Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

IGN Lies About PixelJunk Sidescroller, Attempts to cover it up

This is a discussion on IGN Lies About PixelJunk Sidescroller, Attempts to cover it up within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Ive never had any problems with IGN..but now that i know that they can be unreliable i'll definitely look deeper ...

  1. #21
    Lvl 4 - Silver
    Zombie-4's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    253
    Reputation
    2

    Ive never had any problems with IGN..but now that i know that they can be unreliable i'll definitely look deeper into other game reviews.

  2. #22
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by D1mech View Post
    Well, beleive it or not I usually buy games according to their reviews from IGN, GameSpot, etc... If the game gets a 7+, it's usually a great game and I've never been fooled.

    But, yea, this guy made a mistake and now he won't admit it. Doesn't mean EVERY other reviewer rushes his games and rates games 'carelessly'.

    God Hand - PS2 - IGN


    it's totally a terrible game right

  3. #23
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    SDevourer's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    8
    Reputation
    0

    maybe i'm missing something, but he changed like, what, a sentence? the game still sits at a 6.5, the core of the review is still there, what am i missing?

  4. #24
    Player Hater
    DJ_Keyser's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Oztraylia
    Posts
    534
    Reputation
    38

    Quote Originally Posted by SDevourer View Post
    maybe i'm missing something, but he changed like, what, a sentence? the game still sits at a 6.5, the core of the review is still there, what am i missing?
    How would you feel as a student if your teacher critiqued your work without reading the whole assignment?
    How would you feel as an employee if you're boss walked out of a meeting before you had finished talking?
    The point being that this reviewer brushed over the game, deeming it worthy of a casual playthrough and not much more. He basically stated the package was lightweight, but he himself did not invest any time or effort into it. Developers deserve better than this. IGN reviews are fucked. Who trusts a reviews site that places as much emphasise on IOS games as it does genuine releases?
    Having said that, I haven't played this game and haven't been that much of a fan of PixelJunk's work... So the reviewer could be right.

  5. #25
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    shaolinsword's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    122
    Reputation
    0

    I gave up with IGN after reading the incredibly biased review for Sengoku Basara but their news is still good

    Prometheus stole fire from Zeus, I'm stealing his thunder

  6. #26
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    Quote Originally Posted by Curb View Post
    But that's irrelevant, and perhaps too idealistic. Reality is that yeah, there's isn't much nowadays in terms of 'honest media', but there is some. I promise.
    I agree with you here I will say, its just that there really isn't any in national media.

    But yes, I should have said is there such thing as good journalism in the national media. Problem is just at that level it is so much about ratings that they will do whatever they can to get people to watch.

    There are some good voices though, funny enough most of it is in blogs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    God Hand - PS2 - IGN


    it's totally a terrible game right
    Youre making a classic logic error, he is saying if the game gets a 7+ its usually a great game... That doesn't imply that if it doesn't get a 7+ its not a good game.

    If A implies B
    , that does not mean that not A implies not B.

    For someone who claims +10 logic when equipped, that is a pretty elementary mistake.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Keyser View Post
    How would you feel as a student if your teacher critiqued your work without reading the whole assignment?
    How would you feel as an employee if you're boss walked out of a meeting before you had finished talking?
    Those are concrete things though, objective assessments or concrete things. A reviewer is giving an opinion, a critique on an experience.

    It goes back to what I was saying, at a certain point in time additional information (for a subjective viewpoint) becomes irrelevant to the overall conclusion.

    Now there is no concrete point that exists, so I'm not saying this IGN reviewer did a bang-on job, but let me extend your argument out a bit and you'll see my point.

    For games with multiplayer, at what point in time did you actually complete it? When you capped your level? But wait, its multiplayer so other people are crucial to the experience, so shouldn't you stay your opinion until you've played with everybody who will play the game?

    Or what if we take to to food... You take one bite of a pizza, it takes fucking awful. Do you have to finish the pizza before you formulate an opinion?

