Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gabe : Piracy a "Non-Issue" at Valve, Provide good services and you'll actually get sales

This is a discussion on Gabe : Piracy a "Non-Issue" at Valve, Provide good services and you'll actually get sales within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Gabe Newell: Piracy is a “Non-issue” to Valve; Providing better Services Will Result in More Sales - GamingBolt.com: Video Game ...

INTJ

Gabe : Piracy a "Non-Issue" at Valve, Provide good services and you'll actually get sales

Gabe Newell: Piracy is a “Non-issue” to Valve; Providing better Services Will Result in More Sales - GamingBolt.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Previews and Blog

No one knows the PC market better than Valve, and in a recent interview with TCS, Gabe Newell explained why Valve is so successful. Recently we reported how Ubisoft were shunning the PC market due to Piracy, and imposing heavy DRM on their customers, but according to Newell that’s not really the right way to go about it.

He said that there is a general misconception about piracy, and it’s not really the high cost that forces people to pirate. It’s about the delivery service and how convenient it is to people with purchasing power.

“In general, we think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem”, he said.

“For example, if a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate’s service is more valuable.”

In a way, I agree with him. Imposing heavy DRM on software will only turn off the legit customers and that’s more detrimental to sales that being beneficial. Coming back to the Ubisoft example, they do make very good games for the PC.

The quality of the Anno franchise is inarguable, and they have released some quality exclusives now and then on the platform. But most of these software contain one type of DRM or the other, and it’s confusing why Ubisoft chooses to go this route.

Recently Ubisoft said that, “95% of people will pirate our game.” It’s a ridiculous thing to say without releasing any sort of data and they have also cancelled Ghost Recon: Future Soldier for the PC. Yes, they may be hurting due to piracy, but going from one extreme to the other is not the solution and Ubisoft needs to understand this.

Newell explained a lot more as to how they were providing better services and creating a sense of brand loyalty. He mentioned that piracy is basically a “Non-issue” for Valve.

“Our goal is to create greater service value than pirates, and this has been successful enough for us that piracy is basically a non-issue for our company.”

He also gave a nifty example as to why this is the case.

“Prior to entering the Russian market, we were told that Russia was a waste of time because everyone would pirate our products. Russia is now about to become our largest market in Europe,” he revealed.

If only Ubisoft and others could learn a thing or two from this man, the gaming industry would be in a much better position.

PS: He has no idea about Half-Life 3.

meanwhile in mentally-retarded DRM Fucktard land

Kiwi Defender

Why is it he keeps saying the same thing over and over again? We understood it the first time.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 8 - Gold

any body who believes piracy doesnt effect sales negatively is an absolute moron.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    any body who believes piracy doesnt effect sales negatively is an absolute moron.
    Not exactly. One can't be sure what'll happen if x number of people pirate a game, and what effect it'll have on the game's sales, so your argument is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    Didn't you post this a while back?
    That, or Newell loves repeating himself.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Not exactly. One can't be sure what'll happen if x number of people pirate a game, and what effect it'll have on the game's sales, so your argument is invalid.

That, or Newell loves repeating himself.
    i didnt make an argument,i made a statement.People who believe piracy doesnt effect sales negatively are morons.

Kiwi Defender

i didnt make an argument,i made a statement.People who believe piracy doesnt effect sales negatively are morons.
    Then your statement is wrong. Piracy affects sales, but whether it affects them negatively or positively depends on the situation and many different factors. For example, look at Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The leak helped the game sell more copies on the PC.

On the other side, it seems that people who believe piracy only affect sales negatively are morons.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 8 - Gold

Then your statement is wrong. Piracy affects sales, but whether it affects them negatively or positively depends on the situation and many different factors. For example, look at Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The leak helped the game sell more copies on the PC.

On the other side, it seems that people who believe piracy only affect sales negatively are morons.
    Problem with that argument though, is that we pretend people don't pirate just to get shit for free.

Lvl 8 - Gold

yeah,piracy is so good for sales,thats why companies spend millions of dollars a year trying to fight it.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Problem with that argument though, is that we pretend people don't pirate just to get shit for free.
    of course the majority of people who pirate stuff do it to get stuff for free.

Kiwi Defender

But that's not the case with everyone, and of course, piracy can't be completely eliminated, but you can do your best as a developer to reduce the number, like Valve.

I'm not Ps360 and I don't think Steam is the bestest thing ever, but Valve's approach is great, and even though not every dev can pull it off, certainly the likes of Ubisoft, EA and Activision can (and I mention those three because they actually have a market on the PC).

yeah,piracy is so good for sales,thats why companies spend millions of dollars a year trying to fight it.
    Valve: spend no money preventing piracy and give a good service.
    Result: little (if any) piracy, and great sales.

Ubisoft: spend a shitload of money on some of the worst user-friendly DRM ever created.
    Result: very little sales for their games on the PC.

See how spending "millions" (yeah, right) of dollars a year trying to fight piracy doesn't always pay off? Do some research, and you'll see how trying to fuck the consumer that actually bought a copy of the game just to prevent piracy isn't a good solution at all.

Stop lingering in ignorance.

Toggle Spoiler

INTJ

Thats why valve singlehandedly destroyed pirating in russia for their games (the pirating hellhole of the world) by being intelligent and pricing it properly for each country (unlike activision and co. where they charge people in australia 89$ USD for their shit) and not making them wait 6 months to get it.

russia is now the biggest market for them in europe.

Lvl 8 - Gold

But that's not the case with everyone, and of course, piracy can't be completely eliminated, but you can do your best as a developer to reduce the number, like Valve.
    But for those it is a case for, that's a bad effect on sales. It's not about the scale of the piracy, it's the fact it exists.

Put it this way, if a game sold 32 billion copies (gross exaggeration I know -- but fuck it, I'm drunk), and only 1 person pirated for the twatish reason of getting it for free, that's a bad effect on sales because it's prevented the game from reaching it's full potential of sales.

Another thing to take into consideration, publishers won't know the reason for someone pirating a game so how can you expect them to be able to accommodate for it?

Kiwi Defender

But for those it is a case for, that's a bad effect on sales. It's not about the scale of the piracy, it's the fact it exists.

Put it this way, if a game sold 32 billion copies (gross exaggeration I know -- but fuck it, I'm drunk), and only 1 person pirated for the twatish reason of getting it for free, that's a bad effect on sales because it's prevented the game from reaching it's full potential of sales.

Another thing to take into consideration, publishers won't know the reason for someone pirating a game so how can you expect them to be able to accommodate for it?
    But it still depends. Did he pirate it because he wanted to give it a try, and finished up disliking it? Or maybe he didn't even play it and pirated it for the lulz? One can't be sure that the devs lost a sale, just like one can't be sure they could've earned a sale if the person had played his pirated copy.

I know, but doing Ubisoft-like DRM isn't helping their cause. It's just making people not pay for their games at all. Why would I want to buy the newest Ass Creed if I'll get kicked out while killing someone thanks to my internet sucking balls? The best appraoch I've seen is Valve's, but like Gauss has said before, not everyone can do what Valve.

All in all, we can't be sure that pirating the game will affect positevely/negatively a game's sales.

Toggle Spoiler

INTJ

Compete with them.

with Pirates, you might not get a game at all but a bunch of viruses, the download may takes minutes or days, the game could be corrupted and full of terrible shit. The game probably couldn't even work at all.

With Steam, Click and buy, Minutes/Hours later you have the game in your computer, no viruses, no anything bad at all. Just you and your game you got. Fully 100% Working with no issues.

Their DRM also isn't a giant load of shit either. Have problems with your internet and can't connect to steam? Put it into offline mode.

Oh lucky you you got a leaked copy, too bad you can't play it because the DRM Is smart enough not to have the EXE On the Physical and digital copy till the game comes out, Making PC Piracy Before release Virtually zero for the steamworks DRM game and prevent people from going on internet boards and spreading The games story everywhere before it comes out.

No Activation limits, No shitty always-on internet requirements, nothing. Just you and your game.

it's why steam has won the digital distribution crowd it has now.

INTJ

China counterfits fucking everything. even cars and theme parks.

your point?

Kiwi Defender

That's not the same. In China, the government actually supports piracy and lets them get away with it afterall. They think that helps their own market increase instead of giving money to Japanese companies for their products.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 8 - Gold

That's not the same. In China, the government actually supports piracy and lets them get away with it afterall. They think that helps their own market increase instead of giving money to Japanese companies for their products.
    it is the same,its piracy.their are billions of dollars of lost sales companies suffer due to piracy and counterfeit goods.

Kiwi Defender

it is the same,its piracy.their are billions of dollars of lost sales companies suffer due to piracy and counterfeit goods.
    There's a big price difference between a game and an iPod. There's also a very big difference in their sale numbers and in the way the companies handle it, so no, it's not the same.

And game companies don't lose billions of dollars, stop living in the clouds.

Toggle Spoiler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast