Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SpikeTV Game of the Year Contenders revealed.

This is a discussion on SpikeTV Game of the Year Contenders revealed. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Minarum If that's the case, then why is Uncharted 3 on the list? Same with Zelda and ...

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    If that's the case, then why is Uncharted 3 on the list? Same with Zelda and the rest of the games. Cause the gameplay is overused just like all other genres. It's the story that makes games stick out from others in the same genre.
    Agreed. Uncharted doesn't have a lick of originality and the MP elements are streamed from Gears of War and CoD.

Can't say much more I'm afraid.

Lvl 6 - Silver

i say Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception and Mass Effect 3.
    But... ZELDA!? Id rather BF3 or MW3
    I still play Black Ops because me and brother have 2 PS3's and share a copy of Modern Warfare 3. So that is why I play it sometimes. Thats the *ONLY* time I play Black Ops! When brother is not playing MW3, I am!

No Matter What

If that's the case, then why is Uncharted 3 on the list? Same with Zelda and the rest of the games. Cause the gameplay is overused just like all other genres. It's the story that makes games stick out from others in the same genre.
    The story does have an impact, but it's not the sole factor in deciding GOTY. If it was Heavy Rain would have won at least one GOTY hands down.

"But now in the end I understand that it made be stronger."

Happy Tree Friends
    Come here for some bloody fun

Classic Rap Fans
    The hangout for fans of the Golden Era.

ExDesigns
    A prime spot for quality GFX

|Sig by Dare|

One
    Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    Agreed. Uncharted doesn't have a lick of originality and the MP elements are streamed from Gears of War and CoD.

Can't say much more I'm afraid.
    Streamed from Gears of War? You're kidding. What, just because it's a third person shooter with a cover system does not make it related to Gears of War Online in the slightest. Other than that there really are no similarities. Gears of War online is terrible.

"Oh, so you think that the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted it, I was born in it."

INTJ

Portal 2 since Deus Ex or Saints row the third isn't on the list

most anticipated game is 90% Bioshock infinite and 10% Halo 4.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Death View Post
    The story does have an impact, but it's not the sole factor in deciding GOTY. If it was Heavy Rain would have won at least one GOTY hands down.
    Haven't played Heavy Rain, so I couldn't tell you either way. But it's other people's opinions that decide what is GOTY. Even the turd burgers that always win it. You can't please everyone with the awards, but it gets old seeing the same style titles win every year when there are much better games released in the same time frame. Hence why Story to me is much more important then playing the same gameplay'd game 3-10x in a row.

Huge Gaming Backlog

I'd say Batman might be the winner this year. I haven't played Portal 2 and to be honest I didn't really take much notice of it. Everyone here is saying it's good and it's up for Game of the Year, I might have to get that one.

Most anticipated game for me would be Bioshock Infinate. That game is going to be sick.

Killer Avatar courtesy of Wadefan1

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Knowing Spike's VGA, I have a feeling it'll be Arkham City. I want Uncharted 3 to win it and if it does, I'll be surprised.

Most anticipated game for me would be BioShock Infinite.

my latest anime updates

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by chibuki View Post
    Knowing Spike's VGA, I have a feeling it'll be Arkham City. I want Uncharted 3 to win it and if it does, I'll be surprised.
    Uncharted 3 Definately won't win.

it will either be portal 2, skyrim, or the new zelda game. those three have massive fanbases of 100% devoted fans that will do anything to prove they are the best.

Valve's fanbase is the most rabid when it comes to contests like this though. Gamespot adopted a term for it in their Greatest video game <video game character type> contests. "Steamroller" Simply due to the fact that Valve advertised it on their steam platform to every single steam user, thus that happened.

Lvl 7 - Gold

So the list is pretty much made of games that by the time the award show happens would be months old? Yet Metal Gear Solid Rising doesn't make the most anticipated list? LOL, good sir, LOL.

In fact this list has ANGERED DOOM.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Local Drunk

Uncharted 3 GOTY
    I don't know about the most anticipated, since I haven't really gotten into any of those games. Bioshock Infinite sounds pretty popular.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Personally i think game of the year should be MW3, but if i have to choose from the games in the list it would be Uncharted 3.

Lvl 9 - Gold

GOTY: Portal 2. I'm guessing U3 is as good, but since I don't have it yet I can't judge it. I'm not a Zelda fan so I can't say anything about Skyward Sword (I recently started playing Ocarina of Time for the first time and I love it though), but Skyrim is most likely gonna win given the huge fanbase and how much it's gonna sell, even if it's not as good as the rest (not saying it's not, but maybe).

Most anticipated game: BioShock infinite, definitely. Ken Levine taking charge of the series again is just amazing news. And well, The Last Guardian also has me wondering...looks great but with no gameplay yet....

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Player Hater

I can see how Zelda made it onto the list. Nintendo had to be represented by something and it's the only game they'll be releasing this year. My heart says Skyrim, but as that's not out yet it's insanity to claim I think it's the best game.

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

Why isn't Prey 2 on the most anticipated list? That game looks blinding.

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

Lvl 9 - Gold

GOTY for me is Portal 2

Anticipated is The Last Guardian

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Really thats all? I guess I'll watch something else on December 10th
    Platbar by the infamous In2
    "If it looks good, you'll see it. If it sounds good, you'll hear it.
    If it's marketed right, you'll buy it, but...if it's real, YOU"LL FEEL IT"

PRO Member

Ok, so let me get this straight...

Spike releases their Game of the Year contenders list and it includes 2 games that haven't been released at the time the list hits the market and doesn't include Human Revolution... And they want us to take them seriously?

Look, I'm not saying TSS or Skyrim won't or shouldn't be game of the year, but you can't wait a month to announce this?

I am saying HR should be a GOTY contender, how is that not on this list?

Um... Uncharted games are among the best crafted character stories in gaming. I like Resistance alot, I think the canon has alot of under-used potential, but comparing Uncharteds to Zeldas and Resistances is straight ignorance.

I'm not saying you have to LIKE the story, but you can't ignore how well the story is built and constructed.

Also, lets be honest again, Uncharted is on iteration #3, not iteration #18... And actually has had alot of depth in the narrative. Putting LoZ's criticisms on the same footing as those of UC, again, is ignorant. LoZ has had as many copy-past titles as UC has had games, and this is ignoring the fact that UC's canon has legit characters whereas I would say LoZ has archetypes and exposition only.

Resistance's problems are completely different, I (personally) believe Insomniac never had a clear vision of where that universe was going. Thats why ever game has had a completely different tone and story.

Please maintain some perspective here...

As for the rest of the games on the list, I think Portal 2 qualifies to be considered. I'm still undecided on B:AC, I'm not a huge Batman fan and actually found that game too 'meh' to finish. Skyrim and TSS aren't out, so its difficult for me to formulate an opinion on either... And by difficult I mean impossible.

Please note: This is coming from somebody who is not saying UC3 should be GOTY. Its #3 on my list of the games that are currently out at best, by the end of the year it could easily be #4-6 on my list after I've sat down and reflect on the whole year.

I loved that game, but GOTY is a big deal to me and I don't rush to give it out. I also think UC3 is (at the moment) clearly behind Human Revolution and Portal 2 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Portal 2 since Deus Ex or Saints row the third isn't on the list
    Saints Row 3 isn't out yet... Why are you in such a rush to crown a game GOTY that you haven't played the full version of?
    Last edited by Gauss; 11-09-2011 at 07:33 AM.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I find it a bit unsettling that of the entire GOTY and MAG list, there isn't a single new intellectual property on it (I guess if you really want to force the issue, you could technically state that The Last Guardian is not a sequel, but that's pushing it). I understand that the way the industry works is to find a formula that works, and then repeat it with slight tweaks and reap the profits from the pre-installed fan base and the accolades of it's predecessor - but that's for sales and sustaining the industry itself. Where are the rewards though for the risk takers and innovators who take a chance to do something new that works? Why is it that greatness is determined by the titles that are not exactly working with a preset structure and attempt something that is fresh and not something that although is new, feels a bit too much like an experience felt before.

It's sad that the L.A. Noire group fell apart, and became a shit storm of bad press for all the people involved in the making of that game. It was a unique take on a new idea that, although wasn't perfect, deserved praise for all the things that it did right, and being one of those titles that has mainstream accessibility to all gamers in every demographic by not being overly difficult.

Catherine was a game that many people felt wouldn't succeed very well either, because of it being "too Japanese" for the Western world to accept it. It only went on to become Atlus's best selling title at the time it was released, and blew away gamer's expectations by showing that a simple concept - doesn't always make a simple game. It had enough originality in it and witty repoire to easily make it a contender, but probably got thrown by the wayside for being "too difficult."

It's just sad state of affairs that these award shows have got to the point in which they feel as contrived as the reviews that are a foregone conclusion before the games are ever released. I wish the industry would reward the risk takers among itself who take chances, even if it is just in nominations, for having titles that innovate as well as entertain, instead of having to see a list that could have been drawn up by the award show's "announcements" and trailers from the year before...

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

They will give it to either Uncharted 3 or Arkham City
    Mass Effect 3 will proly get Most anticipated.

Sig and Avatar By djunglist

My Youtube interview done by KingSuperOne(subscribe)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SAMFW-gDNs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast