Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last Guardian/Sony exec leaves for social gaming company

This is a discussion on Last Guardian/Sony exec leaves for social gaming company within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Last Guardian executive producer resigns, joins Bossa Studios | Joystiq The employment status of The Last Guardian designer Fumito Ueda ...

PRO Member

Last Guardian/Sony exec leaves for social gaming company

Last Guardian executive producer resigns, joins Bossa Studios | Joystiq

The employment status of The Last Guardian designer Fumito Ueda is still in question, but we have received official word that another producer on the title has departed from Sony. Executive producer Yoshifusa Hayama has left Sony to join UK social game developer Bossa Studios as creative director.

Hayama was a VP at Sony Computer Entertainment from 2007 until his departure (according to his LinkedIn profile), credited on a variety of PS3, PSP and Vita projects including LocoRoco 2, The Eye of Judgment, and even the Torne DVR project. He previously worked at Sega's AM2 division, Square Enix, EA, and then Sumo Digital -- which helps explain his connection to the UK game industry.

"The future of gaming is definitely online and thanks to recent developments with Flash 11, there is no reason why a social game can no longer be as visually stunning and as compelling as the big console titles," Hayama said in the announcement of his appointment (after the break). He added that Bossa plans to bring games with "3D elements" to Facebook and other social networks.
    And leaves me questioning why gaming is being raped as a median before it truly reaches any semblance of artistic respect.

The day the producer of the Last Guardian tries to convince me Facebook and social gaming is a good spot to really develop compelling games... I can't finish that sentence, am I fucking losing it?

I don't know, I'm starting to wonder if I'm reading too much into it, but I just fail to see how the culture is there.

Between this and the IGN article discussing how single-player games are going to die, I guess I'm starting to fear that gaming will never be truly at the level of film or novels in terms of artistic respect.

Am I really the only one who doesn't want to go on Facebook to play a game like SotC? Am I really the only one who doesn't give a fuck if someone knows what choices I made in Human Revolution? Am I the only one scared about Half-Life 3's execution when Newell is talking about how Portal 2 will be the last self-contained SP title Valve will make?

Yes, MP is not an ire to be eliminated. Social gaming isn't a cancer to be routed from gaming. Those things facilitate something different though, their purpose and point is contradictory to the very essence of what a truly immersive experience is...

I may watch a movie with a friend, but that doesn't implicitly mean I experience the movie with them. Sometimes its ok, sometimes I do chat during a movie and laugh with a friend. Sometimes though, I'm deliberately trying to get lost in it. I don't want someone coming in and pulling me back to the real world... And, by definition, thats what these things do, they prod me and remind me "you are gaming."

Sometimes I want to be completely lost in an experience and then talk with my friends or share experiences after I've brought myself out of it.

I'll give you an example, Dead Space is one of my favorite games this generation. Not necessarily because the story is intelligent or the scares are great, but because the Ishimura FELT REAL more than almost any other place this generation. It evoked a very real emotional response from me, and thats why I fucking loved that game.

If I have some dick-cheese ala Dark Souls chiming in every 5 minutes or leaving me flares/flags or if there was a guy running around in my game in Co-op... Well that really does detract from the experience. That game really influenced and stayed with me only because it had a completely self-contained universe that was independent of anything in my universe except my PS3.

And if it happens, this is the way gaming dies? With a flash of green from big brother with a book containing your face.

NOTE: This is not a knock on indie-gaming or smaller studios that deliver games through flash.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Harvester of Souls

The guy left working for Sony.. to go work for on things like Facebook social games and such??? Seems like a smart career move for me. @[email protected]

But seriously that's a bit depressing to think about. And no telling if his departure will have a impact on The Last Guardian or not...

As for rest of the OP, I myself hate facebook and stay away from it and all those little games, granted they might have appeal with some people, not me. Movies and games I typically like playing alone most often, though will kick back for certain movies with friends. At times will play games online, but typically only care for co-op with person nearby and rarely at that. Agree with simply being immersed alone inside the game or movie I'm playing.

As for you nit-picking on Dark Souls >:F I will admit that could get annoying but I play it alone too . Demon's Souls really enjoyed the onine aspect, but had to be in the mood for it and would simply play offline for that as do for DkS now .

Thanks for the post and keep updating on if the Last Guardian will be hurt from this move.. hopefully not and no reason it should be, but chance anyhow.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Last Guardian executive producer resigns, joins Bossa Studios | Joystiq

And leaves me questioning why gaming is being raped as a median before it truly reaches any semblance of artistic respect.

The day the producer of the Last Guardian tries to convince me Facebook and social gaming is a good spot to really develop compelling games... I can't finish that sentence, am I fucking losing it?

I don't know, I'm starting to wonder if I'm reading too much into it, but I just fail to see how the culture is there.

Between this and the IGN article discussing how single-player games are going to die, I guess I'm starting to fear that gaming will never be truly at the level of film or novels in terms of artistic respect.

Am I really the only one who doesn't want to go on Facebook to play a game like SotC? Am I really the only one who doesn't give a fuck if someone knows what choices I made in Human Revolution? Am I the only one scared about Half-Life 3's execution when Newell is talking about how Portal 2 will be the last self-contained SP title Valve will make?

Yes, MP is not an ire to be eliminated. Social gaming isn't a cancer to be routed from gaming. Those things facilitate something different though, their purpose and point is contradictory to the very essence of what a truly immersive experience is...

I may watch a movie with a friend, but that doesn't implicitly mean I experience the movie with them. Sometimes its ok, sometimes I do chat during a movie and laugh with a friend. Sometimes though, I'm deliberately trying to get lost in it. I don't want someone coming in and pulling me back to the real world... And, by definition, thats what these things do, they prod me and remind me "you are gaming."

Sometimes I want to be completely lost in an experience and then talk with my friends or share experiences after I've brought myself out of it.

I'll give you an example, Dead Space is one of my favorite games this generation. Not necessarily because the story is intelligent or the scares are great, but because the Ishimura FELT REAL more than almost any other place this generation. It evoked a very real emotional response from me, and thats why I fucking loved that game.

If I have some dick-cheese ala Dark Souls chiming in every 5 minutes or leaving me flares/flags or if there was a guy running around in my game in Co-op... Well that really does detract from the experience. That game really influenced and stayed with me only because it had a completely self-contained universe that was independent of anything in my universe except my PS3.

And if it happens, this is the way gaming dies? With a flash of green from big brother with a book containing your face.

NOTE: This is not a knock on indie-gaming or smaller studios that deliver games through flash.

Eurgh.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Also the creator of Megaman ( Fumito Ueda if I remember correctly) left Capcom to work on cellphone games, WhyTF are they doing this

Player Hater

Fuck me. Gauss, you've hit the nail on the head. Couldn't agree with you more. I don't have a Facebook account, but that doesn't dissuade me from ripping the shit out of the 'social games' on that platform. Anyone heard of Cow Clicker? We are being fed dribbled shit and expected to lap it up. This is the equivalent of Thom Yorke performing a duet with the cast of Jersey Shores. I'm really worried about 'The Last Guardian' now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito View Post
    Also the creator of Megaman ( Fumito Ueda if I remember correctly) left Capcom to work on cellphone games, WhyTF are they doing this
    It was Keiji Inafune (Fumito Ueda is in charge of The Last Guardian atm) and they are doing it because it's easy fucking money.

PRO Member

This is absurd...I mean, I use facebook for a lot of stuff, but never gaming....never

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Keyser View Post
    It was Keiji Inafune (Fumito Ueda is in charge of The Last Guardian atm) and they are doing it because it's easy fucking money.
    Yes, thank you, btw, it's just sad, I bet there would be a lot of software houses that would hire him as a real game designer, look what he did to Dead Rising 2 with Blue Castle, that's a good game imho.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I am not entirely sure if this is as much a problem with the single player genre disappearing, as much as it is a sad statement on the current state of the Japanese developer in today and tomorrow's gaming structure. This has been the first generation in which the Japanese developer's prominence on the console and triple A titles wasn't just passed up by it's Western counterparts, but almost pushed into near non-existence.

I've said before, mainly in respects to the way Square Enix, Capcom, and Konami do things more than the way SCEJ operates, but the Japanese developer is still trying to do things the way they have been doing for nearly 25 years, in the case of which they make their games in terms of staffing, production, and planning. They don't spend enough to put their titles out quickly enough because they refuse to hire help from outside their country if at all possible, they also refuse to increase the size of their production crews to the sizes that Western developers do to release games in a timely manner, and it is reflected in the amount of time it takes a Japanese game to be created comparatively to something that a Western developer would do. It appears that Sony Computer Entertainment Japan is no different than the rest of their countrymen in regards to current generation development.

I still, to this day, prefer a Japanese developed title to a Western one if given the option. I grew up with the developers mentioned above, and many others delivering the games that are ingrained into my memory as being my fondest gaming experiences. I love a lot of the things that the PlayStation 3 has given me, in terms of gaming, but I also feel that there are a lot less lasting memories at this point, because there less Japanese titles out there (particularly high-quality ones) that stuck with me.

Do I think social gaming might be the better way for Japanese developers to go at this point, with the way that games are heading? Possibly. I'm pretty sure that the next generation of games are going to take even more money, manpower, and experience with the current process to make a title, and I am not entirely sure that I want to invest $500+ into a system, when developers that I really love only release 2-5 games in it's entire life cycle from their best talent. Perhaps they are better suited to sticking with more focus on handhelds, social, and cellphone titles so that they can keep their companies afloat and make the money necessary to keep their companies running.

The Last Guardian is dancing that fine line at this point of taking far too long, and going to have unattainable expectations (like a certain Square Enix title that I won't mention). It's a sad tale, because the initial footage was so very promising, and this seems like one of those cursed projects in which so much of the news is lacking, and the only thing getting leaked at this point is the creative minds behind it leaving to other ventures. Fumito Ueda is still going to work on the project as a "freelancer" but you can already feel that his heart probably isn't in it at this point and the game that was something that seemed very special has now become something that is just a job.

I'm not ready to paint tomorrow as all doom and gloom, but I am extremely curious as to what the position of the Japanese developer in the grand scheme of things is going to be in the months and years to come.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 3 - Bronze

like angry birds, they want to make a simple fun game on facebook, and itunes, because then they make fast millions.

INTJ

ok then.

never was really that hyped for this game in the first place.

Harvester of Souls

Seems like these people would consider more about their careers before going through a move like this... If I weret he creator of megaman or worked for Sony.. I'd NEVER consider going to work on shit like prolly angry birds or farmville whatever it is..

Then again, guess they did it for own reasons .. Hell could be a front for not getting fired . As for money, I'd imagine get ALOT more from Capcom and Sony(actually prolly not capcom, they'd fuck their own ppl I'm sure) than working on little shit like facebook and cellular games.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Me & Ming @ The Stash

Well that's the dumbest goddamn thing I've read in a while. How is there even money to be made making Facebook games? Facebook is free & aren't the games free too?

Awesomeness thanks to:Thunder for platbar | Bladia for sig | Sigs & Beyond

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    I am not entirely sure if this is as much a problem with the single player genre disappearing, as much as it is a sad statement on the current state of the Japanese developer in today and tomorrow's gaming structure. This has been the first generation in which the Japanese developer's prominence on the console and triple A titles wasn't just passed up by it's Western counterparts, but almost pushed into near non-existence.

I've said before, mainly in respects to the way Square Enix, Capcom, and Konami do things more than the way SCEJ operates, but the Japanese developer is still trying to do things the way they have been doing for nearly 25 years, in the case of which they make their games in terms of staffing, production, and planning. They don't spend enough to put their titles out quickly enough because they refuse to hire help from outside their country if at all possible, they also refuse to increase the size of their production crews to the sizes that Western developers do to release games in a timely manner, and it is reflected in the amount of time it takes a Japanese game to be created comparatively to something that a Western developer would do. It appears that Sony Computer Entertainment Japan is no different than the rest of their countrymen in regards to current generation development.
    100% agree with you

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

Quote Originally Posted by stevencrowson View Post
    Well that's the dumbest goddamn thing I've read in a while. How is there even money to be made making Facebook games? Facebook is free & aren't the games free too?
    i think those games make money from stuff like micro-transactions

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

I do hope the Last Guardian is not affected significantly in any way by this, but as long as Fumito Ueda, the real genius behind SotC, ICO and now the Last Guardian, is still on board, I see no reason not to worry too much about it. But yes, the future of the gaming industry is getting a little more polluted right now, what with the ever-increasing emphasis on MP and social networking. Still, all the more reason to treasure what we have right now, the golden age of single-player games, before it rapidly evolves into the unknown. I do hope a silver lining lies in the future, and so we wait. =3
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Crocodile Hunter

I understand why he left for social media games as he would prob make more money at the moment but i still think he is an idiot to try and bring a facebook game to a console games level

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 6 - Silver

lol fail way to ruin a good run
    I still play Black Ops because me and brother have 2 PS3's and share a copy of Modern Warfare 3. So that is why I play it sometimes. Thats the *ONLY* time I play Black Ops! When brother is not playing MW3, I am!

Player Hater

Quote Originally Posted by stevencrowson View Post
    I can assure you, that after having my step-son use my Paypal account to spend $600 on Cartown, that there is indeed ways to spend money on Facebook games. I don't even have Facebook.

Kiwi Defender

Well, fuck! What's next? Hideo Kojima announcing that MGS5 will be a Facebook app?

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    ok then.
    That's what you say today, but tomorrow, when some dude working at Valve does it, you'll be shitting bricks and raging all through this forums.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    That's what you say today, but tomorrow, when some dude working at Valve does it, you'll be shitting bricks and raging all through this forums.

people have special interests in something while other people don't?

shocker

I could care less about a guy who worked on a series of games that tried too hard to be artistic while having semi-fun gameplay (Colossus is fun till you killed the 5th unique one, then it just loops with the same types of colossus but with a different easy-as-hell-to-find way to climb up it and hold the X button for the next 15 minutes while you stab the thing.)

ico is excluded from the semi-fun gameplay part (escort missions are never fun. ever. don't make a game out of it. The half life episodes at least attempted to do it right by making the person your escorting actually useful and fun to be around.)

also Ueda is a massive valve fan, he wants to make a First Person game like they do and says half life 2 is one of the few games that makes him react emotionally. He even twittered that he canceled his amazon pre-order and got Portal 2 through steam he was so ecstatic for valve games

valve should just hire him already if everyone likes the stuff he's pumpin out and he's a massive fan of the company. his games could use some valve QA.
    Last edited by Ps360; 12-08-2011 at 02:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast