Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

IGN Lies About PixelJunk Sidescroller, Attempts to cover it up

This is a discussion on IGN Lies About PixelJunk Sidescroller, Attempts to cover it up within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Ign Said the game was a 6.5 out of 10 read the edited version here: PixelJunk SideScroller Review - PlayStation ...

  1. #1
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    IGN Lies About PixelJunk Sidescroller, Attempts to cover it up

    Ign Said the game was a 6.5 out of 10

    read the edited version here:

    PixelJunk SideScroller Review - PlayStation 3 Review at IGN


    before it had a little bit more content on how the ending was terribly short. The problem is the ending he got only happens when you play on casual mode, not normal mode or higher (Not to mention they rushed a playthough.)


    Pixel junk dev noticed this and went to complain







    Then That part of the review magically vanished for no reason




    Before and after:




    The IGN Reviewer's Response:
    Concerning My PixelJunk SideScroller Review - daemon-IGN: Blog - IGN

    just more evidence to pile on the why you shouldn't listen to game critics list (Except for the Very Trusted few that you know are 100% Genuine reviewers. not today's Pay-for-a-review type sites that are out there today. Edge and RPS are good examples. Famitsu if you can actually read Japanese.)




    Also another reminder that IGN Is also owned by News Corp, Known for having the worst journalism known to mankind (Fox News, The Massive Scandal in the UK involving Cellphones and hacking them, etc.)

  2. #2
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    Cpt-Redding's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Durobrivae
    Posts
    405
    Reputation
    10

    To be quite fair who ever believes IGN reviews? phone hacking scandal that was a fun week

  3. #3
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    black__bunny's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    560
    Reputation
    18

    Meh its IGN, ive learned not to expect anything from them


    Uncharted | Ratchet & Clank: aCiT | Uncharted 2 | Heavy Rain | CoD:WaW | Prince of Persia | Resident Evil 5 | Darksiders | Prince of Persia: tFS Assassins Creed 2 | LittleBigPlanet | Modern Warfare 2 | Uncharted 3 | Enslaved: OttW | Battlefield: BC2 | God of War I & II | Mafia II
    NFS: Hot Pursuit | Resistance 2 | Tekken 6 | Bioshock | Star Wars: tFU | Mass Effect | Portal 2 | God of War: CoO & GoS | Tomb Raider

  4. #4
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    CapnKoala's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    A Place with Things
    Posts
    163
    Reputation
    12

    Yeah, I've been playing through the game on normal and it's pretty tough. There's no way he beat the game "in minutes".

    Though in his defense it's possible he didn't know he was playing on casual. If you choose to continue after losing all your lives, the game reverts to casual difficulty. It says that on the continue screen, but he might have missed it. The natural instinct is to just hit [YES] immediately when the game asks you to continue. That said, it's his job as a reviewer to see those things!

    I actually just think it was an honest mistake... but he still hasn't realized it. I've listened to Daemon on podcasts for nearly 3 years and I follow him on Twitter. He can be kind of douche-y sometimes, but I don't believe he would compromise his integrity on a review like this one. He loves PixelJunk games and sidescroller shooters.

    Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!

  5. #5
    The only sane person here
    KingLazy's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,222
    Reputation
    25

    To tell the truth Edge's reviews can be unfair at times which makes me trust them less

  6. #6
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    just more evidence to pile on the why you shouldn't listen to game critics list (Except for the Very Trusted few that you know are 100% Genuine reviewers. not today's Pay-for-a-review type sites that are out there today. Edge and RPS are good examples. Famitsu if you can actually read Japanese.)

    Also another reminder that IGN Is also owned by News Corp, Known for having the worst journalism known to mankind (Fox News, The Massive Scandal in the UK involving Cellphones and hacking them, etc.)
    Ehh, I wouldn't trust a reviewer anyways no matter where they come from. Unless it's a clone of myself, how are they going to know what I like and dislike in a game and etc? Besides; Pics, gameplay clips, and a list of features is all I need to determine if it's going to be a good game for me or not. And wow, don't start on politics as you have already proven yourself to not know a damn thing about it. But anyways...

    Has anyone actually beaten the game on casual and Normal to confirm what this dev or writer are saying? I've got bigger games to fry before I play PJSS. I guess I can check out youtube clips if people have done it. But otherwise, this IS IGN were talking about.

