Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Questions to Playstation 3D Display Owners

This is a discussion on Questions to Playstation 3D Display Owners within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Gauss Do you have any idea what those robots would cost if they went mass production? Not ...

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Do you have any idea what those robots would cost if they went mass production? Not to mention most of these humanoid robots are still too slow and cumbersome to have any real use. Those things are research in a nutshell. On the open market they have no value. Who is gonna buy a robot that costs more than most cars
    i would.

i always wanted a little robot that can do awesome shit

illegal in 9 countries

The Playstation 3D Display is now going for $299 on BestBuy. I imported one to Oz a couple of days ago and it's great as a dual-purpose PS3 & PC display for gaming, but it's not fantastic if you're looking for just a PC or PS3 display.

Here's my first impressions -

Like all Sony / PS hardware, the hardware build is solid and can't really be faulted at a glance. It looks like an over-sized PSP with the speakers cleverly concealed to the sides of the screen. I wasn't expecting in-built speakers, so that was a pleasant surprise. It should be noted that it is a display and not a TV, which is a little disappointing for the full retail price.

3D gaming remains little more than an eyebleed-inducing gimmick and the Sony glasses are incredibly uncomfortable, so they'll see very little of my gaming time, as I expected, but I might whack them on for the occasional 3D flick. I found that instead of improving depth-perception in 3D, crap just sorta pops up into the foreground with little warning and the overall experience made me feel like a drunkard stumbling around in a whirling blur. Graphics quality is also sacrificed for 3D to run smoothly - gaming in 3D looks shithouse compared to the non-3D mode.

The screen is glossy, but not enough to bother me as my man-cave has adequate shading. The bigger problem is the reflections you get in the periphery of the 3D glasses...it's quite distracting to see stuff behind you while attempting to concentrate on the screen in front.

The display controls aren't easily accessible and it doesn't come with a remote, which makes switching between PC & PS3, as well as changing the volume, a hassle. If you're looking at buying one of these displays, fork out $20 for the new PS3 Media/Blu-Ray Remote while you're at it. Sadly I didn't, but my Bravia remote works for volume and mute.

The speakers could be better, sounding tinny and shallow with no bass to speak of. The audio settings can be tweaked so it's not a complete fail, but I use headphones with my PS3 so it doesn't affect my gaming. Honestly, you can't expect the world for a display that only costs a couple of hundred bucks to manufacture, so set your audio expectations low.

Negatives aside, my PS 3D Display was purchased to replace an aging 24" Dell PC screen and to allow full HD PS3 desktop gaming, since I use a keyboard and mouse for PS3 shooters. There's a 52" Bravia a few feet away for all other PS3 games, so the PS 3D is very much a secondary display and it more than does the job i bought it to do. To date I've been running a 27" iMac with a Kanex XD for desktop PS3 gaming which works fine at 720p, but it does look a bit smudgy as it runs at half the iMac's native resolution.

The display handles all PS3 requirements with ease and looks the goods at 1080 and 720, although you do need to sit pretty close thanks to the small screen-size. A modest step up to 27" would have been a vast improvement - the PS 3D Display looks positively tiny next to the iMac's 27" screen. That said, it's perfectly adequate for the desktop on PC or PS3 with the blackest blacks I've seen to date, so no real complaints.

Unlike my Dell display, changing screen resolutions for PC games (some games don't run / run well at high-res) is handled gracefully and for the first time in 6 years, I don't want to pull my eyes out if the screen's not displaying at the native resolution. I prefer to run GPU-intensive games at lower resolution, so the PS 3D Display works a treat. That alone was worth the price of entry for me - it's leagues ahead of my old display which looked horrid at anything but 1920 x 1200.

It should be noted that nVidia does not currently support the PS 3D Display for PC gaming, but that may come in time. I wouldn't be surprised however if it never happens, as the PS display is a niche gamer's toy and will never see mainstream popularity, nor will it be available at retail within a few months.

In summary - I like the PS 3D Display because I enjoy playing with gaming peripherals & accessories and wanted a single screen for a PS3 & a PC. If you're like me, you'll more than get your money's worth as an all-in-one desktop gaming display, but it's more expensive & smaller than dedicated PC displays and it'll never replace anyone's 40"+ TV for the PS3. Nor should you buy this as a cheap 3D gaming display - 3D is nothing but a few shits & giggles that goes hand-in-hand with eyestrain, headaches & environmental confusion...IMHO it's just not worth the effort.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 12-24-2011 at 08:39 AM.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I've had mine for about 6 weeks. I just spent time writing answers to each of the questions here, but then I wasn't logged in, so previewing my post erased everything I wrote, grrrrrrr.. Oh well, the short version now.

I bought an overbed table with tilt for this monitor. Using the table, and a clamp to fasten the monitor, I have an amazingly maneuverable, comfortable and panoramic viewing experience while laying down on my comfy bed. It's awesome. I can move the screen as close as 15" from my eyeballs, and it's sweet!

The sound of the headphone jack is noisy, but useable. The 1080p, glossy-screen, image quality is gorgeous; so long as you don't mind the smaller size from a distance, and the need to have light sources set behind the monitor. Any light that can reflect off this screen, will reflect off this screen. It's glossy, not matte, deal with it.

3D is promising and I enjoy it. The size of the pixels in 3D PS3 gaming are made about 4 times as large.. so detail takes a definite hit, but it's in 3D! If you like 3d, like me, the image quality is acceptable. It will only get better from here on out. SuperstardustHD reveals that this tv is capable of display a crisp(er) 3D image. That game is a sign of the image quality we can expect for more complex games as the PS4 rolls around.

Basically it's like this: Playing in 3D takes you back to the days of the SuperNintendo/Gamecube, BUT IT'S IN 3D! I hope to be playing "PS3 looking" games IN 3D by the time that the PS4 rolls around. For now, I'm happy to take the detail hit in favor of some immersive depth. The number one thing I want eradicated from my 3D gaming is ghosting. All PS3 Games, bar SSHD, have ghosting issues. These are not fun, but I still prefer the 3D over 2D for gaming. But Sony, KILL GHOSTING!!

Crocodile Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by finalmattasy View Post
    The number one thing I want eradicated from my 3D gaming is ghosting. All PS3 Games, bar SSHD, have ghosting issues. These are not fun, but I still prefer the 3D over 2D for gaming. But Sony, KILL GHOSTING!!
    that has nothing to do with sony or the games, its the TV's

tvs are not made as well as they used to be or like PC screens where they can run for weeks on end without turning off, these days companys cram as much as they can into a tv but make less quality products, and with the current price of flatscreens continuing to plummet( due to china making cheap no name brands) companies are actually LOSING money on each TV they make.

If you dnt believe me i suggest talking to the technicians of the company you bought from who go on calls out to 'fix' tvs or faulty ones etc NOT the shop floor salesman.

As for the price drop of flatscreens i cant rememeber the sites i saw it on but i assume you can google it

Sig by Apokolypz

illegal in 9 countries

SuperstardustHD reveals that this tv is capable of display a crisp(er) 3D image. That game is a sign of the image quality we can expect for more complex games as the PS4 rolls around.
    Thanks for the suggestion (SSHD), i've haven't tried it in 3D yet. Every other 3D game I've played (Killzone 3, Motorstorm Apocalypse, Crysis...among others) has left me underwhelmed with PS3 3D. A game running at 1080p with no image degradation might scratch my itch.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    that has nothing to do with sony or the games, its the TV's

tvs are not made as well as they used to be or like PC screens where they can run for weeks on end without turning off, these days companys cram as much as they can into a tv but make less quality products, and with the current price of flatscreens continuing to plummet( due to china making cheap no name brands) companies are actually LOSING money on each TV they make.

If you dnt believe me i suggest talking to the technicians of the company you bought from who go on calls out to 'fix' tvs or faulty ones etc NOT the shop floor salesman.

As for the price drop of flatscreens i cant rememeber the sites i saw it on but i assume you can google it
    whaaa, the tv is the Playstation monitor.. the subject of this thread. You may be right about the source of the ghosting problem, but I hope that since one game works well (sshd), that more will work well in the future.

It stands to reason that a differing amount of ghosting with different games (from zero to tons) seen on the same television, indicates that the monitor isn't necessarily at fault.

I'm holding out hope that Sony will back their gaming monitor with games that are well calibrated for the monitor. Stereoscopic is an understandably precise technology, and with all the different companies taking a crack at it, it's understandable that the timing of certain sets is different (more and less precise, but also just different) than the timing of others. Hopefully I bought a set that Sony will ensure gives an ideal representation of it's games on. We shall see.
    Having said that, I'm sure the representation would be more ideal if the PS brand set cost more to make and buy.
    Last edited by finalmattasy; 01-10-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion (SSHD), i've haven't tried it in 3D yet. Every other 3D game I've played (Killzone 3, Motorstorm Apocalypse, Crysis...among others) has left me underwhelmed with PS3 3D. A game running at 1080p with no image degradation might scratch my itch.
    Yeah, sshd still has downgraded graphics like the others, it's just that the ghosting is practically non-existent.

illegal in 9 countries

Quick update - there's a dirty .inf hack to enable Nvidia 3DTV Play for PC games. I'll have a crack at it and post the solution if it works.

Crocodile Hunter

whaaa, the tv is the Playstation monitor.. the subject of this thread. You may be right about the source of the ghosting problem, but I hope that since one game works well (sshd), that more will work well in the future.

It stands to reason that a differing amount of ghosting with different games (from zero to tons) seen on the same television, indicates that the monitor isn't necessarily at fault.

I'm holding out hope that Sony will back their gaming monitor with games that are well calibrated for the monitor. Stereoscopic is an understandably precise technology, and with all the different companies taking a crack at it, it's understandable that the timing of certain sets is different (more and less precise, but also just different) than the timing of others. Hopefully I bought a set that Sony will ensure gives an ideal representation of it's games on. We shall see.
    Having said that, I'm sure the representation would be more ideal if the PS brand set cost more to make and buy.

oooppss i didnt read it haha i just saw 3D and tv..... sorry lol

Sig by Apokolypz

illegal in 9 countries

For the PC boffins, Playstation 3D Display works with Nvidia 3DTV Play.

1. Download http://blog.bagearon.com/downloads/NVIDIA-UN-3DTV.inf
    2. Go to Device Manager and update the Monitor driver using the "Have Disk" option to load the inf file.
    3. Make sure the Nvidia Stereoscopic drivers are installed. Simply update the video driver and select it as an option on install.
    4. Download the 14 day trial of Nvidia 3DTV Play and install.
    5. Use the Nvidia control panel to set up Stereoscopic 3D. Choose either 1920x1080 @ 24Hz or 1280x720 @ 60Hz...there are only two options for HD 3D.
    6. Run the Nvidia 3D test and increase the Depth effect to taste.
    7. Fire up a PC game, click Ctrl+T and you're up and running. Not all games are supported, but Nvidia claims 600 or so are compatible.
    8. Don't forget to turn your glasses on stupid.
    9. If you like PC gaming in 3D, spring the $40 for the Nvidia software licence. If not, uninstall and go back about your business.

I just played a quick game of Left 4 Dead on Steam and it kills in 3D compared to PS3.

So it turns out that I do get my PC+PS3 3D gaming fix from the Playstation 3D Display afterall. 3D gaming is still a bit like masturbating with a cheesegrater (slightly amusing but mostly painful), but the Sony hardware does the job.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I didn't care for SSHD. Seemed like a gimmick still. Your playing on the 24in 3d tv? Well that's the main problem right there... Atleast imo. 3d is not meant for small tv's. You need to have the size for the 3d to actually work properly. KZ3 in 3d was INSANE on my 60in dlp. Motorstorm 3d was alright and so was Wipeout. Most games that are in 3d from what I've played so far, it's all just a gimmick to throw 3d into the mix and help sales. But KZ3 and Resistance 3, looked fantastic. I just wish companies would do it right when they do it. Now I haven't checked out the PS3 bundled display, but I can't imagine myself enjoying that tv at all. The only thing that looks good about it is the simuview technology.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    I didn't care for SSHD. Seemed like a gimmick still. Your playing on the 24in 3d tv? Well that's the main problem right there... Atleast imo. 3d is not meant for small tv's. You need to have the size for the 3d to actually work properly. KZ3 in 3d was INSANE on my 60in dlp. Motorstorm 3d was alright and so was Wipeout. Most games that are in 3d from what I've played so far, it's all just a gimmick to throw 3d into the mix and help sales. But KZ3 and Resistance 3, looked fantastic. I just wish companies would do it right when they do it. Now I haven't checked out the PS3 bundled display, but I can't imagine myself enjoying that tv at all. The only thing that looks good about it is the simuview technology.
    The 24 inch display is fine on the desktop, it fills as much of my vision at a couple of feet as sitting a few metres from a 50"+ TV, so that's not a problem. It's not a TV, it's a display which is intended to be used on the desktop at close range, which is perfect for using my Xim3 kb/m adaptor to play console shooters, and to swap between PC and PS3. 27" would be much better, but I'm happy enough with the screen size and the 3D effect works AOK.

After giving it a solid few hours playing Crysis in 3D I'm gonna back down from my comment as it applies to FPS games, the zero gravity levels looked particularly trippy. Add the 5.1 surround sound headphones into the mix and it was probably the most immersive gaming experience I've ever had.

A couple of other updated observations...

The problem with the 3D pop-in and disorientation was much more evident in Motorstorm due to the speed. Why they package the game with the Playstation screen is beyond me, it creates a poor first impression. When things aren't moving at such a fast clip, the 3D is pretty comfortable. In FPS, there's a cardboard cut-out feel to the depth effect, but to my surprise I'm finding that I'm actually playing better as a result.

The discomfort I felt from the 3D glasses not sitting right on my nose and compressing into my ears when wearing headphones is alleviated by also wearing my corrective glasses, which I rarely do. There's plenty of room under the 3D glasses to fit them in and the 3D glasses' arms slide along the top of the other pair, making them much more comfortable around my nose and ears.

Part of the problem I have with 3D is I can see the glass lens flickering as it refreshes. Maybe it's 20 years of staring at PC screens that makes it noticeable and distracting, but I've adapted enough for it to not be an impediment.

I'll also retract the PC vs PS3 comment to some degree - although a wider variety of games is supported on PC at higher resolution with crisper textures, comparing apples to apples in Crysis at 1280x720, I found the PS3 to be a much more comfortable experience and it looked clean with no obvious loss of quality in 3D compared to 2D. The PS3 version is certainly no oil painting compared to PC, but it's serviceable. I also far prefer the PS3 button mapping in Crysis, so that's a big plus.

While Left 4 Dead looks great in 3D on PC, it's older brother Counter-Strike: Source is utterly horrid. The 3D looks fine, but the aiming reticle in the foreground doesn't align with your vision as you target an enemy in the background. Instead you have to focus on the reticle rather than your target in order to aim straight...bleh!

I'm warming up to this 3D thing Minarum, I honestly didn't expect to, which is why I dipped my toes with the 24" display instead of a big-screen TV. I'll give Killzone 3 more than a cursory glance and Resistance 3 will be added to the collection soon, so thanks for those recommendations.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 01-11-2012 at 08:33 AM.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    i would.

i always wanted a little robot that can do awesome shit
    You would? Because I'm serious about the "more than most cars" thing.

And its not like they can do much, there are plenty of cool robots out there but most of these humanoid ones aren't meant to have utility.

I'm an engineer, I can appreciate how difficult it is to get a robot to actually walk like a human over various types of terrain. I can appreciate how difficult it is to actually map VR commands to actions. These are research questions, they are a stepping stone to something useful.

I'll reference ASIMO from Honda, simply because I know alot about him. From an engineering standpoint it is astounding that he is able to walk, recognize faces and voices, as well as gestures (he can shake hands), etc. I can appreciate how difficult it is to solve these problems, and even more so in an elegant fashion.

Thing is its not a particularly useful product when you consider the price tag. It only operates a few hours at best before needing a re-charge, its max speed is a pretty standard walking speed, while it can recognize alot of things its not adaptive and its not programmed for a specific utility. It just does stuff.

I called them research in a nutshell for a reason, thats what they are.

I know you will buy into alot of dumb stuff (most people on this forum do, we are gadget people), but its usually reasonably priced dumb stuff.

This thing would be in the multiple tens-of-thousands of dollars though. I just find it hard to believe even die-hard gadget people would drop that kind of cash on a humanoid robot, particularly when none of them have a clear-cut purpose outside of just "being cool..." Which will get old fast after the reality of that cleared check the seller cashed sets in or the first few payments of the loan you took out to buy it are paid.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 9 - Gold

The 24 inch display is fine on the desktop, it fills as much of my vision at a couple of feet as sitting a few metres from a 50"+ TV, so that's not a problem. It's not a TV, it's a display which is intended to be used on the desktop at close range, which is perfect for using my Xim3 kb/m adaptor to play console shooters, and to swap between PC and PS3. 27" would be much better, but I'm happy enough with the screen size and the 3D effect works AOK.

After giving it a solid few hours playing Crysis in 3D I'm gonna back down from my comment as it applies to FPS games, the zero gravity levels looked particularly trippy. Add the 5.1 surround sound headphones into the mix and it was probably the most immersive gaming experience I've ever had.

A couple of other updated observations...

The problem with the 3D pop-in and disorientation was much more evident in Motorstorm due to the speed. Why they package the game with the Playstation screen is beyond me, it creates a poor first impression. When things aren't moving at such a fast clip, the 3D is pretty comfortable. In FPS, there's a cardboard cut-out feel to the depth effect, but to my surprise I'm finding that I'm actually playing better as a result.

The discomfort I felt from the 3D glasses not sitting right on my nose and compressing into my ears when wearing headphones is alleviated by also wearing my corrective glasses, which I rarely do. There's plenty of room under the 3D glasses to fit them in and the 3D glasses' arms slide along the top of the other pair, making them much more comfortable around my nose and ears.

Part of the problem I have with 3D is I can see the glass lens flickering as it refreshes. Maybe it's 20 years of staring at PC screens that makes it noticeable and distracting, but I've adapted enough for it to not be an impediment.

I'll also retract the PC vs PS3 comment to some degree - although a wider variety of games is supported on PC at higher resolution with crisper textures, comparing apples to apples in Crysis at 1280x720, I found the PS3 to be a much more comfortable experience and it looked clean with no obvious loss of quality in 3D compared to 2D. The PS3 version is certainly no oil painting compared to PC, but it's serviceable. I also far prefer the PS3 button mapping in Crysis, so that's a big plus.

While Left 4 Dead looks great in 3D on PC, it's older brother Counter-Strike: Source is utterly horrid. The 3D looks fine, but the aiming reticle in the foreground doesn't align with your vision as you target an enemy in the background. Instead you have to focus on the reticle rather than your target in order to aim straight...bleh!

I'm warming up to this 3D thing Minarum, I honestly didn't expect to, which is why I dipped my toes with the 24" display instead of a big-screen TV. I'll give Killzone 3 more than a cursory glance and Resistance 3 will be added to the collection soon, so thanks for those recommendations.
    My glasses flicker like once every 5minutes or so. Other than that it is pretty solid, and they are comfortable. I could wear them for days, but I also wore glasses for 20 years of my life. But I agree with the Motorstorm comment. The 3d is good at a slow pace, but being fast... You don't exactly see it that great except when dirt flies in the air. Which is why I said it was just ok. Now KZ3 on my big screen, I only played the betas, and it was easily the greatest FPS/3d experience I've ever had, specially with the move. Shit blowing up everywhere coming out of my screen. The depth at 100% 3d effect was pretty awesome. R3's 3d was the same way. Not as intense, but it was rather enjoyable. But I think people should give it a chance before writing it off as a gimmick. Specially if or when they play shitty 3d gimmick games.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Played most the 3d games on my Samsung 40" LED only a couple looked taccy rest of them was quality Resistance3 and Avater the worst culprits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12