a Look at Dust 514's Vehicle Fitting Menus.

This is a discussion on a Look at Dust 514's Vehicle Fitting Menus. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; DUST 514 base: DUST 514 Vehicle Fitting Screen explained Vehicle fitting will be one of the most important choices you ...

INTJ

a Look at Dust 514's Vehicle Fitting Menus.

DUST 514 base: DUST 514 Vehicle Fitting Screen explained

Vehicle fitting will be one of the most important choices you will make while preparing for battle. Therefore, I will try to explain everything as best as possible if you never played EVE Online which has very similar fitting screen. So let's get started with explaining this specific screen!

To the left, you can see list of the items that you own and that can potentially be on your vehicle as well as the Quantity (QTY). In this case, we are fitting "Madrugar", (presumably) HAV (Heavy Attack Vehicle). Every item has it's specific CPU and PG (Power Grid) usage and you need to balance those things out in order to make best fit possible for the upcoming battle.

Middle:

In the middle, you can see CPU usage to the left (those two bars and it's icon and current usage - 220 as well as maximum - 244). CPU is used, as you can see, for accelerators, shields, combat repair units, and all "buff stuff" you can imagine. On this specific screen, we fitted accelerator (number 5 next to it is indicating how many you have left) that will make our tank faster and one heavy shield that will make our tank more durable. You can also see that there are many different shields as well as shield amplifiers, resistance shields etc, and it all depends on your choice what you want to fit for the upcoming battle if you know what you are up against.

To the right, you have current PG usage (1533) and maximum PG that's allowed (2733). We fitted one PG Core, that increases overall PG, one CPU booster (or co-processor), and one "something", that looks like some sort of stabilizer. Don't hold me to this part though, because those icons can only tell the story that much, and last two are very similar to EVE icons.

In the end, bottom middle portion are indeed weapons that you've fitted. We have no idea what kind of weapons are these, but let's assume that first two are lasers of some sort (energy weapons) and last one may be some sort of projectile launcher!

Right:

Now for the "juicy" or "complicated" part! First, we have name of a vehicle, quantity and then:

• CPU, that is used by fitted shields, accelerators, all sorts of buffs,
    • PG, that is used by all the additional stuff and weapons that need power to operate,
    • Shield that is pretty much just shield of your vehicle that will absorb damage,
    • Armor is core structure of your vehicle and it should be rather high, but you may encounter "shield tanks" - vehicles that are better soaking damage with their shields than with actual armor,
    • Shield Recharge - your recharge rate (per second, probably)
    • Damage multiply - it may go above 1 if you really have some beefy weapons fitted, but usually every vehicle has 1, which is normal,
    • Movement speed is rate at which your vehicle can indeed dash through terrain, and 2400 does not really tell much, because in EVE ships usually move in km/h, and we can just assume that 2400 meters per hour then, but we shall see!
    "But man, what are those second numbers next to the first set of numbers?"

Well, those - where CPU is 202/244 is final calculation after "buffs" you've fitted. Same goes for PG, but for Shield, where first number is 1615 and second is 900 is indication that shield is lower than default value. Why is that? Very often you will be in position to sacrifice something in order to gain more on something else. In this case, we can see that this HAV is indeed armor tank, and that guy that does fitting does not really care that much about shields and instead he wants to have better PG and CPU for his tank to shoot faster and soak damage with his armor. I may be also way off with this, and it may happen that Shield is just simply lower due to your lack of skills or something completely different, but let's say that orange color does not indicate good thing and that green gives you thumbs up!

Again, these are speculations on some of the points, don't take these as 100% certain until we actually get our hands on the game, but you do get the bigger picture now how detailed vehicle fitting is and how big level of customization already is.

Kiwi Defender

Well, that looks incredibly interesting. Let's hope the game lives up to the hype.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

Wait...

Its a memorperger!
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

The only sane person here

This game is gonna confuse a lot of players, good thing I've played Eve Online myself.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightSparkle View Post
    This game is gonna confuse a lot of players, good thing I've played Eve Online myself.
    anyone who has a shred of intelligence can use it easily

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    anyone who has a shred of intelligence can use it easily
    Wouldn't jump that far, usability is a fickle and complicated beast. You'd be surprised how little things like placement of buttons and function names can turn a great interface into something thats total crap.

Nobody can tell me this is going to be easy to use from this article or a handful of pictures. Not to mention easy != good when it comes to HMI.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Wouldn't jump that far, usability is a fickle and complicated beast. You'd be surprised how little things like placement of buttons and function names can turn a great interface into something thats total crap.

Nobody can tell me this is going to be easy to use from this article or a handful of pictures. Not to mention easy != good when it comes to HMI.
    left slot = armor/engine upgrades

right slot = CPU Management/Upgrades (Faster Speed = More shit you can shove into it and more stuff happens faster)

Top Slot = Misc.

Bottom slot = Weaponry

Ammo goes in the inventory slots in Eve online, so there's no ammo slots in the menu.

PRO Member

left slot = armor/engine upgrades

right slot = CPU Management/Upgrades (Faster Speed = More shit you can shove into it and more stuff happens faster)

Top Slot = Misc.

Bottom slot = Weaponry

Ammo goes in the inventory slots in Eve online, so there's no ammo slots in the menu.
    Yup, but how well does it work? How is stuff added/moved? How are the categories differentiated?

What type of response is provided for the user due to their stimulus?

What you provided is the HMI equivalent of me saying "Well a car engine works pretty simply, you press one pedal and it revs the engine, you press the other and it applies the breaks. Then you got this stick off to the side to select whether you are in park, reverse, neutral, or drive."

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Yup, but how well does it work? How is stuff added/moved? How are the categories differentiated?

What type of response is provided for the user due to their stimulus?
    selecting a item from the menu, and throwing it in the correct slot.

or selecting the slot with item, and removing the item.

isn't hard to make a menu like that.

Eve online Is exactly like that in the ship customization menu, and no one complains about it.

PRO Member

Eve online Is exactly like that in the ship customization menu, and no one complains about it.
    1) Thats not true. Plenty of people do, they just stopped playing the game ages ago. EVE online is in the same place WoW is, the game has been around so long that whatever system it implements has been accepted long ago... Flaws and all.

2) I'm not saying its bad, I'm saying you can't answer that right now. Nobody can because, as far as I am aware, there hasn't been a released version of Dust 514 yet (be it open/closed-Beta, demo, or leaked game). Atleast according to CCP who claim they will start next year.

Usability (which is implied when you say people use something easily) is a very devious and deceptive mistress, its also still in its infancy in terms of being defined as a science (most HMI researchers view it as a bridge between psychology and technology). Very small things though can change how good the interface is, and I just don't like reading about how easy it is when nobody here has actually used it.

Once again, I'm not saying you are wrong... I'm saying you picked the wrong words. Even if this is the same thing EVE Online uses, you aren't interacting with the same stuff or using the same controller to interact.