Voters
232. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

166 71.55%
  • Disagree

66 28.45%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Online Trophies Ruins The Experience.

This is a discussion on Online Trophies Ruins The Experience. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So far as I've played multiple video games with online mutliplayer mode trophies, I've realized that these are a complete ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Online Trophies Ruins The Experience.

So far as I've played multiple video games with online mutliplayer mode trophies, I've realized that these are a complete waste of time. Multiplayer is to be enjoyed not be made an annoyance, it takes out the fun in play, thus bringing frustration to gamers trying to get a certain trophy, For instance in Gran Theft Auto IV, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Red Dead Redemption, and many more. I personally thought that none of those games required a multiplayer mode, due to them already having an astonishing single player story. Multiplayer trophies bring upon a massive community of boosters which ruins the experience for gamers that do enjoy the game, It also creates this morale for gamers that leaves them bore of it, for instance, time consuming trophies that require you to reach maximum level or kill x numbers of players with certain weapons, It mostly becomes a drag to just put the disk on the PS3, let alone play it. Below comment if you either agree or disagree with me, even vote.

BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS WILL ALWAYS BE IGNORED.
    Unless You Tell Me Why You Want To Add Me.

Lvl 9 - Gold

they just make the time consuming trophies so they get you to play there game longer.pretty stupid

Lvl 9 - Gold

You don't have to get the trophies. They're an added extra. Just play the multiplayer and don't even think about the trophies.
    | Signature and avatar by dsluckay| Platbar by Wadefan1 |

Mr. X

This had already been done to death but I totally agree with you. There's too many games that are tacking on multiplayer when it isn't needed.

I think everyone should take Naughty Dog's approach to online trophies. You get one for playing a competitive match and one for playing a co-op game. It gets everyone to try out the multiplayer but it doesn't force it on them. At the end of the day if the multiplayer is good enough then players will play it regardless of trophies.

The games you've mentioned are inherently single player games and I'd say the majority of people buying them do so for the single player experience. Everyone jumping on the multiplayer bandwagon needs to stop.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Player Hater

I don't like online trophies ata ll, but my hate depends on the type of trophies. So-many ranked wins in a row type trophies are fucked. Play 10 games online isn't so bad. As a general rule, however, online trophies are fucking annoying.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

i see your point but i could say the same thing for single player. it is meant to be fun of course. and the nagging trophies can make your expirience frustrating. in the end you dont need to get those trophies, and you can just focus on having fun. for me trophies add to the expirience whether they are easy or a little frustrating.

Prayer Warrior

i'm not much of a trophy hunter anymore but i hated online trophies when i did care. i agree with the op and feel they should be done away with and also there are certain game series that DON'T need MP. assassin's creed , red dead redemption, dead space, and GTA just to name a few.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    You don't have to get the trophies. They're an added extra. Just play the multiplayer and don't even think about the trophies.
    my thoughts exactly, you dont have to get the trophies, they are optional

PRO Mimbur

I think that the type of online trophy can ruin the online experience. Mainly leveling trophies and trophies that REQUIRE the help of others. I try to play games that I know I'll love which helps when I come across these types of trophies. Sometimes it's more fun going after a trophy with a friend instead of hunting by yourself(Borderlands).

Lvl 6 - Silver

Online trophies are fine so long as they're done right.

A few examples of Bad online are...

Overlord 2 because I have never found anyone browsing online and have to find and add someone to my friends list to play online.
    Brutal Legend The online in that game/ matchmaking really needs improvement
    Ghostbusters Gozer's Most Wanted is notorious and for good reason and makes this games online more frustrating than it should be.

So mainly bad online for me is the servers and glitches.

Games that do it Right

Uncharted 2 Good online, only two mandatory ones and the rest are DLC
    Red Dead Redemption Good online here too and you can choose which mode you want to play in online I.e. competitive or co-op
    Bioshock 2 Online is fairly easy and fun, plenty of action and it's easy to reach Level 50 online just a little bit of a grind.

Awesome Sig by TheGeneral09
    My Awesome Checklist

PRO Member

I don't generely like online trophies either. Especially the ones that you have to kill 10,000 players. Looking at you Resistance 2 and BFBC 1.

There are some that are done right.

Uncharted 2 & 3
    Killzone 3
    Socom 4

Those 4 games online trophies don't require much and dosen't take the fun out of the MP.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

Lvl 6 - Silver

some are acceptable, but the ones in MOH just...just dont get me going
    I still play Black Ops because me and brother have 2 PS3's and share a copy of Modern Warfare 3. So that is why I play it sometimes. Thats the *ONLY* time I play Black Ops! When brother is not playing MW3, I am!

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Think this is supposed to be intended to be a topic against multi-player trophies, and the fact single player games are now being given needless online tacked on. There are a crap ton other reasons why I dislike the multi-player experience that go out and above the ridiculously horrible requirements developers put for trophies and the lack of a need for it.

But here are some things, that don't deal entirely with trophies, that I would like to see changed in the online experience:

There are horrible servers for the vast majority of online games, or in some cases, servers that no longer exist for whatever horrible reasons. If developers insist on having multi-player trophies, then make sure that the servers aren't an issue and allow for local multi-player or even LAN options to allow them to constantly be available.

Another option, that might be too late for this generation of consoles, but I would like to see in the future is make it so that if your developers want to create online components for games, make sure that they have to pass a certain standard test for stability, availability and dependability if they want to add the online component that way the Brutal Legend, Aliens vs Predator, Singularity, and Front Mission: Evolved type fiascos never occur.

Make the developers have to dedicate a set minimum amount of time to their servers before they shut them down. I understand why they shut them down, and the cost issues involved and if a developer has to make a cost cutting measure that is a person's job, or a game's server - I'd rather see the server go. But I would much rather prefer an option from a developer such like EA that would allow the servers to remain open, and keep people jobs - something along the lines of perhaps a $20 yearly online pass that allows you the option to play all the online games still if they are over a certain age (let's say 2 years old so if you wanted to play something like - Madden 09 online, NBA Live 07 online, and Lord of the Rings: Conquest, you would be covered if you paid the $20 for the year to play online still), and help pay for the cost of keeping the servers and the people who maintain said servers with the income to fix it. This is mainly an EA issue, but you get the point.

I hate voice chat - and I think there are a lot of people who are with me on that. The last thing the majority of us want to hear when we hop into an online lobby is some bad song over their headset, their sister yelling at them for peeing on the toilet seat, or some pre-teen dropping racial slurs like they mean nothing. If you want voice chat, that's fine but here's my solution - make it so when I enter a damn room instead of muting every damn person, make them all muted to start and let me decide who I want to un-mute at my own leisure - this way I don't have 16+ people giving me a headache as an added bonus to my online experience.

Other than that, I think a lot of developers when it comes to making online a smaller hassle than it needs to be, we've seen it with a lot of the sequels that have come out and people like David Jaffe taking input from his fans on social media sites and adjusting to what they ask for. Some other people like EA and Capcom just don't seem to understand that more manageable online trophies/achievements will result in more sales and praise from fans.

In truth, compared to last year at this time - it's got a lot better than it was, but there is still room for improvement.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 5 - Silver

Online trophies that make you grind are the worst.

Online trophies should just be made optional or more DLC like and only single player should count towards the Platinum.

The One and Only

I for the most part disagree, at least for me.

For example. If I need 10,000 kills for the plat, I can get that by playing about half a year (or a full year) playing this game almost everyday, depending on how good I am in the game. As long as I don't boost it for too long if I were to boost, then the game would wear out less for me. Maybe I'll get bored of the game, but that would happen regardless of trophies. Now let's say the trophies were simple and doesn't really need to be boosted. That sort of enhances my gaming experience, because I'm playing multiplayer for a certain purpose, other than for fun. I guess you just have to have the right mindset for multiplayer trophies to not ruin your experience in games.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 1
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 4 - Silver

Yea I agree. With the amount of games coming out recently I can't keep up so how do you expect me to reach level 50 in multi-player games if by the the time I get to the game it's a year later and there's like 5 people playing it online lol I don't think that's fair.

Currently Working On- Borderlands 2 52% Resistance: Burning Skies 40%

Lvl 7 - Gold

Yeah I agree on games like GTA4 with their bullcrap get highest rank trophies.

Up the Irons!

I agree. I really (and I mean REALLY) hate the online trophies that force you to do something other than the objective in the multiplayer mode. This forces me to not help my team and it forces other people to also not help the team.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

Lvl 4 - Silver

That's why I love Demon's and Dark Souls multiplayer concepts, it is used like a tool to make life easier but you don't need to play online to get the platinum trophies.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Oops I voted Disagree even though I meant to Agree.

The subject is questionable. Depending on the trophies, it may or may not ruin the experience.

Bad multiplayer trophies:
    - Grinding, such as reach the max level in the game, obviously like stated above, a lot of games have tacked-on multiplayer mode and the devs wants you to play it by adding these trophies
    - Boosting, like when you have to do very specific things in multiplayer (e.g. Bad Company 2 Et Tu Brute, Destruction 2.0 kills)

Good multiplayer trophies:
    - Anything that goes with the flow of the multiplayer that you can get without having to grind or put special effort for them.
    - Does not count towards platinum.

my latest anime updates

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast