[Need Help] Bought a new PS3

This is a discussion on [Need Help] Bought a new PS3 within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hey guys, recently my old PS3 Fat broke and since it wasnt the frist time i decided to buy a ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

[Need Help] Bought a new PS3

Hey guys, recently my old PS3 Fat broke and since it wasnt the frist time i decided to buy a new one.

Heres the problem, when it broke i removed the hard drive on it so i could put it in my new PS3, the thing is I bought it today and the frist thing i did was replace the hard drive, but now it says that I have to get the hard drive formated and need to plug a USB stick with the new update...

My fear is that once i plug the USB stick it will install the update and erase all my data, is the ps3 gonna erase all my data after the update ??

Lvl 6 - Silver

ummmmm... i dont think so. but im nt good wit replacn hrd drves
    I still play Black Ops because me and brother have 2 PS3's and share a copy of Modern Warfare 3. So that is why I play it sometimes. Thats the *ONLY* time I play Black Ops! When brother is not playing MW3, I am!

PRO Member

If it formats your HDD, then you will lose all data on it. I have no idea what to tell you to get your data. Can you get your old FAT PS3 running long enough to make a full backup? That may be your only option. Sorry, that sucks.
    Last edited by bmj14772; 10-28-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Lvl 6 - Silver

yep you have to backup your data to an external HDD first, if your old PS3 is broken i'm afraid you're screwed, there is no way to get your data back cos as soon as you try and put the old HDD in a different PS3 it will ask you to format, sorry there's no way round it.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Your gonna lose all your data either way you slice it
    Sorry but your gonna have to let it go
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 3 - Bronze

The only things you will really lose are all your games saves type of stuff and any movies you had on the system. All of your trophies will re-sync and all of your PSN games are redownloadable. So you will only lose "half" of your stuff.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

usually when it is being formatted it is being wiped so yes. there is a feature on the ps3 where you can transfer all the old data on your old ps3 to your new one. its in the settings menu. but if you have already put info on your new ps3 the iinfo will be deleted and replaced by the info from the old ps3. if you put the hard drives back into the respected ps3s and get the broken one to turn on you can fix your problem. her is a video to help you figure it out. this is what i did.