  7. #7
    Fight the Future
    Parker's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Wind Squid Pub
    Posts
    836
    Reputation
    64

    Meh, the only reviewer I trust is Mark from Classic Game Room. He actually plays the games he reviews thoroughly and instead of putting a stupid ass number at the end of his review he shows you gameplay, talks about the game and lets you make the decision for yourself if you want to but it. That's the way reviews should be handled, people get way too worked up over numbers.


    Parker



  8. #8
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    chibuki's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Magnolia, Fiore
    Posts
    125
    Reputation
    0

    Very pathetic. I always knew IGN have little credibility when it comes to game reviews but what do you have to say after getting caught like that?

    my latest anime updates

  9. #9
    PRO Member
    ChrisValentine's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Blackpool, UK
    Posts
    1,311
    Reputation
    237

    Meh, if a game looks good. I'll buy it. If it turns out to be shit, meh... it's my fault.
    I'd rather try a game and hate it, than not try a game because of reviews and find out I'd have loved it


  10. #10
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    This is a great example as to why people take reviews too seriously, and why being a critic is inherenly an impossible dilemma. You got people, like half of this thread, who have unreasonable expectations to the point of being almost laughable.

    Meanwhile you're expected to assess a completely subjective and relatively complex opinion down to a simple score that is somehow supposed to be verifiable with other people and their objective assessment of their subjective opinion.

    The very notion that this is repeatable and accountable is logically equivalent to expecting a verifiable process to assessing how good a color is or how clothing looks.

    Its all subjective, thats the point, the need for a critique of this is not in its repeatability or its attempt at objectivity. The need and power of critique comes in the fact that it provides a very real, human account of something (supposed to atleast, I have my questions about IGN). It provides a thought process, a logical analysis of things that come strictly through feeling. Reviews are about the wording, not the score.

    The reality is there was nothing wrong with this man's review... Until he gave into pressure and changed it. Thus validating something I've felt all along: IGN writes reviews trying to please the masses rather than trying to stand up and give a fucking honest analysis. Its why mediocre garbage like CoDs seem to always get 9s and 10s, and the actual analysis seems devoid of any legitimate criticism of structure, pacing, tone, length, etc.

    Nothing against this developer, but his assessment of the review is irrelevant. How would an extra level help address depth of gameplay? Or the lack of any engaging elements (other than the visuals) that haven't been seen a thousand times before? And if it did, its almost a detractor of the game that its weighted so poorly rather than having a nice spread of gameplay development or visual elements.

    An extra level, OH MY FUCKING GOD! STOP THE PRESSES!

    The reality is this developer got all bent out of shape and levied one irrelevant criticism at him to hide the fact PJSS is the worst outing for such a creative company in a long, long time. It lacks the depth, impact, and (honestly) quality that the previous Shooter titles did.

    Lastly, PS360, I'm going to say this one last time... Where is your proof reviews are being paid for? The fact you claim garbage like all these sites having their reviews bought and don't have a shred of evidence of such a grand consipiracy in and of itself is evidence the notion is illogical and false.

    If you want to argue sites like IGN and Gamestop are trying to review to please their customer base, thats fine. The thought IGN is getting cash for giving every Activision title a high score? Thats a fucking joke.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Also another reminder that IGN Is also owned by News Corp, Known for having the worst journalism known to mankind (Fox News, The Massive Scandal in the UK involving Cellphones and hacking them, etc.)
    Is there such thing as good journalism?

    Its all one giant pile of garbage with no ethical boundaries or qualities. There is no accountability or logic associated with any of it.

    CNN, Fox, MSNBC... Its all different colored versions of the same lies and propaganda.

    It used to be you could still get reliable data and information in science journals, but even that has slowly been changing as various research organization's political motives have started seeping in... Cancer research and smoking are a great example of articles that will undoubtedly feature cherry picked data, to the point where reading them is a waste of time.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  11. #11
    PRO Member
    ChrisValentine's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Blackpool, UK
    Posts
    1,311
    Reputation
    237

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    99% of what Gauss just said
    This is why the Rep should be back


  12. #12
    PRO Member
    SebastianOwl's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Best Coast
    Posts
    285
    Reputation
    18

    IGN is a silly place, only 12 year olds, fanboys, and morons take them seriously. I do like the guy who does some of the TV reviews, I forget his name, but I really liked his Game of Thrones coverage.


  13. #13
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Nothing against this developer, but his assessment of the review is irrelevant. How would an extra level help address depth of gameplay? Or the lack of any engaging elements (other than the visuals) that haven't been seen a thousand times before? And if it did, its almost a detractor of the game that its weighted so poorly rather than having a nice spread of gameplay development or visual elements.

    An extra level, OH MY FUCKING GOD! STOP THE PRESSES!

    The reality is this developer got all bent out of shape and levied one irrelevant criticism at him to hide the fact PJSS is the worst outing for such a creative company in a long, long time. It lacks the depth, impact, and (honestly) quality that the previous Shooter titles did.
    Just saw a ending clip of the game on Normal. I actually have to agree with the writer on his original stance and agree that the developer just got bent out of shape over the number. Granted I already figured this game would score low anyways due to the lack of depth as you explained. I just figured there might of been something extra like the dev was explaining and there isn't. The dev is in the wrong.

  14. #14
    #cutformesa
    Curb's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Faust
    Posts
    629
    Reputation
    117

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Is there such thing as good journalism?

    Its all one giant pile of garbage with no ethical boundaries or qualities. There is no accountability or logic associated with any of it.

    CNN, Fox, MSNBC... Its all different colored versions of the same lies and propaganda.

    It used to be you could still get reliable data and information in science journals, but even that has slowly been changing as various research organization's political motives have started seeping in... Cancer research and smoking are a great example of articles that will undoubtedly feature cherry picked data, to the point where reading them is a waste of time.
    I agree with everything you posted about the subjectivity of being a critic in general, so most of this is an off-topic response to that little bit you tacked on at the end. I have to disagree - there are plenty of excellent voices out there in journalism still today, although I'm not saying by any means there are many of them. It's true that most outlets are influences by either conservative or progressive ideologies and that we are subjected to a lot of spin from the modern media, but by no means does that preclude any journalism alive today. There are some who remain free of bias, and even ones who are biased - the job falls to the reader to sift through the spin and bias by not limiting where you get your news.

    Although, all of that being said, many people do get their news from sources that provide little but spin and opinion, and yet they take that as hard fact. The problem doesn't lie with the giants like News Corp.; the problem lies with people who are too sedentary to care about what they're taking in and allow these biased, ruthless media giants to grow out of proportion.

    But that's irrelevant, and perhaps too idealistic. Reality is that yeah, there's isn't much nowadays in terms of 'honest media', but there is some. I promise.




    Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.


    SERBIA STRONG

    Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

  15. #15
    Lvl 8 - Gold
    Deth's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Hill 137
    Posts
    816
    Reputation
    34

    What do you expect? You can't spell 'ignorant' without IGN.


  16. #16
    Platinum Procrastinator
    Denaratuck's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Posts
    3,081
    Reputation
    159

    I have to laugh at articles like this and the people who point them out for reasons that Gauss already stated. This is one guys opinion on the game whose already a pretty big fan of the Pixel Junk series. However, I believe the developer is in the wrong here like Minarum said. He commented on the review just 2 hours after it was posted so I believe he was waiting for it to see the score it received. Also like Gauss said, it was only one extra level and and I don't think that would really change the outcome of the score.

    People like to bash on IGN and I think a big part of that is because they are so popular. If they weren't so well known they wouldn't attract a lot of the people they do. For instance, they received a lot of flack for giving Batman Arkham City a 9.5 instead of a 10, and this was from people who never even played the game before. Like a lot of people, I visit different sites to see what score a game receives. However, I don't bash the people who review the game if I don't agree with it. I just use it as a benchmark to see if the game is worth my time.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

  17. #17
    Huge Gaming Backlog
    Reiner's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    STRAYA
    Posts
    775
    Reputation
    10

    Wow. I didnt know IGN was so unliked. Everytime I want to see a review on a game I look them up on YouTube. They have always been pretty spot on with the games I have bought.




  18. #18
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    swishbig's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    108
    Reputation
    0

    Since when was IGN even a site to consider going for reviews/news?

  19. #19
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    travey_2face's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    24
    Reputation
    0

    I have come to realize you and i frequent the same parts of the internets PS360.

  20. #20
    Quartercircle Forward.
    D1mech's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    760
    Reputation
    102

    Well, beleive it or not I usually buy games according to their reviews from IGN, GameSpot, etc... If the game gets a 7+, it's usually a great game and I've never been fooled.

    But, yea, this guy made a mistake and now he won't admit it. Doesn't mean EVERY other reviewer rushes his games and rates games 'carelessly'.

    Sigs & Beyond [Requests].
    Want a Sig/Banner/Avatar? Click here!

    Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

    deviantART
    Awesome Sig Gifted by Prosthetic. Epic avatar by Kid420247.

    -My Soul Calibur V Match Thread!-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO