Portable hard drive issues

This is a discussion on Portable hard drive issues within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I bought a new hard drive to put into my ps3 as well as a portable usb one to transfer ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Portable hard drive issues

I bought a new hard drive to put into my ps3 as well as a portable usb one to transfer the game data from the old hard drive to the new one. My ps3 doesn't recognize the portable hard drive when I plug it in. Has anyone had this issue?

All the forum topics I read said that the ps3 should recognize it as soon as its plugged in. I don't see anywhere on the ps3 where I could copy data to it. If anyone has any ideas that would be great! Thanks.
    God of War 1, 2, 3, Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta | Dante's Inferno | Uncharted 1 and 2 | Darksiders | Infamous 1 and 2 | Unreal Tournament 3 | Dead Space | Killzone 3 | Assassin's Creed 2 | Prototype 2

O_o

Make sure it's formatted to FAT32, that the only way it'll recognize it.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by BSpatula View Post
    I bought a new hard drive to put into my ps3 as well as a portable usb one to transfer the game data from the old hard drive to the new one. My ps3 doesn't recognize the portable hard drive when I plug it in. Has anyone had this issue?

All the forum topics I read said that the ps3 should recognize it as soon as its plugged in. I don't see anywhere on the ps3 where I could copy data to it. If anyone has any ideas that would be great! Thanks.
    I was never able to get a usb hard drive to be recognized by the ps3. Only thing I know you can use is a USB flash drive. Now when you say game data, do you mean the game data itself or save files? It's not possible to copy over game data onto an outside source unless you do the transfer utility to another ps3.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ERICVOLTAGE View Post
    Make sure it's formatted to FAT32, that the only way it'll recognize it.
    Looks like I can only format this portable drive to either ntfs or exfat. What is exfat? Will that work?
    God of War 1, 2, 3, Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta | Dante's Inferno | Uncharted 1 and 2 | Darksiders | Infamous 1 and 2 | Unreal Tournament 3 | Dead Space | Killzone 3 | Assassin's Creed 2 | Prototype 2

Eat My PewPew Lasers! >.<

Looks like I can only format this portable drive to either ntfs or exfat. What is exfat? Will that work?
    plug it in to your computer and right click it.
    go through all the options and find FAT32
    use that. only that.
    It's just a flesh wound.

O_o

Not at all, I bought a Western Digital 350GB Passport thinger, and it was tough to format it, only because it had some lock program crap, anyways, I used some program I'd downloaded from the internet. So look around for some reputable formatting software, preferably free, and you should be set.

plug it in to your computer and right click it.
    go through all the options and find FAT32
    use that. only that.
    I didn't have that option, if you do, take it and run! Lol.

Lvl 4 - Silver

if it helps (for future reference), i have a Western Digital ex. hard drive and that recognizes on the ps3 quite well =]
    -----
    just looked at the post above me and now i'm thinking that's weird...
    i have the 500 GB My Book thing (i think that's the name), now why they would have different formatting is beyond me...society loves to complicate itself
    Add me if you want (soulless94), as long as you don't randomly delete me for no reason
    If I randomly add you, it's because you're awesome...wanted an answer? There it is. =]
    -----
    Cops don't protect against mugging, abuse, or grand theft. I thought you should know how great your "protectors" are.
    -----
    Myanimelist - Ryxia6392

☆ Zzz...Zzz... ☆

I actually just recently went ahead and bought a bigger HD drive for mine, got a 640GB and bought a 250GB USB HD to back up all my stuff and had that same problem you had with the portable one.

Any USB HD will work, just need to download some software and format it yourself since most of them are already set to NTSF, and windows won't format a drive in the FAT32 format if it's bigger than 32GB if I remember right.

Here, I'll go the extra mile and link you to something I persoanlly used when I did it a few weeks ago. Click me

Just be prepared for waiting a long ass time if you have alot of data stored that you wish to back up, I had to wait over 7 hours to back up everything I had and then had to wait another 2-3 hours to restore it.

So yeah.

Oh, you'll also need to put the latest firmware on a memory stick and plug that in once you swap out drives since it'll ask you to do it after it's done formating the HD you put in, have that ready and you'll be set.

Can get the latest firmware on the playstation site. Click me

On the root of the memory stick, make a folder called "PS3" in caps, and then inside that folder maker another called "UPDATE" caps again, and stick the firmware you downloaded in that folder and that is pretty much it. Plug in the stick when asked and it'll do the rest.

Have fun with your new HD. !
    ~★|Avatar and Sig made by the amazing Auburn|★~

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Thanks Kupo those links worked great. But now I have another issue. I put in the new hard drive and turn it on and it says "Cannot start. The correct hard disk was not found"

I read another forum about SATA vs SATA 2. If its in SATA 2 putt a jumper on it to make it run in SATA. How do I tell if its SATA or SATA 2?

☆ Zzz...Zzz... ☆

You can fit in either SATA or SATA II but if you do put in a SATA II drive, it just wont run at SATA II speeds.

So, either one will work fine and the PS3 supports both in that sense. SATA II is just a revision in data transfer performance from normal SATA.

Telling the difference between the 2, aside knowing what you bought exactly, they're pretty much identical. As long as you know for sure that the HD is in the FAT32 format the only thing would be you have a SATA II drive, since it would detect if it was SATA straight away.

So I think in your case, you'll need to apply the jumper to the HD to limit the access speed so the PS3 will be able to read/write on it.
    ~★|Avatar and Sig made by the amazing Auburn|★~