Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Sony Other OS lawsuit dismissed by court

This is a discussion on Sony Other OS lawsuit dismissed by court within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; A class action lawsuit against Sony has been dismissed by a federal judge. A lawsuit was first brought against Sony ...

  1. #1
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    Ruskigt's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    51
    Reputation
    0

    Sony Other OS lawsuit dismissed by court

    A class action lawsuit against Sony has been dismissed by a federal judge. A lawsuit was first brought against Sony in April 2010 over its decision to remove Linux operating system support from PlayStation 3 consoles. Once several lawsuits emerged, a judge eventually combined them into a single case. The language of that lawsuit was amended earlier this year, and a judge has now dismissed it altogether.

    According to Courthouse News Service, U.S. District Judge Richard Seeborg granted a motion by Sony to dismiss the case. The dismissal comes under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, as Seeborg says that insufficient facts were presented to hold Sony liable.

    "The dismay and frustration at least some PS3 owners likely experienced when Sony made the decision to limit access to the PSN service to those who were willing to disable the Other OS feature on their machines was no doubt genuine and understandable. As a matter of providing customer satisfaction and building loyalty, it may have been questionable," Seeborg wrote. "As a legal matter, however, plaintiffs have failed to allege facts or articulate a theory on which Sony may be held liable."

    This lawsuit was likely responsible for Sony's decision to include a clause in its new Terms of Service waiving users' ability to bring class action lawsuits against the company. Earlier this month, Microsoft enacted a similar policy.
    Source: Sony 'Other OS' Lawsuit Dismissed by Court - PS3 News at IGN

  2. #2
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Seeing as this wasn't an advertised feature, i knew it wasn't going to go anywhere. Good thing the judge had some common sense.

  3. #3
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Seeing as this wasn't an advertised feature, i knew it wasn't going to go anywhere. Good thing the judge had some common sense.

    hi

    OtherOS Will Not Be Removed From non-Slim PS3 Models | PS3-Hacks :: Hack your PlayStation 3
    OtherOS will not be removed from “phat” PS3′s | PS3Hax Network


    (Multiple sources of same news)



    email in response to the message he said:
    [Cbe-oss-dev] No otheros feature on new PS3 slim ?

    The text above was provided to me by SCE management.

    and not even a month later:
    http://www.osnews.com/story/23075/So...ature_from_PS3

    sony lied.

  4. #4
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    Whether they did or not Courts don't care so that's the end of it.

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

  5. #5
    PRO Member
    Blacksheep's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    22
    Reputation
    0

    Regardless of them lying or not, it doesn't even matter in the long run. You can't force a company to continue to support a feature if it's not making money, or it's too much trouble than it's worth. Imagine if battle.net closed for the original star craft game for reason (say blizzard didn't have the money to support it...lol) Would you be able to sue them over closing their servers? I fucking doubt it.

    Basically, all of the butt-hurt pirates and modders are looking for scraps. This was never a solid case.

  6. #6
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Whether they did or not Courts don't care so that's the end of it.

    wave enough money in front of anyone and no one would care ("settlements", Bribery, all the same thing.)


    Legal system has yet to disprove that.

  7. #7
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    wave enough money in front of anyone and no one would care.
    I'm sorry was there reported bribery? I think it was more based on the fact that there was no case here to be presented.

    Before you wave around accusations (like usual) why don't you stop and think about what you are writing. I'm sorry you can present interesting articles and offer good opinions sometimes but the other 90% of the time you say stupid things like this and it ruins all your credibility.

    So I am not saying this to be mean, but for once stop trolling and actually think about what you are writing before you type it. Have a good night.

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

  8. #8
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    I'm sorry was there reported bribery? I think it was more based on the fact that there was no case here to be presented.

    it's better to be skeptical than Trusting after all the shit sony had done/recieved in the last two years.

  9. #9
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    it's better to be skeptical than Trusting after all the shit sony had done/recieved in the last two years.

    See above comment about thinking before you write something and losing credibility with stupid comments.

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

  10. #10
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    -stuff-

    PSN Lockdown due to hacking then Lying their ass off about apache server security, Suing Geohot because he was intelligent enough to make the PS3 have more usage then just a Game console thus rasing it's value, you know the usual stuff sony loves to hate/lie about.


    i just don't trust anything that involves SCE anymore due to stuff like that. if they actually respected their consumers and treated them with actual respect (like actually encrypting all their shit, not just their credit card), Tell us the Full explanation of stuff that happens with good reasoning, giving thumbs up to people who are actually helping their product, they can raise my trust in them.

  11. #11
    PRO Member
    Blacksheep's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    22
    Reputation
    0

    I would never blindly "trust" sony, but they've done nothing in the past for me to question whether or not I want to play ps3. Now if they told me I have to take my pants off every time I played a PS Move game, I'd be a little concerned.
    This whole lawsuit hacker BS is old. All companies are always in it for themselves. There's no such thing as a corporation that gives a shit about you. You are just numbers to them.

  12. #12
    Battlefield 3 <3
    Vx_S3AN_xV's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    100
    Reputation
    3

    Ps360 look at the first two links you used about the lawsuit they were both hacking sites so unless i missed something i'm pretty sure a lot of hacking was able to be done due to geohotz and his software which was keeping companies out of moneyas to my knowledge he also figured out how to jailbreak the iphone/ipod products. Also everytime i see your comments you seem to be laying the hate down on sony in the two years i've been on this site i've read 10 positive statements about sony and the rest just hating on them because of stuff they wanted to do with their product.

    Awesome Sig and Avvy by DaRe_xLw

  13. #13
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    AizawaYuuichi's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,014
    Reputation
    41

    Nice to see this get dismissed. The issue of whether they lied or not is irrelevant to this case, and doesn't cover whether OtherOS was an advertised feature. I know for a fact it wasn't on my original Phat PS3's box as a system feature.
    And claiming that Geohot was "intelligent enough to make the PS3 have more usage then just a Game console thus rasing it's value" is utter bull, as Sony wasn't going to be able to sell it for more, so it did not raise the value of the system, and in fact was the pre-cursor and cause of the PSN hack in the first place, as his work hacking into the processor and security framework of the PS3 OS is what allowed the hackers to use the PS3 to get into Sony's network. If he hadn't been tampering with an OS that he had no rights to, none of the shit to follow would have occurred, and the whiny little bitches who brought these lawsuits would probably have nothing to complain about, because OtherOS would still be there. So really, they only have GeoHot to thank for losing it, as Sony (whether they lied about the reason or not) only removed it to try and protect themselves. But the damage was already done. Hopefully they've learned their lesson and will keep their OSes closed in the future, what with the PSV about to be out, and the PS4 somewhere down the line. Then we can have a hack-proof console, and laugh when the Xbox720 is cracked open within a week.

  14. #14
    A plat a month!
    wandarer's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Near Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,184
    Reputation
    65

    Quote Originally Posted by VxlS3ANlxV View Post
    Ps360 look at the first two links you used about the lawsuit they were both hacking sites so unless i missed something i'm pretty sure a lot of hacking was able to be done due to geohotz and his software which was keeping companies out of moneyas to my knowledge he also figured out how to jailbreak the iphone/ipod products. Also everytime i see your comments you seem to be laying the hate down on sony in the two years i've been on this site i've read 10 positive statements about sony and the rest just hating on them because of stuff they wanted to do with their product.
    Agreed. The sites that was referenced by her are not direct Sony quotes. And even though they are presented in a way that looks like Sony quoted that, it may not be true.

    In the event that those quotes have been said, it is still true to some degree. If you want to install a homebrew setup using Linux, you are free to do so. Just don't update the firmware.



  15. #15
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    BALLZ's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,213
    Reputation
    157

    So does this mean that all the OS crap is finally over and done with?

    Sig and Avatar By djunglist

    My Youtube interview done by KingSuperOne(subscribe)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SAMFW-gDNs

  16. #16
    A plat a month!
    wandarer's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Near Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,184
    Reputation
    65

    Quote Originally Posted by BALLZ View Post
    So does this mean that all the OS crap is finally over and done with?
    With the legal ramifications, most likely yes

    With butthurt dwellers who must complain about everything, no.



  17. #17
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    Quote Originally Posted by BALLZ View Post
    So does this mean that all the OS crap is finally over and done with?
    Probably not, the hackers will probably see this as a sleight against them and go on a hacking spree hacking Sony, The judge who dismissed it, the lawyer who lost and the guy who sold them a bad hot dog outside the courthouse.

    Then they will play some Simple Plan and congratulate themselves on being awesome.

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

  18. #18
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Hi. Come back when you have proof of what i said being wrong. Kthxbye,tryagain

  19. #19
    Lvl 8 - Gold
    Oxymoron28's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    822
    Reputation
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Seeing as this wasn't an advertised feature, i knew it wasn't going to go anywhere. Good thing the judge had some common sense.
    Want me to teach what "advertised" means?

    Also your last part "sony lied", wrong. Sony changed their mind, they are allowed to do that you know? They don't have to seek your permission to do things, and nothing in business is ever set in concrete...

    Your belligerence towards Sony reeks of sheer ignorance, you're quite happy to allow your bias and even miss information influence your posts and not facts.

  20. #20
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    Want me to teach what "advertised" means?

    Also your last part "sony lied", wrong. Sony changed their mind, they are allowed to do that you know? They don't have to seek your permission to do things, and nothing in business is ever set in concrete...

    Your belligerence towards Sony reeks of sheer ignorance, you're quite happy to allow your bias and even miss information influence your posts and not facts.
    Lol, we've already been through this many times with ps360. I'm starting to think if it's a mental issue, that or they failed school HARD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO