Controller presses buttons randomly

This is a discussion on Controller presses buttons randomly within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Pretty much what the title says, for all of a sudden whenever I turn my controller on, it presses buttons ...

PRO Member

Controller presses buttons randomly

Pretty much what the title says, for all of a sudden whenever I turn my controller on, it presses buttons randomly. When I go to press X, circle, triangle, square, etc it just doesn't work, sometimes when i press triangle it will react very late (about 3-10 seconds). I've tried using another controller to check if it's the PS3, and it isn't, I've tried resetting both the PS3 and the controller, both unsuccessful, and I'm currently trying to crack the damn thing open, but the screws are tightened like a freaking vault. I'd use my second controller, but it's got sticky buttons at the moment. Any thoughts on how I can get it to work again?
    "I'll stop at nothing to avoid using negative numbers. "
    Many thanks to Athena for the awesome sig and avy!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Have you dropped your controller or anything? It's possible the board inside has cracked and the buttons have a harder time reaching. There could be a little piece of something in there randomly pushing the button as you move. I'm not really sure that is the best I could come up with lol :p

The One and Only

I don't know how to help you, except maybe bang th controller once of twice to see if it'll fix anything. You don't got much to lose anyway.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Ghost Assassin

First of all, did you drop it? If not, then have you dropped it before? How many times? (If applicable) Maybe the button sensors are faulty or if you have dropped it before, something inside broke. The only way to find out is to open up the controller using careful instructions unless it resolves itself.

Huge Gaming Backlog

How old is it? Can you take it or send it back to where you got it from for a replacement. Depends on where you are I would say buy another one but where I am I can pay up to $90 for a controller so like you I would be opening it up and trying to fix it mysef. I have opened them up before and you can see a fair bit but getting to where the buttons are might take a bit more work.

Kiwi Defender

You won't be able to know for sure what's going on until you open it, so I suggest you to do that (be very careful, though, for you might break something). After opening it, try cleaning the buttons. If that doesn't work, then the controller's circuits are screwed.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Dread View Post
    Pretty much what the title says, for all of a sudden whenever I turn my controller on, it presses buttons randomly. When I go to press X, circle, triangle, square, etc it just doesn't work, sometimes when i press triangle it will react very late (about 3-10 seconds). I've tried using another controller to check if it's the PS3, and it isn't, I've tried resetting both the PS3 and the controller, both unsuccessful, and I'm currently trying to crack the damn thing open, but the screws are tightened like a freaking vault. I'd use my second controller, but it's got sticky buttons at the moment. Any thoughts on how I can get it to work again?
    your controller is haunted perform an exorcism to avoid dissapointment

Lvl 1 - Bronze

It has some internal problem, probably you've dropped it, two controllers in a PS3 center near my house have the same problem, and I've broken one of them when I got defeated on PES 2010 by my friend lol Buy a new controller mate...