Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Donít Let Congress Censor the Internet

This is a discussion on Donít Let Congress Censor the Internet within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; This will have a detrimental effect on all of us, please read and follow the link which will send a ...

PRO Member

Donít Let Congress Censor the Internet

This will have a detrimental effect on all of us, please read and follow the link which will send a letter to congress letting them know that you oppose this legislation.

Some of the worst legislation weíve ever seen is currently before Congress. Three pieces of legislation, H.R. 3261 in the House of Representatives and S. 968 and S. 978 in the Senate, would cripple the internet by stripping your due process rights and making everyday users wary that the next thing you post might get you sued or thrown in jail. Hereís what the legislation does:

It strips current laws by now making internet companies, which used to be immune, liable for their usersí communications. This means that Facebook, Youtube, Wordpress, Google and more are now on the hook for what you post.

It gives the US Attorney General, with court order, the power to seize websites that possibly infringe or partially infringe copyright. There would be no due process and no chance to defend yourself before the seizure. The mere accusation can get a website taken away.

It violates Net Neutrality by ordering internet providers, advertising companies and payment systems to block accused websites with technology that just doesnít exist.

It threatens users by imposing fines or jail time for posting even derivatives of copywrited work(s). A video of your karaoke, playing the piano, video game speed trial would now all be punishable if a copyright holder decides to enforce it.
    Weíve already seen I.C.E. overreact when seizing websites and copyright holders suing over the most minor infractions. This legislation is vague, overly broad and under inclusive, violates due process, there are already existing laws on this subject and this creates a chilling effect on free speech by creating black lists and making everyday users think twice about what we post.
    http://action.theeca.com/p/dia/actio...ction_KEY=5006

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

lol this should be interesting.

Sig and Avatar By djunglist

My Youtube interview done by KingSuperOne(subscribe)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SAMFW-gDNs

HDD corrupted u.u

That is bullshit. Congress shouldn't accept them
    [floatleft][/floatleft]

AKA bar by Athena| Avatar by Dare_xLw
    |Signature by Luckay

My showcase

by "Neo Gimp" D1Mech and "Smudgetastic" djunglist

Sigs And Beyond (closed)/Deja View (open)
    Sigs/Banners/Avatars/Headers requests

Me & Ming @ The Stash

That's goddamned bullshit The US is slowly but surely trying to become fucking communists

Awesomeness thanks to:Thunder for platbar | Bladia for sig | Sigs & Beyond

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

that sounds like a crock of shit to me

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Lvl 4 - Silver

you cannot put laws on free will, and if you think you can do so...humanity itself has died

The Controllers' immorality keeps growing
    free the world before it's too late
    Add me if you want (soulless94), as long as you don't randomly delete me for no reason
    If I randomly add you, it's because you're awesome...wanted an answer? There it is. =]
    -----
    Cops don't protect against mugging, abuse, or grand theft. I thought you should know how great your "protectors" are.
    -----
    Myanimelist - Ryxia6392

Lvl 1 - Bronze

This is the most pathetic thing ive ever heard. as if politicians are suddenly angels.

Gaming since PONG !

yea.. it is sad when all that money gets put in ppl's pockets what can happen eh? lets go back to a peoples gov not these carer ass bags

INTJ

in before some person tries rationalizing how batshit insane this law is.

Looking for Grimy's n00bs

Here is a link to the opencongress site on the bill, so you can read about the bill before coming to a conclusion.
    H.R.3261: Stop Online Piracy Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

Here is a summary of the bill from the site:
    OpenCongress Summary

This bill would establish a system for taking down websites that the Justice Department determines to be dedicated to copyright infringment. The DoJ or the copyright owner would be able to commence a legal action against any site they deem to have "only limited purpose or use other than infringement," and the DoJ would be allowed to demand that search engines, social networking sites and domain name services block access to the targeted site. It would also make unauthorized web streaming of copyrighted content a felony with a possible penalty up to five years in prison. This bill combines two separate Senate bills -- S.968 and S.978 -- into one big House bill.
    OpenCongress bill summaries are written by OpenCongress editors and are entirely independent of Congress and the federal government. For the summary provided by Congress itself, via the Congressional Research Service, see the "Official Summary" below.
    With the one-sided support of this bill I highly doubt it will get very far. JMO

avatar and sig by the awesome kid420247

дурак

Quote Originally Posted by d3m0nd00d View Post

With the one-sided support of this bill I highly doubt it will get very far. JMO
    Yeah I don't see this shit going anywhere to be honest.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

PRO Member

If you live in the US, go there and fill out that petition.

It takes 2 minutes and is a great way to let your congressional representatives that you don't support it. If we can flood their offices with letters about it, they will do this for the sake of continuing their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by john3007 View Post
    that sounds like a crock of shit to me
    No crock of shit, its a legit bill. Second pass of a bill that failed earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by soulless94 View Post
    you cannot put laws on free will, and if you think you can do so...humanity itself has died

The Controllers' immorality keeps growing
    free the world before it's too late
    This isn't some giant conspiracy, its a short-sighted congress trying to get a law on the books to solve a problem. Thing is this is like nuking your whole house because of a rat problem.

Quote Originally Posted by scrowson81 View Post
    That's goddamned bullshit The US is slowly but surely trying to become fucking communists
    Well, you are aware you can do something about it right?

What happens is Congress sees a problem so they try to come up with something to combat it. Problem is this is so fucking complicated a problem and Congress is generally speaking not intelligent enough to combat it, that or they are lazy so they make this sweeping legislation.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Me & Ming @ The Stash

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Well, you are aware you can do something about it right?

What happens is Congress sees a problem so they try to come up with something to combat it. Problem is this is so fucking complicated a problem and Congress is generally speaking not intelligent enough to combat it, that or they are lazy so they make this sweeping legislation.
    I did do something, I filled out that petition right after seeing what was in the OP

Awesomeness thanks to:Thunder for platbar | Bladia for sig | Sigs & Beyond

Resident PHD

I understand how if something is copyrighted then the owner wouldn't want their stuff being posted for free on Youtube for example. But what is funny is I have purchased quite a few dvds of movies I would have never heard of except through internet reviews.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

One
    Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    in before some person tries rationalizing how batshit insane this law is.
    Too late.

"Oh, so you think that the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted it, I was born in it."

RPG Master

These kinds of laws have always popped up every now and then for various fields. They almost always get rejected and in the rare cases they are passed, they are never enforced.
    Sig by JK_Blade
    Shemhazat's Trophies

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Damn I came on this thread hoping to see some silly, nonsensical argument that always arises on the net when someone posts something remotely to do with politics/economics/or anything to do with the real world, which inevitably is reduced to someone saying 'itz like wat Hitler done did back then'. I'm disappointing...

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

This should be extremely interesting...

Ghost Assassin

This pretty much sums up my reaction.

Looking for Grimy's n00bs

Quote Originally Posted by Danko1900 View Post

This pretty much sums up my reaction.
    Thank You Danko!!!

avatar and sig by the awesome kid420247

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast