Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions to Playstation 3D Display Owners

This is a discussion on Questions to Playstation 3D Display Owners within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I wanted to get a 3D Monitor, not the fake ones like alienware popped out and requires a specific graphics ...

INTJ

Questions to Playstation 3D Display Owners

I wanted to get a 3D Monitor, not the fake ones like alienware popped out and requires a specific graphics card to use, but a True 3D monitor where it actually has the technology built in, not software-made.

That massively limits myself down to the PS monitor. It's the cheapest one that doesn't require me to replace my graphics card with and isn't a gigantic ass TV That costs thousands of dollars. Plan to connect my Ps3/Xbox 360/ and PC via HDMI on it ( I know it has two ports, ill just switch it when i want to use one)

also im planning to get the best buy deal that popped up, where you get a monitor and PS3 for 599$ ( need more homebrewing PS3s to make the ultimate homebrew setup)

Good Deal: PlayStation 3D Display and a 160GB PS3 for $599.99 | The Verge

"But 3D Is terrible blah blah blah no one cares about my opinion"

I am not here to discuss your views on how your eyes can't handle 3D. Mine can last hours on 3D Glasses without strain, so i Love 3D technology.

So questions about it:

1) I heard the Glare is fucking horrifying, is this true (saw one in-store but i rarely saw glare, but it wasn't in a well lighted area.)

2) Is the 3D Good? I don't know if it is or isn't. Everyone says it is and all the display monitor show off crap in stores either have "Display non-working" versions of 3d Glasses or are completely turned off because the employees are incompetent at how to fix issues with monitors.

3) Does anyone have any good in-depth reviews on the thing? i can only find retarded first look articles everywhere, the rest are just terrible reviews bitching about how the screen is small (it's a fucking monitor basically, which is what im using it for.). the Verge does a good review but i never heard of them before so i dont know if they are trustworthy.

4) Any retarded issues with it that arn't listed in any reviews?

thanks

Lvl 5 - Silver

What is "the ultimate homebrew setup"?

PRO Member

I have myself a Sony Bravia 3D TV and is awesome gaming with it the 3D experience is cool but i recommend using 1h for the health xD

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by S810666 View Post
    What is "the ultimate homebrew setup"?
    media center/ snes, n64, dreamcast emulator heaven

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    media center/ snes, n64, dreamcast emulator heaven
    Ok cool.. I use my pc for that stuff, with a tv..

INTJ

i don't have to bother setting up bluetooth stuff and all that (Sixaxis controllers are a pain like that). jailbreaking and homebrewing much easier.

Crocodile Hunter

I have a 50" LG 3D plasma and im not sure wether you think this is a valid tv but ill voice my opinion anyway

To answer your questions.
    1. im not 100% sure what you mean by 'glare' but mine does reflect very brightly the sun which can get annyoing at times usually means i have to get up and close the curtains, but that is prob just the location of the tv its self.

2. this will be a very biased answer for every1 i think on if THEY like it or not, im inclinded to say its nothing special, nothing leaps out at me and its kinda just a lil bit fancy graphics really. if you are buying the TV just for the 3D i personally think its a waste of money as anything with '3D' means at least an extra $300..... but if you wear glasses the 3D ones are designed to fit over the top of htem which is great if you wear glasses already< interesting fact i got told about>

3&4. the one thing i have noticed with mine is that it burns into the screen very quickly if i leave it on pause for over 2-5 minutes, they are not designed as good as old tvs as the technology is somewhat new, so if you get a plasma always turn the tv off or switch to calbe tv or something if ur taking a break...if you get a LCD or LED that might fix it im not sure cause I have a plasma.

If you have the money to go for the 3D i say get it so you just HAVE the option to use it if you want it, ive only used mine 3 times and ive had it a few months now so yeah

Sig by Apokolypz

PRO Member

I haven't bought one of these yet, but have been researching it myself because I was curious about it for my PC setup. Been debating on the 3D issue and the SimuView stuff is probably the coolest thing ever... I'll tell you what I know based on the last few weeks of my research.

1) I heard the Glare is fucking horrifying, is this true (saw one in-store but i rarely saw glare, but it wasn't in a well lighted area.)
    This is one of those weird issues because, in my opinion, no HD display handles glare really well. I think Sony was trying something here in the nature of the way they made the screen. The screen doesn't really scatter reflected light like a regular HD display will, where light that hits the screen will be given a wide, but dull cone directly outward over wide angles, the end result is everybody sees a little bit from most angles.

With this one, because of the way the plastic is treated in the screen. It reflects light outward directly... Although I wouldn't take it as far as many reviewers do by calling it a "mirror," there are still alot of optics going on to dull the reflection, and I never felt like the reflected light over-powered the image.

My current LG HDTV has the same treatment on the side around the image (where the power buttons are), I find as long as the TV is sitting at a slight angle to me (or the light is at a slight angle to the TV), there are no issues. Same thing worked when I went when I tried this guy out, if I was in a well lit room and the lights were at an angle relative to the TV such that I was in the path of the reflection, it was rough.

If its just overhead light whose reflection was above, below, or beside my line of sight, the glare was no issue (the one benefit of having a non-scattering material).

2) Is the 3D Good? I don't know if it is or isn't. Everyone says it is and all the display monitor show off crap in stores either have "Display non-working" versions of 3d Glasses or are completely turned off because the employees are incompetent at how to fix issues with monitors.
    I've yet to be really wowed by any 3D. This one included.

I know you don't want any comments on 3D tech and its value, so I won't go into any of that. The above statement is my point on this display's 3D though.

I wasn't wowed by it, doesn't mean its bad, but I wasn't like "HOLY SHIT! THIS IS AWESOME!" either. I felt like it had all the same cool features as the larger Sony 3D displays, but it also had all the same shortcomings in regards to viewing angles and the nature of the glasses.

Side note, don't know if you know the glasses thing: they are active shutter glasses, so you have all those standard problems. Sony's glasses have a better viewing angle than most, but its still only about 45 degrees from center at best.

I guess you could say this is a pretty good 3D screen, but its not really a leap forward from any other screen. Its waaaaaay better than anything you'll buy in that price range, but its not really stellar.

3) Does anyone have any good in-depth reviews on the thing? i can only find retarded first look articles everywhere, the rest are just terrible reviews bitching about how the screen is small (it's a fucking monitor basically, which is what im using it for.). the Verge does a good review but i never heard of them before so i dont know if they are trustworthy.
    I ran into the same problem, I had to do alot of digging on my own in the specs and spent a good 2-3 hours messing with it. I am really hoping an outlet like Tom's Hardware gets ahold of one and reviews it soon.

I haven't read all of the reviews, but I didn't encounter any non-technical issues that weren't covered by a review (stuff like it not coming with a remote, or the buttons being on the back, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    the one thing i have noticed with mine is that it burns into the screen very quickly if i leave it on pause for over 2-5 minutes,
    Yeah, that is because of the Plasma. This Playstation display is edge-lit LED... There will be no burn-in concerns because it will take an unreasonable amount of time of the same image to be displayed before burn-in will start taking place.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

I really havent seen any glare on mine but that could be because my room is not a well lighted area and not alot of sunlight get in. I havent experienced any glare from turning the lights on in my room.

So Far ive only Watched the Tekken movie that comes on the Tekken Hybred disc and the 3d looked great. I am sure you already know you cant see anything 3d unless the game or movie you are watching supports 3d (some people dont actually realize this).

not that i know of.

The one thing I thought was pretty dumb was that it does not come with the remote control. My biggest concern is how long its life span will actually be but that is something i can not answer.

Sig and Avatar By djunglist

My Youtube interview done by KingSuperOne(subscribe)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SAMFW-gDNs

Lvl 9 - Gold

For the price you really can't beat it specially with the Ps3 included for $100 extra now(atm). I haven't seen anything wrong or bad about it. But for my standards, SimuView is the coolest thing out right now, but the Tv is too small for me. I'm not going to buy a small tv for that kind of price just for SimuView. When they implement it into the 60+ in tv's, yah. I'll definitely eat that shit up .

Real Life Alchemist

If it wasn't that expensive I'd even consider it but right now I'm not in the mood to buy something like this! I'll stay with my Samsung tv ^^

Lvl 9 - Gold

Can only answer quest 2:

Tried that screen at my Sony center ( played Killzone 3 , not Motorstorm)

The 3D is so laughable that I sometimes wonder if we have taken a step back in our evolutionary ladder. I mean is supposed to add depth and make things feel more "awesome" ,instead it takes away colour and brightness in exchange for walls and floors in-game looks like paper mache. Itīs not tiresome for the eyes but just make it look dull and unappealing.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by YumeOMiru View Post
    Can only answer quest 2:

Tried that screen at my Sony center ( played Killzone 3 , not Motorstorm)

The 3D is so laughable that I sometimes wonder if we have taken a step back in our evolutionary ladder. I mean is supposed to add depth and make things feel more "awesome" ,instead it takes away colour and brightness in exchange for walls and floors in-game looks like paper mache. Itīs not tiresome for the eyes but just make it look dull and unappealing.
    That also goes back to what I was referring to as far as size of tv goes. 3d in small tv's do it little to no justice. Now try the same game on a 60+ inch tv, LED, DLP, doesn't matter. KZ3's 3d on a big screen is insanely nice.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

1.) I wouldn't know since I haven't seen one in person.

2.)It has a 240Hz refresh rate which means that is has 120Hz refresh rate for each frame. I would assume that the 3D is fine.

3.)Review: Sony PlayStation 3D Display -Destructoid

His review seemed pretty honest and straight forward. What I got from it is, it's a solid intro level 3D display (you can't really compare computer monitors to it unless they come with glasses and etc. and the last time I checked they are all really geared towards nvidia's 3D which is a totally different technology) and the speakers in the TV are pretty crap. Granted, if you are like me (I have $150 USD creative labs gigaworks speakers hooked up to my PS3) you won't really care about the TV's speakers because they are usually crap anyway and don't compare to actual speakers.

4.) Honestly, 3D is up to the viewer. I personally don't care for it, though the next TV I buy will have it just because I would like the option and having a 240Hz refresh rate is just great for 2D display. I've heard great things with 3D and games (Like how it's apparently awesome gauging someone's eyes out in KZ3 with the 3D on), but again it's entirely up to you.

I personally wouldn't buy it, but I'm not in the market for a 3DTV. If I were, I'd consider it.

INTJ

i actually bought one and i have to say sony once again excelled in the hardware department.

it's probably the best monitor i ever bought. problem is my ATI card software hates me (fucking Catalyst Control panel won't fucking load right) so i can't do 3D yet on my pc games but the PS3 really has Awesome 3D goin on.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

i actually bought one and i have to say sony once again excelled in the hardware department.

it's probably the best monitor i ever bought. problem is my ATI card software hates me (fucking Catalyst Control panel won't fucking load right) so i can't do 3D yet on my pc games but the PS3 really has Awesome 3D goin on.
    Oh. My. God. Rare praise from you for Sony, and the PS3? The world must be ending soon... nope. Well, I am glad you enjoy your Sony purchase! Have you tried out the SimuView yet? ^^
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    Oh. My. God. Rare praise from you for Sony, and the PS3? The world must be ending soon... nope. Well, I am glad you enjoy your Sony purchase! Have you tried out the SimuView yet? ^^
    PS360 just hates how Sony runs their business and all the PS3 exclusives except LBP. Always has stood by that.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    Sony's Software side: gigantic Pile of shit (XMB Menus, Drm Practices on Music discs, Terrible Game ideas that are then made into generic games with paid reviews, etc.)

Sony's Hardware side: Masters of the universe (Vita's hardware getting stuffed into that small space, Televisions are godlike, Abio Dogs, Qiro robot, Ps3 Hardware when using homebrew, etc.)

Hell i could probably make a whole thread on qrio alone about why it's so awesome.

too bad sony hates innovation and canceled it.
    Last edited by Ps360; 12-05-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Sony's Software side: gigantic Pile of shit (XMB Menus, Drm Practices on Music discs, Terrible Game ideas that are then made into generic games with paid reviews, etc.)
    See I agree with you on XMB due to it just being a huge mess still on the PS3. But everything else, wtf are you talking about? I've personally never witnessed any DRM on music discs, but terrible game ideas with paid reviews? Ok. Show proof, and not speculation or opinions.

On the flipside, I'm glad you enjoy the 3d and your new tv. It's too small for me, but the 3d is pretty fking amazing when done right. Most movies haven't figured it out yet, except anything Disney.

PRO Member

too bad sony hates innovation and canceled it.
    Do you have any idea what those robots would cost if they went mass production? Not to mention most of these humanoid robots are still too slow and cumbersome to have any real use. Those things are research in a nutshell. On the open market they have no value. Who is gonna buy a robot that costs more than most cars?

Their robotics division isn't canned though, they spun off into a new company. Last I checked their headquarters were in Europe, but they became their own company and I haven't kept track of them since.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast