Nintendo Legend Shigeru Miyamoto Steps Down

This is a discussion on Nintendo Legend Shigeru Miyamoto Steps Down within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; REDWOOD CITY, Calif. — The creator of Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda will step down from his ...

Crocodile Hunter

Nintendo Legend Shigeru Miyamoto Steps Down

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. — The creator of Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda will step down from his current position at Nintendo but remain with the company to work on smaller, more personal projects, Wired.com has learned.

In an exclusive interview with Wired.com on Wednesday, the 59-year-old head of Nintendo’s game design department said that he will move away from supervising the development of massive games like this year’s Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and Super Mario 3D Land, passing the torch to the younger designers in the company and working on projects that won’t take as long to complete.

“Inside our office, I’ve been recently declaring, ‘I’m going to retire, I’m going to retire,’” Miyamoto said through his interpreter. “I’m not saying that I’m going to retire from game development altogether. What I mean by retiring is, retiring from my current position.”

“What I really want to do is be in the forefront of game development once again myself,” Miyamoto said. “Probably working on a smaller project with even younger developers. Or I might be interested in making something that I can make myself, by myself. Something really small.”

Miyamoto said that he’s hoping to start work on a project in 2012, and hopefully show the game off publicly within the year.

“In other words, I’m not intending to start from things that require a five-year development time,” he said.

Miyamoto, whose creations propelled Nintendo to worldwide prominence beginning with 1981′s arcade game Donkey Kong and who is generally recognized as the world’s most influential and creative game designer, said he felt comfortable stepping away from supervising the Mario and Zelda games because his staff has done such a good job with this year’s critically acclaimed entries in both series.

“I’m saying this because I have a solid reaction from the existing teams,” he said. “I was able to nurture the developers inside Nintendo who were able to create something like this or something like that,” he said, gesturing to banners in the interview room in Nintendo’s office that showed the logos of Skyward Sword and Mario 3D Land.

The reason Miyamoto keeps telling the younger developers that he’s going to retire is to send the message that he won’t always be around for them to work with.

“The reason why I’m stressing that is that unless I say that I’m retiring, I cannot nurture the young developers,” he said. “After all, if I’m there in my position as it is, then there’s always kind of a relationship. And the young guys are always kind of in a situation where they have to listen to my ideas. But I need some people who are growing up much more than today.”

As for himself, Miyamoto seemed eager to get to work on his new ideas with a smaller, younger staff.

“Anyway, I’m interested in doing a variety of many other things,” he said with his usual cryptic smile.

Wired.com’s full interview with Miyamoto, including his thoughts on Skyward Sword, making Mario Kart 7 with a Western development team, 3-D gaming, cell phones and more on the future of games, will be published next week.

Nintendo's Miyamoto Stepping Down, Working on Smaller Games | Game|Life | Wired.com

Shigeru Miyamoto stepping down as General Manager of Nintendo | Warp Zoned

not sure if this was posted anywhere else yet, I think this is a good move from him, he can work on his smaller projects without the weight and burden of being GM

Sig by Apokolypz

Kiwi Defender

Well, that's a big surprised, but he'll still work for Nintendo (making the title a little missleading). Let's hope this means new, original IPs for Nintendo.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Crocodile Hunter

the title is what the 2 news sources title are that i linked, and stepping down does not mean he is leaving he just stepped down from top dog job

Sig by Apokolypz

Stop looking at me swan!

ooh, that's really surprising news to see. First thing I thought though was that this could bring in some new ideas to the table. Though I don't think his plan will quite go as well as he thinks since everyone is still going to come to him about the same things one way or another.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    the title is what the 2 news sources title are that i linked, and stepping down does not mean he is leaving he just stepped down from top dog job
    I know that's the link's title too (my comment was actually directed at them).

Stepping down is sometimes considered resigning too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeiharu View Post
    ooh, that's really surprising news to see. First thing I thought though was that this could bring in some new ideas to the table. Though I don't think his plan will quite go as well as he thinks since everyone is still going to come to him about the same things one way or another.
    Yeah, I'm sure his new subordinates will tell him that his ideas should be more Mario-like/Zelda-like or something.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Crocodile Hunter

Personally i wanna see new IP's from Nintendo anyway, they cant roll with zelda & mario forever

Sig by Apokolypz

Now this is Podracing

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    Personally i wanna see new IP's from Nintendo anyway, they cant roll with zelda & mario forever
    THIS

But it's good he's sticking with the company. He has given a lot of great games over his time, and helped shape Nintendo into what they are now. Maybe now though he can help introduce new IP's in his new posiiton, as the new head game developer will be working on Zelda/Mario games.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I'm surprised that Miyamoto hasn't burned out sooner, to be honest. The guy is probably the third most recognizable face from Nintendo, after Mario and Link.

I don't necessarily mind new Zelda and Mario (please note, Mario, not Kart, Tennis, Golf, Party, Olympic, or whatever other shitty overused spin-off money grab with his name in it) games are almost always top quality titles that not only sell well, but are critically acclaimed by both fans and critics. But I also agree that new IP's are going to be needed by Nintendo in the months to come, especially with a new system in their future, in order for them to bring back old fans, and get new ones.

This could be a good thing for Nintendo, for all we know Miyamoto could have been holding them back from taking the gamble on new IP's, and could lead to new ideas and games from the gaming giant. This could just work out in Nintendo's favor.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    I'm surprised that Miyamoto hasn't burned out sooner, to be honest. The guy is probably the third most recognizable face from Nintendo, after Mario and Link.

This could be a good thing for Nintendo, for all we know Miyamoto could have been holding them back from taking the gamble on new IP's, and could lead to new ideas and games from the gaming giant. This could just work out in Nintendo's favor.
    This.

Yeah, I'm sorry to see him go, but I have a feeling this will be a good thing for Nintendo.

Maybe without him they will be forced to be the Nintendo I remember as a kid before re-hasing the same IPs 17 times ruined that company.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.