cake to make a half arsed analogy,it's clearly not worth arguing about.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBulletBill View Post
    And if every company delivered a higher quality service...? I'll let you work it out. (Spoiler: It would be a non-issue.)

Every entertainment provider should learn how to adapt to a free market, not rely on legal garble or "intellectual" property.
    No, it wouldn't if everybody offered the same service Valve/Steam did do you honestly expect it to stop completely? Thieves are still going to steal, regardless.

We can bitch all day about DRM's and how they fail, but since instituting them Capcom instituted them and guess what happened to a company that fiscal losses for the two years before that? They turned profit in the 2010 fiscal year. So what works for some people doesn't necessarily mean it will work for everybody, and despite the massive hate that Capcom has gotten this year for various things - they're still here because of DRM's protecting them a little bit more from thieves. But I'm guessing that the company that was losing money, should have just given more things away to make even less money in the process to stay afloat.

DRM's work to a degree, they often stop more people from game sharing than they deter people from buying the title (especially considering the majority of consumers don't even know what DRM is) so they work, to a certain degree, in stopping piracy to certain individuals.

I am willing to bet that this year with the introduction of the "online pass" also contributes to larger profit margins for companies, especially considering how it now generates revenue for people who have to play online, but insist upon buying used.

We can argue all day about how delivering an amazing service should stop piracy, but piracy is here to stay regardless of just about anything you do about it. The PlayStation Network is a service that is pretty damn amazing, and people still bitch excessively about it - and it's free.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

worlds biggest welch fan

pirate gunna pirate.
    Sig By Me

Mirrors Edge Platinum

Kiwi Defender

Even if your service is offering the best deals in existance, that won't stop people from downloading the games. Piracy can't be erradicated, regardless of what measures are taken by the developers.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Valve's Russia story says that providing a quality service will encourage more people to go the legitimate route than to go through the hassle of piracy, it does not say that none of their Russian market engages in piracy. There very well could be a strong percentage of piracy in that market, it just happens they are also doing well with legitimate business at the same time.

There will always be people who want to go the cheap route despite the difficulty.
    "I do not agree with a word you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."- Voltaire

The First Wrestling Platinum Grand Slam Winner on PS3Trophies.com

Trophy Checklist: http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/tr...-doghouse.html

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBulletBill View Post
    And if every company delivered a higher quality service...? I'll let you work it out. (Spoiler: It would be a non-issue.)

Every entertainment provider should learn how to adapt to a free market, not rely on legal garble or "intellectual" property.
    Lol. (spoiler: it'll still be a huge problem) Just look up the PSP for reference, even with Sony not taking action against homebrewers. Rubicant pretty much summed it all up nicely, but I'd like to comment on this one part.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    We can argue all day about how delivering an amazing service should stop piracy, but piracy is here to stay regardless of just about anything you do about it. The PlayStation Network is a service that is pretty damn amazing, and people still bitch excessively about it - and it's free.
    Spot on. Everyone complains about it left and right, yet love it when they get free games and shit. I don't know of any other service that gives out free stuff like this quite often. And if your PS+, it's pretty awesome now.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I don't pirate because of horrible service. I do it to get free games.

Gaming since PONG !

wait.... and all these years i been building this big ass boat in my back yard... so i could go pirating......
    Pirating : I'm doing it wrong!

Aperture Test Subject

By giving the consumer choice, ease of use, flexibility, all at a reasonable price, will generally net you a fair percentage of the people that would pirate as a result of not having one or more of the things mentioned. People pirate for different reasons, and we will NEVER get rid of it. But smart companies can still increase their income by understanding the need of the consumer. Valve do that VERY well.

As an example, being from the UK but living abroad, I like a lot of UK shows. I would give my left nut to be able to watch them online without having to resort to a torrent. BBC iPlayer (if and when they allow me to pay them for a service), will get my business in a heartbeat. However, right now they get jack shit! I know MANY people that feel this way, and these are the types of consumers that companies like Valve are going after, not the pirates that do it just because they can.

1000th Trophy | | Resistance 3 | Counter-Sniper | 10-Sep-2011

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by britinamerica View Post
    By giving the consumer choice, ease of use, flexibility, all at a reasonable price, will generally net you a fair percentage of the people that would pirate as a result of not having one or more of the things mentioned. People pirate for different reasons, and we will NEVER get rid of it. But smart companies can still increase their income by understanding the need of the consumer. Valve do that VERY well.

As an example, being from the UK but living abroad, I like a lot of UK shows. I would give my left nut to be able to watch them online without having to resort to a torrent. BBC iPlayer (if and when they allow me to pay them for a service), will get my business in a heartbeat. However, right now they get jack shit! I know MANY people that feel this way, and these are the types of consumers that companies like Valve are going after, not the pirates that do it just because they can.

Part of our tax goes towards the BBC, even if it is a tiny portion, the least they could do is some better fucking programmes though, right?

A lot of classic Britcoms have been uploaded on YouTube in full, as well as NickFromFulham's channel, which provides EVERY SINGLE Mock The Week, Qi, Would I Lie To You, and Never Mind The Buzzcocks episode in-all.

All in great quality too, you just can't get a better channel. Also, most of Channel 4's recent great shows are all featured on his channel now too :0

Peep Show, IT Crowd, Mighty Boosh etc.

PRO Member

I believe the quoted material is absolutely correct, the only thing that stops piracy is the fact that people cant yet use modded eqipment to play online so obviously online play has more attraction then just offline play so people either a have one console for each or b) actually just buy there games I believe hes 100% correct

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast