Japanese PS3 slim import

This is a discussion on Japanese PS3 slim import within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I'm hoping some folk here can provide a wee bit of insight and experience on this matter. I'm gonna be ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Japanese PS3 slim import

I'm hoping some folk here can provide a wee bit of insight and experience on this matter. I'm gonna be getting myself a Japanese PS3 in December and I'm slightly concerned about the power supply. The store said I needed to buy a stepdown converter since I live in the UK, but I've been reading that the PS3 has a universal power supply so it can work in all regions(I've read some folk just use an 8-power cable to replace the one included). However, I've read about folk's PS3's power going on them as soon as they turn the console on...and that's the last thing I want.

Has anyone had any experience on this? Would it be wiser just to buy the converter? Or does anyone know for a fact that it'll be safe to buy another 8-power cable and use it instead? Cause I don't really want my new PS3 blowing up on me.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

Lvl 5 - Silver

Im not sure but i would recommend you go into a electronics store like curry's or dixon's and ask a member of staff what they think because they would probably know best.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by xENDZEITx View Post
    Im not sure but i would recommend you go into a electronics store like curry's or dixon's and ask a member of staff what they think because they would probably know best.
    Well they wouldn't necessarily know what is - for every specific piece of hardware (ps3 in this case) however, asking will definitely not hurt.

Also I would suggest that stepdown converter for just in case. These things are cheap, and you'll be sure not to burn your precious new console.

Platinum Dohvakiin

I bought my daughter the Japanese Final Fantasy 13 Edition of the PS3. The thing is yes the power supply is universal. The part that plugs into the wall is not. You could just buy a PS3 power cord after it arrives. And it should work fine. I just bought the power converter at a hardware store for like $6. The down side is, you wont be able to watch DVD's on it. Because those are region coded. Or at least the our dvd's don't work in her PS3. But her tv has a built in dvd player so that's a mute point for her anyway.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Quartercircle Forward.

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    I bought my daughter the Japanese Final Fantasy 13 Edition of the PS3. The thing is yes the power supply is universal. The part that plugs into the wall is not. You could just buy a PS3 power cord after it arrives. And it should work fine. I just bought the power converter at a hardware store for like $6. The down side is, you wont be able to watch DVD's on it. Because those are region coded. Or at least the our dvd's don't work in her PS3. But her tv has a built in dvd player so that's a mute point for her anyway.
    I think platz said it best: Just buy a regular PS3 power cord (you can get it locally). I think that's the best way to get around it.

Sigs & Beyond [Requests].
    Want a Sig/Banner/Avatar? Click here!

Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

deviantART
    Awesome Sig Gifted by Prosthetic. Epic avatar by Kid420247.

-My Soul Calibur V Match Thread!-

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    I agree with this method.
    I bought a PS3 in the Philippines during my trip there and I knew for sure I needed the converter because the power differences from where I live and in the Philippines were different. Also, DVD's won't work as indicated but Blu-Ray will work because that's not region locked.