PS3 hard drive space issue

This is a discussion on PS3 hard drive space issue within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; It appears the time has come that I finally ran out of space for games on my PS3. I've deleted ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

PS3 hard drive space issue

It appears the time has come that I finally ran out of space for games on my PS3. I've deleted everything I'm willing to get rid of and I can't load another game. I was told to just buy a 1TB drive and watch youtube videos on how to install. The problem is I'm confused which drive to buy. Does anyone have any recommendations? Does Sony allow external hard drive saves or does it have to be an internal one?

Thanks in advance! I don't want to buy the wrong thing or break my system.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I don't know what size your HDD currently is.. but IMO 1tb for a ps3 is too much. When I bought my PS4 I bought a 1tb drive, swapped it with the 500gb in the PS4 and stuck the 500gb in the PS3. I have every free PS+ ever given installed, plus every physical games I own installed on that HDD and I still have plenty of space left. Swapping the drives is very easy and there is not a lot you can mess up, since you don't really need to crack the console open. (I've done it on the fat and slim only, not sure how it works with the one that slides to put discs in). For the HDD picking part.. I'm not neutral on this question. I'll be honest I hate Seagate (too many issues with them in the past, it's the only brand of HDD I've seen fail or go out in smoke). I would go with a WD. Don't go with a green since there is power saving options built in the HDD. My suggestion is a WD blue. Never go over 5400rpm. WD Black might be interesintg but I'm pretty sure they only do 7200RPM in 2.5". The issue with higher RPM is the heat it produces. If money is no object you might want to put in a SSD in your aging console to make it faster as well.

Amazon.com: WD Blue 500GB Mobile Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 7.0 MM 2.5 Inch - WD5000LPVX: Computers & Accessories

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...n%3A4990425011

Sony allows to backup saves on a external drive. I might be wrong on this, but I'm quite sure you have to copy them on your console to be able to access them with your game. The extrenal drive is for backups only. Don't worry too much about the swap part, it`s pretty straight foward. On PS3 fat, when you are facing the PS3, locate a trap door on the left, if I remember correctly the is no screw for the door so just pry it open gently. I think there is another screw inside you need to remove before you are able to pull out the little tray with the HDD on. Replace the HDD in the tray and put it back. For the slim, you need to flip the console, on the same side as the BR player there will be a small trap door, use a small screw driver to open it, unscrew you should be able to remove the corner under the BR by sliding it, and access the HDD tray. Make sure to backup everything before swapping the HDD. I mean saved games and game data if you don't want to download everything again. Make sure you have a USB stick with the latest firmware on it (follow instructions on sony website, it had to be in a certain place on the stick). I'm pretty sure watching a Youtube video would help, since my explanation isn't that great. Hope this will help

Cops vs Robbers Rangers??

I couldn't say it better myself, I personally swaped out my 320 from my slim and stuck a beefy 1TB into mine and helped a friend of mine on his super slim, 1 thing to consider but I haven't heard any actual facts to this is that the ps3 will only mount up to a 1TB nothing bigger will work so keep that in mind, the fatty and slim models are super easy to swap out the HDD the super slim is very easy to break since the location of the HDD is on the side and is held by a crappy piece of plastic but everything else is totally the same, also just follow the youtube videos as there are a ton out there with mainly the same directions, plus if you swap out your ps3 HDD doing the ps4 is just the same or even easier, just remember to back everything up on a external drive as that will make things simpler, and if it doesn't work you can just put your old HDD back in and start over too with nothing to lose, another thing I have heard is that once an HDD is formatted to a ps3/4 it will not work in anything other then another ps3/4 system so don't expect to turn around and shove it into a laptop or something like that

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by greginsky View Post
    When I bought my PS4 I bought a 1tb drive, swapped it with the 500gb in the PS4 and stuck the 500gb in the PS3. I have every free PS+ ever given installed, plus every physical games I own installed on that HDD and I still have plenty of space left.
    The rest of your information was sound, but I'm finding this bit hard to believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rth_America%29

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    The rest of your information was sound, but I'm finding this bit hard to believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rth_America%29
    hahah I didn't realized how many of those games I uninstalled through the years.
    Correct numbers: 78 Digital, 26 physical = 33gb left (I taught I had more space left too )

But I still think 500gb is way enough for a PS3 since the games are not as big as PS4 games.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Thanks for the info! I have placed a 1TB drive in my Amazon wishlist. I'm waiting for my trade-in to process so I get a small price cut. The price between 1TB and 500GB isn't much different so I'm going for the bigger one so I don't have to worry about this again. Installing it looks super easy. I was also told that I can just get a flash drive to save my game saves and just redownload my online purchases if they don't transfer. I don't have many of them but I have about 20 more PS3 games that I haven't even loaded yet. D'oh! The backlog! >.< I just need to sync my trophies before I backup.

*fingers crossed*

illegal in 9 countries

Yep - just backup your Game Saves to a USB stick, or upload them to PS+. And sync your trophies before installing the new HDD!

The PS3 may need to perform a Firmware update, so download the latest version, save it to a /PS3/UPDATE/ folder on your USB stick, point the PS3 to it during the install process and you're good as gold.