Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Last Guardian/Sony exec leaves for social gaming company

This is a discussion on Last Guardian/Sony exec leaves for social gaming company within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Ps360 people have special interests in something while other people don't? shocker While that's true, there's a ...

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    people have special interests in something while other people don't?

shocker
    While that's true, there's a fitting adjective for people who oversight this kind of things and then go mad when it happens to something they like, and that's "shortsighted", which kind of fits you anyway .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    While that's true, there's a fitting adjective for people who oversight this kind of things and then go mad when it happens to something they like, and that's "shortsighted", which kind of fits you anyway .

Shortsighted is probably the least likely term to use on me.

maybe something more like "double standard bitch" or something similar.

illegal in 9 countries

Social gaming is a good way to make money if you're in the gaming business. There's a shit-tonne of cash to be made with relatively low overheads, tiny production budgets, short development schedules and low public expectations, particularly in the Freemium market that interfaces between iDevices / Android and Facebook for "games" like Mafia Wars, FarmVille etc, and surprisingly decent freebies like Gun Bros.

I've been playing my iPad pretty solidly for the last month instead of my PS3 and say what you like about casual gaming, it can suck as much time and deliver as much fun as the big budget console titles. I'm not into Freemium games and would love to see the death of them because all they do is milk pennies from suckers to play dress-ups for their digital dolls, but there are some quality mobile gaming experiences to be had.

There's definitely a market for social and casual gaming that extends way beyond core gamers and it doesn't hurt to have some grizzled gaming industry veterans inject a level of professionalism into what is predominately a shovelware domain. That is changing with the increased gaming power of the latest generation of Android, iPhone and iPads producing some decent titles using Unreal Engine 3 and the like, so expect more of the same.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Shortsighted is probably the least likely term to use on me.

maybe something more like "double standard bitch" or something similar.
    I think it fits better than you would like to admit. Its not the best term, but its not the least likely either.

Least likely would be something more like... rational.

Why does Ueda matter in this equation? And how does your enjoyment or view of SotC/ICO factor into this?

Those games are risky endeavors, they represent something I crave in gaming: An experience that is (atleast trying) to extend beyond the means of its own gameplay.

SotC, whether you like it or not, is about the totality of the experience, not necessarily the gameplay or DLC or micro-transactions or anything like that.

ant1 hit the nail on the head as to what is bugging me, and its that bolded word he has. I don't have a problem with making money, but social gaming is about the business and nothing else. Its why those games are so chalk full of micro-transactions while the gameplay is shallow and overly simplistic.

I worry that social gaming is starting to become so prevalent that it will kill true gaming before it can really flourish, and don't bring Valve into this. When it comes to this issue I'm just as worried about Valve as I am about this Bossa gaming studio.

Valve has come out and said they won't make self-contained SP games anymore, I don't know what the hell that means... Nobody does, but its been said and that bugs me in this type of gaming climate.

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Social gaming is a good way to make money if you're in the gaming business.
    And this is a really elegant summary of what is bugging me.

Its the fact that this is unabashedly about the money, not the game. Social gaming is not about the game, its about that first word: Social, and the fact that social = easy money.

This move, and more specifically what he said in the quote, is insulting to what I consider to be the real value gaming has as an art-form.

I'm legitimately worried because I see these big-name people from studios that I thought represented the type of thing I wanted in games leaving for the lowest hanging fruit.

I can't necessarily blame him (although he also can't talk about respect anymore, you can't take the easy way out then ask me to respect you professionally), but its another piece of a trend that has been going lately that legitimately scares me for the future of something I hold dear.

Despite the fact gaming as an artform is still very much in its infancy, I find alot of value in it. Dead Space/Deus Ex/UC2/Half-Life 2/etc, as an experience, was every bit as impactful to me on an emotional level as something like Catch-22. Now the stories aren't on the same level intellectually by any stretch of the imagination, I'm talking strictly about what it did to me on an emotional level. Its that rush that makes you feel alive, you know?

Not every game is great either, but I just feel like this guy is going to the writing equivalent of romance novels. They are easy and pretty much any crap you put out there is gonna make you some money. I understand that analogy doesn't have the same monetary relationship when you consider angry birds, but if you look at it from the perspective of the risk/non-monetary-value/talent that goes into it... The analogy works.
    Last edited by Gauss; 12-08-2011 at 07:32 AM.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Not every game is great either, but I just feel like this guy is going to the writing equivalent of romance novels.
    Perfect analogy.

As an art form, core gaming is now big business. Pouring your blood, sweat, tears and tens or hundreds of millions of dollars into a hit-and-miss gamble with publishers dictating the creative direction runs the risk of destroying your gaming soul at some point in time. So I can see why some of these guys are cashing out and catering to the lowest common denominator instead. Or it may be they're simply getting back to their roots and creating something for themselves that doesn't cost the Earth nor consumes every waking moment of their lives for years at a time...DoubleFine comes to mind.

I'm holding out hope that guys like Ueda aren't cashing out, instead they'll legitimise the emerging core mobile gaming scene with some decent titles in the next few years. Games like Infinity Blade 1&2, Batman Arkham City Lockdown, Bard's Tale, Modern Combat 3 & Anomaly Warzone Earth are starting to supplant the Angry Birds and Fruit Ninjas of world at the top of both the App Store sales and critical acclaim lists.

Mobile gaming is not at the level of console gaming yet (except the Vita...:drool:..) but with tools like Unreal Engine 3 in the hands of developers, it's already reaching the PSN and XBL level. With accelerometers, gyroscopes and touch controls at their disposal, there is scope for artists rather than money-grubbers to create original, fun and immersive mobile / casual / social games that can't be played on existing consoles and may shape the way we interface with games in the future.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 12-08-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Player Hater

The thing I don't like about 'social' and 'mobile' gaming is that I have never played anything that has gotten me 'involved' in the game. I am yet to unravel a decent story, yet to met characters I relate to or find intriguing and yet to play something that has turned my expectations on their head.

Sure, not every game has to have that type of energy, and yes, there are times where pick-up and play games provide entertainment. For me, however, unless I get the urge to discover more, to progress or uncover... well it doesn't matter if I play the game once, twice or a thousand times, my enjoyment of the game is not heightened. It's stagnant.

Take for example Infinity Blade. I think it's great. I love the tone. I think the 'story' is interesting too. The problem is that I'm constantly aware that the story has been created to explain away the fact you are performing repetitive looping tasks. The story, in a way, is masking the shallowness of the gameplay. Thus I don't find myself captivated, I don't look forward to whipping my phone out and getting stuck in. I just play to make my train ride to work more enjoyable. I haven't found a game on iOs that can take me outside of the fact that I'm just playing it to avoid boredom.

This is the inherent weakness of being a game designed for a system like a cellphone or Facebook. They are not made for people to invest in, they are made for people unable to make great investments of time. I have an iPhone with literally hundreds of games downloaded onto it. My favourite game? Canabalt. A side-scrolling jump 'simulator' with one command input. I love the music. I love the art-style. It's not something that I'm thinking about playing whilst the clock ticks down at work, nor will it ever be.

Besides all the above... FUCK, I HATE PLAYING A GAME WHERE THE CONTROLS ARE ON THE FUCKING SCREEN.

Can't comment too much on Facebook, as I haven't been on that for a couple of years now., but I honestly don't think I'll be dropping Skyrim to start up my account again any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    That's what you say today, but tomorrow, when some dude working at Valve does it, you'll be shitting bricks and raging all through this forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Valve has come out and said they won't make self-contained SP games anymore, I don't know what the hell that means... Nobody does, but its been said and that bugs me in this type of gaming climate.
    Gabe Newell Admits Facebook Integration Around The Corner For Valve Games

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12