Controller issue

This is a discussion on Controller issue within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hi, I'm not sure where to post this, but I've been having an issue with my controller. It's not even ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Controller issue

Hi, I'm not sure where to post this, but I've been having an issue with my controller. It's not even 2 years old, but lately it has been moving to the left, even when the stick's not being moved.

Kiwi Defender

Funny, that happened to the last one I got as well. Whenever I'd push the left analog stick forward, it'd trigger something that'd make it seem like I was pushing the right analog stick to the left, making it annoying as all hell to play games where that controlled camera movement (specially on any shooter).

It's been quite a while since that happened, and even though I opened up the damn thing to clean it up and what-not, nothing changed, so I don't think it can be fixed.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lord of all Goat-Men

Whoops...

Assumed this was about PS4 controllers.
    Last edited by Faust; 02-24-2016 at 09:00 PM.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    If it's the controller that you got with your console, you're shit out of luck - many shipped with defects, and unfortunately yours has waited until after the general 1-year warranty has expired to appear. All you can do is buy another one.
    If that's the case with all the grill slim PS3s then I'm a victim of that same shit lol.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Negator

Dead skin and general gunk will collect around the base of the analog (and other buttons) sticks. I clean mine with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol a few times a year.

If it persists after cleaning, make sure the controller's buttons are in their default position (or as close to it as possible) prior to turning on your console. You can also try pressing the small reset button on the underside of the controller with a paperclip/toothpick/etc and see if that helps the buttons find their zero-position.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Dead skin and general gunk will collect around the base of the analog (and other buttons) sticks. I clean mine with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol a few times a year.

If it persists after cleaning, make sure the controller's buttons are in their default position (or as close to it as possible) prior to turning on your console. You can also try pressing the small reset button on the underside of the controller with a paperclip/toothpick/etc and see if that helps the buttons find their zero-position.

From my experience out of the 100s of controllers I've fixed your fix has only worked 1/10th of the time.

If Helyx's fix doesn't work try this if you are comfortable opening your PS3 controller. It can be very troubling the first few times of doing it but be very careful not to move the trigger buttons and their contacts because they can be very tricky to get realigned if you do. Here's a tutorial on the fix I recommend you watch the video all the way through a couple of times and also watch it during the fixing of your controller for a step by step guide. Also put the screws in a small container so you don't misplace them.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Now, when I do the rubbing alcohol, do I dip a small big of hte q-tip into it and run it around the stick?

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by DarkChaosXX View Post
    Now, when I do the rubbing alcohol, do I dip a small big of hte q-tip into it and run it around the stick?
    If you decide to clean it make sure the q-tip is not dripping with alcohol just squeeze enough of the liquid out of the q-tip before cleaning the analog sticks. Another thing everybody should do is wash their hands before using any gaming controller. I've seen 1000's of disgusting controllers that needed fixing and all they really needed was to be wiped off.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by MAXTHUNDER View Post
    If you decide to clean it make sure the q-tip is not dripping with alcohol just squeeze enough of the liquid out of the q-tip before cleaning the analog sticks. Another thing everybody should do is wash their hands before using any gaming controller. I've seen 1000's of disgusting controllers that needed fixing and all they really needed was to be wiped off.
    That's not always the case, though. Some of my older controllers (say, PS1 or PS2 era ones) are dirty as all fuck due to me being younger and stupid and work fine, yet my DS3 with OP's problem is clean as hell (even its innards).

Toggle Spoiler