Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Homework: Benefits of video games [FINISHED]

This is a discussion on Homework: Benefits of video games [FINISHED] within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Closed thread sorry...

Eat My PewPew Lasers! >.<

Ignore

Closed thread
    sorry
    Last edited by FancyJesse; 05-14-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Many games improve language and math skills as players have to move at a great speed along with the protagonist of the game.

Absorption in a game distracts the mind from pain and discomfort.

& the well known: They improve hand-eye co-ordination
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

i find games beneficial (particularly rpg) because they create a world that is based on imagination and not necessay reality. with that a world of creativity can be explored. also this can help create a distraction and potentially help addiction recovery for someone (like me) becausue the wolds wont reflect your life

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Nope, nothing

I really like how games like Portal 2 provide the player with a puzzle that really makes you think outside of the usual puzzles you would find in your day to day lives, this is beneficial to anyone really as it lets tests your mind to think 3dimensional, which many people don't do that often

Ghost Assassin

It has been proven that gaming can improve one's imagination/creativity and it can improve a one's strategic thinking.

I also found this link, maybe you can elaborate on the points made in it: http://www.nickcannon.com/post/10-re...e-good-for-you

Keep them coming guys

I have trouble putting all of this stuff down on paper ><
    Last edited by FancyJesse; 05-14-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    It's just a flesh wound.

Lvl 4 - Silver

From a place called south east london - I heard your mum's got bunions... fam what!?

In my opinion gaming help keep one's imagination. Games with epic set pieces (Uncharted, Cal lof Duty, God of War) or creativity like LBP
    Games can help you think strategy for things like working out how to beat a boss, or best way to tackle a level, or when playing FPS online.
    For puzzles solving skills. Portal, and even games where you get stuck and try to figure out different methods to get past.
    For Reactions times and hand eye co ordination. Proven that people who play FPS online have better reaction times than those who don't.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ManicRipper2?feature=mhee

LOTR: Conquest/COD: [email protected]/Mirror's Edge/Transformers: ROTF/Star Wars: The Force Unleashed/MW2/God of War III/LittleBigPlanet/Bad Company 2/COD Classic/InFamous/Uncharted 2: Among Thieves/Trine/Burnout Paradise/inFAMOUS 2/COD: Black Ops/Assassin's Creed II/Anarchy: Rush Hour/MW3/Battlefield 3/Prototype 2/Far Cry 3/Sleeping Dogs/NFS:Most Wanted/FIFA13

Player Hater

Playstation 3's processing power is used in the [email protected] program, which investigates the structure and molecular dynamics of proteins, which in turn helps scientists the development of many debilitating diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, HIV and even cancer. Wiki it, buddy. It's awesome.
    Also, in the past, the US Government has used 'clusters' of PS3's to perform advanced computing in both it's immigration and Air Force departments. The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement Cyber Crimes Center used them to help crack secured, password-protected files to aid in prosecution of criminals and the Air Force had a set-up enabling them to research such topics as Neuromorphic Computing and High Definition Video image processing and Back Projection Synthetic Aperture Radar Imager formation, amongst other things. The reason the Air Force purchased the 'cluster' of PS3's was due to costing, basically. An equivalent super-computer capable of the same computing would have cost $8000, as opposed to the $600 a PS3 cost at the time.

NSFW

Quote Originally Posted by FancyJesse View Post
    Oh and does anyone know where to find the the original report of the gamers that found a structure of an enzyme that could help fight AIDS... took them a few weeks (playing a game called Foldit) when scientists have been trying for decades.
    Not sure if you're referring to this:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/z...oldit-2011.pdf

This is pretty heavy reading though.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

INTJ

You can say video games are the experemental part of technology that then gets used in military/medical uses

such as the kinect (People are using it to perform surgerys and stuff like that), games like America's army and how the army uses 360/PS3 Controllers to control UAV Drones and RC Bomb disposal units.

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    You can say video games are the experemental part of technology that then gets used in military/medical uses

such as the kinect (People are using it to perform surgerys and stuff like that), games like America's army and how the army uses 360/PS3 Controllers to control UAV Drones and RC Bomb disposal units.
    this could help, thanks.
    It's just a flesh wound.

Threat

They give the player responsibility for themselves.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

A plat a month!

I've seen a report a while back that gaming improves hand-eye coordination, and that doctors that played games where more skilled at performing surgical tasks.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

games such as puzzle games help sharpen the mind just like a good ol game of chess
    let us not forget the aid in dexterity
    can spark creativity in games that give you the ability to customized maps and levels ex. LBP and MOD nation racers

as the consoles get improved the younger generations are being accustomed to games that require them to think,
    eye coordination, and as i said before creative thinking
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 4 - Silver

games like uncharted,portal,and other puzzle games make you think.also the fast paced action games help you think faster.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Puzzle games do help surgeons perform quicker more accurate surgeries, also video games especially FPS' enhance your spacial remembrance or how you well you remember where objects are around you. And then like everyone has said hand eye coordination, problem solving, etc.

Player Hater

The Wii is also being used in rehabilitation centres to help out in the recovery of motor skills/co-ordination etc. Videogames do plenty of good, not just being used as murder simulators, would you believe it?

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Teamwork skills -- obviously
    Persistance to achieve a goal (aka dedication -- thinking of my GT5 plat )
    Problem solving skills (aka thinking outside the box to come up with a solution)
    Leadership skills via allocation of duties (thinking BF3 mp squad leader)
    Hand eye coordination -- obvious again
    Stress relief (although this backfires if attempting something profoundly difficult)
    Relationship strengthening (my best PSN friend is actually a longterm boyfriend and girlfriend couple who both play often on one account)
    Best Plats: Bad Company 1, Gran Turismo 5, MAG, Racquet Sports, Sports Champions, and Wipeout HD
    Best PSN 100%'s: Hustle Kings, Landit Bandit, and Scene It: Movie Night

PRO Member

Ok, let me help ya out right now...

School assignment? Get some legit source material. Don't go quoting biased sites like n4g and USA today, honestly I'd even avoid gaming advocacy sites like GamePolitics and the ESA as sources.

What you want is to read, quote, and base your opinions on the actual research papers, and here are a few good ones that are directly related to what you may want:

Here is a recent study Michigan State University that showed strong evidence that video-game playing is a good predictor during childhood development of what MSU defines as measures of creativity. Basically MSU researchers are saying kids who play video-games during the later stages of development tend to think more creatively when it comes to writing/problem-solving/creation, etc.

This is really good because it facilitates human development rather than technological development. This is one of the few studies that you could argue shows evidence of an improvement as a society from video-games.

Another really good one, thats also a societal benefit is a really recent one out of Carnegie Mellon. Unfortunately this one has yet to be published, but its been submitted.

Here is the source material:
    Press Release: Language Learning: CMU Researchers Use Video Games To Crack the Speech Code-Carnegie Mellon News - Carnegie Mellon University
    http://www.psy.cmu.edu/~lholt/public...e-2011-SJL.pdf

This study is using video-games to figure out how we actually learn language during early development, the idea being this will assist in early childhood development.

If you are willing to expand your study to include all video-games, there have been two really good studies recently about violent video-games and shooters:

The first, published last year, is about how shooters improve cognitive faculties in people. Basically the study showed that people who play shooters have superior problem solving skills and are more open in how they think.

Another one of my favorites is the famous Hitman Study. This study talks about how violent video-games reduce stress levels and are actually assist in mood improvement and frustration.

There are some other good ones here, but I gotta be honest your thesis is too vague as you presented it. You really should figure out what you are trying to figure out first, then do research, then formulate a clear and concise point. I get the feeling that you haven't nailed down that first step yet, that or you haven't narrowed it enough.

If you want more help from me, PM me.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Games are also used to train people for a certain job. See Leveepatroller, which obviously used to train people to become a leveepatroller!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast