Adam Sessler's Soapbox: I Hate Numbers

This is a discussion on Adam Sessler's Soapbox: I Hate Numbers within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Adam Sessler Talks about why Rating with numbers is stupid. great watch. Adam Sessler has always been a awesome reviewer ...

INTJ

Adam Sessler's Soapbox: I Hate Numbers

Adam Sessler Talks about why Rating with numbers is stupid.

great watch. Adam Sessler has always been a awesome reviewer in my book except with a few disagreements in ratings (The Darkness)

He's Probably the only reason G4 Manages to be alive still.

Sessler's Soapbox: I Hate Numbers in High Definition

Lvl 7 - Gold

Irony, noun : The idea of having a five star rating system underneath a video by an employee ranting about numerical rating systems.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 9 - Gold

One of the reasons I choose these guys for my reviews:

- Worth buying
    - Worth trying/renting
    - Don't bother
    Last edited by Hysteria; 10-31-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Adam Sessler Talks about why Rating with numbers is stupid.

great watch. Adam Sessler has always been a awesome reviewer in my book except with a few disagreements in ratings (The Darkness)

He's Probably the only reason G4 Manages to be alive still.

Sessler's Soapbox: I Hate Numbers in High Definition
    He's actually one of the reasons I refuse to watch G4 and Xplay. His biased reviews towards the Ps3 and favoritism towards the Xbox was insane. A perfect example why you should never listen to a reviewer. This was 2+ years ago, he might of finally changed but I doubt it.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalick View Post
    Irony, noun : The idea of having a five star rating system underneath a video by an employee ranting about numerical rating systems.
    Hahaha you totally beat me to it.

Not a bad vid to begin with, but he sorta got carried away about 4 minutes into it.

Player Hater

Hosts of Xplay annoy the absolute shit out of me. Sessler more than the rest. Dude thinks he's fucking Charlie Sheen in that video.

Kiwi Defender

What matters in a review are the arguments the author gives as to why the game is good/bad/average, not the score. Thing is people only look at the score and think that's all there is to the review.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

I've said a thousand times that representing a complex subjective opinion on an objective scale is inherently illogical. In no way will you ever attain any consistency among multiple people and that, as a result, makes the scale meaningless.

Unfortunately the score is all that 60-70% of the readers/watchers choose to digest and became a defacto standard long before Sessler's soapbox.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Platinum Procrastinator

Back when I use to get G4 TV I hated him and X-Play. I thought he was an idiot and tried too hard to be funny, always failing miserably in the process.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Player Hater

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    Back when I use to get G4 TV I hated him and X-Play. I thought he was an idiot and tried too hard to be funny, always failing miserably in the process.
    Plus every other person on the show...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Reviewing games while giving them a 'score' at the end should have never become the norm. A review should always tell the viewer what they can except, the pros and cons of the game, any small annoyances (like trophy glitches or game freezing), and whether or not it's just a solid experience. Then it should be up to the viewer to judge whether or not they should buy it, not a '9 out of 10' or '5 stars out of 5'.

Unfortunately, the score seems to be all what people look for, and I've witnessed countless times on various reviewing sites where a commenter will go apeshit because their favorite game didn't get a high enough score, or a game they hate got a better one than their favorite game. Seriously people... -_-'

Identity Overload

No matter how much of a tool I think Sessler is, he has a point........up until he completely goes off topic. Gauss said it best, a point system is inherently illogical, but I can see why it's around. I've lived all over the United States and one thing I have noticed is that most of the people out there cannot formulate their own opinions-whether it be from laziness or ignorance/naive. We see that everyday, the masses follow like sheep to what somebody with a voice says.

I've played games where they were rated low and I loved them (Duke Nukem Forever) and I've played games that were "on level" with the second coming of Christ (yeah I'm looking at you Halo) and absolutely thought they were the most unimaginative pieces of bovine shit ever created.

Then we see companies like EA who were holding BF3 from reviewers that have given BF a low score before so they can get better scores..........once again to get the masses to buy them. It's obvious that the rating system just isn't a reliable system

Sig by Prosthetic | Platbar by In2 | Avatar by Alison

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    I've said a thousand times that representing a complex subjective opinion on an objective scale is inherently illogical. In no way will you ever attain any consistency among multiple people and that, as a result, makes the scale meaningless.

Unfortunately the score is all that 60-70% of the readers/watchers choose to digest and became a defacto standard long before Sessler's soapbox.
    what he said

oh, and Morgan Webb is the only reason I stop on that channel for even a minute

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalick View Post

He talked about this in the video

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    He's actually one of the reasons I refuse to watch G4 and Xplay. His biased reviews towards the Ps3 and favoritism towards the Xbox was insane. A perfect example why you should never listen to a reviewer. This was 2+ years ago, he might of finally changed but I doubt it.

Just be glad he hasn't gotten his own show (skip to :37.)

Lvl 7 - Gold

I must not have made it that far. It was making me angry, so I turned it off.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 9 - Gold

Just be glad he hasn't gotten his own show (skip to :37.)

Hate to say it, but you always manage to always top the dumbest thing I've seen or read, everytime. Wish I could get those 3 minutes of my life back.

The Deathly Rhythm

Thats what I call....a Rant!, I agree with Adam, I never cared about that stupid rank system, I buy the game if I feel like buying it, or if I don't buy the game if its unfinished like Homefront
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99