Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

No more trophies

This is a discussion on No more trophies within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Yeah I pretty much have to say, play games you like don't play for just the trophies. I like getting ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Yeah I pretty much have to say, play games you like don't play for just the trophies. I like getting trophies they push me to 'find' things in the game that without them I'd say "Meh, screw it" but generally only if their fun. I've had a blast getting the platinums on all 35 I have.

I just feel bad for you going back to that time burglar WoW. I wasted 3 years of my life on that crap, I will never play/pay for that garbage again. The attitudes of people on those servers is so elitist, at least with PS3 trophy hunting you don't have to deal with that. Just my take.

Kid, not loser

Without trophies I would never play a game more than once unless it was awesome. Even though struggling to get a trophy takes alot of work its worth it to me even if I dont enjoy it completly cause in the end I enjoy syncing my trophies, comparing them with friends and seeing how far I can go as it is a competition with me and I feel like Im winning with every ding I hear.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHorror View Post
    A new plat! But I just realized that nobody cares but me...
    That's not completely true. I love competition, so seeing people with higher levels than mine makes me wanna play more. Don't get me wrong I mainly play for the game/story, but the trophy aspect of it amplifies the game for me. But then again that is just me.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

if you want to give up on getting trophies that's fine nobodys forcing to get them it's too late for me I'm too addicted to them now lol

Plat Card by Wadefan1 Avatar by Chambers35

Lvl 9 - Gold

I agree with you, DoomHorror. I've been on a real trophy kick recently just because there have been a lot of big games coming out, but for the most part, I still play most of my games just for me. As I'm pretty sure I do have some form of OCD, I definitely get plats/100% for myself. I like just looking at my trophy list and seeing either the little icon next to a game, or a whole row of 100%'s after I've played through a series of Telltale Games. To me, at least for now, it feels like one more thing to complete in a game, besides just getting 100%, as there are sometimes trophies for doing the most random things.
    But I've also found myself lately basing purchasing decisions on what the trophy list looks like. Not just whether I can get the plat, but whether I could 100% a download game as well. I don't consider this too bad, as I have plenty of games I have yet to finish, a few I haven't started yet, and I know there are plenty more coming out.
    So, I try to look at it as, of all these games I would enjoy playing, which one will I be able to get the most trophies in while still enjoying the game? Most games with multiplayer or "beat on SUPER FUCKING INSANE" trophies, I avoid, just because on principle, I like to enjoy my games on Normal or Easy, and I don't tend to enjoy too many games that take themselves so seriously as to include (imho) too many difficulty levels (stares at the Mass Effect franchise).
    In the end, if you can hold yourself to your own determination of enjoying a game despite whatever the trophies might be, and you're happy with that, then truly, more power to you. You've managed to escape the grasp of trophies and still retain gamerhood. Congratulations!

PRO Member

My old account with all the platinums on it....18 to be exact, got banned...RIP YourMomIsAHoe.

Now at least I don't care about trophies because of that. Blessing in disguise

Lvl 7 - Gold

I went through a similar experience with Final Fantasy XI. I played that game for the better part of five years before I grew to view it more of a chore than anything. Something about spending hours fighting the same boring enemies, doing the same damn Dynamis events in the hope that a single AF drops and hoping that nobody beats your lot just left a bad taste in my mouth. And unlike in WoW soloing was pretty damn hard, well for most jobs and considering that my job was a dime a dozen, SAM which was a DD, party invites weren't exactly frequent. Unless of course you were 75 and then you had the opportunity to go into a TP burn party and those were exciting for all but 5 minutes.

However with trophies, I don't find myself with your problems. I play games that I like and even if the plat seems hard I still attempt them. I don't plat games that I don't like though, some during the first few hours I decide whether or not I'm going to plat it. Deus Ex and Rage fell into this category and despite their average-ness I decided to just play them for fun, well at least in Rage's case. Deus Ex I decided to just stop playing probably because the main character was too much a dork.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Eh, just buy the games you want to play. Going for 100%/Platinum is fun but there will always be games that you still want to play even though a plat isn't worth the time. For me, an example of that is Mortal Kombat. I've always loved the series and that won't change (as it hasn't since 1993 and ABACABB on my Genesis) Just because I don't dump 2 months of consecutive playing time into it doesn't mean I love it any less. We all hit that point with a few games and even I admit sometimes I go away from games I'm somewhat interested in if it has a bunch of online trophies which I hate because I don't like online play a lot, but that's only with games I was on the fence with to start.

It was always in my nature to explore and get every possible thing back in the SNES, Genesis and PS1 days. I was always meticulous and trophies are just a fancy way of dressing up what I have always tried to do, but just remember that they're games. They're fun. Don't turn them into work.

Quartercircle Forward.

Well, I can surely understand your viewpoint here. I like to plat all my games (reason being, I'm quite the completionist) plus trophies add somewhat of a challenge, which is pretty fun. With some games, the 2nd run through is enjoyable and reasonable (Uncharted 3, Castlevania, Need for Speed.) Others tho, do feel like a chore.. for example, I liked Dragon Age 2... but I really DON'T feel like a 2nd playthrough (even though I will eventaully do it ). Other games require boring grinding for certain trophies (Star Wars, TFU). But all in all, I enjoy seeing that trophy pop up, and in the end I feel pretty satisfied when I've completed a challenge of sorts.

Regarding WoW: Yea, that sh*t is addictive, wasted 1 1/2 years playing that rubbish, stay away from it like the plague. The community is elitist as F¬ck >_<'

Sigs & Beyond [Requests].
    Want a Sig/Banner/Avatar? Click here!

Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

deviantART
    Awesome Sig Gifted by Prosthetic. Epic avatar by Kid420247.

-My Soul Calibur V Match Thread!-

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by YumeOMiru View Post
    Curios, which games?
    In no particular order: Valkyria Chronicles, Folklore, CoD4, and The Orange Box.

Yes, I know TOB was ported by EA, and no that isn't a big deal.

If we expand it out to top-25 you can include: MGS4, R6: Vegas, and Heavenly Sword.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 6 - Silver

people who play games just for trophies are trophy whores

Vive La Révelation!

I actually understand bro, I mean I get frustrated with platinum’s sometimes too. That’s why I always play a game on my first play through without going for trophies. And then I play it again I just clean up and get the plat. And it makes it far more enjoyable that way.
    Avy & Signature by the Legend, Bladia.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

i try to get as many trophies as possible and the platinums as well, but if i cant do it then oh well, not a big deal, i try to get games i will enjoy playing, not just for trophies, almost every game on my list is a game i had fun with, not just a portal to easy trophies, i do sometimes get too focused on the platinum and lose some enjoyment in the game, but i try to reign myself in and just play games for fun because thats what its all about, entertainment value

Lvl 1 - Bronze

i know what you mean, when i first got my ps3 i bought games for the fun of playing them, but over the last year or 2 i started buying games for their trophies and plat's, but now i just can'tbe bothered to spend hours of annoying myself over trying to get a plat, so now im trying to balance trophy hunting with fun games that i enjoy to play, basically i'll try to get all the trophies for games that i buy, but if i start to get really annoyed over getting the plat, them i'll just give up and look into playing another game for a bit, but i might go back to it later on if it was a good game to start off with.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I know the feeling, trophies can be fun but at the same time..destroy you.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

It depends. I'm playing Skyrim and couldn't care less about the trophies, and even when I get the platinum I'll still be playing that epic game.

Retired

Well, this should be the thread where everyone's stories are shared

I buy the games I like whether the platinum is hard or not, but I just have (an obsession if you will) to get the platinum! I never buy games for trophies, but I spend countless hours trying to get them.

Look at my plat collection, mostly easy plats, but I love/loved all games that I platted.

Lvl 7 - Gold

i buy the games i like no because they have an easy plat. i try to get plat as much as possible but if i don't mangae i still enjoy the game

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by undrey View Post
    Well, this should be the thread where everyone's stories are shared

I buy the games I like whether the platinum is hard or not, but I just have (an obsession if you will) to get the platinum! I never buy games for trophies, but I spend countless hours trying to get them.

Look at my plat collection, mostly easy plats, but I love/loved all games that I platted.
    Well I may as well join the party

I started trophy-hunting and my plan was to plat every game in my profil. After 15 plats I started to play some games that were just so boring and have alot of grinding trophies, in that point I started to understand to evaluate my platinums hunting again, and therefore decided to only plat games that I enjoy regardless the difficulty and I dont care about plat/100% every game in my profil.
    I consider myself an average player with ALOT of dedication which I can get any plat I want if I focus on it cause of my dedication.
    After reaching 60 plats I started to evaluate my trophy hunting (gaming's habit) for the second time, because I find myself changing games very fast and thats annoyed alot plus I didnt have time to replay my favorite games. Then I decided to slow the rate of plating my games, so I have more time to enjoy getting trophies/platinum and in the same time to enjoy my favorite games without stressing out

So my advise to you is to enjoy your games and earn trophies while you do that. Dont turn it into a job.
    Quote of the week:
    "For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories." - Plato

The One and Only

I felt the same way when playing Need for Speed: The Run on Extreme difficulty before realizing that I didn't need to play through the whole run on Extreme. Man that game gave me problems for doing that and now I enjoy it less from the reminiscence of those times whenever I play the game besides multiplayer. With that said, I almost gave up trophies for that game and soon all together. After I hit 1,000 and 15 plats I don't know if I even want to bother anymore.

Do what you think is best for you personally man. Don't let games bring you down from trophies, and play for fun.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast