Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Spike VGA 2011 - Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on Spike VGA 2011 - Discussion Thread within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by pRoViSiOn26 How come I didn't see anything about Darksiders 2, Tony Hawk or Hitman? Or did I ...

Scotch and Pain Killers

Quote Originally Posted by pRoViSiOn26 View Post
    How come I didn't see anything about Darksiders 2, Tony Hawk or Hitman? Or did I just miss it? lol :stare:
    You can see watch them all below.

The Bushiest Pig

Only reveal thing I was interested in was The Last of Us, plus the ME3 and Patriots trailers. Kinda disappointed with the reveals this year. Nothing REALLY peaked my interest. I was looking for a MoH 2 teaser.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Only thing good at Spike VGAs was Skyrim winning, Portal 2 winning many awards as they should of, Last of Us Trailer, Mass Effect 3 trailer, Zelda into their hall of fame and Metal Gear Rising. I'm still out on the C&C Generals til I see if it's FPS if so I'll pass if not I'll give it an go at it. The rest of the VGAs was crappy. I went to play Sacred 2 after the VGAs was over to block out how bad it was. So VGAs were mainly to appease the mainstream/casual gamers.
    Lord Fenton
    Gaming since the days of Kings Quest 3

Working On: Dungeon Defenders and Batman:AC(PS3) and Borderlands (PC Steam) til I start round 2 of my BG:EE good guy this time.
    My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GrimFenton

Lvl 6 - Silver

sadly still cant find it anywhere to watch lol. guess ill have to settle for the trailers

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Although it's all really pointless in the end, this opinion piece perfectly describes much of what is very wrong with the VGAs:

http://jasonschreier.com/2011/12/11/spike-vgas/

Toggle Spoiler

Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!

"Tear it all down."

Quote Originally Posted by tai363 View Post
    SKYRIM?!! GOTY?!!! GTFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! BULLSHIT! I CALL!! Batman, Portal, U3, Zelda, all those games couldnt beat out the most laggy, glitched, freezing, game of 2011?!!! BULLSHIT!
    That was somewhat surprising to me too. Though when you consider it, the sheer size and openness of Skyrim is a huge feat in gaming and when you get past the annoying glitches it's quite possibly the best game ever. Which is why it's so unfortunate their are so many bugs and glitches, some of which may never be fixed. And I haven't even bought and played the game yet, here's hoping it's more playable when I get around to playing it.

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

really loved the hitman one. totally awesome

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Fubigs View Post
    That was somewhat surprising to me too. Though when you consider it, the sheer size and openness of Skyrim is a huge feat in gaming and when you get past the annoying glitches it's quite possibly the best game ever. Which is why it's so unfortunate their are so many bugs and glitches, some of which may never be fixed. And I haven't even bought and played the game yet, here's hoping it's more playable when I get around to playing it.
    I have been thinking since yesterday why I was so upset that Skyrim won and I came up with my reason.

Imagine if you made a film that was just sheer epicness, the camera work was brilliant, the dialog was sharp, the lighting was dynamic...but the acting was wooden. Should that film win Best Movie of the Year?

Now imagine you wrote a book that was thought provoking, had interesting characters and plot lines...but the spelling was atrocious and it was filled with grammatical errors. Should it win Best Book of the year?

Skyrim for all of the great things in it was riddled with bugs and in some cases quest ending glitches, those types of things should be factored into the voting.

Now personally I think Portal 2 should have won the award. Not only does it deliver flawlessly on the technical side but it also delivers not 1 but 2 amazing stories (single player and co-op). It actually is a clever puzzle game with an intriguing story, that is very rare.

People are calling Skyrim the best game ever made and those people are delusional. 10 years from now people will look back at Skyrim and laugh at all the glitches and mistakes in the game. Bethesda will have created better games and Skyrim will simply be obsolete. On the other hand I believe Portal 2 can stand the test of time. It is one of those games that can fit into any generation of gaming and isn't hindered by the passage of time and technology.

Once again I am not trashing Skyrim at all, but when considering truly great games you have to imagine 10 years from now will someone pick this up and still think it is great...or will they think it is dated? I have to vote for the latter on this one.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    People are calling Skyrim the best game ever made and those people are delusional. 10 years from now people will look back at Skyrim and laugh at all the glitches and mistakes in the game. Bethesda will have created better games and Skyrim will simply be obsolete.

example: Oblivion

Skyrim is really awesome, but it isn't that awesome.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

The whole VGA is something I don't care for. It's mostly a celebrity thing, made for there amusement. The reveals are cool though.

Legend...Nuff Said

Truthfully I'm still surprised that the Spike VGA's still even exist. I remember watching the very first one, and taped it for some reason back in Uni. I thought it was cool that they got the rights to use MXC footage for it, but David Spade as a host was atrocious. The next year it was Snoop Dogg as the host, and they set-up the nominations so badly it was easy to guess who won...it was always the first name given. After that I couldn't care less.

I saw the list of the winners. Before even looking at it I said to myself "No Japanese game will win an award". Well, I was almost right except for Zelda...but really what else is on the Wii but Zelda and Mario? I didn't see the nominations, so could anyone tell me if there were any non-Wii Japanese games even nominated?

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Ah i was disappointed that batman didnt win goty. I really dont see why Skyrim is that great. I've played it for about 2 hours and i don't see the hype at all.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

The Last of Us looks so awesome.! & Ellie is dirty hot

INTJ

Editorial: Hate the VGAs? Check the Mirror | Piki Geek

It’s easy to sit back here and fling excrement at the VGAs. I mean, really, where do you even start? Charlie Sheen? Bad dick jokes? More time spent on skits than awards? Felicia Day being tossed at “mini-games” and looking incredibly uncomfortable? An earnest teabagging gag? The thousand or so nods to “women don’t play games” and homophobia?

But come on, friends. Do we believe that all of this came out of nowhere? Do we honestly believe that all of this was just a couple of marketers with no idea of who they are advertising to?

The VGAs were put on by Spike TV, a network that primarily advertises to man-children. The network executives here have a pretty damn good grip on the market. And really – video games aren’t exactly hidden under the shroud of mystery, nor have they been for the last decade. You can get a pretty good idea of what the “gaming community” is like (and what they want) by browsing around the Internet for a good five minutes. Appealing to this demographic isn’t challenging.

Every single aspect of the VGAs was designed to appeal to gamers. To you. You’re probably willing to hand-wave that away. I mean, they’re targeting the mainstream casual gamers, right? Not the hardcore badasses that totally know better!

Except they’re not, because “hardcore” games are pretty damn popular, too. This isn’t the 1990s, where only a handful of people have heard of Contra. It’s 2011, and if you’re an 18 to 25 year old human being, you probably know what Skyrim is – let alone Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Zelda. Even if you don’t play them, you’re aware of them, just like any other bit of mainstream pop-culture.

The VGAs were set up to appeal to all gamers. They knew they could get away with offending the intelligence and sensibilities of some as long as they tossed everyone a bone now-and-again. Or a new trailer. Or awful “celebrities” entwined with Internet culture for whatever reason.

Seriously. Sit the **** down, kids. You’re not going to like what you’re about to hear.

You’re misogynistic. You’re homophobic. You’re downright hateful, and you’re no better than anyone else in this demographic*. Why else would they risk telling jokes that would make other networks squirm? They took a cross section of gaming, distilled it down into an awards show, and spit it back at you. If you hated what you saw, then don’t get mad at Spike, or the VGAs. Hell, don’t even get mad at whoever wrote these awful, pathetic jokes. Get livid at yourselves and your fellow gamers, because all they did was mirror you in hopes of turning a profit. If you don’t believe me, just spend a few minutes on your favorite server or gaming forum.

I’m not even just talking about the skits – I’m talking about the awards themselves. There was a big stink about how the VGAs gave more attention to D-list stars than the actual games they were supposed to be representing. Everyone seemed so mad that most of the awards were machine-gunned off by a disembodied voice.

And to that: have you looked around? Can you – with a straight face – tell me that you can’t possibly figure out the reason why they spent so little time on the awards themselves? Here’s a hint: Have you taken a gander over at reddit’s popular /r/gaming board recently? You won’t find intelligent discussion in this almost-million strong bastion of gaming. Instead, you’ll find image memes, one-line replies, clowns tossing punches at each other, a whole lot of hatred for anyone who isn’t fit, white, and male… oh, and trailers. You’ll sometimes see trailers.

Sound familiar?

It should, because it’s the same damn thing everywhere. Sure, there’s academic, mature discussion somewhere, but it ain’t in the public view, chief. It’s buried under layer upon layer of trash.

So don’t blame the VGAs. Sure, they’re perpetuating the stereotypes and the hatred. I can’t argue with that. But they are doing it for a pretty straightforward reason: they think this is who you are.

And if that makes you angry, maybe you should do something about it.

*If you believe for a second that it took me longer than three minutes to find these examples, then may I suggest you open your eyes?

Legend...Nuff Said

What's this r/gaming he is talking about?

I find it laughable that the writer of that article thinks the 'gaming community' as a whole is mirrored by the VGAs. I didn't know the community over here in Korea was the same as in the US. Free tip for him, its not. He should be careful using all encompassing terms like that when different countries have different communities.

Spike is a third-rate TV station that can't even run a fourth-rate award show. I've not seen it, but I think, only suppose, that the Razzies are more professional than that. But I have no proof since I've not seen it on TV.

All that needs to be said is Mark Hamill got invited to the event, got stuck in the bleachers, and got snubbed from even being mentioned as a nominee or even have his category mentioned.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    What's this r/gaming he is talking about?

I find it laughable that the writer of that article thinks the 'gaming community' as a whole is mirrored by the VGAs. I didn't know the community over here in Korea was the same as in the US. Free tip for him, its not. He should be careful using all encompassing terms like that when different countries have different communities.

Spike is a third-rate TV station that can't even run a fourth-rate award show. I've not seen it, but I think, only suppose, that the Razzies are more professional than that. But I have no proof since I've not seen it on TV.

All that needs to be said is Mark Hamill got invited to the event, got stuck in the bleachers, and got snubbed from even being mentioned as a nominee or even have his category mentioned.

gaming.reddit: what's new in gaming

A plat a month!

The problem with Reddit, much like 4chan, is evident when a "hivemind" is formed with a collective brainpower of snot. Even though a few entertaining ideas are posted, much of the content of Reddit is garbage.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456