Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red Cross Wants to Stop people in-game from violating geneva convention

This is a discussion on Red Cross Wants to Stop people in-game from violating geneva convention within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The Escapist : News : Red Cross Investigating Virtual War Crimes The International Committee of the Red Cross may want ...

INTJ

Red Cross Wants to Stop people in-game from violating geneva convention

The Escapist : News : Red Cross Investigating Virtual War Crimes

The International Committee of the Red Cross may want the rules of the Geneva Convention applied to videogames.

At the 31st meeting of the International Committee of the Red Cross, held this week to discuss many issues in modern combat throughout the world, a smaller panel was convened to discuss videogames and the effect they have on the public. Specifically, the Red Cross investigated several games that depict modern warfare and examined whether the rules of the Geneva Conventions governing protections for wounded soldiers, civilian non-combatants, and prisoners of war should be applied to videogames.

"While the Movement works vigorously to promote international humanitarian law (IHL) worldwide, there is also an audience of approximately 600 million gamers who may be violating IHL in the virtual world," reads the description for the discussion. "Exactly how videogames influence individuals is a hotly debated topic, but for the first time, Movement partners discussed our role and responsibility to take action against violations of IHL in video games."

For those of you unfamiliar with the Geneva Conventions, here's a fifteen second history lesson. The First Geneva Convention was held in the city of Geneva in 1864 and all the major European powers at the time ratified an agreement dictating the engagement of war and guaranteed protections for wounded and sick soldiers. The Convention agreed that medical personnel are protected and soldiers would not be experimented upon or tortured. As war changed, the Convention met three more times and included more nations, the last of which, in 1949, outlined the international humanitarian law that is upheld in all modern warfare today by nearly all nations on the planet. The International Committee of the Red Cross, formed in 1863, organized these conventions and is instrumental in keeping their tenets observed during warfare.

So what does any of this have to do with Modern Warfare 3?

"Participants were asked: 'What should we do, and what is the most effective method?'" continued the description for the discussion. "While National Societies shared their experiences and opinions, there is clearly no simple answer. There is, however, an overall consensus and motivation to take action."

There was also a video "promoting" the event, which seems to draw comparisons between scorekeeping in sports events and scorekeeping in online shooters.

While it is certainly worthy of discussion how so many games depicting warfare don't actually uphold the rules of engagement which govern behavior in modern war, I fail to see what the Red Cross can or should do about it. Any attempt to write laws or rules about how war can be portrayed in a game would be doomed to failure. The Geneva Conventions have no jurisdiction over our imaginations or creative works, and The Red Cross cannot dictate whether a movie hero tortures a non-combatant or blows up a bus full of nuns on the way to saving the President of the U.N.

fuck off

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

dear red cross,

stick to what your good at

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

damn templars
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    fuck off
    Bingo.

/tooshort

Lvl 1 - Bronze

For fuck's sake! First its video gamers are murderers, then our brains are somehow wrong, now its were violent cuz in games we disrespect international law! They'll cling to anything they can so they don't have to admit that despite all the bullshit they throw at us, video games and video gamers ARE HERE TO FUCKING STAY.

As to the Red Cross specifically, fuck off and stick to saving lives. It's all your good at. And anyway, video games aren't supposed to be real.

Lvl 5 - Silver

While it is certainly worthy of discussion how so many games depicting warfare don't actually uphold the rules of engagement which govern behavior in modern war, I fail to see what the Red Cross can or should do about it. Any attempt to write laws or rules about how war can be portrayed in a game would be doomed to failure. The Geneva Conventions have no jurisdiction over our imaginations or creative works, and The Red Cross cannot dictate whether a movie hero tortures a non-combatant or blows up a bus full of nuns on the way to saving the President of the U.N.
    That said everything what I have to say about this.

How about putting this energy in our real world.
    Quote of the week:
    "For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories." - Plato

The One and Only

Why do they have to blame video games of all things for their issues?

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Huge Gaming Backlog

This is bullshit. Don't they realize the people that play these games are not the ones out actually fighting in wars. They even said it themselves "virtual world". These people need to pull their head out of there ass. How many war movies are around that show unfair treatment of war prisoners (The Patriot, Inglorious Bastards, Saving Private Ryan) how come movies don't get this same treatment. They're mire real than any game and they are often based on real events.

Pissoff Geneva.

Wicked Slipknot Sig and Avy by Shadow Guru: Kid420247

Vive La Révelation!

Are you serious?
    Avy & Signature by the Legend, Bladia.

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by Xx_R3V3LAT1ON_xX View Post
    Are you serious?
    Wrong smiley.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

gamers play imaginary characters
    ruthless factions and governments play with people's lives in reality

who do you blame red cross, the video games?
    how noble of you
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Huge Gaming Backlog

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    gamers play imaginary characters
    ruthless factions and governments play with people's lives in reality

who do you blame red cross, the video games?
    how noble of you
    BOOM!
    Well said.

Wicked Slipknot Sig and Avy by Shadow Guru: Kid420247

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    fuck off
    Bingo.

/tooshort
    Pretty much what I thought.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Thankfully, this order of vampiric people have no real authority in the world. Freedom of Speech and all that jazz will not be broken here in the US to censor games any more than at the current time. Shooting up an airport in a video game doesn't make me any more of a murderer than running guns in a movie make Nicolas Cage one, although watching some Nic Cage movies have led to suicide to end the excruciation of watching a Nic Cage movie.

I have played both a doctor and successful businessman in several video games. Would the Red Cross consider me to be a good candidate to run their organization based on these qualifications? I can cast a mean healing spell in Oblivion.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 4 - Silver

So would you get thrown in jail for war crimes for killing someone in second chance??????????? Ridiculous.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanHellraiser View Post
    dear red cross,

stick to what your good at
    This. I can't believe people make so much of a fuss over video games instead of actually applying it to life first.

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

Lvl 5 - Silver

lol, what the fuck are red cross going to do about an imaginary world, which were games takes place.
    This applies to movies aswell
    PERFECT PLATINUM STREAK

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I read War and Peace once, does this mean i can get tried for War Crimes and recieve the Nobel Peace Prize?

Clearly this small panel was full of people the rest didn't like hanging round with because this is a waste of time for everyone.
    Sign here ...........................................

Lvl 3 - Bronze

geez I'd expect something this dumb from an organization like PETA, not the Red Cross.
    Trophy Hunter by day, Trophy Hunter by night.

Lvl 6 - Silver

did u get that article off of failblog?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast