Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Sony And Microsoft Possibly Teaming up for a Kinect TV

This is a discussion on Sony And Microsoft Possibly Teaming up for a Kinect TV within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Rumor: Microsoft in 'early stages of licensing' with Sony for Kinect TV | Joystiq Microsoft has embraced hacker culture for ...

  1. #1
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Sony And Microsoft Possibly Teaming up for a Kinect TV

    Rumor: Microsoft in 'early stages of licensing' with Sony for Kinect TV | Joystiq


    Microsoft has embraced hacker culture for Kinect, and it now sees the vast possibilities offered by a machine that requires people to just twitch or shout for it to function. Microsoft is now planning to integrate Kinect into next-generation televisions, The Daily reports (citing anonymous "sources familiar with the subject"), completely destroying the all-American pastime of searching for the remote. But that's not the most shocking part -- The Daily says Microsoft may be in "early stages of licensing" its Kinect tech to Vizio and Sony, whose Electronics branch produces high-def hardware.

    Sony Electronics, in charge of Sony TVs, is a separate entity from Sony Computer Entertainment, which handles its video-game business, but this potential partnership seems awkward at best, and ludicrous at best-er. We won't believe it until a tangible product materializes, but until then, we're going to imagine the ridiculous company parties that could result from this rumored venture.

  2. #2
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    I don't know how true this rumor is but that is what is funny about Sony and MS.

    I am typing on a Vaio that uses Windows, back in September I go into Futureshop and the Bravias are advertising off Gears of War.

    yet Playstation and Xbox are sworn enemies

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

  3. #3
    Lvl 8 - Gold
    Oxymoron28's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    822
    Reputation
    26

    That'd be pretty fucking insane.

    Sony's TV technology and Microsofts kinect?

    Would that mean motion controlled television?

  4. #4
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    That'd be pretty fucking insane.

    Sony's TV technology and Microsofts kinect?

    Would that mean motion controlled television?

    Yes.

    then you would never have to use a plastic remote ever again


    Kinects Voice Recognition is probably one of the best i ever seen ever, you could just say "Change channel to comedy central" and it would change it to that. Not to mention it ignores you when you don't speak commands, even when your talking about them.


    the problem is that the kinect doesn't discriminate between voices, so you and a kid can argue over the channels by screaming commands at each other.

  5. #5
    PRO Member
    Kylo's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    675
    Reputation
    20

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Yes.

    then you would never have to use a plastic remote ever again


    Kinects Voice Recognition is probably one of the best i ever seen ever, you could just say "Change channel to comedy central" and it would change it to that.


    the problem is that the kinect doesn't discriminate between voices, so you and a kid can argue over the channels by screaming commands at each other.
    Yeah that sounds pretty awesome, but what about browsing through the channels to see what's on?

    I can hardly see "Down, down, down, next page etc." being fun. That's the only way I can think of it working in terms of voice recognition. The same thing would probably be quite strenuous if done through motion recognition.

    PSN: CasualStorm
    Steam: CasualStorm
    My Blog: PlayStation Room | Gaming News, Articles & Reports

  6. #6
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    Quote Originally Posted by Kylo View Post
    Yeah that sounds pretty awesome, but what about browsing through the channels to see what's on?

    I can hardly see "Down, down, down, next page etc." being fun. That's the only way I can think of it working in terms of voice recognition. The same thing would probably be quite strenuous if done through motion recognition.
    That is kind of what people forget. Imagine it is 2am and you are just trying to find something to watch. I think the rest of the house would get kind of annoyed by you saying "next, next, next, next" over and over.

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

  7. #7
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Damn, that sounds too good to be true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kylo View Post
    Yeah that sounds pretty awesome, but what about browsing through the channels to see what's on?

    I can hardly see "Down, down, down, next page etc." being fun. That's the only way I can think of it working in terms of voice recognition. The same thing would probably be quite strenuous if done through motion recognition.
    I assume they'll add a command like "Browse channels", and it'll just change channels every x seconds, which one will surely be able to change.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  8. #8
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    Recon_1331's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    101
    Reputation
    5

    what about when you don't feel like talking to your damn TV or you feel sick, and can't really talk?

    Eh... I like having a remote...... Its just something that can't be replaced.

  9. #9
    Lvl 8 - Gold
    Oxymoron28's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    822
    Reputation
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Yes.

    then you would never have to use a plastic remote ever again


    Kinects Voice Recognition is probably one of the best i ever seen ever, you could just say "Change channel to comedy central" and it would change it to that. Not to mention it ignores you when you don't speak commands, even when your talking about them.


    the problem is that the kinect doesn't discriminate between voices, so you and a kid can argue over the channels by screaming commands at each other.
    Hmm... i wonder if it'll understand "put something good on for once, you ****"...

  10. #10
    PRO Member
    Kylo's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    675
    Reputation
    20

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    That is kind of what people forget. Imagine it is 2am and you are just trying to find something to watch. I think the rest of the house would get kind of annoyed by you saying "next, next, next, next" over and over.
    Also, what if you're just trying to watch porn at 2AM? .

    Parents coming down stairs...

    Me: Change channel now!
    TV: Please repeat that command
    Me: Shit!

    PSN: CasualStorm
    Steam: CasualStorm
    My Blog: PlayStation Room | Gaming News, Articles & Reports

  11. #11
    Huge Gaming Backlog
    Reiner's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    STRAYA
    Posts
    775
    Reputation
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Recon_1331 View Post
    what about when you don't feel like talking to your damn TV or you feel sick, and can't really talk?

    Eh... I like having a remote...... Its just something that can't be replaced.
    This is what I was thinking.

    I was wondering if it was had motion sensors like the Wii but you could use your hand or fingers to move around on the TV instead of talking to it.

    Wicked Slipknot Sig and Avy by Shadow Guru: Kid420247



  12. #12
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    Quote Originally Posted by Reiner View Post
    This is what I was thinking.

    I was wondering if it was had motion sensors like the Wii but you could use your hand or fingers to move around on the TV instead of talking to it.
    All that is fine but it should be optional not mandatory. I would hate a world where everything went motion controlled because sometimes I am lazy and don't want to wave my hands around. It is actually one of the big reasons I haven't gotten very far in Zelda yet, I work 10-12 hour days and when I come home I don't want to have to stand up and move around to play my game.

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

  13. #13
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    Syphonetix's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Trill State of Texas
    Posts
    127
    Reputation
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    All that is fine but it should be optional not mandatory. I would hate a world where everything went motion controlled because sometimes I am lazy and don't want to wave my hands around. It is actually one of the big reasons I haven't gotten very far in Zelda yet, I work 10-12 hour days and when I come home I don't want to have to stand up and move around to play my game.
    Gamecube Controller. Lol

  14. #14
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by Syphonetix View Post
    Gamecube Controller. Lol
    Wasn't aware Skyward Sword was compatible with a GameCube or the Classic Control . Are you sure you aren't confusing it with Twilight Princess ?

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  15. #15
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Twilight princess was a Wii port, not skyward sword.

  16. #16
    member since Oct 2009
    fillabong's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    treasure coast
    Posts
    363
    Reputation
    21

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    That is kind of what people forget. Imagine it is 2am and you are just trying to find something to watch. I think the rest of the house would get kind of annoyed by you saying "next, next, next, next" over and over.
    Another thing people tend to forget is that some people are mute making this technology obsolete for them. Same goes for speach impairment.




  17. #17
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by fillabong View Post
    Another thing people tend to forget is that some people are mute making this technology obsolete for them. Same goes for speach impairment.
    They'll probably add the option of changing channels with hand commands, though.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  18. #18
    Crocodile Hunter
    Ac3stralian's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Straya ****!
    Posts
    2,057
    Reputation
    178

    It would be ineresting to see if this rumor is correct

    Sig by Apokolypz



  19. #19
    Lvl 5 - Silver


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    312
    Reputation
    15

    No thanx! I don't want a camera in my face while gaming in my boxers

  20. #20
    Player Hater
    DJ_Keyser's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Oztraylia
    Posts
    534
    Reputation
    38

    Never going to happen. OP of rumour is trolling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO