FFXIII-2's Producer Would Bring Changes To A Final Fantasy VII Remake

This is a discussion on FFXIII-2's Producer Would Bring Changes To A Final Fantasy VII Remake within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Many Final Fantasy fans have spent years begging for a remake of the PlayStation 1 classic FF VII, but have ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

FFXIII-2's Producer Would Bring Changes To A Final Fantasy VII Remake

Many Final Fantasy fans have spent years begging for a remake of the PlayStation 1 classic FF VII, but have you stopped to consider how the game might change in its new form? As confirmed by Final Fantasy XIII-2 producer Yoshinori Kitase, the team at Square Enix would likely make some big changes in a remake.

Speaking with Official Xbox Magazine, Kitase explained why he wouldn't be willing to do a straight port of all the content and systems of the original game:

"If I may speak as a game creator, if we were to produce a remake of VII, for example, I would be really tempted to delete things and add new elements, new systems or whatever because if we were to make exactly the same thing now, it'd be like a repeat.

"It'd be an issue of repetition and not as much fun to make such a game. So I'd be really interested in rearranging games or reshaping games into something slightly different even though it's supposed to be the same game. But if we did that, the fans might be disappointed or 'this is not what I was expecting' so in that sense maybe some might say that it's better to let memory be memory."

Kitase doesn't bring up any specific examples of what he would change, but one segment that fans often forget about is the bit where Cloud cross-dresses to infiltrate an enemy compound. I have a feeling that would be a little more difficult to pull off in a modern big-budget game in a way that doesn't come off as crass or silly.

What do you think? Are there any changes you would want Kitase and crew to make, should they ever finally decide to remake Final Fantasy VII? Or do you agree that the game might do better just remaining a memory?
    Source: FF XIII-2's Producer Would Bring Changes To A Final Fantasy VII Remake - News - www.GameInformer.com

PRO Member

Thanks for that info. I always thought it would be cool to have it just the same, but remastered...I agree now that it just shouldn't be touched and left as a memory.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Nope, nothing

I read this last night

Let's just face it: A HD 3D remake of Final Fantasy VII isn't going to happen.

Square's responses to questioning over a much-requested remake have always been a bit cautious. The 'we here your cries but have no current plans' sort of responses.
    But Final Fantasy XIII producer Yoshinori Kitase's finally given the candid answer we sort of knew anyway - it'd take too long and cost too much.

Here's his full response, spoken during an interview with our friends at OXM:

"In the transition between XIII to XIII-2, it was quite easy because obviously we kept all the data and the engine - we had just finished using them so it was almost like they hadn't gone cold. The technology was already warm and ready to use, so it was quite good. Also within the team, we still had a feel for the game, it was still new to us, still lingering with us, so we were ready to move on to the sequel.

"But if we were to take one of the past Final Fantasy titles and make a sequel to it, I think that would be a lot more challenging because when they were on PlayStation and PlayStation 2 their actual game volume was a lot bigger, kind of.

"Graphically they weren't as advanced as they are now, but there were lots of towns and worlds and cities and whatever. So if we were to recreate the same kind of game - sequel or not - with the same volume, but give it a much higher level of graphical quality, it would us take three times, four times, even ten times longer to make such a game. So making a sequel for an old game would be a lot more challenging."
    Source: computerandvideogames.com

So...it's just not going to happen..

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

i wish people would stop taking about final fantasy VII. square is never going to do anything with this game. people should just stick to the ps1 final fantasy VII

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

im not going to lie,but yeah i would absolutely kill for this to be on ps3,id love it,really love it but having said that i do believe that maybe the game should be left alone as i personally wouldnt want it tinkered with,well not to much anyway as ff7 for me was just flawless.so yeah probably best left alone unfortunatley and it probably wont happen anyway like Chambers says

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Lvl 7 - Gold

Every time I think of how great it would be to have the remake, I think of how much the would frack it up, and I don't want it so bad anymore. If a remake were to occur, it would have to keep the same materia system, combat system, storyline, side quests, etc. The only thing different from the original would need to be graphics, voice acting, and additional sidequests and monsters (meaning in addition to all of the originals).

I'd hate to see them piss all over the holy Final Fantasy VII by making fifteen types of Flan and only three other families of monsters. Yeah, I'm looking at you XIII. Lazy bastard.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Yeah that's the whole thing with this extremely touchy Final Fantasy VII remake subject, that people don't realize how much of an effort it would take to pull the concept of making it look like a game for this generation. I am sure that if Square Enix's treatment of an HD remake were closer to something that resembles 3D Dot Game Heroes than something like Final Fantasy XIII in terms of visuals, that the project wouldn't be such an enormously time and financially costly venture, but I also doubt that any of the people who want the remake would be anything close to satisfied with something that didn't look like the visual feast of today's blockbusters.

I'm glad that the people at Square Enix are finally saying what most of us knew to be the case all along with the possibilities of a remake, and hopefully this can finally quiet at least a couple of the people who keep insisting for remakes, so that Square Enix can work on attempting to bring us the next numbered Final Fantasy installment; and in doing so, attempt to capture a new generation of fans, and offer something that can appease those of us who love the series.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Platinum Dohvakiin

And here in lays the rub with FF7. A lot of people want it remastered. But as I've been saying for years now. You just can't update the graphics with FF7. The entire game would have to be updated and overhauled as well. Which means it's only going to be FF7 in name and basic story. Which will piss of the hardcore fans to no end. SE knows that, and the odds of them touching that game are slim to none. It's a lose- lose situation for Square. The best anyone can hope for. Is a Final Fantasy game that's inspired by seven. But a direct remake or remaster I wouldn't hold my breath on. Square may occasionally piss off their fans. But to overhaul FF7 would be like them having diarrhea and taking a dump on the FF7 fan base.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Nope, nothing

I would be extremely happy with FF6, 7, 8 and 9 on one disc in HD. Can't imagine that would be so hard, would it?

Platinum Dohvakiin

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    I would be extremely happy with FF6, 7, 8 and 9 on one disc in HD. Can't imagine that would be so hard, would it?
    It wouldn't be hard to do. But putting them on a disk also turns very little profit. It's just more financially beneficial to Square to just release them digitally than physically. And no matter what any publisher may say. It always comes down to the bottom line, profit margins and PR spin.

PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Nope, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    It wouldn't be hard to do. But putting them on a disk also turns very little profit. It's just more financially beneficial to Square to just release them digitally than physically. And no matter what any publisher may say. It always comes down to the bottom line, profit margins and PR spin.
    Yeah that's true, I was going to buy them on PSN when they came out (I think I did buy FF7 actually)...I just want trophies

Platinum Dohvakiin

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    Yeah that's true, I was going to buy them on PSN when they came out (I think I did buy FF7 actually)...I just want trophies
    I understand where you are coming from. I was actually hoping that Bethesda would trophy patch Oblivion. But I knew that it wasn't going to happen in reality. Because they wouldn't get paid for it.
    Sometimes I think Gamers forget that the Gaming Industry is a business. Just like the Gaming Industry forgets that Gamers do not have unlimited funds. While they nickle and dime us to death.

PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Nope, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    I understand where you are coming from. I was actually hoping that Bethesda would trophy patch Oblivion. But I knew that it wasn't going to happen in reality. Because they wouldn't get paid for it.
    Sometimes I think Gamers forget that the Gaming Industry is a business. Just like the Gaming Industry forgets that Gamers do not have unlimited funds. While they nickle and dime us to death.
    Yeah man I wanted that patch too

And yeah you're right, it's all about the money at the end of it...a little love would be nice once in a while

Lvl 4 - Silver

A remake would not be what people will want it to be, and it would never recapture the experience of playing the original for the first time. The whole issue should just be dropped.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

I do have the digital versions of FF7, 8 and 9 all from PSN, but yes, trophy patches for those games would be nice, but no, that would be impossible. Up to this day, we have not heard of any trophy patch for any PSX (PS1) game at all, but only PS2 ones. That being said, I agree with Kitase that it would take far too much time to remake FF7 by today's modern standards; FF7 was just HUGE, with so much content that it would dwarf FFXIII by far.

But still, there is no harm to still hoping, no? Let me get into my time machine and check out the future for you.... *never comes back*.
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Lvl 8 - Gold

And that's why classics should be left alone.