PS3 Freezing.

This is a discussion on PS3 Freezing. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Alright, I'm ready to throw the system out the window. I recently switched the hard drive in my fat PS3 ...

PRO Member

PS3 Freezing.

Alright, I'm ready to throw the system out the window. I recently switched the hard drive in my fat PS3 from a 160gb to a 500gb, and followed all the steps perfectly. I restored all the files on the system, and everything seemed fine. Then I started playing ICO.

Now, when I boot it up, I get the messages about the "hard drive being corrupted" or "hard drive not found" at least one of every three times. And when it does load up, it freezes, guaranteed, within a half hour of loading. I've done the method of rebuilding the hard drive by holding the power button (I've done this at least a dozen times), and everyone who's tried this says it worked for them. It didn't work for me.

It took four tries to beat ICO before the game would go all the way through the credits without freezing (and that's 35 minutes of gameplay...each time) and now I'm on the speed run. I've done the same Graveyard part about 15 times, and EVERY SINGLE 'EFFIN TIME it freezes before I can get to the couch to save.

Any help? Do I need a new hard drive? A new PS3? Any suggestions appreciated. I'm beginning to hate ICO, and this used to be one of my all-time favorite games. Thanks.
    My PS3 Plats:
    Assassin's Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Beyond: Two Souls, God of War, God of War II, Heavy
    Rain, ICO, inFAMOUS, inFAMOUS 2, L.A. Noire, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten
    Sands, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Sly 2:
    Band of Thieves, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves,
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, The Walking Dead: Season One
    My PS4 Plats:
    Apotheon, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, inFAMOUS: Second Son, Murdered: Soul Suspect

Quartercircle Forward.

But does this happen with every game... or only ICO?

Sigs & Beyond [Requests].
    Want a Sig/Banner/Avatar? Click here!

Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

deviantART
    Awesome Sig Gifted by Prosthetic. Epic avatar by Kid420247.

-My Soul Calibur V Match Thread!-

Death is Awaiting....

Try Rebuilding your Database #4 option on the recovery menu.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by D1mech View Post
    But does this happen with every game... or only ICO?
    Yeah, this is a critical question. Please answer.

Also consider that if you are restoring it is possible restored data can become corrupt.

I know it has happened to me before. Try deleting everything that isn't critical (themes, old game (not save) data, etc).
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

A plat a month!

I had the same problem when I switched hard drives, except I was getting a ton of freezing in Valkyria Chronicles. I'm guessing it was a bad sector on the hard drive. When I got a different hard drive, none of the freezing happened.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Press and hold your power button on your system base and dont let go until you hear 3 beeps. After the 3 beeps the system will shut off..Once that happens press and hold your power button again for yet another 3 beeps ( Making a total of 6 beeps) After the 6th beep you will see a blue screen with 6 options on the screen. Highlite option #4 and follow the steps. If It keeps freezing after you rebuild your hard drive then your systems about to go out on you. I had a 80 gig and it kept freezing on me. Later came to found out my system had the yellow light of death around 3 months later. The system freezes do to a massive over load and its not good for your system. You can have geek squad take a look at your ps3 or find a local person that can work on your system. Better off than shipping ur ps3 in to sony =*(

~~Krauser~~

PRO Member

I am now officially screwed. I tried options 2, 3, and 4 in Safe Mode, and all worked for a short period of time (3-10 minutes) before it froze again. I tried backing up the system, and after 75 minutes of saving, it froze at 98%. I called Sony, and they said to update the firmware through an external drive. I did that, and after that, when trying to back up the system, it wouldn't get past "Preparing" phase.

I turned it off and back on, and it said the file system is corrupted and will be restored (a message I've seen MANY times over the past two weeks). It did. It turned off, and I got the message again. I let it do this 4 times before I gave up. When I select option 4 it can't even find the hard drive. So now I have a corrupt hard drive stuck in an infinite loop of restoring itself, and all my saved game files from 3 1/2 years are trapped inside.

I'll go to Best Buy tomorrow and exchange the bad hard drive, assuming they don't pull any return policy crap (it's only 2 months old). Bright side, I'll have a working PS3 with a nice, big, empty hard drive. Bad side, I'm starting from scratch. Thanks to the suggestions, though.
    My PS3 Plats:
    Assassin's Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Beyond: Two Souls, God of War, God of War II, Heavy
    Rain, ICO, inFAMOUS, inFAMOUS 2, L.A. Noire, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten
    Sands, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Sly 2:
    Band of Thieves, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves,
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, The Walking Dead: Season One
    My PS4 Plats:
    Apotheon, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, inFAMOUS: Second Son, Murdered: Soul Suspect