Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

No more trophies

This is a discussion on No more trophies within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; This is more like a personal thing... Don't know who to share with. Recently decided to go back to world ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

No more trophies

This is more like a personal thing... Don't know who to share with.

Recently decided to go back to world of warcraft, the start was ok... I didn't raid for a long time - I found myself doing achievements only. I had ~8k achievement points, but here comes the bad part.. I felt like I must do it (not because I want to, but because.. well I have no idea why) it long became like a chore, doing the same daily quests every day, farming the same crap every day, yet I kept coming back for no reason. I had to get away. Soo... 7 years of life - piss off. I deleted all my characters, made a level 1 and went to the city to curse on everyone and got myself banned forever. No more WoW.

But then I look at it - and I see that my relationship with PS3 is not much different. Lately I've been avoiding getting games that I might like - because their plats were too hard, and often times getting a plat is a chore in its own right. The rewards? A new plat! But I just realized that nobody cares but me... It was the same with the games that I already owned - Bioshock, I beat the game on normal and I loved every second of it. However to try and get plat I had to play it on survivor difficulty with no vita-chambers, so I start it up - and I get frustrated to hell in the first hour of the game, so I ragequit. Now I hate the game.... and all for what? For nothing. And it's all my own fault too -.-'

Basically I decided - screw the damn trophies, I'm just gonna play the games to enjoy them, and beating the game will be the goal, not getting the plat.

Since then - I switched RAGE from nightmare to normal - and I love every second of it! I generally suck at FPS so this gives me a good challenge on its own, yet doesn't frustrate me to hell. It's been said that the game is ~10 hours long, so far I'm on 15 hours, and only now they're sending me to infiltrate the authority. I LOVE IT.

I'm sure that occasionally I will find a game that is just too damn fun to actually get the trophies, in that case I will get them (games like Fallout 3, Tekken 6 and Burnout Paradise were fun to plat!) but as it is - I'm gonna be considering trophies as an added bonus, and not something to search perfection in - cause there will always be people who are better at it than me, and in the end nobody cares but me. I really think that trophies ruined games (for me, not overall, but for me personally) cause I didn't enjoy them as much. Well not anymore - I'm playing for fun only!!

Just wanted to share... dunno if it's even the right place to post this but hey.

Knowledge is King

i love games with hard platinums. the great ones have hard plats, sure, but the games themselves more than justify the time spent to go for that 100%. I've been playing uncharted 2 multiplayer for the 100% there and even though I'm well into the mix and the trophies are incredibly difficult the game still wows me with how much fun it is even now. Don't buy games purely for trophies- I made that mistake with terminator and eat lead. play the games you love and play them to the fullest extent

PRO Member

Good luck with whatever you decide for you future gaming career. I, for one, can enjoy a game and enjoy trophy hunting at the same time. I'm a completionist by heart, so gathering trophies isn't a chore anyway. For example, I'm finishing up everything in AC:Revelations.... even the stuff not required for a trophy. Currently playing a lot of Skyrim and loving it... I can play a full day without getting a single trophy. If you are not enjoying something then don't do it.

Lvl 9 - Gold

"Lately I've been avoiding getting games that I might like - because their plats were too hard"

Wut? I think you have OCD if you avoid getting game just beacuse you cant "100%" it. May need to find real help, makes life easier and game more fun.

Listen to my story might help you : I have poped in around 40 games to my ps3. I play them I like and ignore the boring one. One time I even just poped a game in , got to start menu and...thatīs all, never touched that shitty game again. Hereīs the fun part and might relieve you. I have plated NONE of this game, not even the game I love and played the hell of.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

A plat a month!

A new plat! But I just realized that nobody cares but me...
    Thats the sentiment that I've been "struggling" will for a while now. I love to see my ranking go up when I see myself on the leaderboards when I get trophies, and I love the feeling when I see a green arrow next to my name, but you are right... to others, its meaningless.

I'm not ready to give up hunting trophies just yet, and I don't see that happening in the near future. However, if I know there is a game I will like, but the looks very difficult, I'm still gonna get the game. My problem though is when I do get a game, I won't put it down until I've gotten the , regardless if the game has lost its enjoyment.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by MatCauthon View Post
    If you are not enjoying something then don't do it.
    That is pretty much what I decided to (not) do now. Because previously I was obsessed with trophies / achievements, and had to get them even if I didn't enjoy doing it.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by YumeOMiru View Post
    "Lately I've been avoiding getting games that I might like - because their plats were too hard"

Wut? I think you have OCD if you avoid getting game just beacuse you cant "100%" it. May need to find real help, makes life easier and game more fun.

Listen to my story might help you : I have poped in around 40 games to my ps3. I play them I like and ignore the boring one. One time I even just poped a game in , got to start menu and...thatīs all, never touched that shitty game again. Hereīs the fun part and might relieve you. I have plated NONE of this game, not even the game I love and played the hell of.
    No I don't have OCD - I don't rent games, and buying them is kind of a big deal, cause I can't afford many (especially lately...) so getting the most bang for the buck is what I meant by "not buying games that I might enjoy because of hard plats", it was more like "not buying those games in favor of others that i will also enjoy, but with easier plats".

PRO Member

Yes. Do what you will have fun with!

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 9 - Gold

Well, I guess you solved your own dilemma. If you ever forget, just remember why games was made in the first place.

And, about not affording games, you know local libraries lend out games for free right?
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

PRO Member

Trophies are one of those difficult things because, naturally, you are the only one who cares about your trophies so telling you not to care is reliant completely on you.

I'd just ask you: "Are you playing for the trophies or the games?"

If you don't like the answer to that question, you can change it.

If you like the answer to the question, just embrace that viewpoint.

4 of my 10 favorite games this generation don't have trophies, and I have no qualms with that.

I had an issue in the past with trophies, but I moved on when I realized that the game is more important than the trophies and I don't need to choose trophies or games. I still like getting plats, but I don't force it anymore. I have no problem abandoning a plat-hunt as soon as it stops being enjoyable.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    This is a common practice, unfortunately, because of the nature of what trophies are and the types of people who tend to game.

I know its easier said than done, but if you are avoiding buying games because they have hard plats: Get over it and buy the games anyway.

Trophies are one of those difficult things because, naturally, you are the only one who cares about your trophies so telling you not to care is reliant completely on you.

4 of my 10 favorite games this generation don't have trophies, and I have no qualms with that.
    Curios, which games?
    Hand-bra Jeans

Medaka Box

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by YumeOMiru View Post
    Well, I guess you solved your own dilemma. If you ever forget, just remember why games was made in the first place.

And, about not affording games, you know local libraries lend out games for free right?
    Yeah, I just needed to share it with someone Thanks for reading!

On the second part of your message - "local" may be different for you and me. Here in Latvia libraries don't lend out games, afaik there's only 1 "gaming" shop in the whole city (and I live in the capital too) and games are way overpriced there. There are of course game sections in big electronics stores but those are overpriced as well. Best thing for me is to buy games from amazon.co.uk and have them imported. Moderately new games cost ~30 pounds and the prices go down as the game gets older. I got Bioshock for just ~10 pounds new, and with free shipping!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

yea hes right I've toned down a lot when i get trophies now sometimes they ruin games especially if its some mindless collecting trophy or doing a ridiculous challenge now ill get as much trophies as i can and if i dont get the plat im fine with it

PRO Member

What a long comment to share LOL
    Just do what u want there s nothing to say xD

Lvl 7 - Gold

I had an issue in the past with trophies, but I moved on when I realized that the game is more important than the trophies and I don't need to choose trophies or games. I still like getting plats, but I don't force it anymore. I have no problem abandoning a plat-hunt as soon as it stops being enjoyable.
    Well I already made the choice man - now I'm only playing for the fun of it - as soon as it becomes not fun I stop right there and do/play something else until I will want to pick that game up again. I just really needed to share my experience with someone, cause you know, letting go of something that you were doing so dearly is not an easy thing to do. Well with PS3 it was not so hard, cause I got in to current gen of gaming only in late 2010, was much harder with WoW...

Huge Gaming Backlog

I've had that feeling where you feel like it's a chore to plat a game. I only feel like that on games I don't really get into. The only plat in my collection that was a chore for me was Red Faction. The only reason I went for the plat was because after my first playthrough I had unlocked most of the trophies. I only needed one more playthrough and that's where it became boring. All my other plats are from games that I enjoyed finishing.

I also have games that I enjoyed playing but don't have the plat for because of the chore that's involved. Games like GTA4, Crysis, Bioshock 2. All games that I felt didn't need multiplayer, so I wasn't going to sit around wasting my time on trophies like "Reach Level 50".

So what I'm trying to say is pick games you enjoy and then if you decide to go for the plat it won't be such a chore.

Wicked Slipknot Sig and Avy by Shadow Guru: Kid420247

Lvl 9 - Gold

Sad to hear about expensive gaming in your country. My country practically beg us to game. Why else would there be 5 copies of every newly released game for free grabbing here?
    Hand-bra Jeans

Medaka Box

The Old Guy

Yeah, I've kind of come to the same place. I think you have to try to maintain a good mix. I still start a game with the goal of getting the platinum, but there are several I've quit playing in the last year or so that I may or may not ever go back to, and I'm ok with that. Last year at this time, I wouldn't have been.

Games should be about having fun. For a lot of people (myself included), getting trophies generally adds to the fun of playing a game, but if I find myself in a situation where I'm either not having fun with the game itself anymore, or trying to get the trophies is draining the fun out of it, I have no problem putting the game down and playing something else.

Me & Ming @ The Stash

This is exactly how I feel trophies, now.
    I'm playing Skyrim, MW3 & 3D Dot Game Heroes right now. I'm pretty sure I'll plat Skyrim because it seems to be easy, but the game is fun. I doubt I'll plat MW3 because I don't want to do the spec-ops missions, its not fun. I haven't got far into 3D yet but I guarantee I'll have fun playing, plat or not.
    Remember this, Fun>Trophies

Awesomeness thanks to:Thunder for platbar | Bladia for sig | Sigs & Beyond

Lvl 3 - Bronze

oh man, i feel quite the same lately... i'm tired of getting plats but for some reason, i wanna get trophies. I've looked at several trophy guides already and it seems too much of a chore to finish one. I mean, I wanna first enjoy the game and then if i feel like it, I'd go platinum the game. But yeah, good decision I will be doing the same. Try to enjoy games!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast