Voters
234. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

166 70.94%
  • Disagree

68 29.06%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Online Trophies Ruins The Experience.

This is a discussion on Online Trophies Ruins The Experience. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by DRAGON1NINJA Smart guy right there You said it....

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON1NINJA View Post
    Smart guy right there
    You said it.

Local Drunk

I hate online trophies so I don't bother with them, problem solved.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Regional Manager of War

I always though trophies were optional and not at all mandatory

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    GTAIV online is fun, but the Trophies are way too difficult if you're a casual player like me. Plus not many people playing nowadays.
    i disagree, i still see loads of people online.

i'm actually currently going for my GTA plat, me and my mate are working together on the last 2 trophies we need 'Auf Wheidersehen Petrovic' and 'Wanted' and i'm not actually finding the grind boring cos i can have a laugh with my mate as we do it, just earned another $200,000 for the pile, tonight

MK Plat = Overrated

Wow. I didn't look at the results before voting. I was astonished to see that there was such a large majority who didn't like them. I suppose it depends on the types of games you play and the types of trophies are involved. I really only like one game with a large emphasis on online game play: SSF4. I love playing that game online. It brings back the arcade experience that is nearly extinct.

I do understand where everybody is coming from though.

I voted "Disagree."

Banned

Yeah I agree because I need to have online pass for all online trophies and they're very hard to unlock even if I want to earn them by myself with another controller.

PRO Member

i think online trophies shouldn't effect you towards getting the Plat...... but be optional.....

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I tend to avoid games with excessive MP trophies because A. I don't like playing online as it has proven to be more hassle then it is worth (racists, bigots, kids, griefers, et al.), and B. Many trophies are competitively-based and my skills are not on par with the "l337." So I end up getting my ass handed to me and that's not fun. So my general rule of thumb is just avoid them all together. The best online trophies I ever earned came from the Uncharted series as it includes just one that requires you to log on once and participate in one session -- and then you never have to worry about it again.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Online Trophies in NBA 2K12

It's not the online trophy per se that's "evil". It's the requirements behind it.

Most recently I was looking at maybe achieving the Platinum Trophy for NBA 2K12.

They have several online trophies (defined as: requiring online connection to do):

A 2K to Call My Own
    Create a My2K Account.

Not Your Father's Association
    Join an Online Association.

Another Day, Another Win
    Win 5 NBA Today matchups.

Don't Hate the Player
    Win the championship in an Online Association.

This One Counts
    Win one online Versus match.

Back to Back to Back
    Win 3 Versus matches in a row.

You're Officially Hot
    Win 5 Versus matches in a row.

Lincoln
    Win 5 Versus matches total.

Hamilton
    Win 10 Versus matches total.

The Sum of Its Parts
    Play a Team Up Game.

It's Better to Give
    Share any file type through 2K Share.

Of these a few are just technical (A 2K to Call My Own is need to play online), some are a nice incentive to play online (The Sum of Its Parts requires you to just finish an online team game) and some are challenging (Don't Hate the Player requires you to win online - if you go beyond rookie even beating the CPU can be a challenge because you don't control the settings and the CPU just shoots the basket very well).

It's the real online trophies that are a catastrophe, though. After playing a few games (about a hundred) offline, I ventured online and was match up with a Hall of Fame ranked player. He was on audio and we had a pretty good time and I didn't mind losing it. Then, at 0-1 I was matched up with another HoF player and got creamed (the slight delay in timing makes online play different enough from the offline game to have a certain learning curve, regardless of how well you do offline).

In my third game I finally had a less experienced player from Poland. We played the full game, he lost (or so I though, that's at least what the score said). When I looked into my records it was still 0-2. He must have quit - despite the close score at the end.

Then in my fourth game I was matched up against yet another HoF gamer who started out with giving detailed tactics to his players against my chosen team - and with a record of something like 160 wins. I actually threw my controller down in disgust, quit the game and haven't played online ever since.

How are you supposed to get a trophy that requires you to win 5 games in a row if you are a) matched like that, and b) you don't get wins for people quitting on you when you DO have the upper hand finally.

This imho constitutes the most crappy trophy design I can imagine (err, no, I can imagine worse after all).

If you (as a developer) think you have to include online trophies - make them achievable for the median player. Certainly for a game that emphasizes online play like Battlefield 3 you'd strive for more variety than for a game that is primarily offline, granted. But all in all compare the skill and time needed for online trophy against a set level, don't make people get frustrated by (nearly) impossible tasks.

PRO Member

If they muuuuust put damn online trophies in. They should have "Online Trophies" as a separate list, not needed for platinum
    I wonder if any developers actually read forums and threads like this, and pay any attention?

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisValentine View Post
    If they muuuuust put damn online trophies in. They should have "Online Trophies" as a separate list, not needed for platinum
    I wonder if any developers actually read forums and threads like this, and pay any attention?
    If they do then I doubt Daffe Jaffe is one of them. That or he just doesn't give a shit and said screw you to everyone with the trophies required for the new Twisted Metal game.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Another problem. Why do they insist on having trophies where you have to play ranked matches to earn the trophy, guaranteed ppl will be online but finded ranked games can take 4eva just to find that halfway though u get discoonected or the players leave.

PRO Member

Not the biggest fan of them...don't think that they should be required to a game and should be optional.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    I for the most part disagree, at least for me.

For example. If I need 10,000 kills for the plat, I can get that by playing about half a year (or a full year) playing this game almost everyday, depending on how good I am in the game. As long as I don't boost it for too long if I were to boost, then the game would wear out less for me. Maybe I'll get bored of the game, but that would happen regardless of trophies. Now let's say the trophies were simple and doesn't really need to be boosted. That sort of enhances my gaming experience, because I'm playing multiplayer for a certain purpose, other than for fun. I guess you just have to have the right mindset for multiplayer trophies to not ruin your experience in games.
    I agree there are a few games I would like the plat for but they have ridiculous kill trophies so I havnt even tried for them (resistance 2 and army of two the 40th day allthough the 40th day is offlines kills you need a ridiculous amount of kills that require many many play throughs)

Legend...Nuff Said

Everyone knows why I hate online trophies...and if the game doesn't require an online pass the trophy just requires so much grinding I should just go and play an RPG. I just want to bang my head on a kitchen counter top like Gordon Ramsey.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Closing this account

i want to say maybe. some online trophies i dont mind but when the servers put a guy with 20% winning percentage against a guy with a 89% winning percentage, you get kinda discourage at times. i could play more to improve my record but how can you when to many ppl online exploit certain points of a game to much? some online trophies good to get but others are a pain. thanks for boosting.

Lvl 4 - Silver

There should have been a depends option to choose for the poll, that's what I would've picked instead of the agreed option. Anyway, like others have said some developers do them right and some... just seem like they want to piss trophy collectors off. Uncharted 2 and 3 did it right by only having you play the 2 different types of modes. (Though the dlc mp trophies for Uncharted 2 seem a bit unfair.) ACB did it wrong... having to earn every single bonus and earn all team bonuses in one session is a bit ridiculous, but they fixed it in ACR by having mp trophies that you should be able to get without boosting and only having to get level 20 instead of 50. Bioshock 2 also did it right by having trophies you should be able to get without boosting. Then there's Twisted Metal... I have to say that one trophy where you have win 1 ranked match 30 days in a row is just completely ridiculous. My biggest annoyance with mp trophies though is when the servers absolutely suck. I mean why even add mp if you aren't going to have good servers or take care of them? (I'm looking at you Singularity and Naruto.) So to sum it up I say that mp trophies aren't a completely terrible thing, without them I wouldn't have played the mp for Bioshock 2, Singularity and ACB, which I think are all very fun. Some developers just need to not make them with insane requirements. And they do need to stop putting it in sp games that don't need it or pretty soon we'll be playing mp in the next Atelier game where teams will be competing to see who can make the most items.

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and leave people wondering how the hell you did it.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

if you are a trophy hunter, then yeah.. they are annoying, special some of them who requires a straight. which is always a pain in the ass, other than that... trophies are not the reason why you bought the game... at least.. for me..

"Could this be the end?... Is this the way I died?...
    Sitting here alone, no one by my side."

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I find them anoying on games where people don't play the online much, and also the ones which require certain things like killing with a specific weapon.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I actually disagree with you, I think they're good. If done right, most online trophies make the platinum more challenging and rewarding. Sure people will point to games such as Fight Night (impossible to platinum), assassins creed brotherhood, socom confrontation etc... but you can always look at it the other way. I know many admired Naughty Dog for making single player trophy lists but its just far too easy to platinum, same goes for call of duty (most trophy hunters won't even play the multiplayer). If a developer gets the balance right it can be just perfect, stuff like read dead redemption, Burnout Paradise (1 of best trophy lists of all time), need for speed: hot pursuit, assassins creed revelations, battlefield 3 all included online trophies and they were some of the best games to platinum and it extended my gaming experience having those online trophies.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast