Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Is this generation of consoles going to be remembered for it's lack of originality?

This is a discussion on Is this generation of consoles going to be remembered for it's lack of originality? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; It feels like that sometimes. I actually think most of the games I've bought this year are sequels. It makes ...

  1. #21
    Buy my book, Alteration
    Digitalman123's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In a very very... maaaaad wooorld
    Posts
    2,735
    Reputation
    80

    It feels like that sometimes. I actually think most of the games I've bought this year are sequels. It makes me think about back when there were tons of consoles out there, each with continually differing games, like the SEGA Genesis for example. Tons of different games, almost all each completely different. Nowadays some gamers pray on the yearly CoD release and yet another thirteen other new zombie games. Sad really.


    Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

  2. #22
    Lvl 10 - Platinum
    ferretbusiness's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Hovering pattern
    Posts
    1,860
    Reputation
    31

    this generation gave birth to several new franchises that are going strong, uncharted, imfamous, demons souls, just to name a few, just because they have sequels doesnt mean they are unoriginal, as long as the developers keep adding new gameplay mechanics and tweaking things that dont work there will be innovation, this generation will be known for the overwhelming addition of online play, even to games that didnt really need it

  3. #23
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    The_Tonto's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    578
    Reputation
    22

    Innovation isn't always easy, sometimes it's like what was said with Assassin's Creed it releases two wonderful titles but is then forced to have Multiplayer tacked on as well. Other times we get a game like Heavy Rain which leaves everyone whose played it very happy and feeling they got their money's worth or hoping for a sequel(like me) or another game in the same setting .

    The Fond Memories I'll have of the PS3

    Toggle Spoiler


    Awesome Sig by TheGeneral09
    My Awesome Checklist

  4. #24
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    I'm answering the question in the title. Nintendo, definitely shouldn't be remembered for their lack of originality. As for Ps3 and Xbox, not sure how anyone could come up with this conclusion. Consoles and gaming have come a long way... We still remember older consoles for the stepping stones they've done. But as far as innovating and changing the way we game. The originality of gaming is at the highest it has ever been, and it will only increase.

    Quote Originally Posted by ATHF89 View Post
    The Greatest Year of Gaming happened back in the SNES/Genesis era. This generation had great games but were not very original.
    See I totally disagree. Even with the Atari, Nes, Snes, and Genesis era setting the stepping stones for what we have today, most games were very short, to the point, and lacking in many areas. Sure there were games that blew our socks off back then, but with the lack of technology back then, it's hard to say they were the best for gaming. Now with today's standards and everything, the possibilities to how great or original a game can be is endless. I personally think there is no comparison or a contest when comparing games from today vs. back then. Today's games are far more original. Now gameplay wise, you'll possibly never have an original style or gameplay since every game is a copy from something else. It's the features, story, and the tweaks that make games stand out from the rest of the crowd, which back in early gaming, it was hard to do anything else besides the story....

  5. #25
    Lvl 1 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    14
    Reputation
    0

    Attempting to stick on topic, I feel like originality does not need to be tied to original ideas. I know that seems somewhat contradictory but most of the new IPs are a clone of something with a fresh coat of paint. On the other hand there are titles that seem like they came out of drug induced brainstorming sessions such as LBP which are quite simply remarkable feats of innovation but still seem to clone many of the things that made other games great (how many platformers exist? How many games allowed player customization before this?).

    I don't mind sequels, I'm frothing at the mouth for my copy of Skyrim to arrive and already have a pre-order on adult diapers for Diablo III but what really annoys me is when I sequel comes out half assed and disappoints me completely. For an example see Dragon Age 2, or dragon age 2 and dragon age 2 (sorry I feel like if they can use the same room 10x i can use the same title). Maybe the most important thing to keep in mind right now is that a sequel needs to be held to the same standard as an IP but that will unfortunately never occur and that is why we can have 40 sequels a year and 10 IPs because it seems like very little risk is associated with a sequel.

  6. #26
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Now to sit there and call me ignorant when I proposing a question that is asked about the legacy of this generation years down the line, is a bit harsh. You also complete ignore the fact that I am saying that it's mainly a lack in new characters, environments and experiences - not gameplay or presentation which I feel are the best, for the most part, than they have ever been in their representation this year. [... for brevity]
    My point was you don't need new IPs to have that... Point 1.

    I also, by in large, ignored your characters argument because this generation has had more characters than any other. Games are getting deeper and this is the first generation where there are actually some games out there that challenged the manner in which video-game characters are developed and written. This is the first generation where there are some really deep and complex stories without saying "oh, just get an RPG." A game like Heavy Rain would have never been released before this generation.

    I'd actually argue some of the most complex stories AREN'T on RPGs this generation, and the RPGs with complex and deep stories, like Folklore, get ignored. By the way, highly recommend that game.

    You can sit here and say things like "OH MY GAWD SEQUELS!"

    When I play Uncharted 3 though, I see character development that rivals alot of what Hollywood puts out. If you get over the blind ignorance/hatred of the fact its a sequel, there is alot of depth to that story and the characters. Yes its a adventure serial, but if you work within that context there is alot going on.

    You don't need new IPs to get innovation, and I hate to break it to ya but if you are talking about characters you have to be really careful. Gaming is alot like movies in terms of character development, you have a fixed plate to work with and oftentimes you can't actually dig deep into characters in the first title. Games like Heavy Rain are an exception, and even then I'd argue if HR's plot was written differently so as to open the door for HR 2 the characters would be better because they've already been introduced in the first title.

    I'll go back to my Empire example. In the hands of a competent writer sequels can be a great thing because a good writer can build off the introduction of the first title. Without the first Star Wars, Empire would have been meaningless, but because the first Star Wars set the stage and introduced the characters alot of the emotion groundwork has been laid and Empire can really dig deep into the characters and develop them. Empire ends up being the best in the series simply because it is a sequel.

    New IPs are great, you will get no argument from me there, but don't dismiss the idea that sequels can be innovative. Yeah alot of titles aren't great examples, but dismissing an entire concept because a few people are irresponsible with it is kinda stupid. Much like how I always say any story can be interesting if told right, any story can also be stupid if told wrong. The fact that some people tell stories wrong doesn't mean stories are bad.

    Also, be careful before you start talking about the year because you clearly talk about the generation as well. Some of my points were about the generation as a whole. You can pick and choose your points, but you can't apply this year as indicative of the whole generation. Thats perhaps part of my confusion, sometimes you are talking about this year, but then there are times when you clearly are talking about this whole generation.

    Lastly, keep in mind that I am acknowledging there are more sequels nowadays... There is more money in gaming so its only natural. They aren't growing exponentially though, all of gaming is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    I could be wrong, and missed out on something, but as a regular buyer of DLC, I didn't catch too much this year that caught my eye as innovative, immersive, and fresh.
    Well here we go again to are you talking about the whole generation or just this year? Are you talking about DLC or actually allowing me full games on the PSN?

    This generation has seen games like Flow, Flower, Limbo, Stacking, Eden, Echochrome, Braid, etc in DD and games like this would not have seen the light of day the previous generation. The only reason these games get released is because they can be released digitally.

    Innovative? Check.
    Immersive? Check.
    Fresh? Check.

    And those are 7 games right off the top of my head, if you gave me a few minutes to compile a better list I could easily get 15-20. If you are allowing me XBLA titles in the XNA developers network... I could probably give you 30 without breaking a sweat to find any.

    It once again comes back to my ignorance argument, if you aren't looking or acknowledging these games... Thats not the fault of this generation, its yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    I never once in this title stated that the future was set in stone, or that anything I stated about the future was fact, just that the trends of the coming year more closely resemble those of this year, as opposed to the previous years in which I would say a much smaller representation of new IPs and sequels or rehashes that are offering more innovation that familiarity are being represented.
    And my point was you are looking at something where small titles aren't going to be. Retailers have reliable data through maybe the first quarter of 2012 at the moment... And they are only going to list titles that are going to get pre-orders. A game like Catherine isn't going to show up on Gamestop's release list a year in advance. Games like Catherine don't get hype, they don't get long-winded announcements because they are unknowns.

    Its like you are going to Activision to find great games... You are going to a place where you've failed at your quest before you've set out.

    You can't have your cake and eat it too by the way, sequels will always draw more hype because they are established/known commodities.

    Even then 2012 has the promise of Last Guardian right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    If you want to make an assumption that me asking a question - not making a statement - and wondering if there are other's out there who feel similar thoughts, or feel that things are fine the way they are makes me "ignorant and overly-critical", so be it, but it was more presented in the form of wanting to ask a question to the community on what they feel is the state of things, in the perspective of recent memory, the foreseeable future, and in relation to the years that came before it.
    Except you didn't just ask the question. Alot of your opinion was in the post and thats where the fruit of my response came from...

    I am saying you are being ignorant or overly-critical because, from where I said, any insinuation that originality and innovation is regressing this generation is just that.

    You are either ignoring the smaller and average titles in favor of the big name stuff, or you are being so overtly harsh as to what qualifies as innovation that your standards are inherently unattainable.

    Innovation comes in baby steps, and I've seen gaming evolve alot this generation.

    -------------------

    Look, I guess this is the summation of my points:

    1) This generation has been, arguably, the most innovative since the early days of gaming in the late-80s/early-90s. Gaming has grown big time and lots of studios are doing everything they can to compete for your dollar.

    This year been the best? Probably not.

    2) Do you need new IPs to get innovation? No.

    Particularly if we are talking character development, sequels can be a great thing. First titles are difficult, and unfortunate too many studios like making set-piece theaters, but if you have competent writers the first title has to lay alot of ground work in character development. Its difficult to get deep into characters though in a first title... You pretty much either have to have the game be a story about a single character without any real supporting cast, or you have to lay groundwork and hope the sequels give you the chance to get deeper.

    3) I've slowly become convinced I am one of the 1% of people out there who is willing to have 1000 crap titles released if it means I get 10 gems.

    I seem to have this uncanny ability to ignore/forget crap games and am willing to deal with yearly iterations of CoD if it means I can get a game like Human Revolution, Valkyria Chronicles, and even a game like Brutal Legend.

    I'm also not opposed to sequels because I can just not buy crap if it means I can get games like Uncharted 2 and Portal 2.

    Because thats the key component here: I'm not forced to buy games, so if its crap and I don't like it... I don't buy it.
    Last edited by Gauss; 11-14-2011 at 08:33 AM.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  7. #27
    Korean Girl Group Groupie
    Rubicant81's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Inevitably, Unattainable
    Posts
    1,417
    Reputation
    151

    Look Gauss, I put the title as the question - and the post is my opinion on the subject, just my opinion. I understand that you are educated and open on the matter, but it's getting ridiculous that you keep feel a need to tear down my opinion on the matter as if what I am saying is wrong - I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but it doesn't help when you keep turning this on me in an attacking manner.

    I don't see what's difficult about the question I got and me using this year, it's relation to last year, and the expectations for next year (which I go above and beyond Gamestop lists to seek for information, and don't use Activision as any sort of standard barer) And used 3, 5, and 10 years down the line, in which the trends of today would reflect that more than half of, let's use Sony as an example, was buried in the trend of collections, reboots, and sequels and the amount of IPs dwindled in the later half. I agree that a lot of new titles add new experiences like Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and even something like Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fat of Two Worlds, but I also feel that a lot of the sequels this year, for the most part, mailed it in for a quick buck, and even then originality becomes more difficult to find, with the focus on publishers to cash in while the iron is hot, and the franchise is still in recent memory - which is the trend for the majority of sequels today, and tomorrow.

    There are titles like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the upcoming Bioshock: Infinite that push things further, or in Bioshock's case, rectify many of the problems that it's fan base had with it's sequel, that many felt was a "mail it in" effort. I know that there are still companies that try, but there's a lot more that don't than do, and more people who buy games go that route over trying something like Deus Ex: Human Revolution over something they know.

    I believe I put my point into the context of this year, it's content, it's expectations and what it delivered for being proclaimed so "great" far too prematurely. People may have felt that this was a good year or lived up to the hype, but I was left wanting. In many departments, especially the term I deemed in the title "originality" in which I still feel it was lacking severely, and used the other consoles of this generation, and comparison of titles of the previous years as my standpoint.

    When I said DLC, I might Downloadable Content, I didn't leave out individual games or separate them form the add-on content, but I reflected my own individual opinion that this year, just like major releases, fell into the same void of offering less in terms of originality and more older titles, rehashes, and sequels. I don't play everything, but I check the PS Store every Tuesday, and XBLA every Wednesday, and I see what's released, and check the preview thumbs, and developer videos if it looks interesting and for this year, I didn't have to look as much as previous years. (again, this is me, but the list of titles you posted, I have almost all played, agree with you and played them when they came out)

    This is a PlayStation 3 website, and I believe I made enough of a point in my reflections that of the big three, they are by far the least guilty party, but from what I see from X-Box 360 and Wii, innovation was tossed by the wayside in terms of preferring to test the waters on gimmicky hardware. If we use those platforms as the basis of originality, it would be even more supportive of my case, so thank god for Sony being there and delivering the lions share of original titles.

    Again, I didn't pose the question in way that said there was a lack of innovation, just that would it be remembered for not having any. I also posed my opinion on the matter in a way in which it reflects to me. I get a first response from you, in which I get it compared to another thread, and a response that instead of posting how you feel in a non-demeaning intelligent way, with having to drag it down to attacking another's opinion uses crutches like "ignorant and overly critical," and you follow it up with a post in which again, my opinion gets over criticized instead of you being able to post your own experiences and feelings without having to compare and explain on how I feel, and experienced, is wrong because it doesn't coincide with the points you posted and arguments you make against them.

    I'm not going to compare every game that came out this year, or use references of movies that are many decades old and use terms "best" as if they're fact - that's not how an opinion gets supported, or developed. I ask a question, that several other posters were able to explain how they feel in a way that doesn't have to take a stance that attacks me, but you just can't seem to avoid that in either of your posts, and I'm done after this of having to support how I feel on matter, proposing it with a question that offers individuals an openness to express themselves in a way that reflects them, and be torn down with paraphrase by paraphrase on how the way you perceive my words supports me being ignorant and overly critical - something that people who know me, read the stance, or don't try and twist my words or fill in the gaps that I don't give a thesis on as being what they are not, are able to somehow are able to understand without having to come off pointing their negativity back at me for proposing the question initially.

    Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

  8. #28
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    I agree that a lot of new titles add new experiences like Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and even something like Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fat of Two Worlds, but I also feel that a lot of the sequels this year, for the most part, mailed it in for a quick buck, and even then originality becomes more difficult to find, with the focus on publishers to cash in while the iron is hot, and the franchise is still in recent memory - which is the trend for the majority of sequels today, and tomorrow.
    You're kind of making my point for me though, or atleast you and I are acknowledging the same phenomena even if we are coming to different conclusions. I don't mind cash it in sequels because, by in large, I don't buy them. Yeah I occasionally get duped, like with CoD I got tricked twice. Most of the time though I just avoid the crap, so the fact the crap exists doesn't bother me.

    More importantly though... The crap has to exist. Much in the same way good does not mean anything without bad... Quality is always relative. If every game was Human Revolution, the accomplishment of a game like that would be irrelevant. You have to have the bad games out there because its what makes the good games good. The thing is you don't have to buy them, I'll let the guys who love shooters and football buy the Madden and Battlefield games, sure they aren't bad, but they fund games like the first Dead Space or the next IP EA is about to invest in, just as an example.

    Again, thats my point: A game like Folklore matters so much more to me than all the crappy titles. I choose to just ignore the crap because it will always be there and was always there. It was actually worse in previous generations FYI. As far as I am concerned the single worst console in my eyes was actually the NES. Very little QA in those days and pub/devs got away with murder because there was little accountability from the general public and reviewers/critics.

    Its not about cashing in a franchise for most companies, its very difficult nowadays with the amount of games coming out to make your game stand out. Constantly companies are trying to figure out ways to make their games stand out from the crowd, they are always pushing the envelope in some fashion. This is what bears out innovation: competition.

    You say you see alot of mailing in today (and tomorrow), I'd just like to add that you need to keep in mind that you are assessing the quality and originality of titles that haven't been released yet, many of which don't even have demos. Yeah, I'll give you some titles we know whats going to be in them beforehand... You really want to tell me though that ME3 is going to be bad just because its ME3? Or FF13-2 is going to suck just because FF13 was disappointing to most?

    You say next year looks dreary for new IPs... What about Binary Domain? Dishonored? Syndicate? Those are supposed to be out by the Summer, and thats just what we know now.

    If so, its just committing the same crime the CoD fanboys do and all the other people who gobble up crap. Don't be different just to oppose the crowd, be different because you think for yourself.

    Every generation has this ebb and flow. The new generation sparks a bunch of IPs (always has) that get fine-tuned and sequelized throughout the generation. Then throughout the generation new IPs get introduced, but it tapers off because the start of the generation is where all the new IPs come out. Its not getting any worse or better, its following the same pattern it always does.

    Lastly, Not every game that will be released next year has been announced or given a release date, and since new IPs tend to be announced last... You get bits and pieces before that, but never anything formal. Since you've sanctioned Catherine as being OK to mention, I'll use that as an example. It was formally announced less than 6 months before it was released in Japan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    There are titles like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the upcoming Bioshock: Infinite that push things further, or in Bioshock's case, rectify many of the problems that it's fan base had with it's sequel, that many felt was a "mail it in" effort. I know that there are still companies that try, but there's a lot more that don't than do, and more people who buy games go that route over trying something like Deus Ex: Human Revolution over something they know.
    And a table is a table. Thats always been there. People are always going to buy the Mario game or the Call of Duty game over Last Guardian or Catherine. Thats ALWAYS been true.

    Innovative ideas are different, foreign, its what makes them innovative and nobody wants to be a guinea pig. Why do you think Uncharted and Dead Space had so many used purchases compared to UC2 and DS2? Nobody wanted to risk their money.

    Also, just to clear something up, I am saying that Human Revolution is basically a new IP. Yes it shares the name with its predecessor, but it takes place in a canon all but completely isolated from the previous titles (its canon is completely self-contained and features a cast of characters not relevant to the future titles, the links with the previous titles are completely ancillary) and is a reboot coming well over a generation after the last sequel effectively killed it. I'd also like to add that while it shares alot of tone with the previous titles, many of the issues it deals with are completely different.

    Like my Empire example I am using it because its commonly accepted that Human Revolution is a good game. Its not like CoD where its quality is very polarizing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    I believe I put my point into the context of this year, it's content, it's expectations and what it delivered for being proclaimed so "great" far too prematurely. People may have felt that this was a good year or lived up to the hype, but I was left wanting. In many departments, especially the term I deemed in the title "originality" in which I still feel it was lacking severely, and used the other consoles of this generation, and comparison of titles of the previous years as my standpoint.
    Ok, well first off originality and innovation are the same thing at the end of the day. I tend to use the latter simply because it has a very specific connotation that original will never carry. Just want to clear that up.

    Second, thats fine but I'm pointing out what has grown exponentially is gaming, not sequels. Sequels have grown as well, but so has the number of developers and number of IPs.

    If you actually go back and look at PS2, PSX, SNES, NES, Genesis, etc there was alot of crap games in there too. There were alot of years where there weren't alot of innovative titles.

    My point is if you actually look at this entire generation (not just this year), there have been alot of really good titles and innovation introduced.

    I choose to remember and judge based on the highs, not the lows.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Again, I didn't pose the question in way that said there was a lack of innovation, just that would it be remembered for not having any.
    You can't say that this generation had innovation, but won't be remembered for having it without either saying someone is stupid or just admitting you are saying one side of that statement isn't true.

    I've gone back and read several of your posts in an effort to try and figure out where I am "twisting your words" or misreading you, and while I concede I did... There is one area I did not and thats here. You very clearly voiced an opinion and provided mounds of supporting evidence. You very clearly established a stance on this issue and started a discussion.

    You can't ask how this generation will be remembered though without accepting or acknowledging how it is, particularly when said generation isn't over yet. If were talking about events passed its different, but the here-and-now those two concepts are inseparable... Unless you want to either beg the question of people being stupid or dishonest.

    So, nothing personal, but I find this statement irrelevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    pointing their negativity back at me for proposing the question initially.
    Being challenging isn't being negative. I'm sorry if you took the ignorance comment to be some type of personal attack, but it wasn't. Being ignorant or something isn't personal, I'm just saying you are either ignoring some facts, don't know them, or haven't considered them.

    Overly critical is a character trait, but not necessarily a bad one. Yeah its not something you want in a boss or something, and hey some people make a living off of it.

    I'm confused too, so you can compare titles and use them as evidence to support your opinion, but when I do my opinion isn't developed or supported? I'm not comparing every game that came out this year, I didn't play them all. I'm using the games I've played and been experienced to as well as my experience gaming since I was a kid as a basis for my opinions.

    Throughout this little side convo we have several times I've told my exact philosophy and thought process completely independent of any games and examples. If you choose to ignore those statements, I can't help it. I've told you I define gaming by the number of good games not the number of bad. I've told you that I have no problem with 10000000000000 shit games released each year if the number of quality titles year to year is increasing. I say this with the hopes that THIS is what you'll actually remember, so that maybe you're like "oh, I don't think like that, I care about the number of shitty games." Then you can respond or understand accordingly or just reply saying "I don't think like that, personally I find <thought process> to be more reasonable to me"

    If you say that, I'll accept it and we can move on. I'll never begrudge someone for understanding how they think so long as they do indeed think and continue to grow and assess their views, but if you don't know how you think... Thats also not my fault.

    And if I'm twisting your words don't tell me "well you're just twisting my words," point out where I misread you and say "I didn't mean that."

    Also, I use Empire because its the easiest example I have in terms of how sequels can expand upon things in a way not possible in new IPs. MOST people have seen Empire. Nothing personal either, but I'm not saying Empire is the best movie in the series, I was implying it has the best character development in the series. I don't find this statement to be particularly inflammatory or controversial.
    Last edited by Gauss; 11-14-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  9. #29
    Korean Girl Group Groupie
    Rubicant81's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Inevitably, Unattainable
    Posts
    1,417
    Reputation
    151

    Thanks for the reply and putting it Gauss in terms that explain where you're coming from, and what you mean.

    The twisting of words thing was mainly towards to Activision and CoD references, which for most people work, but to me aren't really relevant or where I am coming from or are any sort of foundation for what I based the question off of (I don't play FPS titles for the most part and probably never will play a CoD title since it doesn't do it for me, and the only Activision titles I play are Marvel ones, since I'm a comic book junkie). It just felt like you kept going for a point, in which it wasn't a stance I was coming from. The tone of, particularly the initial post felt a lot more like "another shitty topic, of people blowing things out or proportion" as opposed to me asking a question about the direction of the industry, on this generation of console's later half of it's life cycle, and it's legacy in total.

    I think we agree at this point on most matters on the subject, except the fact that there should be more crap games, to find the good ones, since that doesn't seem to be the way things are working out - which I feel is a bad stance on what the future would impart on the lifelong gamer. I know what your saying that let the other people deal with the crap and let the gems that you find be worth it, but they're becoming harder and harder to find and they spot is being pressed upon by that new kid on the block of "HD Collections" which seem to have taken a little bit of the original titles spot out of the mix. I am no longer sure, for example, if more people would want Final Fantasy: Versus XIII or a complete remake of Final Fantasy VII, which baffles me and points towards a trend in which people would rather prefer something more familiar to something new. To use an example you use, of Empire, it would be like if George Lucas had a new movie that he leaked a little bit about and had a large following, and the previews which are years old are all promising and instead of him working on it - he goes and remasters and re-releases the original trilogy again (this is all hypothetical of course). So basically now it feels a larger chunk of those "original" ideas, are having some of those capable minds in the industry working on HD remastering, instead of finding the next new idea whether it be something like Deux Ex: Human Revolution to you, or like something like Shadows of the Damned was for me.

    Since there are only many dollars to be spent on games, and so many people in the world who can make those games, and only so many publishers that are willing to take the risk on those games - I'd much rather have it so that there would be a few more. I don't have no definite answer for how it gets fixed either, maybe do what the PlayStation 1 and 2 games did, and include the demos and teasers for upcoming titles on disk? Maybe bundle the games upon release with discounted rates? Perhaps offer deals in which you buy a PSN game, get the digital download edition of a major release off of PSN at a discount a week in advance? Something though, needs to be able to happen at this point, to make more original games, and ideas available to the masses, so that more people discover new titles - the Play program from Sony has promise, but doesn't offer enough incentives (again, this is my opinion) to reach a more widespread group, or have enough games that catch people's eye, and there isn't enough content out there today, to really make ideas like this work feasibly.

    Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

  10. #30
    PRO Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    184
    Reputation
    7

    Is this generation of consoles going to be remembered for it's lack of originality? The simple answer is no.

    Assassin's Creed
    Bioshock
    Gears of War
    Battlestations: Midway
    Il Sturmovic: Birds of Prey
    Uncharted
    Infamous
    The Club
    Resistance
    Red Dead Redemption
    LA Noir
    Child of Eden
    Vanquish
    Enlsaved: Odessey to the West
    Dark/Demons Souls
    Two Worlds
    Mass Effect
    Bayoneta
    Borderlands
    Dead Space
    Mindjack
    Blur
    Modnation Racers
    Little Big Planet
    Heavy Rain
    Bullet Witch
    Timeshift
    Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
    Catherine
    Trine
    Shadow Complex
    Wet
    3D Dot Game Heroes
    Harvest Moon
    Dead Island
    Rage
    Bulletstorm
    Eternal Sonata
    Saints Row
    Grid
    Rocksmith
    Prototype
    MAG
    Lost Planet
    Homefront
    Warhawk
    DiRT
    Mirrors Edge
    Darksiders
    Knights Contract
    Outland
    F.E.A.R.
    Left 4 Dead
    Wii remote
    Move
    Kinect


    And there's plenty more


    Now playing
    EVE ONLINE
    Who needs a life anyway


  11. #31
    Regional Manager of War
    Admiral_Awesome91's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Empire City
    Posts
    1,677
    Reputation
    80

    Ofcourse great games and short system life spans, YLOD/RROD. Also not to sound like an ass but Prototype was not original. It copied another Activision game called The Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction. Literally the same mechanics just a different character

  12. #32
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    DIAMANTEAQUOS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    81
    Reputation
    0

    That's not necessarily how I think of it. I think of online gameplay and DLC. Plus, I just tell myself that the originality is being saved for the next generation.

  13. #33
    PRO Member
    Trunksu25's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    290
    Reputation
    34

    Quote Originally Posted by ATHF89 View Post
    The Greatest Year of Gaming happened back in the SNES/Genesis era. This generation had great games but were not very original.
    This! I feel that the originality in gaming as in the motion picture industry is mainly taking an idea and tweaking it to try and provide a spin that "hasn't been done before" not to say that there aren't some innovative titles on the current-gen consoles (Assasin's Creed 1 really blew me away as did Uncharted: Drake's Deception, and Skate with it's mechanics on how to maneuver the board)
    But I also think this generation will be remembered as ppl have stated as the generation that really brought Multiplayer to the masses. I think it will also come to be remembered (2 or 3 generations down the line) as the generation of consoles that began the war on the used gaming market.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO