Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

SpikeTV Game of the Year Contenders revealed.

This is a discussion on SpikeTV Game of the Year Contenders revealed. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Gauss Um... Uncharted games are among the best crafted character stories in gaming. I like Resistance alot, ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Um... Uncharted games are among the best crafted character stories in gaming. I like Resistance alot, I think the canon has alot of under-used potential, but comparing Uncharteds to Zeldas and Resistances is straight ignorance.

I'm not saying you have to LIKE the story, but you can't ignore how well the story is built and constructed.

Also, lets be honest again, Uncharted is on iteration #3, not iteration #18... And actually has had alot of depth in the narrative. Putting LoZ's criticisms on the same footing as those of UC, again, is ignorant. LoZ has had as many copy-past titles as UC has had games, and this is ignoring the fact that UC's canon has legit characters whereas I would say LoZ has archetypes and exposition only.

Resistance's problems are completely different, I (personally) believe Insomniac never had a clear vision of where that universe was going. Thats why ever game has had a completely different tone and story.

Please maintain some perspective here...

As for the rest of the games on the list, I think Portal 2 qualifies to be considered. I'm still undecided on B:AC, I'm not a huge Batman fan and actually found that game too 'meh' to finish. Skyrim and TSS aren't out, so its difficult for me to formulate an opinion on either... And by difficult I mean impossible.

Please note: This is coming from somebody who is not saying UC3 should be GOTY. Its #3 on my list of the games that are currently out at best, by the end of the year it could easily be #4-6 on my list after I've sat down and reflect on the whole year.

I loved that game, but GOTY is a big deal to me and I don't rush to give it out. I also think UC3 is (at the moment) clearly behind Human Revolution and Portal 2 as well.
    Did you quote the wrong guy or did you not read all of my responses in this thread? You seem to be agreeing with me almost 100% then making a notion that I'm comparing Uncharted to Zelda and Resistance.... Maybe I didn't make myself clear on that part? If so I can explain but anyways. I agree with you 100% and on that note I'll end this lol.

You do make a great point. A lot of the games weren't even out during the release of this article, but that just goes to show you the fanboyism of these kind of articles. And as Rubicant said. There's no IP's in that mix. All Mainstream games. They are all sequels and games that are "expected" to do great. But yet there's no MW3. So like you said. How can anyone take it seriously? I don't. GOTY isn't a big deal to me, but playing games for 20+ years, we all know the real gems and great games never get the credit they deserve. It's a fact of life and nothing we can really do about it.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    I find it a bit unsettling that of the entire GOTY and MAG list, there isn't a single new intellectual property on it (I guess if you really want to force the issue, you could technically state that The Last Guardian is not a sequel, but that's pushing it).
    Its not pushing it, it is a new IP...

Keep in mind this is Spike too. After thinking about it I'm pretty sure that has a big part of it.

I wouldn't be too distraught about the lack of a new IP, atleast there are a few innovative titles and MW3 is not on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Did you quote the wrong guy or did you not read all of my responses in this thread? You seem to be agreeing with me almost 100% then making a notion that I'm comparing Uncharted to Zelda and Resistance.... Maybe I didn't make myself clear on that part? If so I can explain but anyways. I agree with you 100% and on that note I'll end this lol.
    Yeah, I did quote the wrong person.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Zelda? A GOTY? But MW3 and BF3 aren't? I don't get it..

Uncharted 3 will probably win it. From what I've played, it's very well done.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Yeah, I did quote the wrong person.
    Lol, just wanted to make sure. Cuase I was pretty confused there for a minute.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Even though it wouldn't stand a snowballs chance of winning I wish Catherine would have made the list. I know the difficulty of it turned a lot people off and there weren't many (if any) huge midnight release parties for it but seeing something as different and risky as Catherine or up for top honors would have been nice.

So is all the praise for Skyrim just people's assumptions or am I missing something? If we're doing the talking based on assumptions then I'm gonna say it should be held back because of how buggy it is.

Ghost Assassin

In my opinion, it should go to Batman: Arkham City. It's just awesome. I think Uncharted 3 would be second. It may be reversed with UC3 winning, but I wouldn't mind. Those should be top 2.

I bet Bioshock Infinite will win most anticipated.

Boobs are Magic!

hahaha to crapbox users! sony exclusive is there yet again and has a great shot at winning...

id say batman or uncharted will take it.

mass effect 3 should take most anticipated

Resident PHD

I am actually shocked Portal made it and not Gears (not because I think Portal isn't awesome but this is Spike)

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I'm awaiting the day so I can hear some info on ME3. (If any). Also, I do not like any of the contenders for GOTY. Half of those games just released opposed to games like Dead Space II.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 4 - Silver

Zelda, really....I was so sure BF3 would be a contender for GOTY but no zelda got there (Facepalm)

Oh well

Sig By Apokolypz

PRO Member

Uncharted 3 has more chance to get again GOTY

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Skyward Sword all the way!!!! Let's get this Wii, although BAC is amazing and U3 was incredibly. I'd love to see a Wii exclusive take it
    Epic sig and avy by the one and only Auburn!!
    Sweet platbar by Wadefan1!

One
    Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie42 View Post
    Zelda, really....I was so sure BF3 would be a contender for GOTY but no zelda got there (Facepalm)

Oh well
    An FPS game like Battlefield will never have the requirements to win Game of the Year.

"Oh, so you think that the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted it, I was born in it."

No Matter What

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    An FPS game like Battlefield will never have the requirements to win Game of the Year.
    It's almost certain to win at least one GOTY, actually it is certain to win one.... You guys know Spike aren't the only people who do GOTY awards, right?

"But now in the end I understand that it made be stronger."

Happy Tree Friends
    Come here for some bloody fun

Classic Rap Fans
    The hangout for fans of the Golden Era.

ExDesigns
    A prime spot for quality GFX

|Sig by Dare|

Buy my book, Alteration

I voted for Arkham City as GOTY. No questions, just...

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

I make my own mayo!

What no Dead Assland??? oops I meant Island

Avi by TheGeneral09 Bar n Sig by Athena the Great PlatBar by In2

Kiwi Defender

No DE:HR in GoTY? Wow, I am disappointed.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234