Best Way to back up a PS3...

This is a discussion on Best Way to back up a PS3... within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Basically, my PS3 has failed before and I had the game saves backed up on a external hard drive, but ...

PRO Member

Best Way to back up a PS3...

Basically, my PS3 has failed before and I had the game saves backed up on a external hard drive, but I did not know that some game saves are copy protected (so I lost all my progress), so I have pondering two other options this time round :

1 - transfer the game saves to a different ps3 (that will act as a backup console) using the data transfer utility, but on the internet I see that people that usually use this when they are getting rid of their old system and deactivate it, what happens if you don't deactivate the system you transferred the saves from?, or should you deactivate it and then reactivate it after the transfer?, why does the system have to be deactivated? Should the system that the saves have been transferred to be deactivated instead? What is the best way to transfer the saves using this method?

2 - Get a PS Plus Subscription - As i don't play much and quite infrequently, I could get a PS plus subscription for just a month and transfer the saves over this way to the other system, my question is are the saves still usable after your PS Plus subscription expires (on the new system you transferred to them) ?, I'm assuming they are.... and if you use the method it works with copy protected game saves as well or no?

Any help would be appreciated...

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

Venire, Videre, Vince

Backup & Import - don't know if you found this page yet?

Negator

Best and easiest backup method is just to slap your saves on the cloud. If you have music/pictures/video, then just put those on a USB drive.

When you transfer data from one console to another, it's typically because you're getting rid of the console which is why you see people recommending you deactivate your account. The main reason for this is because your PSN account and digital content can only be active on two PS3s at the same time. If you plan to keep both consoles, then you'll most likely keep your account activated on both if you decide to play your digital content on them both.

I'm not sure how long the saves stay on the cloud after your PS+ subscription lapses, but I know for a fact it isn't immediate and takes at least a few months (perhaps 6?) before they disappear.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by xEl_Cidx View Post
    Backup & Import - don't know if you found this page yet?
    Yeah but it doesn't fix the copy protected problem....., thanks for the help anyway!

Youtube.Com/Kc1597

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Best and easiest backup method is just to slap your saves on the cloud. If you have music/pictures/video, then just put those on a USB drive.

When you transfer data from one console to another, it's typically because you're getting rid of the console which is why you see people recommending you deactivate your account. The main reason for this is because your PSN account and digital content can only be active on two PS3s at the same time. If you plan to keep both consoles, then you'll most likely keep your account activated on both if you decide to play your digital content on them both.

I'm not sure how long the saves stay on the cloud after your PS+ subscription lapses, but I know for a fact it isn't immediate and takes at least a few months (perhaps 6?) before they disappear.
    Hmm yeah, I've been doing some research tonight and came to the same conclusion as you, that as I game infrequently it is better to get a month PS Plus Subscription and back them up that way and I think they stay on there for six months after your subscription lapses which should be fine for me....

Youtube.Com/Kc1597