    Well obviously not because, while thats important to a complete experience, the complete experience is not necessarily relevant to your overall opinion of something.

    The fact that the game has a different ending on Hard is only relevant if that ending fundamentally changes the experience, I would argue that given the meat of the review it does not. An extra level is not going to drastically change the critique he had because nowhere in there is the criticism directed at the lack of existence of that.

    Again, this is not a concrete process. Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't. The point at which you have a legitimate opinion varies from thing to thing. My only point is stating that you need some complete representation to formulate an objective assessment is not true.

    IGN is losing credibility in that they bowed down to the developer, thus proving they have no integrity in their reviews. It shows to me that they try to hide things too, which further builds on their lack of integrity.

    If the guy didn't play on normal or hard or whatever, just be honest and say "I didn't, because its irrelevant to my assessment. I played the game as I normally would have and wrote a crtique based on my experience."

    Its your opinion, have a backbone and stand behind it. I don't beat every game on every difficulty before I wrire a review, and I wouldn't expect anybody in the entire world to do so before they formulate their opinion on a game (regardless of whether they are writing a review or not).

    Heck, I don't even fault him if he didn't beat a game, so long as he says he did and explains why. Reviews are about transparency of your thought process and your opinions...
    Last edited by Gauss; 10-28-2011 at 09:45 AM.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  7. #27
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    Sieghardt's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19
    Reputation
    0

    Uh Gauss the problem here is not about opinions on what is good and bad, it's about lying and changing the review content without making any note as such to cover up the fact he lied

    also you're citing a logical fallacy incorrectly, did you even read the review he linked to or did you just comment without reading it? I'm guessing the latter which says it all really

  8. #28
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    Quote Originally Posted by Sieghardt View Post
    Uh Gauss the problem here is not about opinions on what is good and bad, it's about lying and changing the review content without making any note as such to cover up the fact he lied
    Um, did you read my post? Thats my point... Where in there do I call out IGN as saying this about opinions on good/bad? My exact criticism was that he changed his opinion, he lied, he hid things.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sieghardt View Post
    also you're citing a logical fallacy incorrectly, did you even read the review he linked to or did you just comment without reading it? I'm guessing the latter which says it all really
    This made my head hurt a bit... How did I cite the logical fallacy incorrectly?

    The actual content of the review is completely irrelevant to the point of that reply, it was all about the score.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  9. #29
    #cutformesa
    Curb's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Faust
    Posts
    629
    Reputation
    117

    Quote Originally Posted by Sieghardt View Post
    Uh Gauss the problem here is not about opinions on what is good and bad, it's about lying and changing the review content without making any note as such to cover up the fact he lied

    also you're citing a logical fallacy incorrectly, did you even read the review he linked to or did you just comment without reading it? I'm guessing the latter which says it all really


    Don't accuse someone else of not reading when you clearly haven't been following the conversation yourself. It just makes you look ignorant as hell, and throwing in phrases like 'logical fallacies' does not help you out all that much - by using them incorrectly, you just dig yourself further into a hole.




    Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.


    SERBIA STRONG

    Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

  10. #30
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Sieghardt View Post
    Uh Gauss the problem here is not about opinions on what is good and bad, it's about lying and changing the review content without making any note as such to cover up the fact he lied

    also you're citing a logical fallacy incorrectly, did you even read the review he linked to or did you just comment without reading it? I'm guessing the latter which says it all really
    Reading this actually made me wonder if you even read the review... He didn't lie, or cover up any lie. He changed 1 sentence to please a rampaging developer because the score the game received was not to his liking. If I was to give it a score, it would of been much lower because I tend to think 1 being the worst, 5 being a average game, and 10 being the perfect game... I'd probably give it a 3-4, because the creativity in this game is extremely lacking. Kinda like Nintendo's way of thinking with a lot of LoZ's and Marios. Since it was a Pixel Junk game I guess the dev figured it'd be a easy 8+ score.

  11. #31
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    Sieghardt's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19
    Reputation
    0

    This made my head hurt a bit... How did I cite the logical fallacy incorrectly?
    you're making the argument that PS360 is saying IGN think God Hand is terrible because they didnt give it 7+
    he's actually making the argument that they said it was terrible...because they said it was terrible. Maybe you're confused and think I or even he was talking about the Pixeljunk shooter review

    Don't accuse someone else of not reading when you clearly haven't been following the conversation yourself. It just makes you look ignorant as hell, and throwing in phrases like 'logical fallacies' does not help you out all that much - by using them incorrectly, you just dig yourself further into a hole.
    The irony in this post is pretty mindblowing, I only mentioned logical fallacies because the person you're jumping in to defend cited one to try to dismiss someone he disagreed with.

    Reading this actually made me wonder if you even read the review... He didn't lie, or cover up any lie. He changed 1 sentence to please a rampaging developer because the score the game received was not to his liking. If I was to give it a score, it would of been much lower because I tend to think 1 being the worst, 5 being a average game, and 10 being the perfect game... I'd probably give it a 3-4, because the creativity in this game is extremely lacking. Kinda like Nintendo's way of thinking with a lot of LoZ's and Marios. Since it was a Pixel Junk game I guess the dev figured it'd be a easy 8+ score.
    how did he not lie? he stated the game kicks you back to the title screen with nothing more when you beat it. he then stated he completed it on normal, these are not compatible statements.
    if you clear it on normal it does not simply say congratulations and kick you back to the title screen
    either:
    a: he completed it on casual and got the congratulations and he lied about completing it on normal
    or
    b: he completed it on normal and got the ending and lied about it simply kicking you back to the title screen

  12. #32
    Quartercircle Forward.
    D1mech's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    760
    Reputation
    102

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    God Hand - PS2 - IGN


    it's totally a terrible game right
    I never played God Hand 2, so I can't judge. Also, game reviewers do sometimes give games the wrong score, after all it's just their opinion on the game. I was just stating that if a game gets a 7+, it' usually a great game.

    Sigs & Beyond [Requests].
    Want a Sig/Banner/Avatar? Click here!

    Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

    deviantART
    Awesome Sig Gifted by Prosthetic. Epic avatar by Kid420247.

    -My Soul Calibur V Match Thread!-

  13. #33
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    Jambalaya's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    104
    Reputation
    0

    Just popped in to say I find it absolutely hilarious that people use the whole 'IGN is owned by NewsCorp' line, really funny stuff.

    Anyways I must admit I do check IGN's reviews from time to time, more out of curiosity than anything else. It's not the best of sites though as there usually pretty late on the scene when it comes to actual news, and jesus christ have you seen the comments on their articles? One of the worst communities I've ever seen! With regards to this review, I agree with the guy above who said this revelation of the different ending did not really affect the bulk of the review. Also, the writer has given his reasons for changing the review in that blog post.

    P.S. I truly believe that video game reviews should NOT come with a number on the end. The review should be about the paragraph upon paragraph of analysis of the pros and cons of the game, not a frankly arbitrary number at the end. The way fanboys argue over that arbitrary number is ridiculous.

  14. #34
    PRO Member
    thedevilsminion's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Prince Edward Island Canada
    Posts
    353
    Reputation
    8

    If you want to argue sites like IGN and Gamestop are trying to review to please their customer base, thats fine. The thought IGN is getting cash for giving every Activision title a high score? Thats a fucking joke.



    Well its not really a joke, just cause someone dosen't have direct proof you can use circumstantial evidence to come to a conclussion. He has shown that IGN has been caught lying about a review or at the very least did such a poor job he missed the fact that he didnt actually complete the whole game. Then he showed his idea of evidence by the continual good scores of the games in question without any meat in the review saying why the game should get this score.

    I believe its quite possible there could be agreements between IGN and activision, wether it be cash or whatever other incentives they could offer to compensate for a good review,


  15. #35
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Sieghardt View Post
    how did he not lie? he stated the game kicks you back to the title screen with nothing more when you beat it. he then stated he completed it on normal, these are not compatible statements.
    if you clear it on normal it does not simply say congratulations and kick you back to the title screen
    either:
    a: he completed it on casual and got the congratulations and he lied about completing it on normal
    or
    b: he completed it on normal and got the ending and lied about it simply kicking you back to the title screen
    The "ending" is a joke. A 45 second clip of something stupid, then kicks you back to the title screen. He could of accidently skipped the "ending" but it's nothing to write home about or worth a mention.
    Last edited by Minarum; 10-31-2011 at 04:25 PM.

  16. #36
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    The_Tonto's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    578
    Reputation
    22

    I only check IGN occasionally for Gaming News, I don't really read their reviews either, I prefer to go to Blistered thumbs or better yet PS3trophies to read up on games.

    Also playing on casual? who plays games on casual and then bases a review on it? I know I personally never wrote a review for a game I hadn't platted and played on Hardest difficulty. Anyways IGN is still good for their news at least but before buying a game I'd recommend checking a few sources of info instead of just 1. It always pays to be cautious when buying games you're uncertain of.

    Awesome Sig by TheGeneral09
    My Awesome Checklist

  17. #37
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    Quote Originally Posted by Sieghardt View Post
    you're making the argument that PS360 is saying IGN think God Hand is terrible because they didnt give it 7+
    he's actually making the argument that they said it was terrible...because they said it was terrible. Maybe you're confused and think I or even he was talking about the Pixeljunk shooter review
    Um, no... How does the PJSS review factor into this at all? He linked the God Hand review, and that was the part I replied to. I don't think I am the one who is confused.

    I thought it was pretty obvious, D1 says makes a point about IGN saying if they give a game a 7+ it tends to be pretty good.

    PS360 replied with a game that is considered good by the gaming community at large (Metacritic has a 7+ for its average), that was reviewed very poorly by IGN. He using the negative of D1's statement as an attempt to discredit D1's statement (this is obviously by the link provided and the obvious sarcastic quip that followed).

    Problem is, and why its an error, is the presumption of truth of one statement doesn't mean its negative has to hold too... If you read the two links I gave it explains it very well.

    If A implies B (in this case, a score on IGN of 7+ means the game is good), that does not mean not A implies not B (in this case, a score on IGN of less than 7 means the game is bad).

    Usually, to make these easier to understand, I like boiling them down to simplier terms. Lets take something that is more obviously true and not a subjective statement.

    If someone permanently resides in France, they speak French. Thats obviously true, French is the official language of France.

    Now, that statement does not imply the negative of that statement: If someone does not reside in France, they don't speak French. This, obviously, is not true. Many people in Canada, for example, speak French.

    This is my point about the logical fallacy, the first statement's truth has nothing to do with its negative's truth. One does not imply the other.

    Its important to note that I am saying they don't imply each-other. Its possible for both of them to be true, or both of them to be false too. Its just that they have nothing to do with each-other.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  18. #38
    Cal
    Cal is offline
    Lvl 2 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    80
    Reputation
    0

    i used to type in ign to find reviews, but over the past months ive seen such shit pile up on this site that now i just go to wiki's (including gamefaqs) instead.
    Going to the Chapel, Gonna Get Married.

  19. #39
    The One and Only
    DaRe_xLw's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Inglewood, CA
    Posts
    5,332
    Reputation
    493

    and IGNorance is at it again ladies and gents


    Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

    DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

    Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

    DareCity701
    My dA account.

    My YouTube Channel

    Please subscribe today!

    Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

  20. #40
    Get bent...
    Twitch's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    959
    Reputation
    80

    This is why I never listen to any critics of ANY medium. Ever. Period.

    I am my own critic.

    I like stuff because I like it, not because some other moron likes it and thinks I will too.

    Whether my opinions on games, movies, music, etc. jives with other peoples' opinions doesn't matter to me in the slightest.

    That's why I have a tendency to play alot of random games sometimes. If I end up not liking/hating a game, I'll either return it, sell it, or throw it in the trash.
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

    Formerly known as Tyrion619

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO